• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Post your unpopular Pokémon opinions

Years
    And on the note of Generation V, this has to be said by me after some of the responses in the PGC 30-Day thing. I'm probably gonna cheese off some people here, but I so don't care. I thought of different ways to say this, but right now i'd rather keep it short and to the point.

Spoiler:

I might go more in-depth with this on the Generation V forum, but for now I had to. BRING IT.

Last edited:

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
    • Gen III/IV had the best regions, but D/P are the worst Pokémon games to date
    • I enjoy the amount of water in R/S/E, and wish there was more of a sense of exploration in future gens
    • Gen V is underrated, and has by far the best plot of all main series games
    • the best Pokémon from Gen IV were the cross-gen evolutions
    • Umbreon and Espeon look too bland for me to like them
    • Emerald is the best main series game to date, maybe tied with Platinum
    • I wish GF would stop catering to the competitive crowd like they have the past two gens and focus on PvE
    • E > OR/AS > R/S
    • Infernape looks awful compared to Torterra and Empoleon
    • while I agree the main series plot should deviate from the formulaic piece of crap it is now, it should not become a 2edgy4u series full of death and despair
    • Rhypherior, Magmortar and Electivire are fucking cool I don't care what anyone says about them
    • while I like 3D, GF aren't using it to their full potential
    • GF needs to stop making remakes after D/P/Pt remakes, or alternatively just releases remakes of the third versions
    • Grass starters are massively underrated apart from Gen IV/V starters, especially Meganium and Venusaur
    • we don't need so many Megas, and if we do get any more they should mostly be for trash mons
    • current Exp. Share would be good if we could toggle it between one mon and whole party
    • Ho-Oh > Lugia
    • Dialga > Palkia
    • I love both Giratina's Origin and Altered Forme
    • Pokébank should've just been a local thing and then you could maybe pay the $5 a year for cloud storage as well as local
    • GF are ridiculously lazy devs who should probably pass the baton off to another company
    • R/B Rescue Team > Explorers of Sky > EoT/D
    • Friend Areas were a really cool concept in R/BRT that should've been kept in T/D/S
    • Pokémon Ranger games are way too tedious for me to take seriously, and while the Capture Styler is a decent concept, it isn't executed that well and is a lot more tiring compared to the traditional process of button inputs
    • Mewtwo looks nice but also looks like a lazy copy of Frieza from DBZ
    • now that we've got Primal Reversion for Groudon and Kyogre it should also be applied to Palkia and Dialga, with a modified version of PD from PMD as the concept
    • Shadow Pokémon should've been brought over to the main series as minibosses
    • Struggle should leave all mons at 1HP, like a self-inflicting False Swipe because it's really irritating in practice
    • Regis > Birds > Dog/Cat/Beast-things >>>>> the Aladdins: Smurf, Leprechaun and Grimey
    • people shit on Legendaries way too much for what they are, and are easily weak enough to 1/2HKO them with a supereffective attack and shouldn't be banned from the Battle Facilities or online PvP

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2015
    • Gen III/IV had the best regions, but D/P are the worst Pokémon games to date
    • I enjoy the amount of water in R/S/E, and wish there was more of a sense of exploration in future gens
    • Gen V is underrated, and has by far the best plot of all main series games
    • Emerald is the best main series game to date, maybe tied with Platinum
    • I wish GF would stop catering to the competitive crowd like they have the past two gens and focus on PvE
    • E > OR/AS > R/S
    • while I agree the main series plot should deviate from the formulaic piece of crap it is now, it should not become a 2edgy4u series full of death and despair
    • while I like 3D, GF aren't using it to their full potential

I agree with all of these, especially the first and third points. For me, Black/White is the last game I really found myself totally immersed into what I was playing, and the pacing of the journey was perfect. Every game after that, there's always been something missing for me. Part of it may be age, as I'm in my early 20's now, but there's a certain kind of magic that's been missing from Pokemon since B2/W2 in my opinion. Also the games are way too easy now. I mean I know it's Pokemon, but come on. I always find myself wanting to hack the games (mainly important trainer rosters) to make things more interesting/challenging for myself.

