• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Sun and Moon Anime Predictions: Ash and Serena (Possible) Alola Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Luxio//Hacks*

Creator of Sky Twilight + Sky Daylight?
Years
  • Yesterday, I have created a video called 'Ash and Serena's Alola Team Predictions' as I want to share with you guys. Remember this is only based on my opinion. I bet that you guys got different opinion compare to my. Please watch this video and subscribe for more. Oh yeah one more thing... DO NOT forget to either reply or comment on the video that what you think could be in Ash and Serena Alola Team. Thank you and have a great day.

Years
  • Nice to hear you made a video on your opinions, but I feel Serena is likely getting replaced by a new girl when Ash goes to Alola, since it's usually been tradition when a new generation begins.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Nice to hear you made a video on your opinions, but I feel Serena is likely getting replaced by a new girl when Ash goes to Alola, since it's usually been tradition when a new generation begins.

Either her, or Misty. Don't forget that we've got the 20th anniversary of the Anime coming up, the Alola Region's the first region since Hoenn to be primarily a water-based region, Misty, unlike the other girls after her, including most likely Serena, hasn't actually been given an opportunity to either advance her goal of Water Pokémon Master after leaving the group, nor has she actually willingly changed her goal unlike Brock, and besides, they haven't always replaced the prior generation girl with a new generation girl. Remember, in Best Wishes, instead of having Hilda (the playable girl in Generation V) be Ash's female partner in Unova, we had Iris.

The only thing that's remotely clear is that they're probably not going to keep Serena even WITH their breaking a lot of records now (if they didn't keep Iris with Ash for Kalos despite Best Wishes' selling point being a clean slate, it's extremely unlikely they're going to keep Serena for Alola). Girl swapping's probably the only thing that WON'T change with these writers, unfortunately.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I agree it's really unlikely they would keep Serana. It doesn't matter if she likes ash, or is popular with the fanbase, when has that mattered before?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I doubt Misty will be coming back even with the 20th anniversary stuff and all. It doesn't really seem like the writers will even bother caring about a milestone like that. And I don't think Serena will stay either since her story is pretty much done. I think the only option I would care for now is if Gen 7s female protagonist was the next female lead.

Maybe so, but then again, Best Wishes didn't exactly have Hilda act as co-star to Ash, and if anything had Iris be the female lead, so we can't be certain that the Alola girl is going to replace Serena (for all we know, she could just as easily get the same treatment the Anime gave Hilda). And besides, considering they've actually just released a GEM figurine of Misty in her Kanto-era self (not to mention Ash in his Kanto-era self as well, and it's not even the 20th anniversary of the anime yet; the only other GEM set released was of Team Rocket, and considering how, Best Wishes aside, Team Rocket's probably the only characters in the series who DON'T go through a uniform change at all, wearing their white uniform even up to XY, it's pretty clear that the GEM releases for Ash and Misty definitely are pointing towards something in the Anime in the near future. It doesn't make any sense otherwise, since they generally don't do merchandising on old characters from the anime.), I kinda doubt they're going to put that to waste, especially when very rarely have anime franchises ever gotten to the 20th anniversary of anything, and I'm doubtful the writers are going to waste such an opportunity, even WITH how they generally don't care about other stuff, especially if there's an opportunity to boost ratings and sales revenues). And let's face it, having a very old character return to the main cast after all this time actually WOULD be a breath of fresh air and at least be something they haven't done before. Not to mention, considering all the traditions XY broke (Ash getting a water starter only instead of a grass starter if not all three, not getting a full roster before the league or even very early on, heck, even the fact that Ash, unlike prior regions, is actually VERY likely to win the league this time around), the Sun & Moon anime (if there is one, anyways) may break even MORE traditions by actually replacing the prior gen character with an old character, or even having TWO of-age girls on Ash's team. Besides, unlike the other girls, Misty's story wasn't even CLOSE to finished (heck, she can't even pursue her goal right now thanks to the idiot writers forcing her into a gym).

I do agree that they're most likely going to replace Serena, though. The fact that they replaced Iris with Serena despite BW being billed as a fresh start more than makes this clear.

