• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Sun and Moon Anime Predictions: Ash and Serena (Possible) Alola Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    So what? Jessiebelle hadn't appeared for a decade to twelve years. Didn't stop her from making a reappearance in DP, and she was a minor character. If they can do it with COTDs whose entire point of existence based on the name is solely to exist for that episode (maybe get more episodes if they prove to be particularly popular), they can certainly do it with old former main characters. And besides, I'm pretty sure the writers aren't that oblivious to the 20th anniversary looming around the corner. Heck, they even made a 10th anniversary special around the time of the 10th anniversary of the games.

Actual appearance in the anime is better than appearance in merchandise any day. May, Dawn and Serena have their merchandises too. I still fail to see why they didn't have Misty appear in person for so long if she is popular? As for the ratings, rating tend to rise whenever an old character returns. Charizard and Dawn episodes in Best Wishes had higher ratings.

Also, what makes you think that Pokeshipping is more popular than Amourshipping? I don't know what is this Doushinji corner, may google later on.

-Facebook has 2 pages of Amourshipping each with 20000 likes which is much greater than the number of likes of other pairings (including Ash x Misty).
    -Petition to have Serena return to Alola has around 10000 signatures in around 1 month on a site called change.org (look for it on google can't post the link since I don't have enough points)
    -Amourshipping regularly trends on Twitter, Junichi Masuda twitted picture of Ash and Serena as pikachus with #Amourshipping.
    -Youtube search results : Amourshipping -> ~76000, Pokeshipping -> ~26000, which is impressive considering Amour is only little more than 2.5 years old.
    -Most viewed Amour video has 6.5 million views (video is titled "Ash X Serena - my life would suck without you"), 20000 likes, 3500 comments, pokeshipping pales in comparison even here. It's not very complicated process, just type the ship name and sort results according to view count and you'd see the difference in popularity between these ships with your eyes.
    -Amour also has around 7-8 videos with more than 1 Million views, again Pokeshipping lags behind.
    -According to my observation Amour is clearly more popular than Poke on youtube, facebook, twitter, wattpad etc.
    -Amourshipping wins most of the " ship vs ship polls " on serebiiforums, myanimelist, google+ communities, twitter etc. (Again google it since I can't post the links) by a considerable margin too in most cases. For instance on Serebii Pokeshipping got 45 votes where as Amour got 232 votes (Type in Ash shipping poll serebiiforums and see for yourself)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Actual appearance in the anime is better than appearance in merchandise any day. May, Dawn and Serena have their merchandises too. I still fail to see why they didn't have Misty appear in person for so long if she is popular? As for the ratings, rating tend to rise whenever an old character returns. Charizard and Dawn episodes in Best Wishes had higher ratings.

Also, what makes you think that Pokeshipping is more popular than Amourshipping? I don't know what is this Doushinji corner, may google later on.

-Facebook has 2 pages of Amourshipping each with 20000 likes which is much greater than the number of likes of other pairings (including Ash x Misty).
    -Petition to have Serena return to Alola has around 10000 signatures in around 1 month on a site called change.org (look for it on google can't post the link since I don't have enough points)
    -Amourshipping regularly trends on Twitter, Junichi Masuda twitted picture of Ash and Serena as pikachus with #Amourshipping.
    -Youtube search results : Amourshipping -> ~76000, Pokeshipping -> ~26000, which is impressive considering Amour is only little more than 2.5 years old.
    -Most viewed Amour video has 6.5 million views (video is titled "Ash X Serena - my life would suck without you"), 20000 likes, 3500 comments, pokeshipping pales in comparison even here.
    -Amour also has around 7-8 videos with more than 1 Million views, again Pokeshipping lags behind.
    -According to my observation Amour is clearly more popular than Poke on youtube, facebook, twitter, wattpad etc.
    -Amourshipping wins most of the " ship vs ship polls " on serebiiforums, myanimelist, google+ communities, twitter etc. (Again google it since I can't post the links)

And like I said, if Misty was less popular, she wouldn't get ANY merchandising, and the ratings would be on the decline whenever she appears, like Scrappy Doo. And common sense, the entire POINT of merchandising for a character is to capitalize on their popularity for money, and Team Rocket Radio IS part of the Anime.

Also, I've seen an online Misty petition that had over 30,000 signatures, and I managed to get over 900 signatures at school just within a few weeks to bring Misty back. Oh, and a few Vanderland Elementary School kids managed to sign a similar petition nearby. Besides, as I and others said, those fans are just kidding themselves if they think that the petition will do them any good. I sent a petition to bring Misty back, even threatening a boycott, and they didn't even respond. And besides, do you really think they'll keep Serena for Alola when her goal made it explicit she's staying in Kalos (in other words, her goal is to become "Kalos Queen")? Serena had far more hints in the show that she's going to leave than any of her predecessors did. Even most people who disagreed with my claim that they're more likely to bring Misty back nonetheless agreed that Serena's definitely a goner by the time XY is out.

As far as the Doushinji corner, read this: https://allthingsmisty.tumblr.com/p...t-the-pokeshipping-contestshipping-doujin-was And based on what IrregularMaverickZ said, this was pretty much true (and he'd know, he lives in Japan, or at least, the way he talks about what goes on there indicates he knows a lot about Japan.). Did I also mention that the ratings for XY are absolute trash right now?

Also, I've seen a twitter post where Serena actually LOST to Misty, and by the director of Pokémon Sunday, no less (not to say Misty won the contest, BTW. Actually, surprisingly enough, JESSIE won that contest). https://kisarasmoon.deviantart.com/journal/Director-of-Pokemon-chooses-Misty-over-Serena-599750525 ; https://twitter.com/fushigisoup0011/status/712796709223403520

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    And like I said, if Misty was less popular, she wouldn't get ANY merchandising, and the ratings would be on the decline whenever she appears, like Scrappy Doo. And common sense, the entire POINT of merchandising for a character is to capitalize on their popularity for money, and Team Rocket Radio IS part of the Anime.

Also, I've seen an online Misty petition that had over 30,000 signatures, and I managed to get over 900 signatures at school just within a few weeks to bring Misty back. Oh, and a few Vanderland Elementary School kids managed to sign a similar petition nearby. Besides, as I and others said, those fans are just kidding themselves if they think that the petition will do them any good. I sent a petition to bring Misty back, even threatening a boycott, and they didn't even respond. And besides, do you really think they'll keep Serena for Alola when her goal made it explicit she's staying in Kalos (in other words, her goal is to become "Kalos Queen")? Serena had far more hints in the show that she's going to leave than any of her predecessors did. Even most people who disagreed with my claim that they're more likely to bring Misty back nonetheless agreed that Serena's definitely a goner by the time XY is out.

