• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Possible New Ways to Evolve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
Years
  • What was wrong with the good old days where you leveled up, traded or gave a stone to pokes to evolve them? I think they're going overboard with new ways so as not to leave any gaps.

For example - I think you should just be able to give Eevee a Leaf Stone to evolve it into Leafeon. GF used the moss rock idea because you couldn't get Leafeon in previous generations - so it makes sense that way.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I actually do not want them to add any new ways to evolve. I think it's bad enough already. >_< I mean, I can't even remember how everything evolves anymore. It was manageable up until Gen 4 but with the addition of "oh, yeah it'll evolve when it learns ___ move!" I just lost hope. I expect there to be stupid evolutions like that from now on but I'm not thrilled about it. :/

Since they'll obviously need a way to justify why you couldn't evolve, say, Farfetch'd in any of the other 4 gens, I think they should stick to location-based evolutions. They aren't perfect but hey, it's a quick explanation and it's an easy one.

myrrh25

New account soon.
    Years
  • All they need to do is make it easier to get a pokemon to hate you. Really when you think about, it should be very easy, they can just add another option when you click your pokemon, right under Summary Move Item etc there should be "Kick", and it brings up a little animation of you kicking your Grumpig or w/e in the ribs several times before putting it back in its pokeball.

Imagine how much frustration a player could get out by doing this after their pokemon misses some attack 3 times in a row :-)

You sir, are a god!
    Never have a laughed so hard at a thread post before!
    Mainly because after my experience of my friends Zapdos failing to hit my Zubat...
    He failed to hit me with Thunder four times in a row, my Quick Claw kicked in, Astonish flinched him, Quick Claw came in again and I confused him, and he hit himself 3 times in a row.

If that doesn't make you want to kick your Zapdos, I don't know what will.

Alpha_Spike

Ace Trainer
    Years
  • But your analogy isn't really accurate, because a cat eating a bird is doing so out of hunger and necessity, while pokemon attacking other pokemon in a battle do not have a real need to do so. They're doing so because their trainedr makes them do it, so in an indirect way all pokemon games are about trainers attacking pokemon. Even to catch a pokemon, you need to attack it first.

I was only joking again, don't take it so seriously pls.

You say Pokemon don't have a need to battle yet why is it that if you try and run away but fail the wild Pokemon attacks your Pokemon? All natural things require conflict and violence. Name anything that doesn't have any form of conflict or violence in it these days.

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
    Years
  • Well, IF they were going to make a "hatred-evolution" the least they can do is make it so if we attack our own Pokemon is double-battles, that there happiness go down. But then, you have people complaining about my Rhydon used Earthquake and now my Typhlosion hates me! T.T So yeah, it probably won't happen.

Gender-influencing evolution? Seems interesting, but wouldn't that make Pokemon that evolve under a female trainer more rare? I'm not trying to start a flamebate or anything but it seems that more guys than girls play Pokemon.

No conflict and violence? Hmmm...yup you've got me stumped. XD

IV Evolution would be near-impossible unless it was something like greater than or less than. Why? Think about it, IV's go from 1-21, right? Well, everytime you catch a Pokemon those values are random so if it was ==18, then you would have to catch ALOT of Pokemon.

EV Evolution wouldn't be as hard, but still probably too difficult for tykes to understand.

Years
  • I actually think it's kind of fun to have different types of evolutions. It makes the whole "pokemon trainer" title actually fit.

And I really don't mind location-based evolutions. The only problem I had was that in HG/SS there was no equivalent location. Why can't I get a Leafeon in Ilex Forest? Why no Magnezone on Mt. Moon? THAT bugged me.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2010
    I really hope there isnt MORE ways to evo pokemon >.< I was fine when it was lvl trade and exp

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I know this is impossible, but I would much prefer having the number of ways to evolve simplified and reduced to only a few, so forget making new.

But again, this will never happen, because they never seem to correct older ways, and instead introduce new ways.
    I'm sure Eevee would have evolved into Leafeon using Leaf Stone, but they made the new way just so that people can't say "Why didn't it evolve before when I tried?"

So yeah, if things could be simplified, I would like only these methods:
    1. Evolution by leveling up.
    2. Evolution using items/stones.
    3. Evolution from happiness.
    4. Evolution by gender.
    5. Evolution by holding an item and leveling up.

