• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Proof Ash Isn't 10!

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    In the third Pokemon Movie, the one with Entei, There is a Pikachu short in th beggening. At the end of the short Ash mentions it's the anniversery of the day he got Pikachu. That means it's been atleast one year since he got Pikachu. If he was ten then, then he has to be atlest eleven now. Proving he isn't ten.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Well, even if that logic does make sense. In the first episode of BW, the narrator said Ash is still 10, so yeah...

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    yes, but this is proof that it doesn't make any sense.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • This is why people should never question the senseless things, that happen in anime

I knew about the Pikachu thing and all of that relating to Ash's age, but I always thought that what happens in the Movies doesn't actually happen in the show or doesn't get brought up or anything... so, yes, this doesn't really make sense.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • Well, according to Takeshi Shudo, Ash is exactly 10 years, 10 months, and 10 days exactly prior to the day he began his Pokemon journey. And according to him, trainers begin to get their Pokemon at the age of ten on April. If Ash started his journey on April 1, then his birthday must be May 22.

Well, we solved his birthday, so what about his age? Well, most people say he's 13 years old or he's 12 years old and try to prove it to everyone. I just laugh hearing those stuff because they obviously haven't watched the first episode of Black and White, where the narrator mentions Ash being a ten-year-old boy. That was quite a shock for everyone, who thought Ash was 12 or 13. Maybe the world of Pokemon's climate is the same of that as Never Never Land?

Anyway, I was pretty surprised too when I first heard it. Okay, so this just disproves this thread wrong. But this thread makes one point: THE ANIME IS ALL MESSED UP!!!

Last edited:

GStheHero

YouTube Battler
    Years
  • I was watching The School of Hard Knocks episode On Demand today and said that he had been on his journey for 2 months. Which would make him about 11 at that point. But the writers probably don't care. He's 10 and that's what they're sticking to.

terminoob

Waffles.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    yes, but this is proof that it doesn't make any sense.

Because Pokemon takes pride on making sense. Remember, you're talking about the same show that had "AIM FOR THE HORN!" and Thunder Armor.

Besides, tons of shows get away with not aging their characters, despite actually showing birthdays or having them state that they're moving on to a new grade in school, despite them already being in that grade (The Simpsons, Family Guy, Fairly Odd Parents, South Park and the comic strip Foxtrot all come to mind, though I'm sure there's dozens more). If they can get away with it, Pokemon should be able to as well.

Years
  • In the third Pokemon Movie, the one with Entei, There is a Pikachu short in th beggening. At the end of the short Ash mentions it's the anniversery of the day he got Pikachu. That means it's been atleast one year since he got Pikachu. If he was ten then, then he has to be atlest eleven now. Proving he isn't ten.
    How does that prove anything? It mentions nothing about his age, just the time that's passed. That happens in many TV shows. On the other hand, BW specifically states that Ash is 10 years-old. If we go by your logic Ash would be about 15-20 by now since they say a year has passed on many occasions. TR even says they've been chasing Pikachu since before Dawn was born. Does that make Ash 20?

This is why people should never question the senseless things, that happen in anime

I knew about the Pikachu thing and all of that relating to Ash's age, but I always thought that what happens in the Movies doesn't actually happen in the show or doesn't get brought up or anything... so, yes, this doesn't really make sense.
    The movies are canon, there's too much evidence supporting this.

Last edited:

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    In the Indigo League episode "Battle of the Badge" it says it had been a year since Ash started his journey, so yeah, the writers just don't care and he's staying 10 forever. As well as BW, Ash also says he's 10 in the 10th movie if I remember correctly (although indirectly).

GStheHero

YouTube Battler
    Years

• How does that prove anything? It mentions nothing about his age, just the time that's passed. That happens in many TV shows. On the other hand, BW specifically states that Ash is 10 years-old. If we go by your logic Ash would be about 15-20 by now since they say a year has passed on many occasions. TR even says they've been chasing Pikachu since before Dawn was born. Does that make Ash 20?

Lolwut? If it's been a year then he's obviously had a birthday at some point. The point is that the writers ignore his birthday as if it never happened so he doesn't age.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    There was also an episode of Pokémon on the first season, where Misty said, "I can't believe its been a whole year since we've been here." That was when they returned to Viridian City so Ash could get his eighth and final badge.

You wouldn't believe how pissed I was when the narrator in the B/W series said Ash was ten years old. Even though, in reality, Ash should be like 20-something, I believe he's about 15 or 16 years old. Plus, he sounds like he's going through puberty, what with the voice change. I mean, I know it's a different voice actress, but still, he's not ten anymore.

Years
  • Lolwut? If it's been a year then he's obviously had a birthday at some point. The point is that the writers ignore his birthday as if it never happened so he doesn't age.