I fail to see how it is a concrete evidence to prove your point. Not to say, it is derived from a blog dedicated to Misty. Speaking of Japanese fans, I do have many Japanese friends (10-15 of them on facebook). My cousin is an intern in Sony in Japan. According to him, Serena is the most popular character and Amourshipping is the most popular ship ever in pokemon. There have been 3 official posters by official magazines showing only Ash and Serena, one of them was released on valentine's day and shows Serena holding a heart shaped balloon while staring at Ash.

Kisarasmoon is also a huge pokeshipper on devianart, I want unbiased links from neutral sites (not from Misty dedicated blogs since they'd be biased towards Misty anyway). Also, that poll was conducted to find which female character in pokemon who be best waifu in general (not for Ash). Jessie won because she is older and closer to marriageable age.

Popular = something which is liked by more people, there are many people on social networking sites speaking about which Facebook, Twitter and youtube are arguably the most popular ones. Like I said (with evidences), more people are showing support for Amourshipping than Pokeshipping. I'd rather believe in what I see from my naked eyes than what I hear from others.

I can show you 10-15 polls on different websites (including Japanese) where Misty lost to Serena.

Also, speaking about the petition the difference is Misty's petition accumulated 30000 signs over a period of 4-5 years. Serena's petition has garnered 10000 in just 1 month and at this rate could gather well over 150000 in 4-5 years in a hypothetical scenario. I agree though, petitions are useless and won't change a damn thing.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I fail to see how it is a concrete evidence to prove your point. Not to say, it is derived from a blog dedicated to Misty. Speaking of Japanese fans, I do have many Japanese friends (10-15 of them on facebook). My cousin is an intern in Sony in Japan. According to him, Serena is the most popular character and Amourshipping is the most popular ship ever in pokemon. There have been 3 official posters by official magazines showing only Ash and Serena, one of them was released on valentine's day and shows Serena holding a heart shaped balloon while staring at Ash.

Kisarasmoon is also a huge pokeshipper on devianart, I want unbiased links from neutral sites (not from Misty dedicated blogs since they'd be biased towards Misty anyway). Also, that poll was conducted to find which female character in pokemon who be best waifu in general (not for Ash). Jessie won because she is older and closer to marriageable age.

Popular = something which is liked by more people, there are many people on social networking sites speaking about which Facebook, Twitter and youtube are arguably the most popular ones. Like I said (with evidences), more people are showing support for Amourshipping than Pokeshipping. I'd rather believe in what I see from my naked eyes than what I hear from others.

I can show you 10-15 polls on different websites (including Japanese) where Misty lost to Serena.

Also, speaking about the petition the difference is Misty's petition accumulated 30000 signs over a period of 4-5 years. Serena's petition has garnered 10000 in just 1 month and at this rate could gather well over 150000 in 4-5 years in a hypothetical scenario. I agree though, petitions are useless and won't change a damn thing.

Yeah, and we've got a Pokémon Sunday director and a Pokémon morning show host who BOTH expressed support for Misty, and I've seen PLENTY of Japanese fan artwork for Misty on DeviantART. And what makes you think you're not being biased towards Serena, for that matter?

And if Serena and Ash were truly the most popular ship, don't you think that during the infamous date episode, they would have, I don't know, actually HAVE Ash reciprocate Serena's feelings instead of ending with nothing changed? I know if I were in their shoes and I were to do things based on actual popularity by the fans and Serenashipping was indeed popular, I would have made SURE that by the end of the episode, Ash act all lovey-dovey back to Serena and it sticks, NOT have him be as oblivious to her feelings as before. And BTW, based on Irregular Maverick Z's response when I mentioned that Tumblr blog regarding the doushinji blog, that actually IS true with Japan (and he'd know, since he's either Japanese himself or otherwise has very close knowledge on the way Japanese fanbases and marketing works): https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8556080&postcount=97

My intention was actually to link to a Tumblr blog which Kisaramoon's DeviantART Journal linked to, which contained a twitter link to that Sunday director in question. Since you want to use social media as an example, I'll give it to you exclusively and again: https://twitter.com/fushigisoup0011/status/712796709223403520 And think about it, why would they even MENTION Misty as being part of the Top 3, let alone beating out Serena, if it wasn't for the fans? Same deal with literally incorporating a lot of anime Misty's personality into game Misty, something not even Brock managed to achieve. Also, Kisarasmoon doesn't hate Serena herself or Amourshipping, she just thinks she and her ship were very poorly written, and she has pretty convincing arguments towards that case (and besides which, she doesn't dislike the ship because she's a self-admitted Pokeshipper. In fact, in her recent blog, she noted her awareness on how plenty of girls besides Misty have crushed on Ash before and never minded it).

The Team Rocket Radio episode involving Ash and Misty, BTW, aired around the time XY was about to begin, if not already began, and if that doesn't speak to Misty's popularity among the Japanese, I don't know what does (especially when they are doing so in-character).

And like I said, those fans were kidding themselves since Serena's own goal made it explicit that she's not going to continue to Alola, not unless they REALLY have her throw her goal away. In a way, it's the opposite of Misty: Instead of Misty being forced to put her goal aside due to her sisters, they're going to have Serena throw her goal away just to continue being with Ash.

Also, use common sense, do you really think Serena's more popular than Misty in Japan when the series she belongs to, XY, is consistently receiving terrible ratings even by Pokémon anime standards since AG, not to mention did repeatedly poorly at the box office (the first movie alone had the worst turnout for a debuting Generation movie, as generally, debuting movies do better than the final movie of a generation. And don't get me started on how the Hoopa movie bombed utterly in Japan, did even WORSE than Pokémon Heroes), and if IrregularMaverickZ is to be believed (and he does give sources proving it to be the case via BandaiLists) actually managed to bomb in the merchandising market?

Last edited:

L'Belle

I am beauty!
    Years
  • Okay. Here are my predictions IF serena goes with Ash (which I doubt)

Ash
    - Litten --> Evolution? --> Evolution? This fits him the most in my opinion
    - Pikipek --> Evolution --> evolution. This is pretty much canon. We know it will happen
    - Iwanko. I just have this feeling....

Serena
    - Rowlet + evolutions? Again, fits her the most.
    - Grubbin + evolutions. It just looks like a Serena Pokémon in my eyes

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    Also, use common sense, do you really think Serena's more popular than Misty in Japan when the series she belongs to, XY, is consistently receiving terrible ratings even by Pokémon anime standards since AG, not to mention did repeatedly poorly at the box office (the first movie alone had the worst turnout for a debuting Generation movie, as generally, debuting movies do better than the final movie of a generation. And don't get me started on how the Hoopa movie bombed utterly in Japan, did even WORSE than Pokémon Heroes), and if IrregularMaverickZ is to be believed (and he does give sources proving it to be the case via BandaiLists) actually managed to bomb in the merchandising market?

