• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon That Would Work Well As Starters?

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Dec 5, 2015
    XD: Gales of Darkness gave the player Eevee without any choice, then introduced an early game NPC handing out evolution stones. You could expand on this idea with new Eevee evolutions.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Nov 19, 2018
    Hey! Just wondering, if you were making a ROM hack, what would be your 3 starter pokemon to choose fron? ( not limited to 3 ) Mine would most likely be Ralts, Ghastly, and Eevee. What would yours be?

I would do all dragon types, but not too strong like gible, dratini, bagon

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 26, 2016
    Ralts, Gastly, and Togepi work pretty well. they all have 3 stage evolutions and can counter each other in interesting ways.

AceTheHanyou

ShakeTheHanyou
    Years
  • Grass, Ground/Rock, and Fire. Same super effective triangle.
    So Budew, Rhyhorn, and Magby.
    You should change base stats to even the pokemon out at lvl 5.
    But reasons why, all 3 pokemon have 3 stage evolution, the third requiring the help a stone (sun stone and a trade stone) or you can have them set to evolve to the last evolution at lvl 50.
    The other option would be to change the level in which they evolve, even it out to 2nd stage, so rhyhorn don't have to be train to lvl 42 to evolve.
    Last, Roserade is a special attacker, Magmortar is both a special attacker and basic attacker, and Lastly Rhyperior is a high attack and defense pokemon. It works out.
    -Ace

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 28, 2023
    Grass, Ground/Rock, and Fire. Same super effective triangle.
    So Budew, Rhyhorn, and Magby.
    You should change base stats to even the pokemon out at lvl 5.
    But reasons why, all 3 pokemon have 3 stage evolution, the third requiring the help a stone (sun stone and a trade stone) or you can have them set to evolve to the last evolution at lvl 50.
    The other option would be to change the level in which they evolve, even it out to 2nd stage, so rhyhorn don't have to be train to lvl 42 to evolve.
    Last, Roserade is a special attacker, Magmortar is both a special attacker and basic attacker, and Lastly Rhyperior is a high attack and defense pokemon. It works out.
    -Ace

The problem is grass doesn't resist rock attacks. And if you use ground, ground doesn't resist fire. If you use dual typing like rhyhorn, it gets, unfortunately early 4x weakness. Okay, swampert, charizard, torterra have 4x weakness, but not that early

In my project I use what I call as "triangle and reserved triangle", which basically means the secondary typing will help that Pokemon. Kinda hard to explain without example. Okay, the point is I use grass/fighting, fire/dark, and water/psychic, which happens to be breeloom, houndoom and golduck (could have gone with starmie, but we all agree that psyduck is way "more cute" than staryu. and yes, cuteness is starter material for me. If only slowpoke doesn't have branched evolution, could have chosen slowpoke. I had to change golduck typing, but that's fine since golduck should have been water/psychic for some people) and my hack doesn't use mega evolution so houndoom is still houndoom.

AceTheHanyou

ShakeTheHanyou
    Years
  • The problem is grass doesn't resist rock attacks. And if you use ground, ground doesn't resist fire. If you use dual typing like rhyhorn, it gets, unfortunately early 4x weakness. Okay, swampert, charizard, torterra have 4x weakness, but not that early

In my project I use what I call as "triangle and reserved triangle", which basically means the secondary typing will help that Pokemon. Kinda hard to explain without example. Okay, the point is I use grass/fighting, fire/dark, and water/psychic, which happens to be breeloom, houndoom and golduck (could have gone with starmie, but we all agree that psyduck is way "more cute" than staryu. and yes, cuteness is starter material for me. If only slowpoke doesn't have branched evolution, could have chosen slowpoke. I had to change golduck typing, but that's fine since golduck should have been water/psychic for some people) and my hack doesn't use mega evolution so houndoom is still houndoom.

Trust me, I understand exactly, the point you're making with the triangle and reversed-triangle method, that method evens out the effectiveness. For example, yeah houndoom has super effectiveness over breloom because fire beats grass. But Breloom has the secondary type advantage with Fighting over Dark. That's a great method to use.
    But the thing is, in original pokemon game there have been great disparities with starters in terms of effectiveness adavantages. Gen 1... Charizard (Fire/Flying) vs Venusaur (Grass/Poison), Gen 3 Blaziken (Fire/Fighting) vs Swampert (Water/Ground), I don't really care for other Gens as much. But they even out most of the effectiveness.

