• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokeworld (MMOG) Needs Help.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2012
    Great! Thanks. Now I must ramble for a second to make it let me post ...

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Hi all,

I'm still chugging along slowly with the editor. Discouragingly slowly its too the point where I don't like to look at it now. However I will compile a list of things that I currently have left to do to release v2 of the editor so you map people can get going.
    Code:
    1. Finish the tile effector tool. (Paint tile effectors on the map)

2. TileSet Editor

A. Parse tile image

B. Add ability to create auto tiles

C. Give the ability to assign auto-tile-types to a certain tile

D. Create animated tile sequencer

E. Random-Tile sequencer

F. File IO

3. Use new tileset within map editor

4. Write Auto-Tile tool

A. Adjust tile palette to flip to auto-tile mode

5. Randaom Tile Tool

A. Adjust tile pallet to flip to random tile mode

6. Adjust object set editor to use auto-tile typing

7. Editor file IO

9. Teletile (This is small I promise)

Ok this is a pretty long list but you can look forward to doing the following things with the editor.

Creating OverWorld and Single Maps with the same interface.

Creating animated objects and tiles.

Creating Day/Night sprites for the game, which unlocks the ability to have day / night in game!

Map editing with. Auto-Tiles for areas, Flood fill, Random Tiles (For like grass where there are multiple grass tiles and you want a random one), Placing objects and not worrying about adjusting collision. Placing tiles and not worrying about making them water or jump tiles.

Script PokeBalls and Single Party Member Use items

Create pokemon files. (This is probably going to be missing a feature so some edjumacated person will tell me what I'm missing)

Creating background music loops. (With assistance from ModPlug Tracker)

Lets put it this way folks. I'm putting alot of effort into the editor so that you guys can get involved. Its gonna be nice, user friendly, and stable. There's a couple things its lacking but it will be better than before, not that you've used it, but before if you clicked things in the wrong order it would crash. So this is quite the improvement.

I'm hoping to have beta ready for the end of May. Why? Thats when the game competition at Miami University is. So I'm hoping to fully sweep the awards. In the past I've missed a couple. But if I get my act together I might just take em all ;)

So tomorrow I will update my first post with new job searchings for you guys to get in there and help. If we pull together we could have a really cool playable game. Things that need work on the cosmetic side of things.

The item screen. Boy did I puke on this one. That item screen I made earlier looks horrible but the problem is its the combat item screen, and not very helpful it needs to be reworked.

The main interface. I'm looking to expand the size of the screen to incorporate a better chat area, one with a fancy scroll bar. Also a side bar, with a view of your current pokemon as well as friends list and other features.

This thursday I will be embarking on a band trip with ... the band... its a long bus ride, so what better to do than to code on my BRAND NEW LAPTOP!

Also I need some content help here.

Typical MMO's have crafting systems, Proffessions, crafting whatever you wanna call it. Where the players produce items. I've always wanted to do an advanced crafting system. Where each item had like a quality rating and better skills yeilded better quality items. And you could get better finished products from better quality resources. So what should be craftable?

Where should money come from? Typical MMOs have you slaughtering stuff for them. You can't really go slaughter pokemon for money. There's no NPC battles in the game yet. Where should this come from?

I'm looking at the first special feature implemented after basic features being a Battle Dome. Where tournaments would take place. Winners of the tournaments would receive tickets which could get them a chance to capture a legendary. Or a large cash sum. You would pay to get in. There would be different tournament rules. Mostly to accommodate for competitive battling. (BTW, Smogon tier ratings for pokemon WILL be part of the pokedex, whenever i get around to putting that in) What are your thoughts on tournaments? How should they be run, How often, what would the place look like? Stuff like that.

I need someway to create a team rating, something that gives one play eran idea of the caliber of another players team. Without giving away the build of the team. So that they can be matched up easily for matches and such.

And I'll end on the note that I did not proof read this post at all so if its rambling, its because its 11pm, I'm tired, and I needed something to post!