-You are doing radio shows, selling Misty's merchanidse but can't have Misty appear even for once as a person in the anime. Why is it so difficult for them to have Misty appear even for a little cameo of few seconds in a decade if she's popular?

-Misty was obviously more popular than Serena everywhere (including Japan) before 2015. After the hair cut episode and all the character development Serena went through, her fanbase sky-rocketed.

-Hence, most of the polls in 2015/16 have Serena edging out Misty in them. It'd different with the polls of 2013/14 when XY was new, Misty won all of them because Serena was a new character.

-Ratings were high when Misty was in the show because the whole concept was new, even if Misty returns permanently the ratings are going to be trash anyway. It's no rocket science, for the ratings to rise, the show would have to allow Ash win Kalos league, have him age, have him reach closer to his goal. Misty's return is going to change nothing if the basic formula of the show remains the same.

-Well, if they have Ash reciprocate Serena's feeling, that would have killed all other Ash-shippings (which are already on life support BTW). They are going to wait towards the end maybe after the team flare arc for Ash to show more blatant hints of liking Serena back. It wouldn't make sense to make Amour canon in the middle of the series.

-Come to think of it, If you were in-charge of the anime and you knew Misty was most popular girl then wouldn't you have her at the very least appear in a cameo for around 2-3 episodes, maybe have her see Ash's Sinnoh league battle on TV ? Why aren't anime producers have Misty return if they know she's the most popular ? This simply doesn't make sense to me. I'd take an actual appearance over a radio show any day.

-Deviart is a rare place where pokeshipping is still more popular than amourshipping, but in majority of places amour is more popular which you can easily see for yourself through search results on youtube, twitter, facebook, etc.

-Bulbapedia's Amourshipping page is already longer than Pokeshipping in just 120 episodes compared to 280 episodes of pokeshipping. There are hints from Ash too, blushing and jealousy is absent though but there are other hints about which you can look for on bulbapedia.

-I know many people on serebiiforums that are from Japan like Dephender (he is very knowledgable), PK, AshSerena. Ask them about the popularity status of Misty and Serena in Japan. They'd tell you.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    -You are doing radio shows, selling Misty's merchanidse but can't have Misty appear even for once as a person in the anime. Why is it so difficult for them to have Misty appear even for a little cameo of few seconds in a decade if she's popular?

If she weren't popular, she wouldn't even HAVE many merchandise. Use common sense, the only way a character would get a LOT of merchandise is if she IS popular. And BTW, there are plenty of factors of not getting a cameo that have nothing to do with popularity. For example, the writers bungling their own franchise due to making stupid mistakes, or the actress deciding to retire from voice acting, or even the actor being dead and wanting to pay respects to the actor by not reusing the character. And for the record, Misty DID get cameos even in Best Wishes, like those flashbacks, and they even hired Mayumi Iizuka for voicing her in one of those flashbacks.

-Misty was obviously more popular than Serena everywhere (including Japan) before 2015. After the hair cut episode and all the character development Serena went through, her fanbase sky-rocketed.

So why is it that even after that, they decided to be dead set on having Serena leave by the end of the region, even giving her a goal so specific that it basically makes a neon sign saying "Hi, I'm going to be leaving at the end of the series"? If it's true her popularity skyrocketed after that (and BTW, I've seen people actually MOCK Serena for her haircut due to how stupidly it was handled).

-Hence, most of the polls in 2015/16 have Serena edging out Misty in them. It'd different with the polls of 2013/14 when XY was new, Misty won all of them because Serena was a new character.

Yes, except those polls don't correspond to the very bad ratings and bad movie sales XY is receiving right now.

-Ratings were high when Misty was in the show because the whole concept was new, even if Misty returns permanently the ratings are going to be trash anyway. It's no rocket science, for the ratings to rise, the show would have to allow Ash win Kalos league, have him age, have him reach closer to his goal. Misty's return is going to change nothing if the basic formula of the show remains the same.

Sure, Misty returning alone won't ensure a significant increase, but it can certainly raise it by at least a little, if AG's Misty reappearances are anything to go by. And yes, they're definitely going to need to do a lot more than just bring Misty back to have the ratings rise to at least Johto levels, like have Ash win a league, have him age, or have him actually get him closer to his goal WITHOUT someone basically stealing his thunder (like Orange Islands or Battle Frontier).

-Well, if they have Ash reciprocate Serena's feeling, that would have killed all other Ash-shippings (which are already on life support BTW). They are going to wait towards the end maybe after the team flare arc for Ash to show more blatant hints of liking Serena back. It wouldn't make sense to make Amour canon in the middle of the series.

You yourself claimed that Amourshipping's more popular, and my idea is, if it's truly all that popular, make it canon ASAP, not wait until the end. And besides, the Original Series wasn't even close to the end when they actually had Ash reciprocating Misty's feelings to such an extent (namely, mutual jealousy if Misty gets attention from another guy, just as Misty gets jealous when another girl interacts with Ash). And since Serena's pretty much openly advertised to be leaving the series come Generation 7 anyways (the term "Kalos Queen's" probably the most blatant example that she's not going to last long), that's actually all the MORE reason to make it canon ASAP.

-Come to think of it, If you were in-charge of the anime and you knew Misty was most popular girl then wouldn't you have her at the very least appear in a cameo for around 2-3 episodes, maybe have her see Ash's Sinnoh league battle on TV ? Why aren't anime producers have Misty return if they know she's the most popular ? This simply doesn't make sense to me. I'd take an actual appearance over a radio show any day.

Pokémon writers barely even make sense with several of their decisions. For starters, they removed Misty even when they should have learned when Brock was kicked off the cast during Orange Islands that removing main characters was a very big mistake. Plus, having Ash lose to Paul despite the fact that Ash himself beat Brandon, who was not only the reason Paul became a trainer, but Brandon also curbstomped Paul in his reappearance. Or Ash's various level resets starting with DP, maybe to some extent AG, or their barely even covering many stuff from the actual games in Best Wishes or even XY despite the Anime largely existing as an advertising vehicle for the games. Or heck, turning Ash into a grade-A idiot who would make even Indigo League Ash facepalm at such stupidity in Best Wishes. Or how about the fact that they want us to like Paul even though, as TVTropes put it, he was largely hated for how he abused several of his own Pokémon.

