• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Programming Languages...

Archenoth

(cozy)
Years
  • Hey all.

I am a bit curious, but if applicable, what programming languages do you guys know? What are you the best at? And what do you use the most?

This thread is primarily going to be a general discussion thread about programming languages. Find something cool about a specific langauge? Post it! Want to find the best language for what you are doing? Ask here..!

As long as it relates, you can post anything... Obviously stay within the rules of the forum.

I''ll begin by saying that I am currently a software developer who primarily uses "C" for cross-platform programming. (Cross-compiled using MingW32 for Windows, OSX is done natively with GCC)

C is where most of my expertise lies, and I like it's simple nature, but I am moving towards learning LISP due to it's meta and dynamic nature... (For example, it is a functional language by default, but has a library that changes it's paradigm to Object Oriented) I have a Common LISP implementation set up with Emacs (Called SLIME) and I am working my way through this fantastic tutorial/book.

I know plenty of other languages, but I am not as skilled at them as I am at C. The best work I have really done in anything else is that I made a networked version of Battleship using a client/server multi-threaded model in Java.

What about you all? I'm interested in seeing what you use and why.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I've written a couple small programs in python/wxpython, though I don't think I'm good enough to say that I "know" the language.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • Well, knowledge about the language is the easy part most of the time, how a language is structured tends to be pretty simple. The tricky part is the knowledge of libraries and APIs for the language. You will likely never stop learning a language's APIs (Official and external) but if you have some good all-purpose ones under your belt, you can usually do a fair amount without needing to reference documentation.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I spent a semester learning C so I feel somewhat proficient on that. I've also used Python in the past but not extensively, aaand I'm in the midst of learning VBasic in school haha.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • I spent a semester learning C so I feel somewhat proficient on that. I've also used Python in the past but not extensively, aaand I'm in the midst of learning VBasic in school haha.

Cool... C isn't a big language. :)

If you can understand the way it works, the documentation is a wondrous thing to use. It's even cooler it you are on a Linux with the documentation built right in.

School is actually where I learned Java... Four semesters for me, but the most vital information is always in the first one. (Though I knew C before that, so it took some getting used to since the languages are similar in some regards, but have some annoying differences in style.)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Cool... C isn't a big language. :)

If you can understand the way it works, the documentation is a wondrous thing to use. It's even cooler it you are on a Linux with the documentation built right in.

School is actually where I learned Java... Four semesters for me, but the most vital information is always in the first one. (Though I knew C before that, so it took some getting used to since the languages are similar in some regards, but have some annoying differences in style.)

Yeah my major required us to do C on Linux, and then unfortunately we learned to do graphics on XWindow so I did this complex program for my final project and I can't even show it to people without going into Ubuntu on my computer bleh.

Java is something I need to get started on learning for my job. You make Android apps in that, yes?

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • I personally don't use it for Android development... But yes, it is the language that Android uses.

Android has a cool little thing called "Dalvik" which pretty much allows Java Bytecode to run natively on it.

And that's too bad about the X11 program... I use SDL personally due to it's cross platform nature...

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    When I asked my professor he told me to learn some other graphics programming library and rewrite it for that (I forget which one), but I didn't understand how it worked enough to do it so I just gave up haha.

When I learn Java for work it's going to have to be for Android because the goal is to make an Android app hahaha.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • When I asked my professor he told me to learn some other graphics programming library and rewrite it for that (I forget which one), but I didn't understand how it worked enough to do it so I just gave up haha.

When I learn Java for work it's going to have to be for Android because the goal is to make an Android app hahaha.

Well... If you want you can check out the SDL API to see the simplicity of it.
    It's not hard to understand at all...

Also, good luck with your next job... It's a good thing that you are using Java in your current state because it has to be one of the most documented languages I've seen. You should find some concepts difficult, like I did when I started... But the API is nothing short of awesome.

BZW Golem

Conspirator~
    Years
  • I'm still a little nub but I'm learning C++ and Java :3

Everything started 1,5 year ago from a blue screen and "%*@&*!, I'm installing Linux!".
    Then, also because of an impulse, I signed up to some C++ classes.. and now I also have Java at school.

Now I really like programming, I hope to expand my knowledge as much as possible :3

Magdalena~

Feel the hnnnnggg
    Years
  • I'm pretty good at TI-Basic, which is more or less the easiest thing in the world. xD
    I'm also not terrible at XHTML and CSS (actually I was the best in my notably-unextraordinary class) but since I haven't used it lately, naturally I'm quite rusty. If I wanted to make a webpage right now, though, all I would need to do is look up a couple things I forgot and then get goin'.
    I would be very interested in learning other programming languages. :3 Buuut I don't really have anything to programme besides my graphing calculator.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • Ahhhh... Ti Basic... I remember making a text based game using it... So many labels. :o

The "GetKey" function was the most useful thing ever made on there!

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2013
    Java. I took last semester as a computer science course in hopes of generating programming-momentum and perpetuate in the field. However, despite garnering serious knowledge on the language, I simply couldn't stand sitting on the computer hours and programming and it just became a tedious thing to do.

I know basic python, basic C++ [which is awfully similar to Java], and solid JavaScript.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • Well, in any standard programming job, if you focus on the code enough, you go into a weird state that I like to call "The zone"... It turns hours into minutes, and you have very little consciousness of time, you essentially go into a magical black hole and code comes out.

Years
  • My job has kinda threw me in the deep end.
    At University, I learnt C#, C++, MEL, Python.
    But now with my job, ontop of that, I know VBscript, most web languages (HTML(5), PHP and so on)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I just went from not understanding PHP in the least to being in the middle of coding a mobile website using it, hahaha. Sometime a few days ago I had an epiphany and was like "OH MY GOD I UNDERSTAND HOW THIS WORKS" and so now I have like 0 trouble with it haha.

Years
  • Yeh, PHP is pretty easy to pick up IMO. I think all of the web languages are; they just speak for themselves and when you look at it, you can, at least, guess what they are doing.​

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Well it wasn't too easy for me to get the hang of PHP at first, it's different from HTML/CSS by a lot. But now that I understand the basics of it the rest is starting to just fall into place haha. I actually like it a lot more than the other two because it's closer to an actual programming language, with variables and if/then statements XD

Years
  • I think it was easier for me, because I worked with it fully AFTER I learnt my C's and so on, so I just had a logical way of thinking about it. :3​

Back