• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

President Barack Obama Awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023

O RLY?
    However, I don't think that is enough for him to earn a peace prize.
    Amachi, you expect higher the human species. That is your problem, even though you complain despite it not being important(from what you, yourself said.)
    Stopping interrogation is retarded. The intelligence that the CIA gathered using interrogation techniques helped prevent attacks and saved lives, and Obama is putting a stop to that. Furthermore, he's releasing these men back into society, further placing us all in danger. See this.
    One of the three Swedish nationals arrested nearly two weeks ago in Pakistan is Mehdi Ghezali, a former terror suspect who was released from the United States' Guantánamo Bay prison in 2004.

Also, the link you posted just demonstrates that he was considered because he is not George W. Bush.

The Nobel Peace Prize is a joke, especially now. I just find this event relevant to my interests, that's all :)
    I would just like to say I agree with Scarf completely.

The committee wanted to encourage Barack Obama to complete his goals, and give him an award that would help him do so. He may or may not complete them, but the point is that his ideas are generally peaceful ones. The Nobel Prize committee wanted to encourage those ideas, especially in America where we've had a warmonger for a president the last eight years.

If you like, you can think of it as rewarding his ideas and not the man. At least, that's how I see it.

Yeah, exactly. I think your second metaphor fits the Nobel Prize committee's logic best though.

Wow, you're funny. Haven't heard that one before.
    It had been 12 days. First off, they're supposed to be judged off what they had done in the previous year, and for Hussein Obama all he was doing was making campaign promises. Since when did people even trust politicians?

And yet there were people who had actually done something as opposed to making charismatic speeches, and they didn't win? Is that what peace is about, just sitting back and saying "lets be friends"?

Why does Hussein Obama need the prize as motivation? Why does he need the support? Everyone should strive towards peace naturally, and he's the president of the United States. I'm sure working towards peace is pretty much expected of someone of that position.

Regardless of whether or not they wanted to motivate him, that's not how the award works. Nobel's will (emphasis added)
    Nobel said:
    during the preceding year [...] shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.

Considering the frenzy surrounding him and the hope he has inspired (though personally, he puts me into despair), I think what I said was quite accurate.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Why does Hussein Obama need the prize as motivation?
    Hold up. Why, exactly, are you calling him that? Did people, over the past eight years, randomly start calling our former President "Walker Bush?" What possible reason could you have to call him by his middle name?

I agree that he doesn't really deserve the Nobel Prize. I just don't don't get why people are (and have been) so hung up over his middle name. Big deal, it's similar to some other guy that did some bad stuff. Should we start pointing out every Joseph or Adolph in the world so that they get their share of unnecessary fear directed toward them?

Years
    Hold up. Why, exactly, are you calling him that? Did people, over the past eight years, randomly start calling our former President "Walker Bush?" What possible reason could you have to call him by his middle name?

I agree that he doesn't really deserve the Nobel Prize. I just don't don't get why people are (and have been) so hung up over his middle name. Big deal, it's similar to some other guy that did some bad stuff. Should we start pointing out every Joseph or Adolph in the world so that they get their share of unnecessary fear directed toward them?
    This is a little off-topic, but probably because he was in the moment. Leftists often refer to Governor Bobby Jindal only by his given name at birth -Piyush- or Congressman Joseph Cao by "Anh" to alienate them from their Western culture.

Beatrice

OH DESIRE
    Years
    Yeah, and you still don't award sprinters before they have finished the race.

Your definition of "prize" is just as narrow as mine, if not more narrow. Even if we were to just run by your definition, what reason do they have to give him the award?

You invest in a start-up company expecting profit in return, but you don't do it without blindly (unless you're a gambler). You water your garden because it's common knowledge that doing so will probably help the plants grow better.

But why place bets on him when all he has done is conduct a few speeches, betray allies, and bow to the king of Saudi Arabia?

Heck, why was he nominated in the first place? Nominations closed 12 days after he was elected, and all he had back then were promises. The nomination should have been completely disregarded.

Oh wait, he's the messiah, I forgot.

Amachi, I don't know what your Republican Aussie propaganda is telling you, but I think you need to look from a different perspective than that little venue of knowledge you're hearing (or want to hear for that matter). In the big scheme of things, what you hear is how Obama's decisions affect your country. Does Australia have good ties with Saudi Arabia? Probably not? Well I wonder why you hear such negative things about Obama actually deciding to talk with them. You don't live in America. You can't say how Americans should think when you haven't experienced. No one calls him the messiah. Hell, especially after what's going on with this medicare bill he proposed. It's wrong for you to try and give a logical statement with the amount of bias and inexperience you have.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    It's interesting, though. because if you think about it, the Nobel foundation starts considering nominees for its prizes in early February.

Considering the fact that Obama only became president in late January, he only had 2-3 weeks to actually do something worthy of the Nobel prize.

...which he really didn't. He didn't magically pull world peace out of his ass, he most definitely didn't get us to recover from the recession in such a short period of time, nor did he start doing any sort of crazy crap. Yet the Nobel foundation went all like "HEY GUYS OBAMA NEEDS 2 WIN THIS K?"