-Deviart is a rare place where pokeshipping is still more popular than amourshipping, but in majority of places amour is more popular which you can easily see for yourself through search results on youtube, twitter, facebook, etc.

I know Tumblr definitely has a huge Misty fanbase there. There's even a Misty club of sorts called All Things Misty that's done quite well (save for a hiatus that's going on right now). And as far as Youtube, there's still more than a lot of Misty related stuff on there, as there is Facebook and Twitter. And BTW,

-Bulbapedia's Amourshipping page is already longer than Pokeshipping in just 120 episodes compared to 280 episodes of pokeshipping. There are hints from Ash too, blushing and jealousy is absent though but there are other hints about which you can look for on bulbapedia.

So? It just means the writers are trying to cram Amourshipping down everyone's throats even when the audience isn't receptive to it. And what makes you think it isn't just the fact that there are people on there willing to literally take anything to imply a relationship. I've seen plenty of Misty fans who are willing to take something completely unrelated to romance as a hint to her having feelings for Ash. Serena fans are pretty notorious for treating her like some sort of person who can't do wrong and being extremely vocal (and another thing, being more vocal doesn't mean more popular). And having more appearances =/= popularity. Otherwise, Wesley Crusher must automatically be the most popular guy in town due to his having the most major appearances in Star Trek: The Next Generation when if anything, he's basically the Star Trek version of Jar Jar Binks in terms of reception. I might as well add that even TVTropes noted that XY's popularity in Japan's actually very low compared to the West (in fact, the West's pretty much the only audience that even has decent reception to it, let alone it being very well received), and in fact, they're pretty much tired of the anime as a whole. It wouldn't make any sense for Serena to be more popular than any female protagonist other than possibly Iris among the Japanese base, let alone Misty, when the show she is the female lead in is basically bottomfeeders in terms of ratings, merchandising, and box office receipts, even before Yokai Watch entered the picture, not to mention after.

-I know many people on serebiiforums that are from Japan like Dephender (he is very knowledgable), PK, AshSerena. Ask them about the popularity status of Misty and Serena in Japan. They'd tell you.

Yeah, and considering what IrregularHunterZ said, they'd probably agree with him that Serena's not exactly that popular, and certainly her ship isn't.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    So? It just means the writers are trying to cram Amourshipping down everyone's throats even when the audience isn't receptive to it. And what makes you think it isn't just the fact that there are people on there willing to literally take anything to imply a relationship. I've seen plenty of Misty fans who are willing to take something completely unrelated to romance as a hint to her having feelings for Ash. Serena fans are pretty notorious for treating her like some sort of person who can't do wrong and being extremely vocal (and another thing, being more vocal doesn't mean more popular). And having more appearances =/= popularity. Otherwise, Wesley Crusher must automatically be the most popular guy in town due to his having the most major appearances in Star Trek: The Next Generation when if anything, he's basically the Star Trek version of Jar Jar Binks in terms of reception. I might as well add that even TVTropes noted that XY's popularity in Japan's actually very low compared to the West (in fact, the West's pretty much the only audience that even has decent reception to it, let alone it being very well received), and in fact, they're pretty much tired of the anime as a whole. It wouldn't make any sense for Serena to be more popular than any female protagonist other than possibly Iris among the Japanese base, let alone Misty, when the show she is the female lead in is basically bottomfeeders in terms of ratings, merchandising, and box office receipts, even before Yokai Watch entered the picture, not to mention after.

Yeah, and considering what IrregularHunterZ said, they'd probably agree with him that Serena's not exactly that popular, and certainly her ship isn't.

What makes you believe Amourshipping is not well received by viewers? I already gave plethora of evidences how it is "most popular" shipping on the "most popular" websites of the internet. There is this guy called "Pokemonrangerboy12" on youtube, 30-40% of his videos are Amourshipping amvs and he's got around 30000 subscribers. Why would had he gotten go many subscribers if Amourshipping wasn't popular ? His Amourshipping videos are way more popular than Pokeshipping videos.

-Like I said before all the characters have their merchandises, not just Misty.

-Misty's flashback return (The episode and the flashback were focused on Charizard, not on Misty) pales in comparison to Dawn's 9 episode cameo. You yourself admitted it wasn't needed and did almost nothing for her character development. They could have reduced Dawn's cameo to 2-3 episodes like Misty's, why did they unnecessarily extend it to 9 episodes?

-Ratings have been falling since the beginning because of repetitive nature of the show, Misty's return is not going to help. Even in the episodes she returned in Hoenn, the ratings were still low compared to indigo league episodes.

-Also most people I know from Japan on serebii, facebook, youtube are amourshippers including Dephender (he regularly posts in Amourshipping thread at serebii). They believe Serena is more popular than Misty now in Japan. You can confirm by asking them (if you can since you were banned from Serebii years ago..).

-All the characters have haters not just Serena, I've seen people mocking Misty, May, Iris and Dawn too for various reasons. You do know Scott85/Cybercubed, right?

-There is nothing wrong in developing Amourshipping slowly in my opinion instead of making it a canon in just 59 episodes, that would have sucked.

-Who is IrregularHunterZ?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    What makes you believe Amourshipping is not well received by viewers? I already gave plethora of evidences how it is "most popular" shipping on the "most popular" websites of the internet. There is this guy called "Pokemonrangerboy12" on youtube, 30-40% of his videos are Amourshipping amvs and he's got around 30000 subscribers. Why would had he gotten go many subscribers if Amourshipping wasn't popular ? His Amourshipping videos are way more popular than Pokeshipping videos.

My reason why is simple: XY itself was not received well by viewers, and in fact has extremely poor ratings right now, and is far less than even AG, which was pretty low in ratings as well (though it's box office and merchandising still made up for that setback, unlike XY where not even box office receipts and merchandising could save it), meaning it has even less viewers than AG or possibly even BW, and BW is probably the one show that could potentially outrank it.

Worldwide, maybe Serena is more popular than Misty, who knows. But the Japanese, the one fanbase that actually matters life and death to the anime and games? Don't make me laugh, there's no way Serena can be considered more popular than Misty when the series she starred in is the bottom feeding of ratings right now, even before Yokai Watch aired. When the show she stars in can't even beat out the OS in terms of Japanese ratings and fanbase, there's definitely no way Serena, OR Amourshipping can outclass Misty in terms of popularity.

-Like I said before all the characters have their merchandises, not just Misty.

Yes, but why market her NOW? Especially when they're going to be more likely focusing on the current or next series. Name me one Iris, May, or Dawn figurine that was actually released during XY that is NOT tied to either ORAS or a remake. You can't. And you can't even cite the 20th anniversary for the anime, because that's next year (this year, it's the games' 20th anniversary). And even if you can cite it, there's also the little problem about how Brock doesn't have his own G.E.M. Figure despite being one of the original trio.