Last edited:

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Ash - Pikachu, Greninja, Rowlet, Pikipek or whatever is the new bird called, the pseudo-legend of the region, and a fire-type.
    Serena - Braixen, Popplio, an Ice-type, maybe Sylveon too.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • As what everyone else said, Serena won't be coming back for Alola and will instead be replaced by Moon/Selene. I can only see Clement and Bonnie coming back for Alola because of the now confirmation that Zygarde will be in the Sun and Moon games, and Bonnie is currently taking care of one of the two Zygarde core forms

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    As what everyone else said, Serena won't be coming back for Alola and will instead be replaced by Moon/Selene. I can only see Clement and Bonnie coming back for Alola because of the now confirmation that Zygarde will be in the Sun and Moon games, and Bonnie is currently taking care of one of the two Zygarde core forms

While I do agree Serena won't be coming back for Alola, I don't understand why must everyone assume that Selene/Moon will be the main girl of the Alola anime? Need I remind everyone that in Best Wishes, they actually had Iris be the main girl, a Gym Leader and not even remotely a player character at all, when they could have just as easily gone with Hilda, the actual female protagonist for the games? We really can't assume that just because they've got a female protagonist, they're necessarily going to use her. Hilda's a perfect example of the anime actually skipping over a perfectly viable female protagonist and instead using a girl who while in the games wasn't actually playable. Unless we get direct evidence that Selene is actually going to be part of the anime as the female lead alongside Ash, we can't assume that she's confirmed to replace Serena. The only thing that actually IS confirmed is that Serena's most likely leaving. If we were to use your logic, we would have had Hilda be the main female lead in Best Wishes instead of Iris. In fact, not counting characters who debuted later in the generation of the games, let alone the various anime series, such as Kris, Leaf, Lyra, and Rosa, Best Wishes is pretty much the first anime series to NOT have a female playable protagonist of the then-current generation join up with Ash (Kris doesn't count, since the original series encompassed both Generations I and II, and besides which, Kris didn't even debut until Crystal while the anime was still underway.).

Last edited:

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
    Years
  • Yeah, I'm not gonna judge who I think it'll be, because they could throw a curveball, but I can say for sure that it won't be Serena. ;_; I'm just gonna sit back and hope that it's Lillie, but I doubt it.

I MEAN i would like Serena to go with them to Alola, but I don't see it happening.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Yeah, I'm not gonna judge who I think it'll be, because they could throw a curveball, but I can say for sure that it won't be Serena. ;_; I'm just gonna sit back and hope that it's Lillie, but I doubt it.

I MEAN i would like Serena to go with them to Alola, but I don't see it happening.

Yeah, and besides, if they wanted to have a female protagonist actually accompany Ash into the next series, they would have thrown that curveball way back in the finale of Best Wishes where Iris would accompany Ash instead of taking the Bullet Train to Johto to further her own journey. If they didn't do it there when the show was considered a fresh start for better or for worse, they aren't going to do it with Serena even WITH it's various breaking of traditions.

We also can't be so sure that Lillie will be the female co-star, either. Yes, she's going to be central to the plot in the games, but that doesn't necessarily mean she'll join Ash. For the record, she could easily turn out like N, and he wasn't even a party member in the anime.

As far as Serena, I want her back even less than May (and considering I've pretty much made clear how much I hated May, you can probably guess my views on Serena aren't much better), at best, she only deserves to be a cameo character if even that. As much as I hate giving any positive feedback to May, at least she was actually shown to have developed, unlike Serena, who still crushes on Ash just because he was nice to her once, barely even met him, basically spent literally half of Kalos being essentially a load before she actually GOT her own goal (even May at least decided to be a Pokémon Coordinator by the time of Roxanne, not to mention at least MADE an effort to be a Pokémon Trainer and going for a gym, instead of waiting until practically halfway through Hoenn to even GET her own goal). And quite frankly, at the beginning of AG and XY, I really don't see why they were even bothering travelling at all (in fact, I'd argue that Serena pretty much beat May regarding whether she had decent motivations. At least with Serena, bad excuse regarding a tacked on history with Ash, she DOES have something resembling a valid reason for joining Ash or even journeying at all. May practically hated Pokémon, and thus had absolutely no real reason to even BE on a Pokémon journey in the first place, let alone go with Ash.). Oh, and also forcing in a ship that seemed to detract from the plot and also was pointless because Ash in this series (and past series) basically was oblivious to even the mere concept of love or affection even when it repeatedly smacked him in the face (at least with Pokeshipping, Ash did to some degree reciprocate any ships on his end with Misty even if the reciprocations were more like jealousy). And that haircut she gave herself when she lost was just going WAY too far.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Serena isn't leaving.

