• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
Years
  • I swear I hate the major level gap after the E4. The trainers pokemon jump from like 53 all the way to 63-65 and the only way to train is to battle the overpowered trainers.

Ricochet Orange

The one who needed a new forum
    Years
  • I don't like how the first gym has three leaders yet you only fight one. I wanted to battle the water guy so I would have a challenge. Because to enter the gym you have to talk to a gu that gives you a free Pokemon (one of the three monkeys) and that one is super effective against the gym leader you face. In my case, I picked Mijumaru, so I had to battle the grass guy, but I was given the fire monkey so I pretty much breezed through the first gym. It should have been a triple battle, or at least the option of who you fight.

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
    Years
  • I know it's kind of early to be setting pros and cons of the game. Because well I personnaly havent played it, or cant read Japanese (I wish). But just by news from the game itself that other people told me, is pretty good. Like new pokemon, abilitys and attacks. But something that was a major kill-joy for me was... well no preevolution and evouliion stages for older pokemon. Like my hopes were high when the Buffalo pokemon was realesed. Thought it was a evolution of Tauros...But no. Kill-joy.

But overrall, I think it can be a good game, but you give its pros and con if you havent played it yourself. I still wish I could read and speak Japanese.

The Red Chain

I found another con on the 3 days I've been soft resetting for a shiny Tsutaaja.

Why, on earth, does it not show shininess in the pictures before you choose them like it did in HGSS? That was so unbelievably convenient if you were shiny hunting one of the starters. They traded the shiny starter picture on the choosing screen for animated sprites once more. I appreciate their efforts in the animation, but.. just.. making shiny hunting for a starter that much harder is so unnecessary. I know they probably didn't think of that by much, but they did in HGSS. So.. why not now? That's prolly my only main irritation right now since I have to click Tsutaaja and wait to go into battle before I can see if it's shiny or not. That consumes a lot more unnecessary time. D;

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I know it's kind of early to be setting pros and cons of the game. Because well I personnaly havent played it, or cant read Japanese (I wish). But just by news from the game itself that other people told me, is pretty good. Like new pokemon, abilitys and attacks. But something that was a major kill-joy for me was... well no preevolution and evouliion stages for older pokemon. Like my hopes were high when the Buffalo pokemon was realesed. Thought it was a evolution of Tauros...But no. Kill-joy.

But overrall, I think it can be a good game, but you give its pros and con if you havent played it yourself. I still wish I could read and speak Japanese.

I would've preferred that electric flying squirrel that I heard about to actually be an evo of Pachirisu, gained the Flying-type or the Levitate ability upon evolution. Luvdisc and Mamenbou, along with Buffalon and Tauros to an extent, not being related to each other is just annoying. Luvdisc is one of the most obvious Pokemon needing an evolution, and it gets shafted.
    I had wanted Tauros and Buffalon to be standalones, but Buffalon looks a bit too similar to Tauros to avoid speculation on their connections.

I wouldn't have minded if the 1-3 cross-generation Pokemon lines actually existed in BW, similar to how Hoenn's regional dex only introduced 2 new Pokemon (Wynaut and Azurill) related to Pokemon of another Generation... With the flying squirrel and Mamenbou's case, it doesn't detract much from the overall experience if they're related to past Pokemon...they could have been available in the wild, and Incenses would allow you to breed to get Luvdisc and Pachirisu...

In my own Pokemon interpretation, I'm just going to consider Mamenbou and the electric flying squirrels evos of Luvdisc and Pachirisu, even if Game Freak says otherwise! :D

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • PRO: NO FREAKING ELITE FOUR!!! Why? The game will be so boring after you beat it.

The Train battle's dont count as a Frontier in my opinion. Just two brain? And the most simple battles with no twists?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • PRO: NO FREAKING ELITE FOUR!!! Why? The game will be so boring after you beat it.

The Train battle's dont count as a Frontier in my opinion. Just two brain? And the most simple battles with no twists?
    There basicially is an Elite 4 in B/W. During the first round you battle them, you get to do the Elite Four, but you don't get to battle the champion because you have to do the final showdown with N in place of the champion battle. But you get to battle the Elite 4 again (with them having stronger and different Pokemon with them) after the National Dex. At this time, you get to battle the champion (who also has strong Pokemon).