-Misty's flashback return (The episode and the flashback were focused on Charizard, not on Misty) pales in comparison to Dawn's 9 episode cameo. You yourself admitted it wasn't needed and did almost nothing for her character development. They could have reduced Dawn's cameo to 2-3 episodes like Misty's, why did they unnecessarily extend it to 9 episodes?

Because the writers didn't know what they were doing. And Misty definitely had two differing arcs for her, which is saying something, plus she managed to appear in the 10th Anniversary special, which is something Dawn hasn't gotten, BTW. Remember, BW was the same series that decided to make Ash a caricature of himself in the worst way possible, had him ranking even worse in a league than the previous one, and had a completely pointless region that didn't even have some form of major competition arc (even the Orange Islands, for it all being a filler region, at least had the Orange League to keep us going. Decolore had literally nothing). They figured they'd just go by tradition regarding Dawn since they figured "hey, we brought Misty and May back, why not Dawn" despite her having absolutely nothing to do with the region. And BTW, for May, they didn't even NEED to bring her back either (in fact, based on just how eager and quickly she took Drew up on his offer to go to Johto in the final episode due to it being rushed, she definitely wouldn't have been the type to revisit her friends), they could easily just have her continue with Johto without even visiting Sinnoh, yet they gave her an appearance. And UNLIKE with Dawn, they made SURE to justify her appearance.

-Ratings have been falling since the beginning because of repetitive nature of the show, Misty's return is not going to help. Even in the episodes she returned in Hoenn, the ratings were still low compared to indigo league episodes.

Maybe, but her returns in Hoenn did have them reach Johto levels, at least. Maybe it can't go back to Indigo League levels, but it most certainly can reach at least Johto levels.

-Also most people I know from Japan on serebii, facebook, youtube are amourshippers including Dephender (he regularly posts in Amourshipping thread at serebii). They believe Serena is more popular than Misty now in Japan. You can confirm by asking them (if you can since you were banned from Serebii years ago..).

I don't think IrregularMaverickZ's even the type to ship any ship, yet even he agreed that Amourshipping is not popular compared to Pokeshipping when I showed him that Tumblr link, and even explained why (I'll give you a hint: Tsundere shippings are considered far more popular among the Japanese base than instances of girls gushing on guys). Why don't you ask him if you're so insistent on that. Also, I'm not banned from SPPF, not permanently, anyways. I WAS, however, banned from BMGf. And for the record, they themselves may be Amourshippers, but that DOESN'T mean that everyone in Japan is that.

-All the characters have haters not just Serena, I've seen people mocking Misty, May, Iris and Dawn too for various reasons. You do know Scott85/Cybercubed, right?

Yeah, I'm very familiar with Scott85/Cybercubed, he was that backstabbing guy who often turns on girls the second they're expedient. Think of him like that Goat Herder from The Odyssey and the disloyal servants from the same work. And I know many girls have haters (I've had to deal with several regarding Misty myself, and besides which, I myself hated May and Dawn because they came across far too similar in behavior to the Love Hina girls and the Fiorello Fangirls from Princess vs. Princess, which I had been taught to hate).

-There is nothing wrong in developing Amourshipping slowly in my opinion instead of making it a canon in just 59 episodes, that would have sucked.

59 episodes IS slow, though, since it takes roughly a year. What would stink is making it canon literally at the first episode. You want them ACTUALLY doing it fast, how about doing it in the first episode, or the second episode, the fourth episode, heck, even the eighth episode. THAT'S fast. 59 episodes? That's as slow as one can reasonably get.

-Who is IrregularHunterZ?

He's a member on this site, and based on some of his posts, he's extremely familiar with how Japanese markets work as well as how Japanese fanbases work. I even linked you to one of his posts. This one, to be specific: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8556080&postcount=97

And here's his profile and posting history:

*https://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=506568
    *https://www.pokecommunity.com/search.php?searchid=7042534
    *https://www.pokecommunity.com/search.php?searchid=7042535 (Correction, he's actually from Chile, not Japan, but he is shown to be VERY knowledgeable about how Japan works and often uses Japanese names in place of the Westernized names relating to the games.).

And for the record, if the Japanese were dead set in regards to making sure she was removed from the main cast (case in point, her goal is basically as explicit regarding her departure as one can get, and that was only given to her mid way through the series, so if anything, they probably gave her the most obvious limited goal they can think of specifically to ensure she got kicked out and the fans got it, which hints more at unpopularity on her part), it's more likely that they will remove her than they will keep her. Her goal basically said she's going to leave at the end of the region.

I might as well also add something else, has it ever occurred to you that the popularity in Japan for Serena might have to do with, oh, I don't know, her manga counterpart? I know Kisarasmoon is a pretty big fan of her Manga counterpart, for example, even though she doesn't like her anime counterpart due to how poorly handled she was. I heard the manga's definitely still selling very well in Japan, so I find that to be a more likely possibility than anime Serena and Amourshipping being more popular with the Japanese than Misty and Pokeshipping, since that leaves a very big discrepancy as to how Serena and her ship can have more fans when her series has either the lowest or second-lowest Japanese viewers, not enough to even match up with ANY of the girls or their ships barring Iris, let alone surpass Misty and her ship. My disputing Serena's popularity has nothing to do with my wanting a ship to be canon (heck, I don't even CARE for Pokémon Shippings because they neither have love at first sight [Disney and Romeo and Juliet taught me LAFS is the way to go], they don't have the characters actually reciprocating, nor are they even of age), nor does it have anything to with invested interest in Misty (even if I hated Misty and loved Serena, the opposite of what it is now to some extent, I STILL would dispute it). No, the reason I dispute your claim is because the numbers don't add up.

Either way, let's agree to disagree, considering that we've already gotten way off topic as it is. Either way, it's pretty clear Serena's leaving the show after they inevitably go to Alola.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    And for the record, if the Japanese were dead set in regards to making sure she was removed from the main cast (case in point, her goal is basically as explicit regarding her departure as one can get, and that was only given to her mid way through the series, so if anything, they probably gave her the most obvious limited goal they can think of specifically to ensure she got kicked out and the fans got it, which hints more at unpopularity on her part), it's more likely that they will remove her than they will keep her. Her goal basically said she's going to leave at the end of the region.