Sharrkyy

You don't wait for the storm to end, you learn to
    Years
    I hate how GameFreak keeps making remakes. If they're going to make a remake please for the love of god just make one game the remake. Take ORAS into example. It should have just been a emerald remake. Why you may ask? Because it ruins the original game. It gives it better graphics and most likely will change a lot of the cities and towns inside of the game. For HG/SS they should have just done a Gold remake. I don't know why they wouldn't have done silver (because I love HG so much >.<). Or they could just scrap the whole remake idea out the window , now considering that all the original games have remakes. Unless of course they want to get people to buy the new one since its got "better" graphics and "more enhanced" gameplay.
    Hopefully you don't take this to harshly but for real I only like playing HG, Platnium, and Black version (or white). ORAS was good but they need to stop making remakes now. (at least I am finally caught up with the Hoenn region since my first game EVER was Pokémon Heart Gold <-- The remake -.-).

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    I'm very sorry if I had insulted anybody's taste in mons, and if I happened to state an opinion that isn't unpopular, please don't rant at me.

Here they are:
    Spoiler:

That's it. I'm very sorry if I had insulted anybody's opinion, as I repeat.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
    Unpopular Opinion #1: I think OR/AS are the best games in the entire series, and Team Aqua/Magma are my favorite villain organization.

Unpopular Opinion #2: I think B/W's story is overrated, and I don't like N as a character.

Side note: I actually hear a lot of hate for PokeTubers, but... I don't see a reason to. Those videos aren't the most backbreaking work in the world, but they still do put a lot of time and effort into those videos, and they're getting paid to do something they love. They found a way to turn a childhood passion into a job. Who WOULDN'T, given the opportunity? And most of them really... don't get paid all that much. I think the amount the top YouTubers get paid throws people off on how much the rest make. Even moderately well known ones like GameGrumps... really don't make all that much money. They're certainly not rich. And honestly, they ARE getting information out and they're increasing hype. They actually greatly -benefit- the Pokemon series and keep it more relevant. I'd say they deserve compensation for that alone.

Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2020
    Seems like a good place to make my first post...

Blaziken doesn't look very cool. In fact it's ugly. Lucario too.

I love the first three gens but it's nigh-impossible to play games of those gens because of the lack of physical/special split.

The only bad thing about Gen V is the bizzarely nerfed gym leaders/Elite Four (why they've limited them to max 4/3 pokemon respectively I don't know. Much less of a challenge and less fun to fight.)

The idea of trade evolutions should be smashed into tiny pieces and set on fire.

I haven't played ORAS but HGSS and FRLG were, while great games, disappointing to me because of how little they changed. They should take the opportunity to see where the original games went wrong and correct that (e.g. GSC's terrible level curve)

3) I think B/W are vastly superior to any of the games that came before, and to their sequels. Can't say anything about OR/AS and X/Y as I haven't played those so that's why I'm not all-out declaring "B/W ARE THE BEST GAMES EVAH".

I loved how they only included Gen V Pokémon, and I feel that's what they should have done in any generation. It's kinda like learning a new language. When you find yourself in a situation where you have to speak another language you haven't exactly mastered and don't have the option to fall back on your native language to communicate, you have your back against the wall. You have to speak this new language. That's what happens when you only put the new Pokémon. There are no old, familiar faces. Fans have to learn the new Pokémon's names and typings, because they really don't want to do something as stupid as using Dig on Scraggy just 'cause they think it's an Electric-type. They have to adapt to this completely new setting.
    I thought it was brilliant, though I can understand why so many people have found it frustrating.

Besides this, I loved the storyline. They managed to avoid what pretty much killed the Sinnoh games - having two climaxes. You beat the League and Team Plasma at the same time, and the plot doesn't run out. In D/P/Pt, you beat Team Galactic, and then you're left to beat the last two Gyms so that you can reach the League. Without any plot behind it.
    The characters were great. I liked Cheren's development. As for Bianca, it was kinda... ehh. I felt honestly bad about having to break her dreams myself since the game doesn't give you any other options, and I felt so bad when N said she learned the sad truth that not everyone can be strong. But after that, she just gets dropped and acts as a random bodyguard to people. I didn't like that. As for N, the only thing I will say is that I lost many man-points crying over his backstory. I'm ashamed of it, yes.
    The music was awesome. Some of my favorite tracks are The Dreamyard, Undella Town (Autumn/Spring/Winter), N's Room, and holy noodles Unwavering Emotions was amazing. The last one too was one of the causes for my huge loss of masculinity points. Pokémon is serious biz.

