• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokemon TRE2: Team Rocket Edition, The Revamped Episode

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
I have a question... How do you stay sane? (I might have asked you this before.) I'm just imagining you sticking "jp Blah" commands into every single routine of the game... And how the heck are you keeping track of the changes you're making? Surely you've revisited a function only to realize that you've already hacked up beyond comprehension from some earlier work.

Hahah yeah every addition is basically a jump out of a routine into a new subroutine I make. I write the code in a normal text editor, like notepad++ or just notepad, and then just save what the code does, where the code was place and where/what code was overwritten.

A quick count of my "docs" folder has 310 text files (2.94 MB), though its not all my code or in use, obviously, since thats 3x the size of the rom itself.

I am still debating if I want to switch to the disassembly, but I'm leery to do everything from the top.

Bliss

Part-time Pegasister, Part-time PokéFreak
Years
Posting a reply to mark my subscription, and to say thank you for the incredible work!

Only read through this last page of comments, so I skipped 4 pages lol, but I'll probably read through them at a later date.

Just wanted to say that I am thoroughly impressed with this hack!

... If only there was a public beta... But I guess that won't happen xD

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
Posting a reply to mark my subscription, and to say thank you for the incredible work!

Only read through this last page of comments, so I skipped 4 pages lol, but I'll probably read through them at a later date.

Just wanted to say that I am thoroughly impressed with this hack!

... If only there was a public beta... But I guess that won't happen xD

Thanks! There will be a beta (but not public, I don't want unfinished versions of the game floating around the web) but not for a while.

On another note, ShantyTown convinced me that I am insane to not be using the pokered disassembly, so I decided to begin working with that. That means that I have to start over, but it should not take too long to get back up to speed (since i have all of my code and sprites saved).

I played around with it tonight and added in all of the new trainer sprites/names already. It shouldn't be too long. plus, this gives me a chance to bug fix and add in new features in a cleaner, easier, and more manageable fashion.

One major reason I am doing this is because there are a bunch of features that I've already implemented that I need to update, so this way I can add the changes as I add it. The other is, it will make all of my future changes go by so much smoother.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Thanks! There will be a beta (but not public, I don't want unfinished versions of the game floating around the web) but not for a while.

On another note, ShantyTown convinced me that I am insane to not be using the pokered disassembly, so I decided to begin working with that. That means that I have to start over, but it should not take too long to get back up to speed (since i have all of my code and sprites saved).

I played around with it tonight and added in all of the new trainer sprites/names already. It shouldn't be too long. plus, this gives me a chance to bug fix and add in new features in a cleaner, easier, and more manageable fashion.

One major reason I am doing this is because there are a bunch of features that I've already implemented that I need to update, so this way I can add the changes as I add it. The other is, it will make all of my future changes go by so much smoother.

Woot. You're going to love life after you've caught back up.

Bliss

Years

You are quickly becoming my most idolized hacker.. If you don't stop with this trend of amazing me, you might overtake Mateo in no time!

Haha, really looking forward to this hack now, and I sincerely hope that using the disassembly is easier, and that it won't give you too much trouble as you fight to get caught up.

Quick off-topic question: How difficult would you say it is to learn ASM, as compared to HTML or aught similar? I'm looking to learn ASM so I can hack PokéRed as well, but I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to learn, and I haven't found any decent tutorials that are actually newbie friendly xD If all else fails, I'll just stick to RPG Maker VX Ace and abandon my hopes of hacking Pokémon completely lol. (Currently, that's the plan in action.)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 4, 2023
Hey Glitchy, but this is very possible on hacking for pokemon red, or its only a pixel art?

pokemon_commercial_critique_by_dragondeplatino-d7ru6nh.png

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
Woot. You're going to love life after you've caught back up.

Yeah I'm pretty excited to do this actually.

You are quickly becoming my most idolized hacker.. If you don't stop with this trend of amazing me, you might overtake Mateo in no time!

Haha, really looking forward to this hack now, and I sincerely hope that using the disassembly is easier, and that it won't give you too much trouble as you fight to get caught up.

Quick off-topic question: How difficult would you say it is to learn ASM, as compared to HTML or aught similar? I'm looking to learn ASM so I can hack PokéRed as well, but I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to learn, and I haven't found any decent tutorials that are actually newbie friendly xD If all else fails, I'll just stick to RPG Maker VX Ace and abandon my hopes of hacking Pokémon completely lol. (Currently, that's the plan in action.)

Thanks! Yeah I'll be doing the minor stuff now and work my way up to the battle scene hahah.

ASM is definitely harder than HTML. HTML isnt a programming language, so they're two different beasts. I learned scripting languages first when I was way younger, like JavaScript. During college, I learned more languages. First I learned C++, which is lower level, and finally ASM, which almost as basic as you can get. The higher level languages let you skip many lines when you code, so the lower level you get, the more you need to really understand the system architecture to know how to get the desired result.