They had their chance at preventing the girl from the prior series from leaving come the new generation with the fresh start series Best Wishes. If they couldn't do it back then, they most certainly can't do it with Serena, even WITH the overturning of various traditions in XY.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    They had their chance at preventing the girl from the prior series from leaving come the new generation with the fresh start series Best Wishes. If they couldn't do it back then, they most certainly can't do it with Serena, even WITH the overturning of various traditions in XY.

Serena staying for Alola is at least more likely than Misty returning as a main character. If Misty hasn't returned for more than a decade, she most likely won't return now either. Writers could have her a cameo when Ash returned to home from Unova, but the writers blew it up. Shows to me the writers aren't very favourable towards Misty.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Serena staying for Alola is at least more likely than Misty returning as a main character. If Misty hasn't returned for more than a decade, she most likely won't return now either. Writers could have her a cameo when Ash returned to home from Unova, but the writers blew it up. Shows to me the writers aren't very favourable towards Misty.

The difference here, however, is that unlike in Unova or even Kalos, Alola's going to be right at the start of the 20th anniversary of the Anime, and then there's the setting of Alola, which is more water-based than land-based (the last time we had a region like that was with Hoenn). Remember what Misty's type speciality and goal was? Water Pokémon Master. See where I'm getting at? Besides, I'm pretty sure even the Anime writers would want to make some degree of celebration for the occasion since most animes don't last as long as twenty years, and as such is truly a rare milestone to achieve (at least, that's what Famon claims). And then there's the fact that we're getting G.E.M. series figurines for the Original series versions of Ash AND Misty, and while Ash can be pointed to early Kanto due to the presence of Charmander, we can't say that Misty has a firm placement of which original series portion she is part of beyond being after Who Gets To Keep Togepi? because her Pokémon are Togepi and Psyduck in that figurine set. And let's not forget also that they're selling figurines of a character who by that point has been largely retired, which is unusual especially since the Pokémon merchandising generally doesn't even focus on old characters, not even during the 10th anniversary. And the figurines were just released, too early for it to be focusing on the Anime's 20th Anniversary (that's next year). Did I also mention that Brock isn't even part of that set even though he was a former main character and one of the original trio? And before you cite that Team Rocket got a G.E.M. figure, that at least can be assumed to be their Kalos selves, since, Best Wishes aside, Team Rocket are the only major characters to actually KEEP their outfits each series (not to mention their only consistent Pokémon besides Meowth, again, Best Wishes aside, was Wobbuffet), so that's not evidence against Misty returning, and if anything is even MORE reinforcement towards Misty's return.

And in all fairness to Unova and Misty being shafted, Unova itself was a mess, considering they turned Ash stupid, even by his usual standards, the fact that they kept Team Rocket inconsistent, and actually ruined a lot of potential for advertising Black 2 and White 2, oh, and gave Dawn an absolutely pointless cameo appearance. And I wouldn't say Misty was shafted that badly, considering that they DID have that Team Rocket Radio episode where Ash and Misty took over and they even promised that Misty would in fact return. We could even say the writers weren't very favorable to Ash considering just how shafted he was (he even did worse in that league than the prior one, something not even the Hoenn League, which until then was Ash's worst turnout ever, accomplished).

Besides, by that logic, Jessiebelle would have absolutely no reason to return in DP after her appearance in Kanto specifically BECAUSE it was over a decade later, yet last time I checked, not only did she return in DP (she even got a mention in the second episode of the series), but she even returned two years later right after the Cyrus incident in fact, and she had even LESS reason to reappear than Misty would right here. And don't forget Brock's Mom: She had only a token mention in Episode 5, and it was such a brief mention that 4Kids even claimed she was dead in that mention and left a later plothole later on when, whoops, she was alive all along, yet she then made her debut in the Hoso Specials, and later, Grating Places, five to nine years later, and then had a cameo in the ending to Movie 11. All of those were COTDs, which basically means they were not exactly meant to make more appearances, so if they could get reappearances even after more than a decade, Misty most certainly can, and unlike them, Misty's reappearance actually CAN be justified, via it being the 20th anniversary.

Either way, it's pretty clear Serena's going to leave (they couldn't keep Iris when they had the opportunity via it being a fresh start to do so, what makes you think that Serena could do it. And besides, isn't her goal to become Kalos Queen? No way she can do that while traveling with Ash to Alola).