My conclusion? This year's Nobel peace prize = a Swedish cry for attention.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2016

Yeah, they didn't call Bush "Walker Bush."
    They called him Hitler. Seriously, if you want to make a big deal about someone being called by his own NAME... well...

Considering the fact that Obama only became president in late January, he only had 2-3 weeks to actually do something worthy of the Nobel prize.

That is so true, especially considering he hasn't done anything for peace so far in his entire presidency.

Yeah, and you can't get me to believe that is a non-partisan, nonbiased, non State-Run media outlet. ^__^ (I don't care what wikipedia says.)

Years
    It's interesting, though. because if you think about it, the Nobel foundation starts considering nominees for its prizes in early February.

...which he really didn't. He didn't magically pull world peace out of his ass, he most definitely didn't get us to recover from the recession in such a short period of time, nor did he start doing any sort of crazy crap. Yet the Nobel foundation went all like "HEY GUYS OBAMA NEEDS 2 WIN THIS K?"

My conclusion? This year's Nobel peace prize = a Swedish cry for attention.
    Actually, it's a Norwegian cry for attention ^^;

Dawg 2005

The original Dawg 2005
    Years
    Obama doesn't deserve the Nobel Peace Prize. Sure, he's a black president, but that's no reason to give him the NPP. I personally believe that we should've waited at least 3 years to see if he truly deserves it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Because it's his actual name, one that was sort of concealed during his campaign, yet when he talks to Islamic countries, he proudly tells everyone there.

Oh, and the name reminds me of his constant appeasement towards the people in these countries when they've made it pretty clear that they don't care about him or his peace. See: Pakistan, where even after millions of dollars in aid, the people there still don't like America (and the government is two-timing with us and the Taliban).
    Amachi, I don't know what your Republican Aussie propaganda is telling you, but I think you need to look from a different perspective than that little venue of knowledge you're hearing (or want to hear for that matter). In the big scheme of things, what you hear is how Obama's decisions affect your country. Does Australia have good ties with Saudi Arabia? Probably not? Well I wonder why you hear such negative things about Obama actually deciding to talk with them. You don't live in America. You can't say how Americans should think when you haven't experienced. No one calls him the messiah. Hell, especially after what's going on with this medicare bill he proposed. It's wrong for you to try and give a logical statement with the amount of bias and inexperience you have.
    Republican? What are you talking about? That's an American term, not an Australian one, and using it just shows how biased you are. In addition, you just implied that the Australian media doesn't love Obama -- oh wait, you just implied that I even watch or read any of it in any significant amounts, which I don't.

Why do I have to be American to discuss American (and even global) politics? How much of your post is even on topic?

Wait, none of your post is. You're just attacking me instead of countering the points I've made. Typical :)

Beatrice

OH DESIRE
    Years
    Because it's his actual name, one that was sort of concealed during his campaign, yet when he talks to Islamic countries, he proudly tells everyone there.

Oh, and the name reminds me of his constant appeasement towards the people in these countries when they've made it pretty clear that they don't care about him or his peace. See: Pakistan, where even after millions of dollars in aid, the people there still don't like America (and the government is two-timing with us and the Taliban).

Republican? What are you talking about? That's an American term, not an Australian one, and using it just shows how biased you are. In addition, you just implied that the Australian media doesn't love Obama -- oh wait, you just implied that I even watch or read any of it in any significant amounts, which I don't.

Why do I have to be American to discuss American (and even global) politics? How much of your post is even on topic?

Wait, none of your post is. You're just attacking me instead of countering the points I've made. Typical :)

If you don't watch media, how in the world are you making ANY logical evidence? Or maybe, you don't watch the media because they do like Obama?

I'm attacking your argument because you are attacking other's arguments with your bias and fallacies. It's unfair. And your points are so far off, they're invalid and therefore need no recognition. Like you thinking we think Obama is the messiah; let's not make generalizations.

Give me some actually sources at least instead of your brain if you don't listen to the media.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    If you don't watch media, how in the world are you making ANY logical evidence? Or maybe, you don't watch the media because they do like Obama?

I'm attacking your argument because you are attacking other's arguments with your bias and fallacies. It's unfair. And your points are so far off, they're invalid and therefore need no recognition. Like you thinking we think Obama is the messiah; let's not make generalizations.

Give me some actually sources at least instead of your brain if you don't listen to the media.
    I said Australian media - of course I look at the news. My tendency to avoid the Australian media has nothing to do with their like/dislike for Obama though - I just don't do it, that's all. It is inconvenient.

No, you were attacking me, not my arguments, which apparently are "invalid" - how? If you were to attack my arguments, wouldn't that require countering them in some way? idk.

A definition of messiah is "any expected deliverer". I think it's a fair generalisation since many are arguing that Obama received the Nobel Peace Prize as a motivating gift because they expect him to succeed in his peace efforts. Plus the whole hope and change thing. SURE SOUNDS LIKE A "MESSIAH" TO ME.

