• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pre-Evolutions, Final Evolutions & Previous Pokémon [ #5 ]

Should GameFreak have kept other generation Pokémon in the game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Espeonrules

~Pokemon Fan-Girl~
Years
  • I feel that by NOT including Pokemon from previous generations, B/W achieved the goal of being a completely new game. I mean, the whole idea of B/W was the rebirth of a new generation. I love the fresh feeling I get from B/W.

It's really a shame that so many of the new Pokemon are getting so much hate because of not being an evolution of a previous generation Pokemon. If you just look at these Pokemon individually, without comparing them to others, they really arn't that bad. Of course, there are some Pokemon that could have used more work, but honestly, every generation has those.

As for getting more evolutions, I think that we have too many as it is. With D/P/Pt, we got a ton more evolutions to old Pokemon, and I liked that. But now, adding more evolutions would just be a bit much. Plus the fact that it would ruin the whole new feeling.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • GameFreak should've made evos/pre-evos to some of the older gen Pokemon, such as Luvdisc, when Mamanbou was revealed.

It just doesn't feel the same not having the old Pokemon around (like Zubat, Geodude, etc.). I did like it when we got replacements for them, though (Koromori, Dangoro, etc.).

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I voted for pre/evos.

Mamanbou... just... okay, if it wasn't pink and heart shaped, I wouldn't have cared. A sunfish pokemon is an awesome idea. But come on, folks. They were asking for all this flack. Even buffalafro is fine as it's own Pokemon (bull =/= buffalo), but Mamanbou...

They way they did things, certain Pokemon should have gotten additions to their evolution chains.
    Had they not inserted Pokemon like Mamanbou, it would have been a non-issue.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I voted for pre/evos.

Mamanbou... just... okay, if it wasn't pink and heart shaped, I wouldn't have cared. A sunfish pokemon is an awesome idea. But come on, folks. They were asking for all this flack. Even buffalafro is fine as it's own Pokemon (bull =/= buffalo), but Mamanbou...

They way they did things, certain Pokemon should have gotten additions to their evolution chains.
    Had they not inserted Pokemon like Mamanbou, it would have been a non-issue.
    Same here...I just can't see Mamanbou as having no relation to Luvdisc...

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Starting a new generation with all new Pokémon available except for those found in the past generations was never the issue for me. I can play a game that feels entirely new and still enjoy it. Besides, it gives me the chance to stop depending on the Pokémon I've used multiple times before when given the opportunity.

When the fourth generation came rolling in, there were some new pre-evolutions and evolutions that caught me on edge, but as I saw them more, I eventaully came to terms with them. Now, I find that GameFreak did a fine job with the new (pre)evolutions they put in. Very many of them becoming quite popular amongst the fans.

It's the fact they decided to replica the past generation so much, specifically Kanto's Pokémon, that it upset this generation the most. Like Yamikarasu said, when you look at some of these new Pokémon you feel as though you know it should connect with previous Pokémon in some relation; be it evolution or new form. So, if they were going for a new start, they could have done it through a variety of ways. As for the Pokémon, they shouldn't have made them so disconnected, yet at the same time so similar.

I voted "They should have had made some pre and final evos for previous Pokémon."

otakulily

Pokemon is okay, I guess.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    Actually, I think every new gen should be like this. It would be the easiest way to keep the series alive. Once we 1000 Pokemon, nobody would be able to keep up with both the new guys and the old guys. They're definitely planning ahead. If the series really does plan for a few more generations of new Pokemon, the newer games probably won't even be able to hold all the old Pokemon in it.

Years
  • Once you have obtained the National Dex, older generation pokemon start showing up in different areas.
    So how it is set up is pretty cool. New pokemon until the national dex and a variety afterwards.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I think that they should have had at least a few Pokémon be evos/preevos. At the very least, Mamabou and the afro bull whose name I can't remember and don't wanna look up.

Bay

Years
  • *tries to post at B/W again after lurking for a while*

Haven't played the games yet, but I think it's neat we don't get the previous Pokemon until after the main plot is done with. Gives me the chance to try out all of the new Pokemon. When I played Sapphire or Diamond, I tend to have maybe one or two past gen Pokemon in my team, so I'm not able to play around with the new Pokemon.

PsychoJigglypuff

Crazy and Loving It!
    Years
  • I'm just fine with no previous gen Pokemon, especially since they are very abundant post-E4. Practically the only thing you run into.

Also, I am one of the few people who don't care about prevos or evos. Not every Pokemon needs one, even if the Pokemon's stats aren't that great. It's not the stats that count, it's how you use it. =w= )b

...Mamanbou and Buffaron are totally original. *shifty eyes*

Years
  • I actually loved how they didn't include the previous generation Pokémon until the story was finished. It makes it feel more of a new generation.

Garringman

Erupting Nightmare
    Years
  • I wish they had added a few evolutions in Black and White and just kept them in the end of the Isshu dex after beating the main story like they did in Platinum. I was really hoping to see certain evolutions like Farfetch'd, Dunsparce, and even though its kind of unnecessary I'd love to see what they would do for Absol and of course at least 1 eeveelution.

Bay

Years
  • I'm just fine with no previous gen Pokemon, especially since they are very abundant post-E4. Practically the only thing you run into.

Also, I am one of the few people who don't care about prevos or evos. Not every Pokemon needs one, even if the Pokemon's stats aren't that great. It's not the stats that count, it's how you use it. =w= )b

...Mamanbou and Buffaron are totally original. *shifty eyes*

Agree with you on the how you use the Pokemon part. Many Pokemon that people wouldn't use on their team I use a lot and it seems to go along fine because I come up with different ways to use my Pokemon.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • While the Dex wasn't as varied as it could've been, I appreciated the fresh start. On the third version, however, I wouldn't be opposed to an expansion of the regional Dex.

candracar272

That person
    Years
  • Personally, I like the idea of the "fresh start", considering Isshu is supposed to be overseas. How would a 1-4 Gen get to Isshu without human interaction? Sortof like animals in our world-- which is why I still don't get why turkeys (native to the Americas) are frequently associated with Medieval Europe.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    For myself I would say I'm liking the "fresh start". Not everyone liked the idea of seeing the old generation Pokémon over and over, especially the swarms such as Zubat and Geodude. Now with this, it's going to be nice having to see more of the Black and White Pokémon than the others, this gives us a chance to get a view on all. Besides that, after the National Pokédex we'll be able to obtain the other generation Pokémon from the PokéShifter and begin seeing them in different parts of Isshu from then on so that's also a plus.

So my vote goes to how it's fine the way it is now, with the fresh start and all.

As for pre-evolutions, final evolutions and the group among all that, it would have been nice to see what they could include from that. Mamanbou really deserved to be the evolution for Luvdisc, but seeing as GameFreak most likely tried to base some of the Pokémon off of the others to have some relations from the other gen Pokémon, I guess that would be the exception. :(

xMiZx

Lazy Battler
    Years
  • I like the idea of the 5th Gen having a "fresh start." Granted it would have been nice for a few new evolutions from the previous gen, but they would have had to connect the rest of the pkmn in the game. More pkmn the merrier, but if it was in a completely foreign region, it would be weird.

Also, I believe they might build on the Isshu region. Seems that way.

Back