EDIT: I might as well also add that her voice actress, Mayumi Iizuka, is still active in the industry, so there's also a little more evidence pointing towards it. Certainly, she has more of a chance of returning than May since her VA, KAORI, quit voice acting to pursue pop idol singing a'la Hillary Duff.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I mean, I hope not, and it would be cool to see what she does with the new Alola Pokemon, but idk.

She could always stay, and one of the male gym leaders would join up with them.

After all, Brock was around for more than one region, so they could break the mold again..

They had the opportunity to break that mold in the ending DP after Masamitsu Hidaka was kicked upstairs after Battle Frontier (since apparently the girl-swapping thing was his idea as a means to promote sexual fanservice to 10 year olds, just look at WPM's interview with them), and in the ending of Best Wishes when they had a fresh start, and thus didn't NEED to continue that tradition. Both times, they held to the tradition, which means they're more likely than not going to uphold the tradition with Serena (and in fact, considering her goal is to become the Kalos Queen, they practically stated she's not going to be continuing on. How can she continue with that goal with Ash if he goes to Alola?). Probably the closest thing they're going to do in regards to breaking the mold is who exactly they'll replace Serena with (they may pull a Hilda with the Sun and Moon girl, we definitely know Lillie's most likely not going to join thanks to the revelation that she's not a Pokémon Trainer at all (heck, she hates battling), and unless they replace her with a regional Gym Leader of Alola (which considering the strains they did trying to avoid repeating the mistake they made with Unova in Kalos, it's unlikely), the only likely option is that they may bring back an old character. That's definitely a twist that wouldn't be likely to be seen coming you have to admit, certainly something not tried before, and besides, it's coming close to the 20th anniversary of the anime anyways, so what's to say they aren't going to have Misty return, especially with the surprising amount of merchandising relating to Misty that's coming out right now (Brock's been around for three times as long as Misty, and he doesn't get anything beyond the Gym Leader collection from the games).

Years
  • They had the opportunity to break that mold in the ending DP after Masamitsu Hidaka was kicked upstairs after Battle Frontier (since apparently the girl-swapping thing was his idea as a means to promote sexual fanservice to 10 year olds, just look at WPM's interview with them), and in the ending of Best Wishes when they had a fresh start, and thus didn't NEED to continue that tradition. Both times, they held to the tradition, which means they're more likely than not going to uphold the tradition with Serena (and in fact, considering her goal is to become the Kalos Queen, they practically stated she's not going to be continuing on. How can she continue with that goal with Ash if he goes to Alola?). Probably the closest thing they're going to do in regards to breaking the mold is who exactly they'll replace Serena with (they may pull a Hilda with the Sun and Moon girl, we definitely know Lillie's most likely not going to join thanks to the revelation that she's not a Pokémon Trainer at all (heck, she hates battling), and unless they replace her with a regional Gym Leader of Alola (which considering the strains they did trying to avoid repeating the mistake they made with Unova in Kalos, it's unlikely), the only likely option is that they may bring back an old character. That's definitely a twist that wouldn't be likely to be seen coming you have to admit, certainly something not tried before, and besides, it's coming close to the 20th anniversary of the anime anyways, so what's to say they aren't going to have Misty return, especially with the surprising amount of merchandising relating to Misty that's coming out right now (Brock's been around for three times as long as Misty, and he doesn't get anything beyond the Gym Leader collection from the games).

Except the problem is that I think the writers will be so oblivious to the 20th anniversary they likely won't promote it in the slightest. XY had absolutely no ORAS-related promotion (aside from some of the new Megas appearing), BW didn't do much in the way of B2W2 promotion, showing these two sagas didn't promote a new game as well as how AG handled FRLG promotion and DP handled HGSS promotion. AG and DP both had their respective girl catch a starter from the remake, and XY had the perfect opportunity to promote ORAS by giving Serena a Hoenn starter but instead decided to introduce a new rival who had a Treecko who seems to be suffering from writer favoritism.