This is a con (bad thing) for me because I may barely have the time to train my Pokemon so that they'd be as strong as the revamped E4/champion.

o0PinkSquid0o

Squidtacular
    Years
  • Hmm I've decided to give my Pros and cons, I've played up to the 8th Gym Leader:

Pros:
    - Hihidaruma!! I love this guy, he's so epic and amazing!
    - Two Rivals
    - Music (besides panic music)
    - Graphics, the way the pokemon move and the way the towns look

Cons:
    - Its too easy!!! I haven't gotten to the elite 4 or whatever they have in place after the 8th badge but ugh I am fairly sure I have had a fainted party once in my entire play through.
    - Gym leaders only having 2 or 3 pokemon each, makes the gyms boring and you can beat them fairly fast
    - Playing in Japanese :(

can't think of anything else, might post again once I've played through more of the game

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    I'm not going to play it until it comes out in the US, but so far I actually like a lot of the designs. Some of them are terrible, but I'm getting sick of hearing how people aren't even going to buy the game because of the designs! xD I feel like those people aren't true Pokemaniacs

Things that seems iffy to me so far:
    -The elemental monkey thing. I'm definitely not going to use my monkey even though they're cute...
    -The fact that there aren't enough fire type choices
    -There are too any mixed types and I agree about the fire/fighting type getting old
    -Too many event based legendaries
    -Too many bug Pokemon
    -The electric flying squirrel doesn't evolve :/
    -No new eeveelutions!! :(

Pros I've noticed so far:
    -NYC based, my hometown ;)
    -The starters. No as good as gen 1 and gen 2 but much better than certain ones from 3 and 4
    -TMs not going away. Honestly it made me shy away from competitive battling because it's so annoying trying to get over 9000 Earthquake TMs
    -SEASONS!
    -Once again, the new Pokemon. I have my party planned out and it's sexy c:
    -I agree with whoever said it's awesome that there are more 3 stage evolutions
    -High level evolving. Yay!
    -No baby Pokemon?!! GOOD they're just Pokedex fodder to me (No offense, they're adorable)

Last edited:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I'm not going to play it until it comes out in the US, but so far I actually like a lot of the designs. Some of them are terrible, but I'm getting sick of hearing how people aren't even going to buy the game because of the designs! xD I feel like those people aren't true Pokemaniacs

Things that seems iffy to me so far:
    -The elemental monkey thing. I'm definitely not going to use my monkey even though they're cute...
    -The fact that there aren't enough fire type choices
    -There are too any mixed types and I agree about the fire/fighting type getting old
    [S-HIGHLIGHT]-Too many event based legendaries[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
    -Too many bug Pokemon
    [S-HIGHLIGHT]-The electric flying squirrel doesn't evolve :/[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
    -No new eeveelutions!! :(

Pros I've noticed so far:
    -NYC based, my hometown ;)
    -The starters. No as good as gen 1 and gen 2 but much better than certain ones from 3 and 4
    -TMs not going away. Honestly it made me shy away from competitive battling because it's so annoying trying to get over 9000 Earthquake TMs
    -SEASONS!
    -Once again, the new Pokemon. I have my party planned out and it's sexy c:
    -I agree with whoever said it's awesome that there are more 3 stage evolutions
    -High level evolving. Yay!
    -No baby Pokemon?!! GOOD they're just Pokedex fodder to me (No offense, they're adorable)

The surfacing of "event-based Legendaries" worries me again, and I don't even know how many there are... :cer_pissed: With the Pokemon rebirth, I thought events/event-only Pokemon would be scrapped, but nooooo... :(

And the electric flying squirrel should've had Pachirisu as a pre-evo! In addition, adequate stats as well, so it can be decent in battles... :\

Years
  • The surfacing of "event-based Legendaries" worries me again, and I don't even know how many there are... :cer_pissed: With the Pokemon rebirth, I thought events/event-only Pokemon would be scrapped, but nooooo... :(

And the electric flying squirrel should've had Pachirisu as a pre-evo! In addition, adequate stats as well, so it can be decent in battles... :\

Ehhh I figured Events would still be around, as Nintendo has to find a way to make people go to the actual event. So they bribe you with a sweet legendary Pokemon. Although I wouldn't call any of the gen V. legends sweet, except for Genosect.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    I'm still going to use the flying squirrel. :3 The rest of my party will be Pokemon with great base stats (except my starter)
    I love Kerudio who I think is event based...