I don't know if that's the right course, but that's what worked for me. If you don't know any programming languages, I'll recommend python or JavaScript, and then try to wrap your head around C++ while learning about the gameboy architecture.

Hey Glitchy, but this is very possible on hacking for pokemon red, or its only a pixel art?

pokemon_commercial_critique_by_dragondeplatino-d7ru6nh.png

Funny you should mention that. The artists of those backgrounds gave me permission to use those in my game. Those backgrounds are certainly possible in Pokemon Red, I've already added them. See the latest battle videos here:

Bliss

Years
Thanks! Yeah I'll be doing the minor stuff now and work my way up to the battle scene hahah.

ASM is definitely harder than HTML. HTML isnt a programming language, so they're two different beasts. I learned scripting languages first when I was way younger, like JavaScript. During college, I learned more languages. First I learned C++, which is lower level, and finally ASM, which almost as basic as you can get. The higher level languages let you skip many lines when you code, so the lower level you get, the more you need to really understand the system architecture to know how to get the desired result.

I don't know if that's the right course, but that's what worked for me. If you don't know any programming languages, I'll recommend python or JavaScript, and then try to wrap your head around C++ while learning about the gameboy architecture.
By your description and instructions, it would be far better for me to simply stick with using tools and such lol. But for the time being I'll stick with RPG Maker, since I have no need for programming skills.

I mentioned HTML because I know some basic HTML and CSS, enough to make a functioning webpage, but not enough to make it look good. And I know a tiny bit of JavaScript, and by the way your describe things... Yeah, I'll never finish JavaScript, so I should just give up on ASM lol.

Thanks for the reply though~

Now, to get myself back on topic here...

Looks like the only sprite for the player that I've seen is James. Will we have gender selection? I kind of hate Jessie, but I'd still rather play as a female character, if it's possible. No big issue, but thought I'd ask regardless.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 4, 2023
Yeah I'm pretty excited to do this actually.

Funny you should mention that. The artists of those backgrounds gave me permission to use those in my game. Those backgrounds are certainly possible in Pokemon Red, I've already added them. See the latest battle videos here:

And also the sprites ar doable? Its damn cool... anyway you know if in pokemon red, with hack/reverse engineering, is possible to put player on top side during battles? (switch player and cpu position)

And those thing about pkmn red, is possible also on pokemon gold/crystal? (have better sprite and attack animation than pkmn red eheh)

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
And also the sprites ar doable? Its damn cool... anyway you know if in pokemon red, with hack/reverse engineering, is possible to put player on top side during battles? (switch player and cpu position)

And those thing about pkmn red, is possible also on pokemon gold/crystal? (have better sprite and attack animation than pkmn red eheh)

Yep it's possible on all generations! Switching the position of the trainers is possible too! Except you'll need to make a back sprite for every trainer

By your description and instructions, it would be far better for me to simply stick with using tools and such lol. But for the time being I'll stick with RPG Maker, since I have no need for programming skills.

I mentioned HTML because I know some basic HTML and CSS, enough to make a functioning webpage, but not enough to make it look good. And I know a tiny bit of JavaScript, and by the way your describe things... Yeah, I'll never finish JavaScript, so I should just give up on ASM lol.

Thanks for the reply though~

Now, to get myself back on topic here...

Looks like the only sprite for the player that I've seen is James. Will we have gender selection? I kind of hate Jessie, but I'd still rather play as a female character, if it's possible. No big issue, but thought I'd ask regardless.

Stick with JavaScript, its a fun and really versatile language! For your question: there is no gender

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 4, 2023
Yep it's possible on all generations! Switching the position of the trainers is possible too! Except you'll need to make a back sprite for every trainer

Stick with JavaScript, its a fun and really versatile language! For your question: there is no gender
Whoa, really? I know that after you need to make trainers backsprites XD its normal... anyway you cant make a very short video of proof of concept of this, for pokemon crystal at least? Also leaving cpu trainers spirtes on down become glitchy, dont matter, i want only to see the player on top, better visual XD

Bliss

Years

Aww, no gender? *cries*

Off topic again: JavaScript doesn't feel like scripting, as compared to other languages I've been trying to learn (Ruby, Python, C++, among others) because the syntax seems to be near plain english as opposed to a bunch of commands that have confusing meanings lol.

My opinion of JavaScript is that when scripting it's not so much programming as it is talking to the computer in a way that both the processor and I can understand. It's easy, in my opinion. I guess that's the bottom line for me.

New question: (also off topic) Is the ASM language the same from GB to GBC? Also, does the GBA use the same ASM? Really confusing with a lot of that stuff, but I thought I'd ask so I could give more able suggestions for others.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
New question: (also off topic) Is the ASM language the same from GB to GBC? Also, does the GBA use the same ASM? Really confusing with a lot of that stuff, but I thought I'd ask so I could give more able suggestions for others.

This is getting a bit off topic. If you're really interested in learning gameboy assembly language, you might want to hop over to the forums at http://hax.iimarck.us!

