• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Proof Ash Isn't 10!

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    OP is one of the very few who hasn't accepted that Pokemon has a terminal sickness called... The Simpson Syndrome.

It's a very strange syndrome that's been around for over 20 years. And probably ever since the 3rd or 4th Generation, Pokemon has caught the virus that produces the syndrome. One of the symptoms is conflicting time-lines, like how exactly one year passed by in the 3rd movie, and yet one year hasn't even passed by whilst the show has been going on for about 15 years.

I mean... just saying. Once a show displays the syndrome, you probably shouldn't make it so much srsbsns anymore.

</votes4FAQs>

Years
  • Even though it's been stated in this thread that Ash won't ever age, I will bring up this one theory I used to have about his possible age:

Ash - Starts @ 10 years old
    Kanto journey - 1 yr, 11 yrs old
    Orange isl - 6 mo, 11&1/2
    Hoenn - 1 yr, 12&1/2
    Battle front. - 6 mo, 13
    Sinnoh - 1 yr, 14

Which would lead me to speculate that he'd be 15 by Unova's end, but then again, just a theory.

I honestly think it's funny that he gets reset each region, it's like he's hitting the new game button and sending off all his Pokemon to another game so they won't be erased.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    OOoooh maaan! :) hahahaha. That last bit had me cracking up. I could only picture him return to pallet town and asking the professor to help me transfer over his pokemon and the professor inserting the new Pokemon VIDEO GAME CARD into his Pokedex and saying, nice, now let's hit that reset buttooonn....DONE! Here we go Ash, let's do it again. Oooh man, my pubic hair is dissapearing Professor! What THE?!?!...Heeeey WHO ARE YOU?? (professor Oak) HI! I'm a professor Oak. We live in this strange world where creatures called Pokemon.... lol you get my drift hahaha.

chakra199

Playing pokemon, like a boss
    Years
  • hes still 10? theres no possible way hes gone through all the regions in less than a year...the anime is so retarded at times v_v i believe hes atleast 14 by now...atleast he should be.

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
  • Don't use logic in PKMN. PKMN shows tend to defy logic.
    I mean, if I used some kind of stupid logic, Ash would be at least 20 by now,
    had 3 wives by the time he got to Unova. (Yep 3 wives = Dawn, Misty and May)

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2011
    So? Hasn't Family Guy been on for like 10 years and every few episodes or so they mention "years later" like when Stewie kills Lois how they mention that 2 years pass. Yet Stewie is always a baby, Meg is still a teen girl, Chris is always a teenager, Brian should be like near-dead by now, etc.

I thought the same thing about the Simpsons. Bart was 10 in 1989. He should be 32 by now.

The nice thing about cartoons is that the characters don't have to age and so the writers can keep them in their original, likable state. Time has taken its toll on many live action shows. As the actors get older, the writers have to change the stories to fit the actor's age. As time goes on, the audience gets fatigued with the changes and eventually stops watching. This is especially so with shows involving kids: Full House, Boy Meets World, all the way back to Happy Days... once the kids get old and not cute anymore, the audience just doesn't care anymore.

So I'm perfectly fine with Ash staying an ambiguous age. I'd rather he be ten and still fun and innocent than have the show's premise be about transformer-motorcycles or whatever happened to Yugioh.

VinceLevi

Do A Barrel Roll!
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2015
    Ash IS still ten....

He's just a better speed-runner than any of us will ever be.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    In our world Ash would be 23 (maybe 24), but since he lives in the Pokemanz world he's 10, still, and always will be, lol. I thought it was dumb that the narrator said he was still 10 in the beginning of Black/White, but what are we gonna do.

Twiggity Twang

Ruler of the Ice Boundary
    Years
  • Ugh...Why are you applying logic to this situation? I mean seriously, it's a fantastical land that is filled with mutant animals. I mean seriously, Swadloon's Razor Leaf exploded in the battle against Burgh. Plus, I think there was even one instance where Totodile's BITE exploded!
    Besides, Pokémon occurs on another planet, possibly in an alternate reality. Therefore, the concept and measurement of time may not apply in the same way there as it does in our world, and therefore their actions and concepts had to be translated into understandable variants for the viewing audience.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • The problem with comparing Pokemon to the Simpsons and Family Guy is, those shows are supposed to be stupid, illogical, and contradicting. Pokemon actually has a continuous plot. They just sucked at keeping it up.

Genesect

Team Plasma Failure
    Years
  • It seems that aging doesn't apply to the anime, in BW I almost fainted hearing that Ash is 10 ._." .

My theory: It must've been at least a year or two since the Legendary Beasts movies, he might be 9 at that time.

Draganera

lolwhut? :D
    Years
  • Ash started his Adventure in the first April 1997, in America September 1998 and in Germany September 1999. o:

That means in Japan he must be at least 24, In America 23 and in Germany 22. xD
    Well, this is a Anime, it don't need to make sense. ^^

Btw Black/White is a new "beginning" for Pokémon, just so by the way.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Lets say one episode equals ONE day of the real world, Ash has to be at least 12 by now; well thats my theory. But cartoons are known for not making their characters age so its alright.

:t354:TG

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    "The Curious Case of Ash Ketchum" He never ages, obviously. It's probably in line with his "amnesia" with forgetting nearly everything that happened in his other journeys, making the same mistakes he made since the first season. The whole thing is the reset button every new season. The writers want more money, and the money is with the younger audience. What kid wants to watch a 20-year old run around the world, hoping to be the "very best"?

Deerling

Season PoKéMoN
    Years
  • After reading some of the posts here proving that Ash should in fact be older than what he actually is (with creators and such still claiming he is ten), I have come to the conclusion that one of the legendaries must be messing about with dimensions or time itself to change fate. A bit Farfetch'd (Get it?!), I know... but it makes it easier to understand some cartoons this way. D:

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Pokemon is meant to be timeless. And I do not think a twenty year old Ash would make people want to watch it to be quite honest.

gunnerpow7

☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
    Years
  • My theory or as I like to call it, "The Game-Anime Theory" if you will... I think that Ash takes about 1-3 months to complete a region coz if we're playing a Pokemon game, at least a month will do to reach 100% game completion so I you put it that way, about 4-6 months has passed prior to B/W. Also, i think one reason that Ash doesn't age, because the writers doesn't want any love relationships to spark. That's my opinion.

Back