Kamigoroshi

Moemon Hunter
    Years
  • A drawback which Black/White definitely has in my eyes is the absent of crepuscular, diurnal, and nocturnal pokemon encounters. True... 5th generation has seasonal encounters, but this is no reason to not include the older feature as well.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • A drawback which Black/White definitely has in my eyes is the absent of crepuscular, diurnal, and nocturnal pokemon encounters. True... 5th generation has seasonal encounters, but this is no reason to not include the older feature as well.

I know...that's one of the features that had me intrigued about GSC/HGSS... No reason why it couldn't be included to complement seasonal encounters... :\

And, from what I've gleaned from the Rangerboard forums, a pro is trading up to 3 Pokemon at a time, as well as gaining the ability to trade straight from the PC... Saves a lot of time. :D

Con is that BW can't utilize the PokeWalker...items found can't be migrated to BW, and some of the special Pokemon (i.e., Surfing/Flying Pikachu) lose their purpose upon being migrated to BW... :( I assume the PokeWalker only has Gen IV Pokemon programmed, but it would have still been great if its use could have been preserved for 5th Gen...

o0PinkSquid0o

Squidtacular
    Years
  • Hrm another con... I just beat the elite 4 etc and OMG the level jump is huge!!! from lv 50 straight up to 64 and above! Ok now the game is actually hard! I'm struggling to train my new team because I didn't realise how huge the level gap would be!

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Pros:
    Great scenery, nicely leveled wild pokemon, free monkey, tons of rival battles, unique storyline & Isshu is GORGEOUS! (yes i said that twice :P)

Cons: Grass Starters horrible moveset& horrible TM selection, the lack of Dragon Pulse & Dark Pulse as TMs, the HORRIBLE TMs, the Terrible Accuracy of alot of the new moves (Grass Mixer misses more than it hits at 90accuracy seriously???), lack of new attack moves for certain types, terrible Egg movesets, the Fire beginner enough said, lack of the lil realistic noises in HG/SS when near water, exc. , the lack of storyline for the dark trio or whatever their called, the extremely high levels for evolution, the Fire/Bug egg isnt received til AFTER the E4 (WTF!? that only gives me 1good fire type,the ghost/fire type),
    & lastly they still havent learned to give pokemon a simultaneous release across the world, why not just give a language option?
    like this:
    Continue
    New Game
    WI-FI
    Battle Now
    Mystery Gift
    Options
    [Insert things i forgot]
    Language (select this& choose your language, then everyones happy)

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
    Years
  • Hmm I've decided to give my Pros and cons, I've played up to the 8th Gym Leader:

Pros:
    - Hihidaruma!! I love this guy, he's so epic and amazing!
    - Two Rivals
    - Music (besides panic music)
    - Graphics, the way the pokemon move and the way the towns look

Cons:
    - Its too easy!!! I haven't gotten to the elite 4 or whatever they have in place after the 8th badge but ugh I am fairly sure I have had a fainted party once in my entire play through.
    - Gym leaders only having 2 or 3 pokemon each, makes the gyms boring and you can beat them fairly fast
    - Playing in Japanese :(

can't think of anything else, might post again once I've played through more of the game

Unless you want the gym leaders to have duplicate pokemon, they are kinda limited to about 4 pokemon each. They fairly distrubuted the types this time around.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years

• Ehhh I figured Events would still be around, as Nintendo has to find a way to make people go to the actual event. So they bribe you with a sweet legendary Pokemon. Although I wouldn't call any of the gen V. legends sweet, except for Genosect.
    Of course they aren't Sweet, they are Awesome and threatening looking :P

Back