Stop right there. You need to remember that this is a TV show. Time passing while characters are not aging is very common. Logic doesn't apply in Pokemon; the characters don't have to follow our rules. It's all up to the writers; they decide what goes. In this case they say Ash has traveled many years without ever having a birthday. Isn't it a bet sketchy that they've never even shown Ash having a birthday? Instead we just get something along the lines of "it's been a year" every once in a while. The writers aren't really ignoring anything. After all, they get to decide how the concept of time and aging works in the Pokemon world; not us. If Ash ages I'm sure it will be pointed out.

On top of that, it's Pokemon. Logic need not apply.

In the Indigo League episode "Battle of the Badge" it says it had been a year since Ash started his journey, so yeah, the writers just don't care and he's staying 10 forever. As well as BW, Ash also says he's 10 in the 10th movie if I remember correctly (although indirectly).
    Ash also says he's May's age sometime during the beginning of Hoenn.

Last edited:

flamz321

Redefining the arts...
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jan 13, 2024
    Stop right there. You need to remember that this is a TV show. Time passing while characters are not aging is very common. Logic doesn't apply in Pokemon; the characters don't have to follow our rules. It's all up to the writers; they decide what goes. In this case they say Ash has traveled many years without ever having a birthday. Isn't it a bet sketchy that they've never even shown Ash having a birthday? Instead we just get something along the lines of "it's been a year" every once in a while. The writers aren't really ignoring anything. After all, they get to decide how the concept of time and aging works in the Pokemon world; not us. If Ash ages I'm sure it will be pointed out.

^^^^ I think this is the most probable idea. I mean c'mon lets stop for a second. Pokemon got famous by introducing what are essentially freakishly mutated animals the can, for some reason, only say one word (being their name) and can somehow blow stuff up at command. Does that make sense? So why does Ash's age need to make sense? It's all part of the aura of fantasmicality :)

Lashh

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • AZ
    • Seen Aug 8, 2011
    Even though it's been stated in this thread that Ash won't ever age, I will bring up this one theory I used to have about his possible age:

Ash - Starts @ 10 years old
    Kanto journey - 1 yr, 11 yrs old
    Orange isl - 6 mo, 11&1/2
    Hoenn - 1 yr, 12&1/2
    Battle front. - 6 mo, 13
    Sinnoh - 1 yr, 14

Which would lead me to speculate that he'd be 15 by Unova's end, but then again, just a theory.

I honestly think it's funny that he gets reset each region, it's like he's hitting the new game button and sending off all his Pokemon to another game so they won't be erased.

Years
  • Even though it's been stated in this thread that Ash won't ever age, I will bring up this one theory I used to have about his possible age:

Ash - Starts @ 10 years old
    Kanto journey - 1 yr, 11 yrs old
    Orange isl - 6 mo, 11&1/2
    Hoenn - 1 yr, 12&1/2
    Battle front. - 6 mo, 13
    Sinnoh - 1 yr, 14

Which would lead me to speculate that he'd be 15 by Unova's end, but then again, just a theory.

I honestly think it's funny that he gets reset each region, it's like he's hitting the new game button and sending off all his Pokemon to another game so they won't be erased.
    I distinctly remember Ash's mom saying that he's been gone for a whole year at the end of the Battle Frontier saga.

GStheHero

YouTube Battler
    Years

• Stop right there. You need to remember that this is a TV show. Time passing while characters are not aging is very common. Logic doesn't apply in Pokemon; the characters don't have to follow our rules. It's all up to the writers; they decide what goes. In this case they say Ash has traveled many years without ever having a birthday. Isn't it a bet sketchy that they've never even shown Ash having a birthday? Instead we just get something along the lines of "it's been a year" every once in a while. The writers aren't really ignoring anything. After all, they get to decide how the concept of time and aging works in the Pokemon world; not us. If Ash ages I'm sure it will be pointed out.

Bro, what are you talking about? If a year passes, a birthday would occur. What I'm obviously saying is that the writers ignore this and instead keep him 10. He only had to be traveling for about 2 months for a birthday to occur, but they don't acknowledge it and just keep him 10.

tough

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    The Writer/Creator said Ash will never age. BW 1 confirmed that when the narrator said Ash is still 10.
    The reason why Ash is still ten years old in the BW series is due to that series being a reboot.

Age don't really matter in the Pokemon world and it was never stated how old Ash was in the Kanto and Johto sagas,or the Hoenn and Sinnoh sagas either.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I don't think the reboot for Black/White really counts for the Anime. Ash still should've aged. Though I kind of agree with Kirbychu saying that since it's Pokémon, it doesn't need logic. I think Pokémon is already illogical enough, the least they could do is add a bit of realism and make Ash age. He should be at least 15.

tough

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    I don't think the reboot for Black/White really counts for the Anime. Ash still should've aged. Though I kind of agree with Kirbychu saying that since it's Pokémon, it doesn't need logic. I think Pokémon is already illogical enough, the least they could do is add a bit of realism and make Ash age. He should be at least 15.
    Yeah Ash should be a whole lot older by now,but it is a cartoon after all and the writers want to keep the same age which kinda sucks by the way.

Back