• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokescape [FINAL RELEASE v1.0.4] - A Pokemon Escape Room

Days
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    CAN YOU MAKE IT OUTTA HERE?

Do you have what it takes to make it past the superior trainers, come up with original strategies and progress through this challenge on your own?
    Or will you be beaten countless times, crawling back to the Game Master begging him for hints? 😈

It's all up to you, your skill and determination!
    There's no mercy for the unskilled and uninspired!

Updated to version 1.0.4 (probably the final release) - see download link in this post
    The final version has plenty updates like added running shoes, instant text, removed money and a few bug fixes. The HONOR MODE option was removed as it was basically never used and tended to confuse players at the very start.
    In case you are encountering REAL soft locks (not fixable by Game Master) or some unlogical situations please get in touch. General feedback is also always appreciated of course. 😊

———————-

This Escape Room like mini rom hack got inspired by this video by SmallAnt:
    If you haven't seen it yet, take the chance. It's big time fun and super interesting how good these Pokemon veterans actually are coping with complex game mechanics.

This game features gen 5 move learnsets (important to know) and can take between 30min to 6hrs of in-game time to complete (depending on the number of hints taken).
    It is a combination of riddles and special Pokemon fights to progress through the map. You start in front of the Pokemon Center and have to reach the house on the left where the play clock stops and you will get your final completion time.

attachment.php

I wanted the game to be beaten without reloading the save state so it features a Game Master NPC that gives you helpful advice in exchange for an additional 30min of game time, in case you are getting stuck. Final time is what matters when comparing to other players.

attachment.php
    attachment.php
    attachment.php

The game is completed by now and realeased as a final version 1.0.4. Still any critics, suggestions or additional ideas are highly welcome!

NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Since this is an escape game it means that you can only play it once and spoilers would destroy the fun.

Download:

Important remark: Make sure to only use mGBA emulator for playing the game. Other emulators could result in unexpected issues like screen freezes. Also make sure to run the newest version of mGBA to avoid errors.
    For Android users: You can use the mGBA core of RetroArch.

Youtube Streams & Videos:
    Here's a collection of streamers that have already played (the beta) on stream.
    DISCLAIMER: Don't watch them if you want to play it yourself.

Spoiler:

CREDITS:
    Spoiler:

Version history:
    Spoiler:

Attachments

• fight1.png
      fight1.png
      19 KB · Views: 2,249
    • final_time.png
      final_time.png
      12.8 KB · Views: 2,228
    • game_master.png
      game_master.png
      12.9 KB · Views: 2,227
    • map.PNG
      map.PNG
      39.3 KB · Views: 2,256
    Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Game description updated as it needed quite a bit more information and loot. ;)

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2023
    Just finished playing through the game. While I really appreciate the effort put into the puzzles, there's unfortunately an easy loophole that completely negates the second part of your puzzle.

Spoiler:

Days
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Just finished playing through the game. While I really appreciate the effort put into the puzzles, there's unfortunately an easy loophole that completely negates the second part of your puzzle.

Spoiler:

Thanks a lot for the feedback!
    I already got the same complaint (and even more) and made a fix for this.

So in version 0.9.1 the following is fixed:
    -grinding into struggle of the first opponent no longer possible (was never planned to work that way)
    -acquiring multiple master balls no longer possible (damn map reloading!)
    -Scyther can no longer enter the hill

It looks much better to me know. Hope it really brings up the challenge now that I wanted it to be! It's supposed to be difficult. :D

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2023
    That's awesome! I have a few more additional comments and queries regarding the puzzles.

Spoiler:

Days
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    That's awesome! I have a few more additional comments and queries regarding the puzzles.

Spoiler:

Much appreciated!

Answers to your remarks/questions in spoilers below. Another tiny fix already deployed to make sure the first fight has no more easy stalling way out! ;-)

Spoiler:

Days
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Thanks to alemazzini and aj9797 I was able to identify and fix open ends/flaws/unnecessary difficulties. 🤗
    The game should now be able to be played and won without any major issues. Feedback is still appreciated of course. 😊

Version 0.9.4 is now available in the first post.