~Tocs

Last edited:

ScaldingHotSoup

/\Guess the name reference!/\
    Years
  • For money, I think I may have some ideas. They get a bit awesome at the end. I'd like to take a page out of xkcd's book and say I have been preparing for the last one for quite some time.

AI trainers - each player can fight a certain number of AI trainers a day. The money gained depends on the level trainer he fights.

Tournaments - This probably couldn't be a regular source, but tournaments could provide an influx of credits fairly quickly.

Fighting other players - Perhaps instead of taking half the money of the opponent, they could just get a percentage of what that player has, with no reduction in the loser's credits. If this were to work, there'd have to be a limit on the number of times players could play an individual player.

Perhaps instead of money, defeated pokemon could drop items - no thief/covet/capturing required. People could sell these if they wished in order to buy bigger, more useful ones. Hard cash could be earned through fighting in tournaments.

Daily cash allowance and fighting other trainers

Minigames (PLZ NO MINIGAMES)

Acts of God

amount awarded per day determined by number of funny pictures on comp

Theik

Fancy Cape Knight
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2014
    Gogo gadget Theik-Answering-Bag.

First of all, the creating a Pokémon tile thingymabob. I'd suggest making them 'linked' to others nearby, and by that I mean:

This system might end up with -a lot- of pokétiles for say, an ocean. This'd severely fill your server with duplicates.
    Tile 1? Magikarp, Tentacool, Horsea, Staryu... check.
    Tile 2? Magikarp, Tentacool, Horsea, Staryu... check.
    Tile 3? Magikarp, Tentacool, Horsea, Staryu... check.
    Tile 4? Magikarp, Tentacool, Horsea, Staryu... check.
    Tile 5? ....

etc. A better option would perhaps to be able to create an 'encounter area', a really large block where you define the Pokémon encounter ones, and then all a Pokémon block would do is say 'ok, you can encounter a Pokémon here, just look at the encounter area I'm in to see what I am'.

poketile.png

It might look the same at first glance, but in the second picture, you'd only have to define "Rattata level x, Pidgey level x, whatever level x" once for the big red area and then place tiles that do nothing more than remember they're a pokétile, while in your version, you'd have two hundred tiles all remembering what Pokémon they should spawn, even though they all spawn the exact same Pokémon. And while remembering an ID and a level isn't really going to kill memory all that quickly, you're still going to end up with millions of Pokétiles in the end, and then the difference in memory useage of your version vs mine will become far more obvious.

Something else your tile system is missing and you may or may not want to implement is reflecting surfaces. I just grabbed the first picture I could find on google, but it should show what I mean:
    Reflection.png

It's hardly a life or death feature, but it does make the setting feel a lot more immersive.

Crafting/Money:
    I'll just throw these two together. You could go with the typical MMO system where mob x drops something when they faint. Say you beat a Pidgey, you get some Tail Feathers. Beat a Pikachu and there's a chance you get an Apricorn. These could be sold for money to vendors (which would solve your money problem) and at the same time, they could be turned into different things. Apricorns could be turned into Pokéballs, combine a lot of tail feathers and your character gets to wear a feather headgear thing. I'm sure you could come up with something. :P

As for the tournament rating, I'd suggest simply doing something along the lines of WoW's arena rating. A new trainer starts out at a rating. Let's say 1000. 1000 vs 1000 is evenly matched. 1000vs2000 the one with 1000 is in way over his head. 1000vs500 he's very likely to win.

In the 1000vs1000 setting, the winner would get 10 points, the loser would lose 10 points. But if the one with 1000 were to win to the one with 2000, he'd get maybe 50 points, and the 2000 one would lose 50 points. Likewise, if the 1000 person was to beat the 500 point one, the 500 one might lose only 2 points, and the 1000 one would only gain 2 points.

The higher somebody's ranking, the better they are, yet at the same time, they can't continiously beat up somebody with a really low ranking because they'd end up getting no points whatsoever once the gap gets too big.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2012
    In my opinion, I dont think the drops thing would really work. Because its a pokemon game, you dont kill them, they just get knocked out. Maybe you could do something with berries? Different to the previous games, or, including the stuff from the last games. This could mean for a few minigames, or like scaldinghotsoup says, if someone doesnt want to spend time doing the mini-game for it, they could just get the item with a lower quality. And I agree with Theik about the whole more points thing.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Theik, your system is sorta what my system is.

