• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Primal Reversion Discussion & Speculation Thread

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I like these ideas because if what we've seen on the boxart is all there is to these 'never before seen Pokemon', then I really hope they're not Mega Evolutions because they really do not look the part. But I'm pretty sure that assertion is quite premature, we could only be seeing part of a bigger picture.

Remember the days when we could actually have a vague idea on what the heck Nintendo was selling us...? Those were the days when speculation was something Pokémon fans thought was a sure thing.

Mega Evolutions should look somewhat like a Pokémon with makeup. They shouldn't really look all imposing, but no old features of the Pokémon should be changed. Perhaps if they grew a few longer horns and a crown, people would think they're mega evos. But because of all the weird patterns... well, nobody knows whether they're simply stylised art or new formes.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
    Remember the days when we could actually have a vague idea on what the heck Nintendo was selling us...? Those were the days when speculation was something Pokémon fans thought was a sure thing.

Mega Evolutions should look somewhat like a Pokémon with makeup. They shouldn't really look all imposing, but no old features of the Pokémon should be changed. Perhaps if they grew a few longer horns and a crown, people would think they're mega evos. But because of all the weird patterns... well, nobody knows whether they're simply stylised art or new formes.

I think we can say we know it's not just stylized art, the problem is that that's all we know. Well, it's not as a much a problem as it is a conundrum.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    I was looking at Kyogre's page in Bulbapedia and remembered about this guy: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Palace_Maven_Spenser

In the games we never really found out what his connection to Kyogre was. Perhaps they could increase his role and make him involved in the conflict at Sootopolis. Maybe he could know the secret behind these new forms.

Hmmm... That could be interesting but the last we saw him, it was in Emerald and nothing else. We only see him once and that is when we battle him I'm afraid.

But looking at it, it does seem viable that Spenser could have something to do with Kyogre perhaps :)

Years
    Spenser's staff seems to resemble the markings found on Kyogre, which could mean some sort of connection come ORAS. Doesn't reveal too much about whether or not the artwork portrays a mega form of the duo, or an alternate form, but it is intriguing.

Years
    I cant see any other time for the opportunity to give them their own legendary individual signature moves like Yvetel and Xerneas have. After Gen 3, Fissure became common and Water Spout was distributed.

I think Groudon Omega needs a movie similar to land's wrath. Like "Terraform" or something and Kyogre Alpha get something like "Seismic Wave" or "Tsunami" or "High-Tide" or something. Something that refines their tier as legendaries.

Groudon could also use a retyping to at least counter Kyogre. His gimmick used to be instant Solarbeam but thats pretty thin. Its an amateur's reliance.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Something I was thinking about with the boxart for ORAS that's prompted speculation on new forms for Kyogre/Groudon.....take a look at these:
    Primal Reversion Discussion & Speculation Thread
    Primal Reversion Discussion & Speculation Thread

Whatcha all think of that? Those are the press start screens from the original Ruby/Sapphire, if you remember.

Years
    I think they resemble the original legendary more than the box art does, for sure. The more I look at it though, the more I feel like it could be an alternate forme. Besides some new markings, there isn't much that they changed aesthetically.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    You got to remember that the people of Pokemon Get/Sunday pointed out the change and said "Could it be a Mega." That right there almost says they are mega forms. But I really don't care as long as they are different forms. Would be nice for Rayquaza to play a much bigger role and get a Mega. As long as Sceptile and Swampert get megas, I think I would be happy. Though I would still like a few additional megas.

You also got to remember that megas do not look much different from the originals. Just look at Amphy. all it got was some white, rockstar, hair.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    You got to remember that the people of Pokemon Get/Sunday pointed out the change and said "Could it be a Mega." That right there almost says they are mega forms. But I really don't care as long as they are different forms. Would be nice for Rayquaza to play a much bigger role and get a Mega. As long as Sceptile and Swampert get megas, I think I would be happy. Though I would still like a few additional megas.

