• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokescape [FINAL RELEASE v1.0.4] - A Pokemon Escape Room

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Hello, very excited to play this game! The ROM is booting perfectly fine on Linux with mGBA, but not on Android 10 using MyBoy! 1.8.0. Specifically, it freezes after hitting New Game. Any tips to make it work? Thanks!

Hey, I definitely suggest using mGBA if you are using an emulator. I have heard that mobile emus don't work as expected but this seems to be a general issue. Maybe it is related to decomp hacks, I can't really tell. But I am afraid I can't do anything about this. :/

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I really enjoyed this, it's not too complicated while still being satisfying to piece together, although I think an extra hint about May's lost item couldn't hurt. I found it quickly but it was kind of sheer luck :p Probably took me an hour and a half or so, but my final time at the end said like 16 hours for some reason lol. I did use a lot of save states to get through the last battle, which I also ended up RNG cheesing to win. I got what I was probably supposed to do afterwards, funnily enough. But honestly gives me incentive to do it better if and when you update again!

I have a couple thoughts, including a suggestion about the sweet apple:
    Spoiler:

It's also not quite clear or intuitive that the game master can help you get past potential softlock situations.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm finally happy with the v1.0.0 and would love to share out with you guys now!
    I updated the main post including the new download and version history.

The final version now has plenty updates in game balancing, Game Master logic, NPC hints and also features an HONOR MODE that will add additional penalty time in case the player is reloading from a save file. Of course this mode is optional to choose for the player.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and don't find any more flaws in game play and user experience. ;-)
    If so, please let me know!

Happy escaping!

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2023
    Played through it this evening with friends! Enjoyed it a lot!

We escaped using three hints, but once we figured out a direction the pieces fell together really nicely!

It was well thought out/put together! Good work!

Spoiler:

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Little update to version 1.0.1 bringing a few updates to hint messages to improve the user experience.
    The download link in the main post has been updated.

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Another small update today after getting some more feedback from streamers.
    I also included a new twitch stream of the game from German speaking streamer sephiron in the main post.

PhantorGlam

I change fav pokemon more often than underwear.
    Days
  • What's the matter? The patcher should be in the download as well together with a small read me. :)
    yes but there's two things, i don't know wich option to use and the rom won't change, it's just emerald

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    yes but there's two things, i don't know wich option to use and the rom won't change, it's just emerald
    The name of the ROM won't change from the patch. But it should look different after starting a game.
    You would need to use "patch an existing file" and select the patch and the original Emerald version.
    That should be all.

PhantorGlam

I change fav pokemon more often than underwear.
    Days
  • The name of the ROM won't change from the patch. But it should look different after starting a game.
    You would need to use "patch an existing file" and select the patch and the original Emerald version.
    That should be all.
    Nope, nothing happens, look,
    (had to upload it to youtube bc i can´t upload it here)

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Nope, nothing happens, look,
    (had to upload it to youtube bc i can´t upload it here)
    Are you by any chance trying to patch a zip file instead of a gba file? Cause that's probably the issue.
    Oh and it's suggested to use mGBA.

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Pushed another minor update to version 1.0.3 getting rid of crits entirely and doing some more polishing. See version history.
    Download link as always to be found in the main post.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2024
    Love to see another Pokémon Escape Room. Hope this is the beginning of a very long series of releases in this new genre.

If I may be so bold as to give some feedback on one part of the puzzle
    Spoiler: warning wall of text coming up

Hope my feedback is something that can help you. Would love to hear your thoughts :)

TL;DR: love your escape room, very much looking forward to the Museum one, hope future puzzles will be set up so experimenting is allowed/encouraged rather than punished.

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Love to see another Pokémon Escape Room. Hope this is the beginning of a very long series of releases in this new genre.

If I may be so bold as to give some feedback on one part of the puzzle
    Spoiler: warning wall of text coming up

Hope my feedback is something that can help you. Would love to hear your thoughts :)

TL;DR: love your escape room, very much looking forward to the Museum one, hope future puzzles will be set up so experimenting is allowed/encouraged rather than punished.
    Thank you so much for the comprehensive feedback!

I understand the points you are raising and have to admit that in this case it's actually on purpose. In fact, I wanted players to be punished for making wrong decisions. It's usually the result of being too hasty making decision without having all available information.
    In contrast to the few other escape rooms in existence at least there's always a fix for these occasions.

But on the other side I do agree with you. There could be ways around some of the situations you described that still require deeper knowledge of the game mechanics.

Anyways, the new escape room that I will release this week, has less of these situations and especially wrong item usage is no longer penalized.

Thanks again for the feedback and I am very eager to hear your thoughts about the upcoming one as well!!!

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2024
    It's usually the result of being too hasty making decision without having all available information.
    I get what you're going for but I feel the information on where to use that item isn't even available yet. It only becomes available after the first trainer.

Anyways, the new escape room that I will release this week, has less of these situations and especially wrong item usage is no longer penalized.
    Very happy to read that. I really think that just like SmallAnt inspired you, you in turn will inspire a lot of other people to make these puzzles.

Aside from my two nitpicks I did really enjoy your puzzle and must admit have been thinking of following your example and making one myself :)

Thanks again for the feedback and I am very eager to hear your thoughts about the upcoming one as well!!!
    Can't wait to try it out.

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    I get what you're going for but I feel the information on where to use that item isn't even available yet. It only becomes available after the first trainer.

Very happy to read that. I really think that just like SmallAnt inspired you, you in turn will inspire a lot of other people to make these puzzles.

Aside from my two nitpicks I did really enjoy your puzzle and must admit have been thinking of following your example and making one myself :)

Can't wait to try it out.
    Really cool to hear!
    Let's stay in touch then. Drop me a PM if you have any questions or want an honest opinion :)

Days
    • Seen Jan 20, 2024
    Hi, I'm having issues with patching. I've tried patching with 3 different ROMs. The Trashman, and two that were just called Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe). In each one, it patches correctly but the game freezes when I click a move in battle. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi, I'm having issues with patching. I've tried patching with 3 different ROMs. The Trashman, and two that were just called Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe). In each one, it patches correctly but the game freezes when I click a move in battle. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong.
    What emulator are you working with?
    Try out mGBA as it's the most reliable out there.

Back