Anyway, now that I'm done fanboying over the various aspects of the game, I can say that personally I felt this was the absolute peak of Pokémon games. Every little detail was on point. It was a very polished game.
    When the dudes over at Game Freak get something wrong, they get it wrong. But when they get it right, they absolutely knock it out of the park.

Just want to say I agree with almost everything here. B/W were near-perfect games, and the combining of the E4/final Plasma showdown is the high point of the entire franchise.

Last edited:

Shiro

Dad! Or should I say... Big cheese of Hoshido?
    Years
    Let's see...
    I love Trubbish!
    I think B/W were amazing games and loved the new Pokemon in them.
    I... wasn't overly fond of XY and AS is the only Pokemon game I've never finished despite getting it back in December. I usually finish them within a month and it's been over 6 months with this one so...

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
    Years
    Maybe it's time to reveal what I have to say...

- The manga is highly overrated, it's like if the others claim that Pokemon world as the true one.

- I like using Lickilicky in battles. People just ignore this Pokemon in general.

- I don't like Pokemon Conquest, it's too confusing for me.

Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2020
    I love the idea of a more mature Pokemon anime. Not an R-rated "darker&edgier" thing, but a show that is ostensibly for kids but is intelligently written, addresses important themes, has shades of grey. Think A:TLA, Harry Potter, Doctor Who, that sort of thing. With such a vibrant world to explore, such a show could genuinely be amazing. A shame, they're probably content to churn out crap, sell toys and make money with no effort.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    Threads like this are always a bad idea, especially on Pokemon forums. Nine times out of ten, people feel obligated to tell you your unpopular opinions are wrong. But I digress...

Black/White were the worst games of the main series.
    Charizard and Lucario are well-designed, useful and versatile Pokemon.
    Fennekin and Treecko are the most lackluster starters by default.
    No Pokemon "deserves/doesn't deserve" more attention than another. They're all just fictional creatures, there's no need to take any aspects of them to heart.

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
    Years
    I loved Gen V and I enjoyed the anime
    Gen 1 is not the best gen
    Vanilluxe is not bad at all, it was my gen V dragon salyer, it's cute, and it was designed by an Amercian
    Trubbish is cute
    I don't use Hydro Pump or fire blast because of low accuracy

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
    - pokemon like trubbish and vanilite aren't badly designed pokemon and aren't worthy of the hate they receive
    - hoenn does have too much water and people who are like "ahehaoehoaeohaoheao 7.8/10 TOO MUCH WATER" are extremely annoying and need to get lives
    - fairy should have a third weakness and not just steel and posion
    - there should be more mega pokemon than what they've already done
    - gen 5 should have had cross-gen evolutions
    - gen 6 should have had more cross-gen evolutions other than sylveon (and megas if you count them)

Last edited:

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
    Iris was a terrible choice for B2/W2 champion. It should have been Drayden (Possibly one of the coolest Gym Leaders ever) or Marshal. (Having a 'student surpasses the Master' story with Alder.) or maybe even Cheren.

I like Shiny Garchomp and Shiny Mega Garchomp.

Gen 1 had more lazy uninspired designs (Voltorb line, Grimer line, Bellsprout) than Gen 5.

I am not a fan of character shipping. Particularly when the characters are not even in their teams.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    90% of my opinions of the anime.

also lmao at whoever things wanting a more mature anime is unpopular opinion. I think that's more popular than people who like it how it is rn.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    Unova was a terrible region, ESPECIALLY in BW1.
    The music in BW/BW2 was the worst.
    I'm glad mega lucario is outclassed.
    Swampert is overrated.
    Hoenn is that badly designed.
    Firered/leafgreen weren't as enjoyable to play as the originals.

Back