I might as well also add something else, has it ever occurred to you that the popularity in Japan for Serena might have to do with, oh, I don't know, her manga counterpart? I know Kisarasmoon is a pretty big fan of her Manga counterpart, for example, even though she doesn't like her anime counterpart due to how poorly handled she was. I heard the manga's definitely still selling very well in Japan, so I find that to be a more likely possibility than anime Serena and Amourshipping being more popular with the Japanese than Misty and Pokeshipping, since that leaves a very big discrepancy as to how Serena and her ship can have more fans when her series has either the lowest or second-lowest Japanese viewers, not enough to even match up with ANY of the girls or their ships barring Iris, let alone surpass Misty and her ship. My disputing Serena's popularity has nothing to do with my wanting a ship to be canon (heck, I don't even CARE for Pokémon Shippings because they neither have love at first sight [Disney and Romeo and Juliet taught me LAFS is the way to go], they don't have the characters actually reciprocating, nor are they even of age), nor does it have anything to with invested interest in Misty (even if I hated Misty and loved Serena, the opposite of what it is now to some extent, I STILL would dispute it). No, the reason I dispute your claim is because the numbers don't add up.

Either way, let's agree to disagree, considering that we've already gotten way off topic as it is. Either way, it's pretty clear Serena's leaving the show after they inevitably go to Alola.

-It's painfully obvious that Misty isn't going to return as a main cast member either.
    -99% of Misty fans have already given up hope of Misty returning as a main character ever again in pokemon. Eventually, you'd give up too when Misty won't return even for 10th generation of anime in 2027.
    -The trend of fall in the ratings started from Johto when Misty was still in the show. Why do you think Johto didn't have high ratings despite having Misty in it?
    - No series would ever get higher ratings than the original series because original series was iconic, the concept was entirely new, it was unpredictable. In short there were a lot of reasons why OS had highest ratings (which is never going to change)
    -Recent series gets low ratings for multiple reasons, predictable nature of the show, Ash never winning a pokemon league, past characters completely forgotten, too many fillers, characters never aging etc.
    -Needless to say the ratings would still be terrible even if Misty returns and Ash loses the league.
    -I'd rather believe someone knowledgeable from Japan (like Dephender) than someone from Chile who I think wouldn't have in depth information about the anime as someone from Japan (and knows Japanese) would have. Does this guy know Japanese?
    -Why don't you visit and post on Serebiiforums more often like you do here ?
    -I agree that it's almost impossible for Serena to stay for Alola reason but still more likely than Misty returning in Alola. It's like choosing the more probable event from two of almost impossible events to happen.

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
    Years
  • @weedle_mchairybug's posts - I don't know what part of the fandom you hang out in, but Amourshipping is fairly popular from a lot of what I've seen in Japanese and English-speaking parts of the fandom. It's a stretch to say that it's poorly received (or that she is), and use that as the reason she's not staying. She likely won't stay just because none of them ever do. At this point, PokeAni's low ratings is probably mostly due to Yo-Kai Watch's high popularity in Japan right now, and Pokemon being the series their parents used to play and watch. I don't think Misty coming back would do much for it, either. Maybe for a few weeks.

Serena does seem to have a lot of fans, and I think that if she stayed it wouldn't hurt nor help ratings much at this point. It's what they would have to do with the series as a whole to make it something different than what it typically is that would help the ratings, regardless of the characters they use to do it.

It's not unreasonable to say that Serena might end up going to Alola, and if she did I don't think it would have negative repercussions.

Okay. Here are my predictions IF serena goes with Ash (which I doubt)

Ash
    - Litten --> Evolution? --> Evolution? This fits him the most in my opinion
    - Pikipek --> Evolution --> evolution. This is pretty much canon. We know it will happen
    - Iwanko. I just have this feeling....

Serena
    - Rowlet + evolutions? Again, fits her the most.
    - Grubbin + evolutions. It just looks like a Serena Pokémon in my eyes
    I really see Serena with Iwanko, but Rowlet is a cute idea! Though, I think it might depend on it's evo lines, because she seems to have that theme of cute or pretty Pokemon going on, just for the purpose of her Showcases. Grubbin is an interesting idea, too. If it's evos are anything like Vivillion or Beautifly, it would work out really well. o:

Also Litten does seem to fit Ash!

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    -It's painfully obvious that Misty isn't going to return as a main cast member either.
    -99% of Misty fans have already given up hope of Misty returning as a main character ever again in pokemon. Eventually, you'd give up too when Misty won't return even for 10th generation of anime in 2027.
    -The trend of fall in the ratings started from Johto when Misty was still in the show. Why do you think Johto didn't have high ratings despite having Misty in it?
    - No series would ever get higher ratings than the original series because original series was iconic, the concept was entirely new, it was unpredictable. In short there were a lot of reasons why OS had highest ratings (which is never going to change)
    -Recent series gets low ratings for multiple reasons, predictable nature of the show, Ash never winning a pokemon league, past characters completely forgotten, too many fillers, characters never aging etc.
    -Needless to say the ratings would still be terrible even if Misty returns and Ash loses the league.
    -I'd rather believe someone knowledgeable from Japan (like Dephender) than someone from Chile who I think wouldn't have in depth information about the anime as someone from Japan (and knows Japanese) would have. Does this guy know Japanese?
    -Why don't you visit and post on Serebiiforums more often like you do here ?
    -I agree that it's almost impossible for Serena to stay for Alola reason but still more likely than Misty returning in Alola. It's like choosing the more probable event from two of almost impossible events to happen.

Not really, there are still those of us who are seeking out her return. I've seen plenty of fellow Misty fans who still hold out to some hope, even when it seems bleak.

Also, regarding Johto, 1. That was part of the original series, and 2., even in Johto, it definitely still was in the double digits for the most part, which, while not quite as high as Kanto's was still very high. I'll even link it to you as proof.

https://pokeani.s47.xrea.com/s-title/subtitle-johto.html

I also never said anything about surpassing Kanto, even I know it won't ever surpass Kanto regardless of what it does, but I did say it should at least match up with Johto.

And where do you THINK Misty lies on that? The bit about past characters getting forgotten. In other words, she comes back, we get a slight edge on the ratings (slight being the key word here, not an explosion in ratings increases, since again that would require a LOT more than just bringing her back).

As far as IrregularHunterZ, considering he frequently references the various characters by their Japanese names, not to mention actually cited the ratings FROM Japan, and mentioned stuff like how DVRs don't qualify under ratings (and even if they did, they aren't even close to the top 20 in regard to Pokémon), and cited the official sales figures from BandaiList, I'd say he's DEFINITELY very well-versed with Japanese stuff, probably as good as Dephender or Dogasu (and definitely comparable to the latter).

