• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon still on DS in the future?

Should main series Pokemon games remain on DS in the future?

• Total voters

Saerith

Fear My Glitter!
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 5, 2012
    Well when it does jump over I won't be playing, I don't have the cash to spend £200 on the machine then £50 per game after that lol

Saerith

Fear My Glitter!
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 5, 2012
    its likely they'll finish gen V but as for the remakes theyll probably make the jump with them because hey more money for them that way

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Tell me where you buy your video games from so I can stay away from places that charge one and a half times the normal price.

Years
    If they make a third version of Black/White, it will be on the DS. After that, it will be a toss-up as to what system the next games will be on. If they decide the R/S remakes will be Gen V games, then they'll be on the DS (possibly with a 3DS version). After that, Gen VI will be on the 3DS, because they know that they'll make a good profit off of the games if people have to upgrade to 3DS.

Saerith

Fear My Glitter!
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 5, 2012
    Game its the only shop in my area plus its the price for most of scottish stores hence why i wont be able to get one to play any games that are not on the original

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I didn't realise they don't have the internet in Scotland.

Still, what a wonderfully short-sighted viewpoint to take from people around here.

"I would rather disregard any opportunity to play better Pokémon games in the future because I cannot afford a 3DS at this very moment in time, at least a year before the next Pokémon game comes out in my native language. Therefore I will choose instant self-gratification in the form of another DS game very much similar to the last because I have no concept of foresight."

Last edited:

NatureKeeper

Heh... I'd like to see what they are able to do on the 3DS. Besides, if the 3DS is going to succeed, the aging DS family eventually will need to be left behind, to make way for the new system. I can see them making a few more games for the DS, and then move on to the 3DS. I hope it's not a mid-generation jump for the main series!

*cough*Crystal, 'nyone*cough*

I don't see why not really, people will like Pokémon more on the 3DS. Or at least 3DS enhanced.

jordsters

The master of... TEH FLOON
    Years
    I don't care what it's released for as long as I can play it! Lets face it, when a new handheld console comes out and replaces the DS, Pokémon is going to go to the new console and I'm fine with that, it will open up a lot of new features for us!

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    I don't care what it's released for as long as I can play it! Lets face it, when a new handheld console comes out and replaces the DS, Pokémon is going to go to the new console and I'm fine with that, it will open up a lot of new features for us!

You're right about that, A LOT more possibilities.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    (I'm sure someone else will have said this, but) I think the 3rd game in the series (i.e. the next release) will still be available on the DS, but possibly available on the 3DS as well. Not too sure about RS remakes - if they are to happen - although if they're smart imo they'll also be available on both DS and 3DS.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    (I'm sure someone else will have said this, but) I think the 3rd game in the series (i.e. the next release) will still be available on the DS, but possibly available on the 3DS as well. Not too sure about RS remakes - if they are to happen - although if they're smart imo they'll also be available on both DS and 3DS.

That also depends on 'when' they'll be out. If 2+(very likely), it'd be smart to be 3DS exclusive, imo(with backwards compatibility, trade, etc. wise) as, by then, the system should have time to become a 'main' system.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    Eh, I just think the DS is such an established console that it would be silly to make things 3DS only. Although you've got a point about when they're released, didn't really think about that. I don't know what the time delays were between RSE and FRLG, and DPPt and HGSS so it didn't enter my mind.

PelipperMail

Banned
    Years
    Pokémon can and will survive no matter what platform Gamefreak want's it to stand on. While the 3DS and DS(i/Xl/etc) present their own positives and negatives, it is important to note that a move to the 3DS - especially mid-generation - may not be economically viable, as not many people have 3DS's yet. Personally, I believe that once the 3DS receives an upgrade, (akin to the original DS's DSi) then Gamefreak could consider making some games with features exclusive to the 3DS.

If I recall correctly, Gamefreak announced that there would be 3DS exclusive features, but it wouldn't be mandatory, if you will, to have a 3DS. I'm not sure what these features would be, and how they would be implemented, and I'm not sure it's the right place to discuss it here.

I would like to see, personally, the 3DS to be upgraded with better graphics, and in turn the Pokémon series to be upgraded with better graphics onto the 3DS. However, I think that Gamefreak/Nintendo will be looking to put the third installment of Black and White on the 3DS, and possibly the Ruby/Sapphire remakes as well; but no matter what they do, they are always going to have fans that will play and buy their games. That being said, some people still haven't bought a 3DS (me included), and I will not I would probably buy one just to play a Pokémon game, if it comes to that.

EDIT: Realised that I had read something written by a fan, not by Gamefreak, and my memory somehow screwed it up. Aploogies.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Game Freak have not said a single thing about the 3DS.

Besides which, how can "3DS enhancments" work without kneecapping the quality of the games? Think about how far the 3DS can be pushed graphically compared to the DS.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014

If I recall correctly, Gamefreak announced that there would be 3DS exclusive features, but it wouldn't be mandatory, if you will, to have a 3DS. I'm not sure what these features would be, and how they would be implemented, and I'm not sure it's the right place to discuss it here.

Where exactly did you hear that about Gamefreak? I know the Pokemon Company says it'll still be supporting the DS for a bit, but that could mean spin offs, etc.

I haven't heard of GameFreak themselves saying anything about the matter.

Game Freak have not said a single thing about the 3DS.

Besides which, how can "3DS enhancments" work without kneecapping the quality of the games? Think about how far the 3DS can be pushed graphically compared to the DS.

That is so true, there'd really be no point in putting it on the 3DS then(because of how far ahead of the DS it is in general).

It would've fit if the 3DS was just a DS upgrade and wasn't THAT far ahead in power, etc. but that's just it, the 3DS is it's own line, a successor, not a part of the regular DS line

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    If they make a 6th generation of Pokemon, I think that the Pokemon Company would make it for the 3DS because they expect everyone that loves Pokemon and Nintendo to have a 3DS and probably by the time the 6th generation comes out, there will be another "new" model of the 3DS (just a theory)

:t354:TG

Back