• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

President Barack Obama Awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Lolz, well, he says he'll do a lot of good stuff, but he should spend more time doing, and less time talking. But he deserves it. I can tell he'll make a good president once he gets up and going. xD

Bay

Years

Beatrice, so far you've only been calling names towards Amachi. And he was stating an opinion, for goodness' sakes, and so far, things like Obama's lack of accomplishments to back up his nomination - which was astoundingly early into his term, when he indeed hasn't done anything -, and the view expressed by his supporters that he will save the world from the Hitlerian developments of the Bush era are all true. I would counterpoint some of your arguments, but there are none to begin with.
    Sorry for being off topic, but your comment about Bush irks me. I'm not a fan of Bush either, but I don't think his policies and such are "Hitlerian," at least in my opinion. It's basically he doesn't have the best administration in the world and he's too hot heated. I understand many people hated Bush and all, but yeah saying that is stretching too far, even if there are others that agree with you on that.

Because I didn't have time to read the committee reasons for Obama's nomination till now, I'll respond real quick. :P Guess I'm right on that BBC reporter's analysis that it's for encouragement. XD In all seriousness though, I too think it's a good reason and I admire Obama for trying to get rid of the nuclear weapons and such. However, part of me still feel Obama might fall short if he doesn't get through this for whatever reason. Yeah, at least next year we'll know how his progress will go. Encouragement is good and all, but Obama can have that from another source instead of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Years
    Sorry for being off topic, but your comment about Bush irks me. I'm not a fan of Bush either, but I don't think his policies and such are "Hitlerian," at least in my opinion. It's basically he doesn't have the best administration in the world and he's too hot heated. I understand many people hated Bush and all, but yeah saying that is stretching too far, even if there are others that agree with you on that.

Because I didn't have time to read the committee reasons for Obama's nomination till now, I'll respond real quick. :P Guess I'm right on that BBC reporter's analysis that it's for encouragement. XD In all seriousness though, I too think it's a good reason and I admire Obama for trying to get rid of the nuclear weapons and such. However, part of me still feel Obama might fall short if he doesn't get through this for whatever reason. Yeah, at least next year we'll know how his progress will go. Encouragement is good and all, but Obama can have that from another source instead of the Nobel Peace Prize.
    Sorry, I should have put that "Hitlerian" part in quotations or italics, since I wasn't really serious in that comparison :P I...actually am fairly conservative (to give you a general idea) and don't hate the Bush administration that much; in fact, I rather like the man. I do believe he did what was necessary at the time to unite the country in a protected environment, and those who does think that he is Hitler needs to rethink their standards.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    If you don't watch media, how in the world are you making ANY logical evidence? Or maybe, you don't watch the media because they do like Obama?

I'm attacking your argument because you are attacking other's arguments with your bias and fallacies. It's unfair. And your points are so far off, they're invalid and therefore need no recognition. Like you thinking we think Obama is the messiah; let's not make generalizations.

Give me some actually sources at least instead of your brain if you don't listen to the media.

Haha, and you actually believe every word the media says? All they do is lie and lie and lie. I've been there and seen it with my own eyes, bud. They don't care about anyone or anything. They care about money. If a story gives them money, they'll do whatever it takes to get it. Simple.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2016
    Sure, he's a great president and he cares about the people, but he's not doing anything for them except promising them stuff.
    He isn't a great president. He wasn't one 12 days in, he isn't one now, and unless he goes through a major overhaul in the way he thinks and the way his cronies think, he will never be.

Unless you talk to an Obama-ite.

Haha, and you actually believe every word the media says? All they do is lie and lie and lie.

Exactly. It's "state-run." Unless you count some independent places like Drudge Report, Breitbart, Politico (to some extent), the CNNs and MSNBCs of America and the Earth are deceiving you.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    He isn't a great president. He wasn't one 12 days in, he isn't one now, and unless he goes through a major overhaul in the way he thinks and the way his cronies think, he will never be.