I want evolutions to be changed in these ways so that only these five methods are needed:
    1. Politoed to evolve by holding King's Rock and leveling up one level instead.
    2. Kadabra, Machoke, Haunter, and Graveler to evolve by leveling up instead.
    3. I don't even want Magnezone to exist, but if it did I want it to evolve using Thunderstone.
    4. Steelix and Scizor to evolve by holding the Metal Coat and leveling up one level.
    5. Tyrouge to evolve using three specific items instead of stats.
    6. all evolutions needing certain moves to be changed to just normal level up evolution.
    7. Kingdra to evolve by holding Dragon Scale and leveling up one level.
    8. All baby Pokemon to evolve through happiness and leveling up one level.
    9. Leafeon and Glaceon to evolve using Leaf Stone and Dawn Stone instead.
    10. The Porygon family to evolve by using the discs.
    11. Gliscor and Weavile to evolve by leveling up holding their respective items.

They do evolve by holding an item and leveling up at night. I agree with simplifying though since there are so many inconvenient ways to evolve someone.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    What about evolutions depending on weather conditions? I don't think we have this yet (do we? lol) Apart from the whole night and day thing of course. They have it for formes, why not evolutions? :0

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
  • Do something with berries. Kinda like how Feebas evolves. They could make a psuedo Eevee like that. A Pokemon can evolve into 5 different forms depending on if you give to Max Tough, Cool, Smart, Cute or Beauty. I think I'd like that.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Do something with berries. Kinda like how Feebas evolves. They could make a psuedo Eevee like that. A Pokemon can evolve into 5 different forms depending on if you give to Max Tough, Cool, Smart, Cute or Beauty. I think I'd like that.

I could definitely see something like that. Would be pretty cool!

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
  • What about evolutions depending on weather conditions? I don't think we have this yet (do we? lol) Apart from the whole night and day thing of course. They have it for formes, why not evolutions? :0

thats very similar to a terrain evo

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    The problem I'm noting with most of the suggestions so far is that when new methods of evolution/prevolution appeared in each generation of games, it was something that could NOT happen in the earlier games: friendship and item holding were new to generation II (as was putting TWO Pokemon in the daycare), contest stats or incense as a type of item did not exist until generation III, and the items, places, and movesets that evolved generation IV Pokemon were completely new. Also, almost all recipients of new methods of evolving had existed in the previous games without the evo. So unless the "new method" involves a new item in conjunction with an existing method (or a combination, e.g. level up with a high friendship level while holding THIS item), any new method ought to revolve around a new feature of the games themselves. Methods like weather, IV/EV, hatred, etc. are out as possibilities for the same reason Leafeon doesn't come from a leaf stone: you can try them in the old games without anything happening.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • Do something with berries. Kinda like how Feebas evolves. They could make a psuedo Eevee like that. A Pokemon can evolve into 5 different forms depending on if you give to Max Tough, Cool, Smart, Cute or Beauty. I think I'd like that.
    I was thinking something like this too. The only Pokémon that requires a max contest condition to evolve is Feebas, so it'd be cool to see one that evolves with max Toughness or something.

The problem I see with the "Pokémon evolves when it hates you" is, based on the current happiness mechanic, when you catch a Pokémon it's at the least amount of base happiness for its species. All you'd have to do is level it up once to get the evolved form, unless of course the evolution delved into negative happiness and so on. I dunno, it just seems like it would be a big pain to do it that way.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
  • I was thinking something like this too. The only Pokémon that requires a max contest condition to evolve is Feebas, so it'd be cool to see one that evolves with max Toughness or something.

The problem I see with the "Pokémon evolves when it hates you" is, based on the current happiness mechanic, when you catch a Pokémon it's at the least amount of base happiness for its species. All you'd have to do is level it up once to get the evolved form, unless of course the evolution delved into negative happiness and so on. I dunno, it just seems like it would be a big pain to do it that way.

you would have to buy the herb items that decrease happiness

Years
  • Evolve a pokemon by making it faint. Like a dog pokemon that evolves into a zombie dog pokemon when it faints while holding revive.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back