On to my defense, I chose Budew, Magby, Rhyhorn, not only because of the type triangle. Sure that played a huge part, but in the end it was decided based on evolution. I believe that a starter should always have a 3 stage evolution. It makes the game more enjoyable, unless you nuzlocking it. And cmon, Roserade, Rhyperior, and Magmortar are dope.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 28, 2023
    Trust me, I understand exactly, the point you're making with the triangle and reversed-triangle method, that method evens out the effectiveness. For example, yeah houndoom has super effectiveness over breloom because fire beats grass. But Breloom has the secondary type advantage with Fighting over Dark. That's a great method to use.
    But the thing is, in original pokemon game there have been great disparities with starters in terms of effectiveness adavantages. Gen 1... Charizard (Fire/Flying) vs Venusaur (Grass/Poison), Gen 3 Blaziken (Fire/Fighting) vs Swampert (Water/Ground), I don't really care for other Gens as much. But they even out most of the effectiveness.

On to my defense, I chose Budew, Magby, Rhyhorn, not only because of the type triangle. Sure that played a huge part, but in the end it was decided based on evolution. I believe that a starter should always have a 3 stage evolution. It makes the game more enjoyable, unless you nuzlocking it. And cmon, Roserade, Rhyperior, and Magmortar are dope.

Yes I do agree that roserade, rhyperior and magmortar are great, I love those " gen IV Treatments", I don't get why there are so much hate towards them.

It would be great if someone create a hack based on Pocket Monster Manga with clefairy as a starter lol.

BadEgg~

Pokémon: Volant Version Developer
    Years
  • I've experimented with using Elekid, Magby & Smoochum. Unfortunately, the Smoochum evolution line doesn't have a 3rd stage, so that idea was scrapped fairly quickly. Elekid also seemed to have much better stats than Magby when I was using it. I'd imagine with some movepool & stat changes, as well as a 3rd stage evolution for the Smoochum line, those 3 would be quite fun to use. An electric-type or ice-type starter would certainly shake things up, while still being somewhat familiar to those used to the traditional Fire/Water/Grass starters.

Years
    • Age 32
    • He/him
    • Canada
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I'd go for

Steel [Beldum] because Metagross is a legend
    Dragon [Bagon] because Salamence is a boss
    Ice [Spheal] because Walrein is a tank

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

You just cited my favourite trio. ALSO all three of them can learn absolute zero (sheer cold) with some hacking. Favourite mons with favourite moves? <3

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • I'm a huge fan of the triangle-inverse secondary types, which is why I was excited for the possibility of Froakie gaining the Fighting type and Chespin gaining the Dark type, not how it actually happened

Eevee and give it an early evolution is the ultimate counter-circle, although it would work far better if you threw out Jolteon and Glaceon and evolved into Leafeon by a Leaf Stone.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    I'm thinking about putting Bagon, Gible, and Dratini in my hack as the starters. Is this trio of pokemon good for starters, or should I choose another three?

hack those 3 starters to learn ember, thundershock and watergun at level 7 level 8 level 9. and then dragon tail or claw right before first evolution :O

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2016
    Here's a pretty cool Fire/Rock/Steel one: Torchic, Beldum, Larvitar

Same effectiveness as Fire/Water/Grass, but when fully evolved it also doubles as a Fighting/Psychic/Dark trio.

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    In my first attempt I did Mareep, Spheal, Geodude. They are three of my personal favorites, but I feel Spheal eventually eclipses the others in usefulness. I'm thinking instead of Geodude I'll use Larvitar this go around if I make it that far again.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • What u guys think about metapod, magikarp, and togepi. Fun combination of starters.
    That'd be pretty stupid to be honest, Metapod is a 2nd evolution whereas the others are only 1st. I guess if you're just doing it for fun it doesn't really matter, but those 3 don't really make much sense as a trio otherwise.

I'm trying to come up with a cool trio for my new project and I want them all to have Mega Evolutions. I really can't seem to come up with anything that works besides having the Kanto or Hoenn starters. I'd really value anyone's input on a cool starting trio, it doesn't necessarily have to be the traditional Fire/Water/Grass either.

Back