As far as SPPf, it's because 1., I got banned from BMGf, and thus I didn't see any reason to even continue on SPPf knowing most of the guys who banned me on BMGf also were on there, and 2., they closed down the Misty clubs there as well.

And Misty's return is definitely not impossible. If they can bring back COTDs who weren't even MENTIONED for over a decade (eg, Jessiebelle), they most certainly can bring back old main cast members. And just as an FYI, COTDs, by definition, have even LESS chances of returning than old main characters because the entire POINT of being a COTD, in other words, a Character of the Day, is to only appear for that day's episode and be dropped and never heard from again. Besides, I can also cite Charizard. No one thought he would actually be back in Ash's roster permanently after he gave him to Lisa of Charcific Valley. Yet come Best Wishes, Charizard returned to Ash's roster permanently, and bear in mind, that happened roughly a decade AFTER Johto as well. Now, if Mayumi Iizuka managed to be killed somehow before Misty could come back, THEN it would be a LOT closer to impossible knowing how the Japanese often retire characters when their VAs died.

@weedle_mchairybug's posts - I don't know what part of the fandom you hang out in, but Amourshipping is fairly popular from a lot of what I've seen in Japanese and English-speaking parts of the fandom. It's a stretch to say that it's poorly received (or that she is), and use that as the reason she's not staying. She likely won't stay just because none of them ever do. At this point, PokeAni's low ratings is probably mostly due to Yo-Kai Watch's high popularity in Japan right now, and Pokemon being the series their parents used to play and watch. I don't think Misty coming back would do much for it, either. Maybe for a few weeks.

Actually, my main objection was his claim that Serena and Amourshipping's more popular than Misty, since let's face it, it's not. Otherwise, PokeAni's ratings would at the very LEAST be higher than some of late Johto's episodes.

And I agree that Misty's return won't be enough to bolster ratings significantly, but Misty's return, combined with Ash actually WINNING a league and the Elite 4/Champion (which he's more than likely to do right now with Kalos), among others certainly would, and besides, bringing Misty back would actually take advantage of the fact that it's the 20th anniversary of the series. I know if it were me, I'd make sure that at the very least Misty returns to ensure a 20th anniversary time for the series with Alola.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    Actually, my main objection was his claim that Serena and Amourshipping's more popular than Misty, since let's face it, it's not. Otherwise, PokeAni's ratings would at the very LEAST be higher than some of late Johto's episodes.

And I agree that Misty's return won't be enough to bolster ratings significantly, but Misty's return, combined with Ash actually WINNING a league and the Elite 4/Champion (which he's more than likely to do right now with Kalos), among others certainly would, and besides, bringing Misty back would actually take advantage of the fact that it's the 20th anniversary of the series. I know if it were me, I'd make sure that at the very least Misty returns to ensure a 20th anniversary time for the series with Alola.

Serena and Amourshipping are definitely more popular than Pokeshipping and Misty from 2015 to present day, let's face it, it is. Ratings are poor indicator to judge this since I already explained why the Original Series would always have better ratings than the rest. It wasn't because of Misty, everything was new and fresh which fetched higher ratings.

The XYZ episodes today get uploaded (possibly illegally) and fetch around 200 K - 300 K within 1-2 days. Lots of people seem to like it and many have claimed to return to anime because of XY and XYZ. If people don't like new episodes why there are so many views ? Why there are so many likes on XYZ page of facebook ? Why there are so many fans showing active support to Amourshipping ? You seem to have assumed that because of lower ratings of XY&Z, Misty and Pokeshipping are more popular than Amourshipping and Serena even today in 2016, to which I disagree with since I don't see enough evidences aside from pokeani's ratings. People from around the world are showing LOL (lots of Love) to XY&Z series on social networking sites, it's very easy to see as well.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Serena and Amourshipping are definitely more popular than Pokeshipping and Misty from 2015 to present day, let's face it, it is. Ratings are poor indicator to judge this since I already explained why the Original Series would always have better ratings than the rest. It wasn't because of Misty, everything was new and fresh which fetched higher ratings.

Actually, ratings determine how many viewers there are. And I definitely know online viewership's out of the question, since Hulu bombed in Japan, meaning internet streaming services, either legal or illegal, would not be able to do it, and even in the few online streaming instances that exist for the XY series, the viewership for those shows are fairly low even there (and besides, online streamings of shows don't have a problem with Nielsen ratings or similar rating systems. Just look at NCIS. It's got a lot of internet streamings on the CBS website, and yet it's still one of the highest rated shows on TV despite that). In fact, you know that post I gave you twice regarding IrregularMaverickZ? Well, it was actually from the Pokémon Ratings board, first part.

The XYZ episodes today get uploaded (possibly illegally) and fetch around 200 K - 300 K within 1-2 days. Lots of people seem to like it and many have claimed to return to anime because of XY and XYZ. If people don't like new episodes why there are so many views ? Why there are so many likes on XYZ page of facebook ? Why there are so many fans showing active support to Amourshipping ? You seem to have assumed that because of lower ratings of XY&Z, Misty and Pokeshipping are more popular than Amourshipping and Serena even today in 2016, to which I disagree with since I don't see enough evidences aside from pokeani's ratings. People from around the world are showing LOL (lots of Love) to XY&Z series on social networking sites, it's very easy to see as well.

Like I said, if the viewers are far less than even AG or Best Wishes, there's no way it can amount to Misty's fanbase, since the people who would know about Serena would have, you know, actually WATCHED the series, and as both Poke245 and IrregularHunterZ verified, even online viewerships are in a decline for XY.

Read these topics on Pokémon Ratings if you don't believe me:

Part 1: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=338621

Part 2: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=350465

And they follow the ratings of Pokémon.

And here's what TVTropes has to say about XY:

"Germans Love David Hasselhoff: The Western fandom mostly has high praise for XY, while the Japanese viewers are mostly bored with it and the anime franchise altogether. "

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • It doesn't matter if popularity is low in Japan or not. They will continue to make it. It is still one of the world's most popular franchise. As long as it does well somewhere in the world, it will continue to be made. Warcraft did terrible in the US, but it completely blew away all other movies and China and now they are already talking about a sequel.

You seem to have some idiotic delusion that if it isn't popular in its home country it won't continue to be made. The anime is was pushes the whole franchise forward. It is still is one of the best rated shows on Cartoon Network, even though it comes on extremely early in the morning and is hardly advertised.

Yo-Kai Watch is still being beat by pokemon in some weeks. Shows CANT be consistent, it just isn't possible. Yo-Kai watch got 300,000 views, one of the lowest rating anime shows in the Western Worlds. And most of the time, pokemon continues to get over 1,000,000 views.