You can't even read my post, lol. But sources on what? Pakistan?

Billions of U.S. aid to Pakistan diverted, India concerned
    Only a fraction of the $6.6 billion in U.S. aid sent to Pakistan between 2002 and 2008, meant for the war on terror, has actually reached Pakistan's military, and it has India worried about how the money may have been spent.
    U.S., Pakistan at odds over extremists who target U.S. troops
    Despite growing U.S. military losses in Afghanistan , Pakistan still refuses to target the extremist groups on its soil that are the biggest threat to the American-led mission there, the U.S. ambassador to Pakistan told McClatchy .

I'd provide sources about Obama and the Nobel Peace Prize but he hasn't done anything. Are there any sources that you need me to provide on the topic of Obama's Nobel Peace Prize? At least this way we can be on topic.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years

This is a little off-topic, but probably because he was in the moment. Leftists often refer to Governor Bobby Jindal only by his given name at birth -Piyush- or Congressman Joseph Cao by "Anh" to alienate them from their Western culture.
    That's stupid, but it doesn't make calling him "Hussein Obama" any less stupid, either.

Yeah, they didn't call Bush "Walker Bush."
    They called him Hitler. Seriously, if you want to make a big deal about someone being called by his own NAME... well...
    So because a bunch of leftist radicals were jerkwads, we should all just start referring to people by whatever names we want? Sounds a bit disrespectful.

Issues of tact aside, I don't think he really concealed it during his campaign. It was a huge issue that the rightist radicals brought up many times in hopes of creating enough FUD for people to not vote for him. The thing is that most of us didn't care because... get this... a name is a name is a name is a name. :/

Republican? What are you talking about? That's an American term, not an Australian one, and using it just shows how biased you are.
    Eh, arguing semantics is boring and pointless. I'm pretty sure that what s/he meant was rightist, conservative, authoritarian, or some variation thereof. Either way, it's still a meaningless label, since only radical idiots will agree with every decision made by any group of people.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Issues of tact aside, I don't think he really concealed it during his campaign. It was a huge issue that the rightist radicals brought up many times in hopes of creating enough FUD for people to not vote for him. The thing is that most of us didn't care because... get this... a name is a name is a name is a name. :/

A man was placed under federal investigation because he said Obama's full name at a McCain-Palin rally :/

Eh, arguing semantics is boring and pointless. I'm pretty sure that what s/he meant was rightist, conservative, authoritarian, or some variation thereof. Either way, it's still a meaningless label, since only radical idiots will agree with every decision made by any group of people.
    I find arguing semantics fun :3

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Stopping interrogation is retarded. The intelligence that the CIA gathered using interrogation techniques helped prevent attacks and saved lives, and Obama is putting a stop to that. Furthermore, he's releasing these men back into society, further placing us all in danger. See this.

I would actually like to see citations of your negative(prevented attacks), but I'm sure that you know what is wrong in that statement. F.Y.I, most people here care about their rights(no cruel and unusual punishment) more than other countries do, despite them being infringed upon countless times.
    Also, the link you posted just demonstrates that he was considered because he is not George W. Bush.
    I won't argue with that. A large portion of this is probably because we compared him to Bush, and that makes him seem like the second coming in comparison.
    The Nobel Peace Prize is a joke, especially now. I just find this event relevant to my interests, that's all :)

I see. :\

Actually, it's a Norwegian cry for attention ^^;

This post is fail. How do you know they didn't just do a really stupid move?
    Unless of course, doing retarded things is just a cry for attention.
    Hitler was apparently crying for attention when he killed 6 million people in concentration camps.

Last edited:

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    I don't think he deserves it. Well, at least yet.

All he's done so far is make promises and large speeches but hasn't taken what he's said he'd do into effect yet. Sure, he's a great president and he cares about the people, but he's not doing anything for them except promising them stuff.

In my opinion, anyway.

Symphonic.x.Fantasia

Inactivity is a poison.
    Years
    I don't claim to have read this whole thread, nor do I plan to, but I'm going to voice my opinion on what the title says.

He doesn't deserve it, in my honest opinion. I mean, seriously, he's been president for less than a year. What exactly's he done to merit such a prize? If anything, I think we've gone backwards. Especially because of his ignorance of things.

Not that I really cared for his having been elected anyway.

Years
    This post is fail. How do you know they didn't just do a really stupid move?
    Unless of course, doing retarded things is just a cry for attention.
    Hitler was apparently crying for attention when he killed 6 million people in concentration camps.
    No, you fail for not seeing the context of my post. I was stating that it was the decision of the Norwegian Parliament (or at least the people they appointed) to give this award, not the usual Swedes who award other Nobels.

Beatrice, so far you've only been calling names towards Amachi. And he was stating an opinion, for goodness' sakes, and so far, things like Obama's lack of accomplishments to back up his nomination - which was astoundingly early into his term, when he indeed hasn't done anything -, and the view expressed by his supporters that he will save the world from the Hitlerian developments of the Bush era are all true. I would counterpoint some of your arguments, but there are none to begin with.

Last edited:
    Back