SM is probably not going to bring Misty back considering how long she has been off the main cast now, so it's likely I'm expecting SM female protagonist + male Alola Gym Leader since it's been a typical pattern for most of the generation sagas. BW was the exception since they wanted to pull a Kanto and it failed a lot thanks to Ash being a complete doofus who everyone hated so much that they wanted to skip that series entirely.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    They had the opportunity to break that mold in the ending DP after Masamitsu Hidaka was kicked upstairs after Battle Frontier (since apparently the girl-swapping thing was his idea as a means to promote sexual fanservice to 10 year olds, just look at WPM's interview with them), and in the ending of Best Wishes when they had a fresh start, and thus didn't NEED to continue that tradition. Both times, they held to the tradition, which means they're more likely than not going to uphold the tradition with Serena (and in fact, considering her goal is to become the Kalos Queen, they practically stated she's not going to be continuing on. How can she continue with that goal with Ash if he goes to Alola?). Probably the closest thing they're going to do in regards to breaking the mold is who exactly they'll replace Serena with (they may pull a Hilda with the Sun and Moon girl, we definitely know Lillie's most likely not going to join thanks to the revelation that she's not a Pokémon Trainer at all (heck, she hates battling), and unless they replace her with a regional Gym Leader of Alola (which considering the strains they did trying to avoid repeating the mistake they made with Unova in Kalos, it's unlikely), the only likely option is that they may bring back an old character. That's definitely a twist that wouldn't be likely to be seen coming you have to admit, certainly something not tried before, and besides, it's coming close to the 20th anniversary of the anime anyways, so what's to say they aren't going to have Misty return, especially with the surprising amount of merchandising relating to Misty that's coming out right now (Brock's been around for three times as long as Misty, and he doesn't get anything beyond the Gym Leader collection from the games).

I just read your previous posts from 2005 on wards. You speculated Misty would return in DP, she didn't. Instead we had Dawn and Misty didn't even made a physical appearance, her appearance was reduced to a mere lure reference. Then, again you speculated return of a gym leader for Unova. Well, we had a gym leader (but wasn't Misty) in form of Iris who was very similar to Misty with an almost identical goal. I'm pretty sure Misty isn't going to return in Alola either. Chances are you might predict Misty's return for the 8th gen anime and I'm pretty sure Misty won't return in 8th gen anime either in 2020. Seriously, how many proofs do we need that the writers don't favour older characters especially Misty who has gone without an actual appearance for the longest (more than a decade)?

Why do you think Dawn got more episodes in her cameo (9 episodes in Best Wishes) than Misty and May ? Simply because she's more popular in Japan than the other 2 girls. Logical thinking implies that if Misty was popular in Japan, there is no way the writers would have gone so long (more than a decade) without her actually appearing in the anime, like I said in my previous post it was very easy for the writers to have Misty visit Pallet (like she did when Ash returned from Hoenn) when Ash returned from Unova, but they didn't. Misty is least popular main girl in Japan next to Iris. Dawn and Serena are clearly more popular than her, hence Serena's chances of staying back are higher than Misty's return as a permanent companion. A cameo appearance is likely when Ash visits Pallet but that's it. Chances of her returning as a permanent member are non-existent. Though, I agree Misty does have legitimate reasons to return but that's not going to happen.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2017
    I really hope serena is the main girl in next generation anime.
    I'm more think about that a gym leader from the sun and moon game is getting main girl in anime, like the original series and b/w. ^^
    Ash beginn with Pikachu thats for sure.
    And if Serena comes with ash to alola region than there isn't some change except evolves for first. :)

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I just read your previous posts from 2005 on wards. You speculated Misty would return in DP, she didn't. Instead we had Dawn and Misty didn't even made a physical appearance, her appearance was reduced to a mere lure reference. Then, again you speculated return of a gym leader for Unova. Well, we had a gym leader (but wasn't Misty) in form of Iris who was very similar to Misty with an almost identical goal. I'm pretty sure Misty isn't going to return in Alola either. Chances are you might predict Misty's return for the 8th gen anime and I'm pretty sure Misty won't return in 8th gen anime either in 2020. Seriously, how many proofs do we need that the writers don't favour older characters especially Misty who has gone without an actual appearance for the longest (more than a decade)?

Why do you think Dawn got more episodes in her cameo (9 episodes in Best Wishes) than Misty and May ? Simply because she's more popular in Japan than the other 2 girls. Logical thinking implies that if Misty was popular in Japan, there is no way the writers would have gone so long (more than a decade) without her actually appearing in the anime, like I said in my previous post it was very easy for the writers to have Misty visit Pallet (like she did when Ash returned from Hoenn) when Ash returned from Unova, but they didn't. Misty is least popular main girl in Japan next to Iris. Dawn and Serena are clearly more popular than her, hence Serena's chances of staying back are higher than Misty's return as a permanent companion. A cameo appearance is likely when Ash visits Pallet but that's it. Chances of her returning as a permanent member are non-existent. Though, I agree Misty does have legitimate reasons to return but that's not going to happen.