You just need to drop your crap about ratings and move on. Not only have you completely derailed this thread, you continue to do so. If you want to continue your ratings rants, then please keep it to a thread where it is actually relevant. And stop posting in mostly all the threads about ratings.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    It doesn't matter if popularity is low in Japan or not. They will continue to make it. It is still one of the world's most popular franchise. As long as it does well somewhere in the world, it will continue to be made. Warcraft did terrible in the US, but it completely blew away all other movies and China and now they are already talking about a sequel.

You seem to have some idiotic delusion that if it isn't popular in its home country it won't continue to be made. The anime is was pushes the whole franchise forward. It is still is one of the best rated shows on Cartoon Network, even though it comes on extremely early in the morning and is hardly advertised.

Yo-Kai Watch is still being beat by pokemon in some weeks. Shows CANT be consistent, it just isn't possible. Yo-Kai watch got 300,000 views, one of the lowest rating anime shows in the Western Worlds. And most of the time, pokemon continues to get over 1,000,000 views.

You just need to drop your crap about ratings and move on. Not only have you completely derailed this thread, you continue to do so.

It may air elsewhere in the world, but Japan is still the primary audience and the guys they cater to most, so if it has bad ratings in its home country, it doesn't matter if it manages to sell well outside the home country, it gets canned. And usually, when shows or other mediums are considered more popular than it's own country of origin, they either release it outside the home country first, or they release it on the same day, and sometimes, they exclusively release it outside that home country if it's popular enough. Take Sonic X, for example. Made in Japan, yet airs outside Japan first. Or the Metal Gear Solid games. With the exception of Metal Gear, Metal Gear Solid, and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, most of the games are released overseas first. Also Snake's Revenge. Made in Japan, yet never actually released there and exclusively released elsewhere (granted, that one was not exactly much of a success other than ensuring Hideo Kojima created Metal Gear 2). Remember, they air the episodes first, and we have to wait months before it officially airs overseas.

And I'm not surprised that would occur regarding Warcraft. However, that's just symptomatic of the overall badness of the current movie industry. Even if movies are bombs, they rely on international money and thus don't see any reason to improve, and if they do get less than they expect, they just fire people like Jeffrey Katzenberg did with the animation department at DreamWorks.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    I didn't read the whole thread, but I read some of Weedle's claims that they may do in SM anime what they did in BW. Considering BW unpopularity amongst fans, as well as not so good ratings, I doubt they will do this very same mistake anytime soon. However, I agree that Serena will not be in next region. But I expect we either see Ash, female SM protagonist, Clemont and Bonnie, or, if they really want to do something they didn't do before, we may actually see the male protagonist as Ash's companion, either replacing Serena only, with the team being Ash, male SM protagonist, Clemont and Bonnie, or totally new team with Ash and both male and female SM protagonists. That may be something new, something they didn't do before.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I didn't read the whole thread, but I read some of Weedle's claims that they may do in SM anime what they did in BW. Considering BW unpopularity amongst fans, as well as not so good ratings, I doubt they will do this very same mistake anytime soon. However, I agree that Serena will not be in next region. But I expect we either see Ash, female SM protagonist, Clemont and Bonnie, or, if they really want to do something they didn't do before, we may actually see the male protagonist as Ash's companion, either replacing Serena only, with the team being Ash, male SM protagonist, Clemont and Bonnie, or totally new team with Ash and both male and female SM protagonists. That may be something new, something they didn't do before.

Technically, bringing back an older character from prior generations in lieu of the Alola protagonist is not the same thing as BW, since BW had used a Gym Leader from the current region in place of the protagonist from that location, not an old character. And in all fairness, the Alola female protagonist does look a bit old, so we can't say for sure she won't get the Hilda treatment (especially when they implied the reason they skipped her over besides redoing Kanto was because she looked too old for the role).

And besides, while bringing Bonnie back would definitely be new, bringing Clemont back won't be, since we had Brock to deal with in both AG and DP.

Bringing in the male protagonist definitely would be something new, though then again... considering they skipped many opportunities to do so (and Masamitsu Hidaka strongly implied that the reason they don't use the male protagonists from the games over the female characters is because they specifically seek out the latter for sexual eyecandy purposes), I doubt they'll do that. They had the perfect opportunity to avert that with both BW and XY, and they kept the course. They did replace Brock, and the male lead after him, but only with another male gym leader.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Masamitsu Hidaka soesn't work on Pokémon anymore, the last thing he worked on was Movie 14. Besides, they totally changed the writing staff in BW, and it doesn't seem they condone this eyecandy thing Hidaka talked about, as they chose the ugliest of all female Unova Gym Leaders to follow Ash and then, even with Serena, even though we had sexist Pokémon Showcases, we did not see any eyecandy moments and, actually, that Serena design change, with all its controversy it stirred amongst fanbase, may be opposite of eyecandy Hidaka talked about. All this leads me to think they are beyond this eyecandy thing.
    The problem with main cast of Ash, male character, Clemont and Bonnie would be, that there may be too many male characters to keep female audience, but who knows, with recent popularity of Shounen-ai Anime like Super Lovers or Shounen Maid, they may further surprise us. Of course I don't expect them to turn Pokémon into something like this, that would be way too controversial for global merchandise like Pokémon. However, they may surprise us with something that may keep female audience even with so many male character and wouldn't be too controversial for conservative areas of the world. Of course, I more expect, if they'll go with the male character, to drop Clemont and Bonnie and chose another female character, most likely the female character of SM game, but may be someone else, like female Gym Lader or Lillie, who was said is not trainer, but they may find something interesting for her to do, to still qualify as Ash's companion. But I would really love to see the cast of Ash and both male and female SM game characters and see what they could do with this unique chance.
    And I did not say the team of Ash, female character, Clemont and Bonnie would be something new. On the contrary, actually. It would be something expected for them to do, even more than any of my abovementioned speculations. I hope they will not go this route, but I am prepared for this cast, as at this time, it's probably the most likely thing to do.
    And Misty in main cast? Stop dreaming. Misty is done with. I doubt we will see her even in one-time cameo. Her chances for returning to main cast are zero to none. And I personally am glad for that, because, be honest, after Iris, she was the most boring female main character. She did not bring much to the main cast, other than nonsensical arguing and did not progress the story anywhere. Should they really bring her back, which I don't think they will, but let's speculate here, we would be back to where we were with Iris in BW, unless they'll change her characterization significantly, which would be quite controversial with fans like you. Therefore, I say, it's safer for them to not bring Misty back and leave her in memories of older viewers. And besides, most of the current children viewers wouldn't even know who she is, so there's no reason for writers to even consider her over new character from SM games.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back