Unless you talk to an Obama-ite.

Until his methods just might have a chance of saving your ass, not that I agree with everything that comes out of his mouth. Hasty assumptions are fail.
    Do you even know what his methods are?
    Well, the methods that don't include death panels of course.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years

If I recall correctly, he's done a lot of good things. But then he's also done a lot of bad things.

It's really down to personal opinon whether he's good or bad.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2016

Hasty assumptions are fail.

*points at hasty nobel peace prize nomination*

also yes I do know what his methods are, and the phrase "death panels" is a term that just ...describes (in a not necessarily correct way) the end-of-life treatment that was in the universal (wait, what'd he call it?) single-payer (no...) "public option" healthcare plan. :3

Years
    also yes I do know what his methods are, and the phrase "death panels" is a term that just ...describes (in a not necessarily correct way) the end-of-life treatment that was in the universal (wait, what'd he call it?) single-payer (no...) "public option" healthcare plan. :3
    Or, in other words, for describing the health care plan the term "death panels" is incorrect, inaccurate, erroneous, completely off the mark, and even wrong.

And all this 12 days talk is nonsense. In addition to President Obama, Senator Obama also pushed for nuclear disarmament and peaceful dialogue. I think you'll find that he'd been doing that for more than 12 days.

.Fenris

Just a bystander, don't shoot!
    Years
    Judging by the amount of idiotic antics by both politcial parties, there's probably going to be a second civil war soon.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I do not like Barack Obama. I say he didn't do anything to get the Nobel Peace Prize.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2016
    Or, in other words, for describing the health care plan the term "death panels" is incorrect, inaccurate, erroneous, completely off the mark, and even wrong.

And all this 12 days talk is nonsense. In addition to President Obama, Senator Obama also pushed for nuclear disarmament and peaceful dialogue. I think you'll find that he'd been doing that for more than 12 days.

It doesn't describe the health care plan, merely a section WHICH HAS SINCE BEEN REMOVED AFTER THE FALLOUT that detailed an "end-of-life" treatment option. So incorrect? Maybe. Wrong why? Was calling Bush "Hitler" wrong? Was Obama's Reverend "wrong?" ...

Also by "peaceful dialogue," do you perhaps refer to appeasement?

Years
    It doesn't describe the health care plan, merely a section WHICH HAS SINCE BEEN REMOVED AFTER THE FALLOUT that detailed an "end-of-life" treatment option. So incorrect? Maybe. Wrong why? Was calling Bush "Hitler" wrong? Was Obama's Reverend "wrong?" ...

Also by "peaceful dialogue," do you perhaps refer to appeasement?
    Yes, it is wrong to use the term "death panels" in either sense of the word. It is simply inaccurate because it heavily implies bureaucrats or some other group of non-concerned people are making decisions about a person's death when the plan called for the person concerned and their doctor to talk about what medical options they had including ways in which a potential suffering person could choose not to prolong their life. It is also wrong (should not be done) because it is misleading and derails the political process by turning what could have been debate about the merits of such a system into a long argument of semantics, or in other words, name calling.

When I say dialogue I mean dialogue. Diplomacy. Negotiation. Appeasement originally meant negotiating to avoid conflict, but people usually think of it as meaning a shortsighted coward giving into someone's demands in exchange for a tenuous promise not to be attacked. I see nothing bad in talking with people, but Obama is no Chamberlain. Talk can solve some international problems if one is honestly willing to pursue it. Just because one attempt at a peaceful solution ultimately failed does not mean that other attempts will inevitably fail or that some good cannot still come out of an attempt that is not 100% successful.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023

No, you fail for not seeing the context of my post. I was stating that it was the decision of the Norwegian Parliament (or at least the people they appointed) to give this award, not the usual Swedes who award other Nobels.

I know that you have more than 2 brain cells to rub together, so please do so and reread my post and why I said such things about it. Kthnxbai ♥
    I never disagreed with you on which country nominated the people.