To answer your questions, yes, the GB and GBC use the same processor (cpu), therefore the same assembly language. GBA uses a completely different processor, so the assembly language is a whole different story.

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
Aww, no gender? *cries*

Off topic again: JavaScript doesn't feel like scripting, as compared to other languages I've been trying to learn (Ruby, Python, C++, among others) because the syntax seems to be near plain english as opposed to a bunch of commands that have confusing meanings lol.

My opinion of JavaScript is that when scripting it's not so much programming as it is talking to the computer in a way that both the processor and I can understand. It's easy, in my opinion. I guess that's the bottom line for me.

Hahah oops, that last response got cut off. It was meant to say: there is no gender selection, but that doesn't mean you can't play as Jessie ;-)

Python is what you want if you want easy to understand commands! But the jump from there to a lower level language might be tough. Yep, GB and GBC use the same processor and language. GBA is different. Maybe similar to C++? I'm not sure.

Whoa, really? I know that after you need to make trainers backsprites XD its normal... anyway you cant make a very short video of proof of concept of this, for pokemon crystal at least? Also leaving cpu trainers spirtes on down become glitchy, dont matter, i want only to see the player on top, better visual XD

Sorry, no proof of concept at the moment, but maybe you'll get to see it when you pay the game (I like the idea, maybe I'll throw it in)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 4, 2023
Hahah oops, that last response got cut off. It was meant to say: there is no gender selection, but that doesn't mean you can't play as Jessie ;-)

Python is what you want if you want easy to understand commands! But the jump from there to a lower level language might be tough. Yep, GB and GBC use the same processor and language. GBA is different. Maybe similar to C++? I'm not sure.

Sorry, no proof of concept at the moment, but maybe you'll get to see it when you pay the game (I like the idea, maybe I'll throw it in)

pay? o.O
Dont exist a tutorial to doing this, right?

Bliss

Years
This is getting a bit off topic. If you're really interested in learning gameboy assembly language, you might want to hop over to the forums at http://hax.iimarck.us!

To answer your questions, yes, the GB and GBC use the same processor (cpu), therefore the same assembly language. GBA uses a completely different processor, so the assembly language is a whole different story.
Thanks for the explanation, and I'm not exactly interested in the GBA's language, just wanted to know if the same ASM could be used for when I'm suggesting features (so I can link to works from previous generation hacks that have such features)

Python can't be used for what I'm trying to do (as far as I know) but I won't flood your thread with this topic anymore. Thanks for all the help and support, to both of you!

Ah, so it's character selection, not gender selection?

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
Thanks for the explanation, and I'm not exactly interested in the GBA's language, just wanted to know if the same ASM could be used for when I'm suggesting features (so I can link to works from previous generation hacks that have such features)

Python can't be used for what I'm trying to do (as far as I know) but I won't flood your thread with this topic anymore. Thanks for all the help and support, to both of you!

Ah, so it's character selection, not gender selection?
Any time. I still recommend learning as much as you can about a programming language, and it will be easier to learn others.

Its not a character selection either! I don't want to reveal too much though ;)

pay? o.O
Dont exist a tutorial to doing this, right?
I meant play lol. No tutorial exists that I know of, but you can look at the Pokered disassembly and see where the battle sprites get drawn, and just draw the front sprite for the player and players Pokemon and the back sprite for the enemy and enemy Pokemon. Then you just have to swap the animations so they like up with the correct sprite!

Bliss

Years
Any time. I still recommend learning as much as you can about a programming language, and it will be easier to learn others.

So you are just keeping the door closed on this one, huh? Guess I'll just have to live with that xD

I'll keep your advice in mind as I move forward with my practice and scheduled courses. (free, interactive online tutorials, step by step instructions and interactivity with Codecademy :3)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 4, 2023

I meant play lol. No tutorial exists that I know of, but you can look at the Pokered disassembly and see where the battle sprites get drawn, and just draw the front sprite for the player and players Pokemon and the back sprite for the enemy and enemy Pokemon. Then you just have to swap the animations so they like up with the correct sprite!

Maybe you can really an optional patch, for who want your game with player on top, and if not, not apply the patch :) So this will be a very cool new idea for pokemon hack, and your become the first :) (thanks to my idea U.U), and if you will able to do, maybe can do also a patch for pokemon gold or crystal :D (i really love gen II style)

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
Maybe you can really an optional patch, for who want your game with player on top, and if not, not apply the patch :) So this will be a very cool new idea for pokemon hack, and your become the first :) (thanks to my idea U.U), and if you will able to do, maybe can do also a patch for pokemon gold or crystal :D (i really love gen II style)
I wont be doing anything for crystal or an additional patch, but I might try some other things based on this idea! Thanks.

So you are just keeping the door closed on this one, huh? Guess I'll just have to live with that xD

I'll keep your advice in mind as I move forward with my practice and scheduled courses. (free, interactive online tutorials, step by step instructions and interactivity with Codecademy :3)

Good luck! Yeah, I want to keep a lot of things as a surprise for the player

Back