• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

Sleet

Forum Lurker
Years

• Says the one who has a Seviper av/signature. :cer_shifty:

I give a thumbs up to this generation in general, despite not having an evolution of Dunsparce.

Don't be hating on Seviper :laugh:

Anyway, disregard that last post I made anyway. I just...acquired the game with the English patch and, I must say, It is so much better than I expected. And the final evolutions of the Pokemon don't actually look that bad.

4/5 so far for me and I've only played an hour or so of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2011
    I finished the game the other day, and i have to say it's by far my favourite gen thus far. I despised the 3rd gen, and thought the 4th was decent, but this one is just amazing. I love the pokemon, they remind me so much of kanto, the far fetched designs that made the first games so great. The story is amazing, and the graphics look great. Not to mention, I love the town designs. My only two complaints are that most HMs weren't really needed to advance in the game, it just didnt feel right, and it was a bit too short. Other than that, 5/5 , 10/10, 100/100.

deadlyangel91792

Psn Id-Sirbagsalot
    Years
  • O.M.G, pokemon black has been the most epic pokemon experience i have ever played everything about it is just so much better, i just finished the game with 44 hours on the clock and all i wanna do is keep playing, there are now cutscenes in the game, epic zooming in the over world gameplay, LOTS of new online modes and random wifi matches, the game feels so new and a bit more mature with still that pokemon sense of humor, you dont see ANY of the old pokemon until after you beat the elite 4 (speaking of which this game has the most epic ending sequence of all the pokemon games) and because of that it feels so fresh like a new start to the series I seriously cant wait for them to make a pokemon grey just to see what they do about all those new legendaries...among all the new pokemon i have to say my favorites are Suzandra and Ononokus (2 new dragon types)

The game is more difficult this time around too and theres just so much badassness i seriously couldnt recommend it any higher...

(also for the sake of keeping the game awesome i recommend keeping a spot open in your team when you first fight the elite 4 lets just say some poop goes down)

oh and before i 4get there's ALOT to do once you beat the E4...ALOT

(also i count beating the game as the 2nd time through the elite 4)

I dont see how anyone couldnt like this game yeah some of the new pokemon suck but its just so refreshing and feels different in such a good way...10/10 IMO

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
  • O.M.G, pokemon black has been the most epic pokemon experience i have ever played everything about it is just so much better, i just finished the game with 44 hours on the clock and all i wanna do is keep playing, there are now cutscenes in the game, epic zooming in the over world gameplay, LOTS of new online modes and random wifi matches, the game feels so new and a bit more mature with still that pokemon sense of humor, you dont see ANY of the old pokemon until after you beat the elite 4 (speaking of which this game has the most epic ending sequence of all the pokemon games) and because of that it feels so fresh like a new start to the series I seriously cant wait for them to make a pokemon grey just to see what they do about all those new legendaries...among all the new pokemon i have to say my favorites are Suzandra and Ononokus (2 new dragon types)

The game is more difficult this time around too and theres just so much badassness i seriously couldnt recommend it any higher...

(also for the sake of keeping the game awesome i recommend keeping a spot open in your team when you first fight the elite 4 lets just say some poop goes down)

oh and before i 4get there's ALOT to do once you beat the E4...ALOT

(also i count beating the game as the 2nd time through the elite 4)

I dont see how anyone couldnt like this game yeah some of the new pokemon suck but its just so refreshing and feels different in such a good way...10/10 IMO

By that, you just made me excited in playing these newer versions once they get released here. You also disliked the Pokemons' appearance, yet the gameplay "turned you on."

I hope I'll feel the same way once I get my hands on it.

I haven't really played B/W, but I think the Pro's are what he said and the Cons would only be the appearance of the Pokemons.

deadlyangel91792

Psn Id-Sirbagsalot
    Years
  • By that, you just made me excited in playing these newer versions once they get released here. You also disliked the Pokemons' appearance, yet the gameplay "turned you on."

I hope I'll feel the same way once I get my hands on it.

I haven't really played B/W, but I think the Pro's are what he said and the Cons would only be the appearance of the Pokemons.

I really wouldn't even consider the appearence to be a bad thing there unique is all and this gen still has its awesome ones...the game did turn me on though....like ALOT

(also for the record there is a 98% done english patch for the game v.7 i think it was, mine was ordered from japan but if it helps the patch is really good and covers the entire story and most if not all of the post game)

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I like the designs this generation.

