• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon X and Y Version Differences Discussion and Speculation Thread

Which Version's exclusives do you like the best?

• Total voters

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • This thread is to talk about the difference between the two games.
    Do you want to see more than just Version exclusives? Maybe different locations like in Gen V? Do any of the known difference sway your opinion on which game to buy? If so why?

Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2013
    So far from the little information I managed to gather I'm on the fence, since even though I loathe Skrelp or whatever it's called, I'm impartial to Clauncher and like all other exclusives.
    If I can't find new information by the time to make a choice, I guess I'll just flip a coin or buy one of each if money allows?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    So far, the only differences they seem to have are the version-exclusive Pokémon and Mewtwo MegaEvolutions. One thing that they should do is, in my opinion, make the final evolution of the starters look sightly different in each version, if possible. I don't know how many people would like it, but this would definitely make these starter Pokémon more unique than the ones from previous gens.

pedrito3_poke

Banana
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2022
    Well, the only thing I care about version exclusives are the legendaries because you can't breed them, and, since I prefer Yveltal and Mewtwo Y, I'm going for Y (not that I would mind at all having X, because Xerneas and Mewtwo X are pretty damn cool too).
    From the non-legendary version exclusives, Clauncher is my favourite so far, but I don't mind because I will easily get it by trading.

Anyway, version exclusive Pokémon are not a big deal at all. I would like to see different stories and locations, which could actually make me change my mind. Still, even with different stories and locations (they would probably just change some little details anyway), I'm pretty sure I would choose the Destruction Pokémon over the Life Pokémon. I simply find it more interesting.

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    I figured I would post each version exclusives, just to jog people's memory.

Pokemon X

-Xerneas (Fairy Type)
    -Clauncher (Water Type)
    -Swirlix (Fairy Type)
    -Mewtwonite X (MegaMewtwo X)

Pokemon Y

-Yveltal (Dark/Flying Type)
    -Skrelp (Poison/Water Type)
    -Spritzee (Fairy Type)
    -Mewtwonite Y (MegaMewtwo Y)

Ill be picking pokemon X. I just like Xerneas the most, hes a new type and I like the design. Clauncher is an awesome too, Ive always like crustacean pokemon like Krabby and Corpish.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I hope there are more exclusives revealed. Y seems to have really gotten the short end of the exclusive stick based on what we know so far.

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
    Years
  • I liked x simply because I friggin LOVE xereneas. Its too bad he is legendary though lol. I dont really like using legendary that much. oh well. its too majestic to pass.

Years
  • So far, I'm liking X's version exclusives more than Y's. Especially Swirlix and Xerneas, but I'm kinda worried they won't reveal any more exclusives until after the games are released, but given I'll probably get the games around December I think, that could give me time to choose which will be my main version and it's looking like X at this stage.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • At the moment, I feel like buying the X exclusives as I don't like Skrelp or Spritzee.

As for speculation, I wish there could be a reordering of the gyms depending on which game you buy. It may affect the storyline and it may depend on the map of the region as well, but I don't think reordering gyms should be too much of a hassle.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2014
    Pokemon X
    -Xerneas (Fairy Type)
    -Swirlix (Fairy Type)
    -Mewtwonite X (MegaMewtwo X)

Thats my reason

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Ohohohohoho, koff~

I'll be buying both versions of the game. And just my luck that the Pokemon Bank will enable me to trade with just a single handheld! I'll still trade with others, of course. I hope that both versions have enough differences to keep them both separate, but equal. I'd like to see both have their own seperate wild Pokemon as well as certain contests that the other side might be able to unlock through some form of communication. Oh well, both are going to be great. Personally, I'm going for the Xerneas over the other Pokemon, Yveltal. My reasoning is because I've already seen a Dark/Flying type before. Xerneas is something new. And I'm always up for something new, koffi~

Years
  • Tie
    Xerneas - 9
    Yveltal - 9

X wins
    Swirlix-9.5
    Spritzee - 8.5

Y wins
    Clauncher - 6.5
    Skrelp - 8

Since the legendaries are tied, and I don't use them in battle anyway, it's down to the water and fairy exclusives. Since I like Swilix and Skrelp the best of each pair, this is a difficult decision. It's a matter of which one I like better. I am leaning toward Swirlix. So I am thinking about ordering X next Friday to ensure I have a copy by the 12th.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Well as of right now...

Xerneas > Yveltal
    Clauncher > Skrelp
    Spritzee > Swirlix
    Mewtwo X > Mewtwo Y

X: 3
    Y: 1

So it looks like X to me....

Although I'm more interested in those story differences mentioned in interviews, its probably just the legendaries swapped around with different wording but even so...

Plus I have this pattern forming where I switch between primary and secondary versions, purely coincidentally.

Blue - Gold - Sapphire - Diamond - White - X

Last edited:

pokerex

I'm awesome
    Years
  • I'm getting X and a friend of mine is getting Y so exclusive pokemon isn't a problem for me.
    What i would like to see is that there are some areas that you can ony get to if you have X and some areas that you can only go to if you have Y. That would make me want to play both games

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2014
    I'm buying both so that I don't have to deal with exclusives.

Back