Enjoy!

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I'm a bit late to the party, but I had the pleasure to playtest the rom and playing at the end as intended! Is so clever and so well made you can tell there is some serious thought and love put behind. I love it and hope you will make more and more of theese 😍. I also spammed it to my friends and had some huge laughs watching those who couldn't figure it out! we had some good nights thanks to this

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    was there an EXACT way your supposed to "beat" the 3rd battle? it took decent AI RNG for me to accomplish the goal. which im assuming means it wasn't the intended way. was fun though!

Days
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    was there an EXACT way your supposed to "beat" the 3rd battle? it took decent AI RNG for me to accomplish the goal. which im assuming means it wasn't the intended way. was fun though!

Good question! Third battle is not completely balanced just yet. I am working on an update with less RNG involved. Probably won't make it to be 100% RNG independent, though. But should be doable in like 1-3 gos after I release it and in a certain order that was already flipped around a few times.

It should be ready later this week!

Glad you liked it! :)

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Getting closer to the final release now.
    I just implemented an "Honor mode" that you can choose to play with which adds penalty time for any save state resets your are doing.
    Think it's a cool feature since any kinds of potential soft locks can be navigated with the Game Master NPC.
    It is available for the player's personal challenge and won't have any other effects than this.

For the time being you can enjoy the following Youtube streams/videos that have already been done with the current beta. I will share them in the main post as well.

DISCLAIMER: Don't watch them if you want to play it yourself.

ackolade - Stream
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCU0JdwnnpE&start=1662

Astroid - Stream
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXe1k2dWBxc

Freezai - Video Clip
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNcBnV4BA10

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2023
    Hello, very excited to play this game! The ROM is booting perfectly fine on Linux with mGBA, but not on Android 10 using MyBoy! 1.8.0. Specifically, it freezes after hitting New Game. Any tips to make it work? Thanks!

Years
  • I really enjoyed this, it's not too complicated while still being satisfying to piece together, although I think an extra hint about May's lost item couldn't hurt. I found it quickly but it was kind of sheer luck :p Probably took me an hour and a half or so, but my final time at the end said like 16 hours for some reason lol. I did use a lot of save states to get through the last battle, which I also ended up RNG cheesing to win. I got what I was probably supposed to do afterwards, funnily enough. But honestly gives me incentive to do it better if and when you update again!

I have a couple thoughts, including a suggestion about the sweet apple:
    Spoiler:

It's also not quite clear or intuitive that the game master can help you get past potential softlock situations.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I really enjoyed this, it's not too complicated while still being satisfying to piece together, although I think an extra hint about May's lost item couldn't hurt. I found it quickly but it was kind of sheer luck :p Probably took me an hour and a half or so, but my final time at the end said like 16 hours for some reason lol. I did use a lot of save states to get through the last battle, which I also ended up RNG cheesing to win. I got what I was probably supposed to do afterwards, funnily enough. But honestly gives me incentive to do it better if and when you update again!

I have a couple thoughts, including a suggestion about the sweet apple:
    Spoiler:

It's also not quite clear or intuitive that the game master can help you get past potential softlock situations.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

First of all, I am really happy you liked the hack and thank you so much for this comprehensive feedback!

I think by now I managed to reduce the RNG elements further, so let's see how it works out for you after the 1.0.0.
    16 hours is REALLY a lot. But I guess it's easy to achieve playing at 10x speed lol. In the beta it was also possible to spam the Game Master for the same hint multiple times and he added 30min each. The final version will handle this in a way that already given hints are repeated for free.

Let's get into the Spoiler talk now. ;-)

Spoiler:

I am pretty much done with all the open tasks I had gathered by now. Will do a little bit of play testing and check if I can/will add some of the proposed changes to the game.
    Again, thanks so much for your honest opinion on the UX!

Last edited:
    Back