• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Pokemon Yellow "Starters"

Rucario

Madam you see before you stand
Years
  • I caught a Caterpie and raised it to level 10 where it became a Butterfree and it learned Confusion. Then I used Confusion on Brock's Pokemon and knocked them all out. It was actually pretty easy once you get Butterfree.

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
    Years
  • I always liked using Nidoran as it was a better pokemon later on in the game than Butterfree. Nidoking was one of the best pokemon in rby and usually had a place on my team.

Ernest

PokeMonRuleZ
    Years
  • 7 year old me's solution:
    • Grind Pikachu to level 20
    • Teach it Slam
    • Continue grinding until it can take out Brock
    • ???
    • Profit!

Modern day me would probably catch a Mankey, Maybe a Nidoran or two for backup.

I used the same solution as you did. Level up Pikachu and teach it Slam. Just keep fighting and stay as long as you can to win the match.

Gundisalvus Kuno

Solving Problems Since 1999
    Years
  • Nidoking all the way. I just could never get past Mankey's unbelievably weak defense. Also, Nidoking complimented the rest of my future team nicely, which usually included the three starters and something like an Alakazam

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • When I was young I would just catch a Pidgey and grind it to level 20 or so, evolving it on the way, then wipe out Brock. I then kept using that Pidgey exclusively for the entire game. By the time I beat the Champion I would have a level 90+ Pidgeot, haha.

Shadow Ball

I <3 ghosties the mosties! :P
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I used a Nidorina against Brock. Her attack was a bit lower than the males, but I think her defense was higher, so I decided on her. Worked pretty well, I don't think she lost a single hit point. XD I kept her all the way through the game, too. I think I ended up teaching her some beast moves... earthquake, bubblebeam, icebeam and toxic or something like that. She was awesome, lol.

Years
  • I wanted to be just like Ash, so I went in with a Butterfree and a Pidgeotto. My Pikachu was like level 24 lol. The other two were around level 18.

BLK

Trainer From The Holon Region
    Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2021
    I caught a nidoran to use against Brock, my strongest pokemon in yellow now is my nidoqueen, beating my pikachu by 30lvls

Years
  • I did what I do in the versions after Crystal, catch something better and ditch the starter. OR I would sometimes trade it asap, evolve it and use a TM on it, then trade it back.

DNZGames

Team Atmos Leader
    Years
  • I took out Brock with my Metapod and Kakuna (believe or not), as I only had 3 Pokemon. Although, whatever happens, I always get a Jigglypuff in ANY Gen-I (and Gen-III Kanto) games because when it is a Wigglytuff, and you find the TM Mega Punch, it can take out an entire party of 6 Pokémon that are all 10 levels higher than it by itself. If only both Jigglypuff and Moon Stones where found before Pewter :/

Annuhh5

White and nerdy.
    Years
  • for some reason, i'd never catch a pidgey, but look around for ages in viridian forest looking for a pidgeotto.

Cascade.

Prepare for trouble...
    Years
  • I caught like, three Nidoran's to try and beat him, but it was actually my Pikachu that did it when it learned quick attack!

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Mankey.
    But with all due respect
    you can beat brock with pikachu
    i've you train really hard >,< it learns quick attack ;D

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
    Years
  • I used various different Pokemon. When I was little, I'd grind Pokemon like Rattata and Pidgey up to level 14 or so, then I'd abuse Tail Whip and Sand Attack, and then I'd use Tackle and Gust to win.
    When I figured out that Fighting type is super effective against Rock, I went and caught Mankey. It took FOREVER to level though, and back then Karate Chop was a Normal type attack. :/
    You know what I read in a gaming mag once? There was a guide for Pokemon Yellow in it, and it said not to go toward the Pokemon League until you had all your badges because there was nothing worth catching there! (You know, that patch of grass where Nidoran male, female, and Mankey all are)

KitKat13

i'm on the right track, baby
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Mar 17, 2012
    Same goes for me, I trained a Nidoran and evolved it and defeated brock. XD;

Back