• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

Years
  • Now, do you mean 2nd gen, or the 4th gen Johto games? I happen to prefer 2nd gen, myself, and while I'll admit that a huge chunk of that is nostalgia, another huge chunk is them being incredible games. A close second is the 3rd gen remakes of 1st gen.

If we ignore remakes here for a sec, then 5th gen is probably my second-favorite gen, after 2nd. I love the entirely new batch of Pokemon. Haters gonna hate, and all that. Some look stupid, sure, but even the first 151 had some pretty stupid Pokemon. It's actually sorta hard to include remakes, because I like the remakes in each gen quite a bit more than the actual new games of those gens. I do feel like 5th is a step back from HGSS, particularly in terms of touch screen controls, but there's still a lot to like. The music is excellent, the new battle effects cool. Gameplay is, so far, the same as it's ever been.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on things like plot yet, seeing as how I can barely read Japanese. It seems, as always, even more of a driving factor in the game than the last ones. I have mixed feelings about this. I have always loved the first 2 gens because they didn't try to be much more than a child's journey. They had no delusions: the villains were Saturday morning cartoon villains, there was no attempt to be epic. Team Rocket wanted to steal Pokemon. Stealing is bad; therefore, they are bad. That works fine. It gives you an adversary without straining the player's suspension of disbelief. But when you have environmental terrorists and men with god delusions, trying to get the God Pokemon to become a god, it makes less and less sense that these guys would bend over and just stop because a ten year old's monsters beat their monsters in a battle fought one on one according to an arbitrary system of rules. The more serious the plots try to be, the more dissonant the games become with the core concept, and anyways I like my Pokemon uncomplicated. That said, the opening cutscene of B/W has me intrigued.

I'd say my only real disappointment in the game, touch screen controls aside, is the lack of changing up anything substantial. The HMs are all the same moves again (so far). The starters are all the same types (hell, Pokebuu's evolutions are, yet again, Fire-Fighting. For the third gen in a row). I don't want Pokemon to change up its core battle system much, but it seems the main focus of this one was...whatever the C-Gear does for online battles. And that just seems so incremental.

But yeah! Games are good. I will absolutely buy them (or one, anyways) again in English.

- I meant both really. just the johto region in general is excellent.

- the touch screen isn't like it was in hg/ss? that's disappointing. how so do you mean? like back to the diamond way things were? because I'm pretty sure I saw a screenshot with the game saving on the bottom screen... so is it a total jump back or just some features of the touch screen were taken away?

- I thought hm's were taken away from the new games, with all tms just being permanent. is this not true or do they just categorize the two still?

- yeah, the fire-fighting starter is a real let down. I always took the fire starters before they came. I used each of the fire-fight ones and hated them all... hopefully the 5th gen one isn't so bad because water and grass pokemon are too common, and fire ones aren't common enough

Kenta-kun

死神
    Years
  • the touch screen isn't like it was in hg/ss? that's disappointing. how so do you mean? like back to the diamond way things were? because I'm pretty sure I saw a screenshot with the game saving on the bottom screen... so is it a total jump back or just some features of the touch screen were taken away?

It's not as bad as 4th gen, but instead kind of occupies a point between DPP and HGSS. Basically, yes, the menu is on the touch screen. However, X still needs to be pressed to bring it up. There's no scrolling through text (outside of battle, anyways) or interacting with the environment on the touch screen, no accessing set items through it, and you have to hold B to run again.

I thought hm's were taken away from the new games, with all tms just being permanent. is this not true or do they just categorize the two still?

HMs are still categorized separately. I'm actually not sure if they can be forgotten or not, I haven't tried yet. The TMs don't break, though, that part is right.

Years
  • It's not as bad as 4th gen, but instead kind of occupies a point between DPP and HGSS. Basically, yes, the menu is on the touch screen. However, X still needs to be pressed to bring it up. There's no scrolling through text (outside of battle, anyways) or interacting with the environment on the touch screen, no accessing set items through it, and you have to hold B to run again.

so in other words it's on the touch screen but not touchable? O_o'

Kenta-kun

死神
    Years
  • Aah, sorry, yeah. It can be touched, once X brings it up. The touch screen just doesn't have the insane level of functionality that it did in HGSS, is all. Just the menu (which can't even be brought up with the touch screen. I find this bizarre), the C-Gear, and battle stuff.