FYI, what leads you to assume the only reason that they nominated Obama was because he was liberal? It doesn't matter how conservative someone is, just as long as they do acts of peace. Jody Williams would still receive the peace prize for banning land mines, no matter which political side she was on.

Last edited:
    Years

I know that you have more than 2 brain cells to rub together, so please do so and reread my post and why I said such things about it. Kthnxbai ♥
    I never disagreed with you on which country nominated the people.

FYI, what leads you to assume the only reason that they nominated Obama was because he was liberal? It doesn't matter how conservative someone is, just as long as they do acts of peace. Jody Williams would still receive the peace prize for banning land mines, no matter which political side she was on.

And could you please read the post I have quoted before attempting a direct attack at my intelligence? Thank you.

Obama was nominated prior to having done anything. He has only spoken of promoting peace in his campaign, but had nothing to show for it up until then. If this warranted a Nobel Peace Prize nomination, then thousands upon thousands of independent political candidates around the world deserve the same recognition. Obama just happened to be from a very notable country. And I know that several decisions have been non-partisan...this isn't one of them.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023

And could you please read the post I have quoted before attempting a direct attack at my intelligence? Thank you.

Obama was nominated prior to having done anything. He has only spoken of promoting peace in his campaign, but had nothing to show for it up until then. If this warranted a Nobel Peace Prize nomination, then thousands upon thousands of independent political candidates around the world deserve the same recognition. Obama just happened to be from a very notable country. And I know that several decisions have been non-partisan...this isn't one of them.

And you still don't get what I am saying. Stupid moves=/=screams for attention, not "the Norwegians didn't nominate Obama"

I said it before and I'll say it again, please cite your negative. I would like to see you show me how Obama didn't do anything at all. You are making faulty assumptions.

Jesus oƒ Suburbia

east jesus nowhere?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2015

And you still don't get what I am saying. Stupid moves=/=screams for attention, not "the Norwegians didn't nominate Obama"

I said it before and I'll say it again, please cite your negative. I would like to see you show me how Obama didn't do anything at all. You are making faulty assumptions.

Even though I strongly disagree that Obama doesn't deserve the prize, concluding that he hasn't done anything at all is really vague and naive of you.

https://themiddleofnowhere.blogspot.com/2009/03/what-obama-has-done-so-far.html

There's your proof.

Years

In any case, you're missing the point of the post >.> I wasn't actually agreeing with the statement, but restating it with the correct fact.

Even though I strongly disagree that Obama doesn't deserve the prize, concluding that he hasn't done anything at all is really vague and naive of you.

https://themiddleofnowhere.blogspot.com/2009/03/what-obama-has-done-so-far.html

There's your proof.
    And did he complete any of those things (that didn't require a simple statement of mouth) within the twelve days of his taking office (no listed dates)? And even so, many of the plans stated has failed, such as closing Guantanamo Bay and reaching out to Iran, who is angrier than ever.
    The key point is that he was rushed to the nomination; I probably wouldn't object to it if he was nominated, or even won the prize the year following. However, he did not achieve the accomplishments most often stated prior to the nomination, hence my skepticism.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023

In any case, you're missing the point of the post >.> I wasn't actually agreeing with the statement, but restating it with the correct fact.

And did he complete any of those things (that didn't require a simple statement of mouth) within the twelve days of his taking office (no listed dates)? And even so, many of the plans stated has failed, such as closing Guantanamo Bay and reaching out to Iran, who is angrier than ever.
    The key point is that he was rushed to the nomination; I probably wouldn't object to it if he was nominated, or even won the prize the year following. However, he did not achieve the accomplishments most often stated prior to the nomination, hence my skepticism.

I'll just quote Scarf for this.

Years
    And I'll make the case that Senator Richard Lugar deserves far more credit than Obama ever did for de-proliferation of nuclear weapons; he wrote the bill Obama was credited with co-sponsoring.

Back