Can't wait for it to come out in Ireland. I have a good feeling I will like this.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    To me:

Pros:
    Awesome opening.
    Superior battle framerate
    Superior battle speed
    Superior battle graphics
    Superior plot
    Superior music
    Superior interface... for buttons.
    No severe frameskip like in Platinum. *coughHearthomeBicyclecough*
    Pokémon designs.
    City and town design.
    Game pacing. Quick in general.

Cons:
    Nonexistent interface for the touch screen.

Years
  • So far the game for me the game looks great. But of course everything has it's ups and downs.
    So far we have...

Pros:

-The new "Pick starter, battle rival" beginning where you battle the other 2 starters you didnt take. I thought that was rather cool, but it also disappointed me because when Bel suggested a battle I went "Oh EM GEE, a 3 way battle??". Other than that, it was kind of cool.
    -The music going all "Hey this Pokemon is gonna faint soon!" when a Pokemon goes critical.
    -Constantly moving sprites and fresh new battle animations.
    -Pokemon Center and PokeMart in the same building. Finally I dont have to search all around town for the PokeMart!.
    -New looking newness. You can definitely see an American or Western influence to some of the newer characters and Pokemon.
    -The first Gym had a neat concept. 3 possible Gym Leader outcomes based on what you chose as a starter. Kinda like how Garys team would change depending on what you chose in Red and Blue.
    -They kept that "Thud" noise whenever you run into stuff.
    -A random person giving you a random Pokemon based on what you choose as a starter, so you can battle the first Gym effectively.

Cons:

-That Pokemon they give you kind of sucks other than use in the first Gym.
    -The music kinda sounds....like something you'd rather not get caught on a subway listening to.
    -The common starting out Pokemon kinda suck. A lot. Choroneko has no tolerance to damage of ANY KIND. Minezuma is rather slow and doesn't produce enough bang for being so slow. Yooterii... I have no problem with actually.
    -Exp gain is slow. Very slow.
    -Some of the Pokemon designs are kind of WTF.
    -I cannot stop reading Professor Araragi's text in the voice of Dr. Girlfriend from the Venture Brothers.

Other than all that, It seem like a solid game. I hope it throws some more awesomeness my way later on.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    It's probably my favorite since R/B (wasn't a fan of yellow). I mean, some of the pokemon look a little funky, but they always do, and frankly, I feel like they're putting the monster back in PokeMON. My biggest complaint is PROBABLY Baoppu (I don't know about the other monkeys). Until level 25 or so, the only fire attack he had (and subsequently, I had, since I picked Mijumaru) was incinerate; an attack that does less damage than ember. Oh, another thing that bugged me; Shimama. That little %^&$@! couldn't take practically ANYTHING before dying, but then he evolved and I stopped wishing I could throw his pokeball in a river. Now he's just a beast.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • It's probably my favorite since R/B (wasn't a fan of yellow). I mean, some of the pokemon look a little funky, but they always do, and frankly, I feel like they're putting the monster back in PokeMON. My biggest complaint is PROBABLY Baoppu (I don't know about the other monkeys). Until level 25 or so, the only fire attack he had (and subsequently, I had, since I picked Mijumaru) was incinerate; an attack that does less damage than ember. Oh, another thing that bugged me; Shimama. That little %^&$@! couldn't take practically ANYTHING before dying, but then he evolved and I stopped wishing I could throw his pokeball in a river. Now he's just a beast.
    Wow you make Shimama sound like the new Magikarp...
    I like it that they added cutscenes into the story :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Am I the only one who hates Miruhog with a fiery passion?

He always makes me sleep or confuses me, then it starts using hyper fang, so now I'm started using my most over-kill attacks to make sure it stays dead.

Last edited:

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Merged to the Pros and Cons as really, I would say you're listing a con there. ;P

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023

All of the nostalgiatards need to be violently assaulted and killed with chainsaws.

Lol u mad?

Or we could all play nice!

I accidentally looked at a screenshot of Isshu and remembered how pretty its grass is. Seriously, the grass that doesn't contain Pokemon is so awesome. XD

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • One of the cons of Isshu is that there is too many Grass/Poison (the combo) type pokemon, one or two is nice...but I think they went a little over board...maybe as much as they had in Kanto...

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Merged to the Pros and Cons as really, I would say you're listing a con there. ;P

Yeah it probably is a con :P I had just had my daikenki wiped out by a stroke of incredibly bad luck with one of those so I wanted to rant, but I had forgotten about this thread :P

Back