• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon that never made sense to me...

shininglatios217

Wayward Son
Years
  • How does Eelektross levitate?

And what the heck is the Solosis line supposed to be?

According to the Pokédex entries, it could also be based on a tardigrade (water bear). Now that I think of it Pokémon that have some kind of armor/clothes don't make a lot of sense (where did the clothe/armor come from?).

shininglatios217

Wayward Son
    Years
  • If you mean what a tardigrade is: It is a microscopic animal that it's almost impossible to kill. Almost. They could also be based on embryos/fetuses.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Solosis just kind of looks like a cell to me haha. At least something in pre-life stage. And I don't really get Luvdisc and cba to look through the thread in case it's already discussed.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Solosis just kind of looks like a cell to me haha. At least something in pre-life stage. And I don't really get Luvdisc and cba to look through the thread in case it's already discussed.

Luvdisc is based on the discus fish.

To be honest, I've always wondered what the Nidos, Aggron and Rhydon/Rhyperior are based on.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years

• ^Nidos/Rhydon/Rhyperior are based on rhinoceros and Aggron appears to be based on triceratops. (quick bulbapedia search, lol)

also... Forretress... its pre-evo looks completely different.

It could make sense if it's a bagworm hiding in a shell, but I still don't get those 4 tube things and its steel typing @_@

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I've been confused by the Beldum line. I can't really tell what it is. It kind of reminds me of Magnemite, but they actually had magnets on them. Is Beldum like a mechanical leg or something?

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Beldum's line is a robotic lifeform, not really humanoid. They're magnetic and it is believed that it takes two Beldums to evolve into Metang, and two Metangs to evolve into a Metagross. It makes sense, just look at Metang and Metagross! They're not really based on anything besides a robotic lifeform, perhaps alien.

Years
  • A pokemon that never made sense... I'd say Trubbish. I mean, I think the company didn't have inspiration when they thought him up. A SACK OF TRASH?

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    A pokemon that never made sense... I'd say Trubbish. I mean, I think the company didn't have inspiration when they thought him up. A SACK OF TRASH?
    Unova Pokemon were mostly based from inanimate objects and what is the most abundant inanimate object you see around you? That's right, garbage. I believe they had more than just enough imagination when they threw him up.

Years
  • Electrode. I don't even know what's trying to be. Like a battery thing?

Muk. No. Why does that even exist? It's such a lazy freaking design. Vanillite has a better thought out design than this thing.

rmmstnr

The Seeker
    Years
  • Still think the Ice Cream pokemon have got to be the most.. ..dumberestest of the bunch. An animal that looks like a dessert? Really? I wonder if the dessert creature idea was stolen from the "flans" of NES days past. Just look at Vanillish's face, it looks like its head is filled with happiness and nothing else. Absolutely nothing else.

I do wonder what it would be like to eat one though...

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • Mr Mime is a mime.....?

I like the trubish line. It's a garbage bag that has become sentient. That fact that it comes from Unova, a place based on NY, really says something.

I forget the name, but I find the strange, starting as a lily pad, then a monkey, then a sombrero wearing duck like pinata thing from Generation3. Pretty sick pokemon, but odd..

Last edited:

Sayan

is tightening its focus
    Years
  • Chansey never made much sense to me. It just seems to be a fairy-balloon-egg-thing. And Lapras, what exactly is it? Bulbapedia says a Plesiosaur lookalike. So it's a singing, surfing Plesiosaur?

Giratina, Dialga and Palkia are also a bit strange to actually be animals.

And need I mention Stunfisk, the Pokemon with at least 15 disturbing abnormalities?

Djinnception

There's a Snake in my boots!
    Years
  • the Duosion series
    I thought cells were supposed to be microscopic? For the most part. Maybe its an amoeba? or a paramecium?

Years
  • To me, one of the Pokémon I could never get my mind around was Nosepass and his / her evolution, Probopass. While I can understand what they 'may have been trying to do' design wise and story for it, I just never could grasp that concept of it. It's such a strange looking one that it leads to wondering what where they thinking?

GibbyGibson

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Castform has always confuzzled me. I get that's a cloud and was created by meteorologists in a lab or something, but it still just seems odd to me. And besides, the cloud metaphor can only really stretch to Ice and Water - a Fire cloud seems more like an incoming sign of the apocalypse than a Pokemon's changed form, but that's probably just me! :D

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
    Years
  • A lot of the designs for legendary Pokemon in 4th and 5th gen. It feels like (especially in 4th) that they were trying to make these things more suited for war than being a legend.

Back