Tile Effectors are basically attachments to a tile. You create one Tile Effector and attach it to multiple tiles. In the case of pokesquares...

Say your working on a rout and you can encounter Pidgey, Ratatta, and Zigzagoon. You would create a single PokeSquare for those pokemon and paint it over top of the grass tiles. In memory there is only one instance for many different actual tiles, all using the same PokeSquare. This makes things easy to do, use less memory, and be rather flexible.

Another way of explaining it is. The TileEffector doesnt know what area it has, but the tiles know which tile effector they have.

Reflections I've thought about. They will probably be linked to the surfable tile type. While there, (I'm guessing), some water tiles without reflections. If nessicary there will be a second surfable with no reflection.

Battles won't yeild a part of your opponents money. Only what the wager. You can have just for fun battles or stake items, Pokemon, or money on the outcome. This rules out getting a percentage of what they have. This would create exponential money growth in the game and create MASSIVE INFLATION.

More on PVP.

I was thinking of keeping a record of Wins / Losses for each player as far as PVP goes. When you challenge a Player it can be either For-Stakes or Just-For-Fun. In a stakes game you can wager items, money, or pokemon on the outcome of the battle. Or nothing wagered at all. Only For-Stakes battles will count towards your PVP Wins / Losses. We could explore the thought of EXP only being awarded in for-stakes battles. This would keep people from ruining their record helping a friend by having an EV training team that they would get sucker punched around...

PokeBalls are an obvious thing for crafting.

We could make what your wearing effect your gameplay. (Asside from hair style) Unless were counting hats....

Suppose some clothing made you a better pokemon hunter and you could encounter rarer pokemon if you had proper camoflage clothing. Maybe a certain clothing boosted a fire pokemon attacks, or increased pokemon speed. Maybe some gave you an advantage when capturing pokemon. Maybe some even increased your movement speed. I dunno just thinking out loud (erm via text)

Also what about FLY not instantly teleporting you to the town you want, but it would put you in a higher level up where you could see down, but there were clouds up with yo7u as well and your movement would be trippled or quadroupled. Kinda like surf but for the sky. Also I was planning 2x movement speed for surfing because its just annoying to surf slow. (More thoughts)

I had meager progress today, I had to write something for my compsci teacher. It was a Sprite Buddy file parser for XNA. It loads animations in, if you use XNA and want it, I'd be happy to send it. Anyway I'm looking forward to writing code on my bus ride. I have 4.5 hour battery life on my laptop.

Anyway, again I didnt proof read this. Its just kinda thoughts spewing into text.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2012
    I see what you mean about the whole crafting thing, but plucking feathers etc from knocked out creatures doesnt seem very pokemon-y like ... But it's up to you, youre the creator. I agree with the whole pokeballs and clothing thing, I just dont feel that the way they'd be made would go along with the whole pokemon theme. I suppose there isnt really anything else apart from drops to craft from.

And I like that idea on battles. But I think all battles, against both pokemon and trainers should yield exp because otherwise it may become slightly too hard.

ScaldingHotSoup

Years
  • Alright, Tocs had me writing the intro song, so if anyone's interested in hearing what I've composed, click teh link. It's a little over 1 minute long, and sufficiently epic.

*edit* as of 9:00 the Tournament waiting area theme is finished.
    View attachment 45241 - Intro screen theme.

View attachment 45243 - Tournament Battle Waiting theme. Or something. Tocs likes it, so I guess it's good. :P

Squee! I found the sound tags. :D

Last edited:

ScaldingHotSoup

Years
  • *edit* sry bout the double post, I thought both were important enough to deserve their own post in their own right.
    Questions:

Gameplay:

Spoiler:

Structure:
    Spoiler:

Networking:
    Spoiler:

Law & Order
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Good questions I'll answer in Bold.