Years
  • Not sure if this is true or has been discussed yet, but to me it appeared that exp gain is modified by the level distance of your Pokemon towards the enemy.
    For example, some days ago when I made an attempt at a BW Nuzlocke and tried to bait+switch-grind my Angrydoof, it got about double the exp my Smugleaf got. Or, when I was grinding for the first gym on the route between the second and third city, I got decent exp early on, but around level 12, level 7 enemies only seemed to give about 30-40 exp.
    Has this been viewed before or am I just an idiot?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Not sure if this is true or has been discussed yet, but to me it appeared that exp gain is modified by the level distance of your Pokemon towards the enemy.
    For example, some days ago when I made an attempt at a BW Nuzlocke and tried to bait+switch-grind my Angrydoof, it got about double the exp my Smugleaf got. Or, when I was grinding for the first gym on the route between the second and third city, I got decent exp early on, but around level 12, level 7 enemies only seemed to give about 30-40 exp.
    Has this been viewed before or am I just an idiot?

I think your right.

When I received my Monkey, I noticed it was getting more Exp that Mijumaru,
    Like in the first gym I was battling blah, I switched out for the Monkey, and it gained more.

On topic : I don't really hate anything about the new game.
    I love how they took away the horrible beeping noise when you get into red health and replaced it with different music, I actually like the music to this gen more than the others.

The only thing that bugs me is that they took away the Pokemon following you. Other than that everything is amazing.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • OK, I just noticed another con. Apparently, BW only introduced one new Poke Ball, the Dream Ball, which I assume is going to be used specifically to catch Dream World Pokemon... But not only that, the Apricorn Balls are unobtainable except by hacking! :cer_pissed:
    Would it have been that hard to include areas to grow Apricorn trees in the games (not to mention Berries)?

I don't even have HeartGold yet, and I was already intrigued by the Apricorn Balls...

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • Some points which I didn't like:
    - Panic music, when your Pokemon's HP is low. It's ok for regular trainer battles, but ruins the moment in gym/E4/event battles with unique music.
    - No auto-run.
    - Touch screen isn't as useful as HGSS.
    - Rearranging Pokemon in the PC box seems slower, and no mass-select like RSE.
    - No rematching against most trainers, some exist but only in fixed areas.
    - Unable to bring items from 4th gen (though this is 5th gen, and I understand they're trying to establish that by means like this.)

hamguy4456

Heracross fanatic
    Years
  • Forgive me if I'm the only one who felt like this, but does this game seem more difficult than previous games? I'm on the fifth gym and I've noticed that it's more challenging than before. I find this to be a good thing - the Pokemon games needed a bit of challenge. The only problem I have with the game is the insane base stats of Isshu Pokemon. Most previous generation Pokemon are obsolete.

Years
  • In response to Hiro, the Nat'l Dex is back because some people will miss their Charizard and stuff, plus remember, GOTTA CATCH'EM ALL.

On a separate note, the only con I find is Meraruba is a ***** to train.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    At this point, the only con that bother me are, as many have said, no way to rematch trainers and gym leaders. Also the lack of animated trainer sprites is a bit bothersome. The Touch screen being downgraded a bit as well, which is disappointing.

Those things are really the only major things that bother me. The rest of the games are fantastic, and I can't wait to get my hands on the English versions so I can further understand the story.

Editman

Pokemon Collector
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    I don't like 90% of the pokemon (Munna WTF>:)). Something about the game just really seems off (I haven't got my fourth badge yet though)

I hate team Plasma, they are an epic fail to me.

I do like the whole big city thing,
    I like how they're are black trainers now, and even a black gym leader. (Atleast they look black)
    I like the livecaster
    I hate how no old region pokemon make an appearance in the game. (Like the ones that just natrually should be there...Zubat Magikarp ETC.)
    I like how you get two actual Trainer Rivals.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
  • I don't like 90% of the pokemon (Munna WTF>:)). Something about the game just really seems off (I haven't got my fourth badge yet though)

I hate team Plasma, they are an epic fail to me.

I do like the whole big city thing,
    I like how they're are black trainers now, and even a black gym leader. (Atleast they look black)
    I like the livecaster
    I hate how no old region pokemon make an appearance in the game. (Like the ones that just natrually should be there...Zubat Magikarp ETC.)
    I like how you get two actual Trainer Rivals.
    You do encounter old Pokemon in the game. Just not until you beat the E4.

razzbat

dancer
    Years
  • not liking the new box system. why is there only 8 boxes?
    i hate the red health music. rather than make it more intense, it makes it loose the whole tension by stopping the actual bgm.

but other than those things, im really liking the game. XD

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    not liking the new box system. why is there only 8 boxes?
    i hate the red health music. rather than make it more intense, it makes it loose the whole tension by stopping the actual bgm.

The 8 boxes is only for the beginning of the game. After the E4, or maybe the National Dex, you get more boxes. =D

Years
  • not liking the new box system. why is there only 8 boxes?

After you beat the Elite Four, you can store 720 Pokemon in your boxes. Which is 24 boxes. A definite pro. You'll have plenty of room to spare. ;)

Back