You also got to remember that megas do not look much different from the originals. Just look at Amphy. all it got was some white, rockstar, hair.
    Yeah, megas don't look a whole lot different than the normal forms, but they still look more different than Groudon/Kyogre do on the ORAS boxart.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2014
    I believe that there will be new omega and alpha stones that would activate upon a certain move being used such as Fissure. I think this would be cool, think about it, GROUDON USED OMEGA FISSURE!! THE OMEGA STONE IS REACTING TO GROUDONS MOVE!! BRRRRRRRRAAAWWRRRR. ITS A ONE HIT KO!! The opposing Magicarp has fainted.

Years
    Yeah, megas don't look a whole lot different than the normal forms, but they still look more different than Groudon/Kyogre do on the ORAS boxart.

That's exactly what I've been saying. The new marks on Groudon and Kyogre's bodies in the box art don't change much about it at all, and make me think they're more likely to just be alternate forms. The mega with the least alterations was probably Kangaskhan, and that was still an obvious distinction between the mega and the regular form.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    I believe that there will be new omega and alpha stones that would activate upon a certain move being used such as Fissure. I think this would be cool, think about it, GROUDON USED OMEGA FISSURE!! THE OMEGA STONE IS REACTING TO GROUDONS MOVE!! BRRRRRRRRAAAWWRRRR. ITS A ONE HIT KO!! The opposing Magicarp has fainted.
    But Fissure already OHKOs. o:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years

I also remember people saying the Kanto starters Megas barely looked different, specifically MegaVenusaur which only gained a couple of markings, some fresh leaves, and a flower on it's forehead... Which is similar to Kyogre's new markings, dark blue in color, some lighter lines on parts of it's tail fins. Also it appears to be less slimmer in the front compared to normal Kyogre.

I think they should gain abilities that benefit from the weather abilities like Swift swim and Chrolophyll or something like that.

Years
    I also remember people saying the Kanto starters Megas barely looked different, specifically MegaVenusaur which only gained a couple of markings, some fresh leaves, and a flower on it's forehead... Which is similar to Kyogre's new markings, dark blue in color, some lighter lines on parts of it's tail fins. Also it appears to be less slimmer in the front compared to normal Kyogre.

I think they should gain abilities that benefit from the weather abilities like Swift swim and Chrolophyll or something like that.

A good point. Some of the megalutions didn't have many changes, but some of them were vastly different from their regular form. It's a toss-up at this point, at least to me. If the boxart is in fact depicting the mega counterparts of Kyogre and Groudon, I hope Game Freak makes up for the lack of a design change with altering abilities, movesets, etc. like you mentioned.

Years
    Also one should note that some formes and Evolutions are also barely different from what they came from/ changed from. So Mega Evolutions looking similar to the originals shouldn't be that much of a surprise. Also perhaps the reason for the little changes could be so that we can still tell their Groudon and Kyogre. Perhaps it's also a reflection/ foreshadowing of the story within the boxes, that it'll be similar but yet a little different at the same time.

Years
    None of the current Mega evolutions altered their original forms design nearly enough to contemplate if they were a new Pokemon altogether, so I don't think that's an issue Game Freak sought to avoid by minimizing changes to Kyogre and Groudon.

Years
    • Seen today
    None of the current Mega evolutions altered their original forms design nearly enough to contemplate if they were a new Pokemon altogether, so I don't think that's an issue Game Freak sought to avoid by minimizing changes to Kyogre and Groudon.

But, equally, all of the Mega Evolutions are different enough that, if someone saw them, they wouldn't think they were just looking at stylized artwork.

Years
    But, equally, all of the Mega Evolutions are different enough that, if someone saw them, they wouldn't think they were just looking at stylized artwork.
    I'll be honest and say that at first I barely noticed the differences on Mega Blastoise except for the additional cannons hooked to it's arms...than I noticed something about it's ears changed xD.
    Also they may have more differences in the back (Groudon) and in the belly (Kyogre).

Years

That's certainly true. Which is why Kyogre and Groudon's artwork may just be alternate forms. It's hard to tell just off of their new appearance, to be honest. If there were more alterations to their aesthetic design, I think it'd be much easier to identify them as Mega evolutions.

Back