Gameplay:

Spoiler:

Structure:
    Spoiler:

Networking:
    Spoiler:

Law & Order
    Spoiler:
    [/quote]

Waudby

I believe you can actually receive donations through the site without actually breaking copyright laws and doing anything wrong.

As long as it is not a mandatory donation you can have an option for people to send you money.

You must also remember, that there cannot be any link between money and content, otherwise it could be said that they are paying for the content.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • But that can be countered saying people are donating to keep the content on the server.
    Look at what is happening to Pirate Bay right now. None of the content (torrents in their case) were even put on the web by them but they are still getting bit in the a$$ by justice lol.

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
  • hmm what about google or other sites advertisement? Would that still break copyright laws? And what about those sites where you get money each time someone click on a link (on that case it would be the game download link).

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Waudby, I might take donations in the future, not likely. BUT it doesn't have to be charging money to break the copyright laws. Just creating does that, ergo this entire forum is crushing copyright laws into a tiny ball and spitting on them. However, Nintendo does not so much care as long as your not making money off of it.

Ok on the bus and in the past day I've put in alot on the editor its very close to being finished. Then I can finally move back to working on the actual game instead of its toolset yay!

Theik

Fancy Cape Knight
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2014
    Making a site and making it link back to your character profiles and the like is quite easy once you've got a database set up. You could quite easily put together a profile that shows your looks and the like, I've managed to pull it off in the past to create a WoW themed idea where you could pick your skin colour, your hairstyle, your hair colour and your hair colour, all in PHP by simply overlaying images.

The main problem will be trying to figure out how to turn that into one solid image (so it can be used on other forums), but I'm relatively certain PHP can pull that off too.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    I know PHP can create dynamic images... Observe a rotating avatar created with PHP... Every time you refresh the page, its different...

You can render on the image too, I did a custom runescape signature a while back but it doesnt function anymore cuz they added new skills...

Edit ok, its not showing up on the forums... Silly forums...

I was thinking the forums would show your trainer card. Which would reflect your current team, your ingame character's appearence, your Team Rating, your PVP Wins/Losses, etc....

Last edited:

ScaldingHotSoup

Years
  • I think I might have a solution to the items/money problem. It's even scalable to skill level!

Instead of having trainers have "bounties" of sorts like they do in the game, why not set those to pokemon? You can make the income from killing, say, a Bidoof, equivalent to (the sum of its base stats (250) * level / catch rate)*(level/level of winning pokemon) or something. For a level 5 Bidoof, that equals 5. For a level 50 Uxie, it equals 9667. (at neutral levels) You'd probably have to have a balancing part to the equation that makes it easier to get income at low levels and harder at higher levels.

I think the catch rate part of the equation is particularly important because it makes rarer pokemon more rewarding to catch.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Hi guys, I'm very close to having a working editor here only a couple more days, this weekend was super busy, to the point I feel I didnt get a weekend. So I didnt get much done but I'm still making progress. The editor is taking longer than I wanted but thats ok.

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2009
    Screen Name:Vaughands

Job: Programmer (C#)

Qualifications: I really honestly can't give you any, I can write you some
    sample code to show you what I can do. I could also write an application for you and provide the source.
    I think this is a very fair solution.

Samples: Once again, not much I can do.. please do read above.

//Thank you.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    I dunno, I really would like to see some sample code. Perhaps something simple like write a program to take an entered string and determine if the parentheses in the string are correct.

"((()())()))" Correct
    and
    "(((()())())(" Incorrect

I'm probably just gonna look for correct style, tabbing, and stuff like that

Also how do you like your parentheses?

Code:
    if (Blah == true) {
         //do stuff
    }
    or

Code:
    if (Blah == true) 
    {
         //do stuff
    }
    I prefer the second method

In other news. I worked on the chat box today at school because I forgot the updated editor source. In all textboxes you no longer have to mash the backspace key to delete text. Also a new scroll bar lets you see what was said. I'm working on proper word wrapping.

Last edited:
    Back