And if Misty truly was hated by the Japanese audiences, the least popular as you put it, why are they releasing merchandising of her right now, especially when the 20th anniversary of the anime hasn't even happened yet, AND had a special Team Rocket special episode dedicated to Ash and Misty with a pretty strong hint that they'll see each other again (proof: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f228/sa...pisode-014-sept-30-2012-iizumi-mayumi-140149/; http://allthingsmisty.tumblr.com/post/32695135093/pokeshipping-a-picture-of-rika-and-mayumi-ash)? That would never have worked if people didn't like her at all in Japan especially when Team Rocket Radio was a Japanese-exclusive broadcasting program. And having more episodes dedicated to Dawn means nothing. Broly, for example, had the most movies dedicated to him in DBZ, and he's also gotten a lot of publicity for a movie villain, even appearing in games that otherwise don't feature movie villains at all. Yet if TVTropes' creator's pet article is to be believed, Broly's utterly HATED by the Japanese. Same deal with Paul, where he's listed as a Creator's Pet as well. Also, Misty was highly praised by Anime Classics Zettai!: 100 Must-See Japanese Animation Masterpieces, which last I checked WAS a Japanese publication. They even stated that she contributed heavily to the series' ideal, and I knew a few Japanese people willing to bring her back (and I don't mean Americans of Japanese heritage, but actual Japanese people who transferred over to America). Did I also mention one of the writers of several of the Pokémon Morning Shows actually uploaded a drawing of Misty? https://twitter.com/shoko55mmts/status/543837442453676032 I also forgot to mention how the times Misty returned in AG, the ratings actually increased, not decreased (http://pokeani.s47.xrea.com/s-title/subtitle-ag-hoenn.html). If they hated Misty, was the least popular of Ash's companions, don't you think the ratings would, I don't know, decrease?

And as far as Dawn, her return was completely pointless, especially when it did absolutely nothing to further her goal.

Also, Serena's Amourshipping's less popular compared to Pokeshipping (just ask any Doushinji corner, they'll tell you). And if her shipping's unpopular, what makes you think she as a character's popular? And for the record, as others pointed out, even if Serena IS more popular than Misty in Japan, that won't matter one bit considering she doesn't have ANY reason to continue with Ash (her goal is to become KALOS QUEEN, meaning, it's clear just from her goal she can't continue).

I might as well add something else: Misty's characterization in the games was even expanded to include her characterization in the Anime, like her fangirling Lorelei, or her desire to travel, or, well, practically everything relating to her characterization in the anime save for the bit regarding her sisters. If that doesn't speak to immense popularity by the Japanese base, I don't know what does. I also heard that Takeshi Shudo admitted that removing Misty was a mistake. Why would he think it was a mistake if she was unpopular?

Except the problem is that I think the writers will be so oblivious to the 20th anniversary they likely won't promote it in the slightest. XY had absolutely no ORAS-related promotion (aside from some of the new Megas appearing), BW didn't do much in the way of B2W2 promotion, showing these two sagas didn't promote a new game as well as how AG handled FRLG promotion and DP handled HGSS promotion. AG and DP both had their respective girl catch a starter from the remake, and XY had the perfect opportunity to promote ORAS by giving Serena a Hoenn starter but instead decided to introduce a new rival who had a Treecko who seems to be suffering from writer favoritism.

I fail to see how they'd be oblivious when G.E.M Series actually released figurines of OS-era Ash and Misty just recently (especially when they generally don't focus on old characters. Heck, XY even had a reuse of the Pokémon main theme song from the original series, and BW even brought Charizard back permanently enough to be upgraded to an Oaked Pokémon rather than training under someone else's hands, so I'm doubtful they will ignore this.

SM is probably not going to bring Misty back considering how long she has been off the main cast now, so it's likely I'm expecting SM female protagonist + male Alola Gym Leader since it's been a typical pattern for most of the generation sagas. BW was the exception since they wanted to pull a Kanto and it failed a lot thanks to Ash being a complete doofus who everyone hated so much that they wanted to skip that series entirely.

So what? Jessiebelle hadn't appeared for a decade to twelve years. Didn't stop her from making a reappearance in DP, and she was a minor character. If they can do it with COTDs whose entire point of existence based on the name is solely to exist for that episode (maybe get more episodes if they prove to be particularly popular), they can certainly do it with old former main characters. And besides, I'm pretty sure the writers aren't that oblivious to the 20th anniversary looming around the corner. Heck, they even made a 10th anniversary special around the time of the 10th anniversary of the games.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back