• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

GameArtistOlivier

Game Artist
Years
  • Ranting on B/W

They don't even look like pokémon anymore. Only a few of them do. Pokémon were based on animals. So there would come a point at which they wouldn't be able to 'create' new pokemons anymore. They have reached that point now. Okay, not all of the original pokemon were animals but that was to have some of them stand out(, IMO). They're more like DIGIMON now. I can't believe there are still people who like the current Pokémon games. Pokémon has had it's best time at coming up with new stuff. They should start creating other types of games now, Like something with real-time estimated battles that look more realistic instead of the turn-based battles.I have really started to hate the pokemon series with the new Black and White releases. I've played every single one of them from Yellow to HeartGold even most of the mystery dungeon and pokemon ranger spinoffs, except for the games like pokemon dash and pokemon link or even pokemon pinball. Pokemon just isn't pokemon anymore.

Please give me your opinion, maybe you can show me the light of the new games, that was hidden away in this terrible dark cave of non-pokemon.

Years
  • Well the storyline looks great. And as people asked for something different we got it. Theres going to be a lot more features, more than even gen 4 added. Also you don't have to tolerate these Pokemon for too long, once you beat the E4 you can catch 'em all.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    They don't even look like pokémon anymore. Only a few of them do. Pokémon were based on animals. So there would come a point at which they wouldn't be able to 'create' new pokemons anymore. They have reached that point now. Okay, not all of the original pokemon were animals but that was to have some of them stand out(, IMO). They're more like DIGIMON now. I can't believe there are still people who like the current Pokémon games. Pokémon has had it's best time at coming up with new stuff. They should start creating other types of games now, Like something with real-time estimated battles that look more realistic instead of the turn-based battles.I have really started to hate the pokemon series with the new Black and White releases. I've played every single one of them from Yellow to HeartGold even most of the mystery dungeon and pokemon ranger spinoffs, except for the games like pokemon dash and pokemon link or even pokemon pinball. Pokemon just isn't pokemon anymore.

Please give me your opinion, maybe you can show me the light of the new games, that was hidden away in this terrible dark cave of non-pokemon.

Your right about them not looking alot like first gen pokemon, but would you really want all of them to look the same? I do agree at some point it will be hard to come up with some more pokmon. And as far as your statement about you hating the pokemon games, your part of the minority , but i do agree i cant say i would like to see the day when theres 1000 pokemon.....well maybe lol

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
  • fs here we go again...define what looks like a Pokemon. If a dolphin looked like a shark, does that mean it's a shark and not a dolphin? NO IT DOES NOT. I am so sick and tired of over-obsessed fanboys getting mad because Pokemon changed a tiny little bit. It grew up. Maybe you should do the same? If they are Pokemon, they are in a Pokemon game, made by people who make Pokemon, they are Pokemon, if you think you can do better, go make 156 Pokemon and PM them to gamefreak. I'm sure they'd love to see your ideas. You don't like them? Don't play them, it's that simple, stop whining about a kid's game and get over it.
    And there goes my own rant.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Share your rants in the Pros and Cons Discussion instead. =P

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    fs here we go again...define what looks like a Pokemon. If a dolphin looked like a shark, does that mean it's a shark and not a dolphin? NO IT DOES NOT. I am so sick and tired of over-obsessed fanboys getting mad because Pokemon changed a tiny little bit. It grew up. Maybe you should do the same? If they are Pokemon, they are in a Pokemon game, made by people who make Pokemon, they are Pokemon, if you think you can do better, go make 156 Pokemon and PM them to gamefreak. I'm sure they'd love to see your ideas. You don't like them? Don't play them, it's that simple, stop whining about a kid's game and get over it.

I think you were a little harsh. while i agree with your logic that if the people who make pokemon make a pokemon then.... its a pokemon lol. But i can see where the other side are coming from, pokemon has changed in design since 1st gen, but like with cars ,phones , and game counsels the designs of things will change. Just as pokemon from each gen differs so does animals in real life. As for the game play and storyline of gen 5 your nucking futts if you dont think its an improvement

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    fs here we go again...define what looks like a Pokemon. If a dolphin looked like a shark, does that mean it's a shark and not a dolphin? NO IT DOES NOT. I am so sick and tired of over-obsessed fanboys getting mad because Pokemon changed a tiny little bit. It grew up. Maybe you should do the same? If they are Pokemon, they are in a Pokemon game, made by people who make Pokemon, they are Pokemon, if you think you can do better, go make 156 Pokemon and PM them to gamefreak. I'm sure they'd love to see your ideas. You don't like them? Don't play them, it's that simple, stop whining about a kid's game and get over it.

Woah...nice rant! And I agree with you all the way!! Personally, I like the way the new Pokemon look. Nintendo has done a great job of coming up with new Pokemon through five generations. You have to give credit to them for being able to do this to such nice quality. If it had been me creating all those 600 plus Pokemon they would be terrible! No one here could have done better, so just suck it up and deal with it. Go cry over the new Pokemon elsewhere, GameArtistOlivier.

PatJamma

From the ashes
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    Cons: Fire/Fighting starter AGAIN, uncreative names AGAIN, triple battles and rotations battles, game differences are really lame AS ALWAYS, no more "low health beep" (you never know you miss something until it's gone), too many legendarys AGAIN and probably a lot more

Pros: Low number of HMs

*sigh* Gamefreak went so wrong after GSC

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2010
    I love the animated sprites!

I am not too happy that we can't have pokemon follow us like in HeartGold/SoulSilver.

deadlyangel91792

Psn Id-Sirbagsalot
    Years
  • Cons: Fire/Fighting starter AGAIN, uncreative names AGAIN, triple battles and rotations battles, game differences are really lame AS ALWAYS, no more "low health beep" (you never know you miss something until it's gone), too many legendarys AGAIN and probably a lot more

1 i agree wtf

2 these are the jap names so far...idk how creative they'll be in english.

3 triple and rotation battles are awesome imo...i just hope they dont take it any further

4 the low health beep got changed for a new track that sounds great and still has the same effect as the beep since u only hear it when your health is low.

5 i agree...

sorry just throwing in my 2 cents

The Red Chain

Regarding the constant "they don't look like Pokemon" rants that I'm so annoyed at hearing, what defines a Pokemon? What "looks" like a Pokemon?
    This region's got a few more inanimate objects than normal as Pokemon, but does that really call for that comment?

There's no definite way of looking like a Pokemon to me so I'm curious as to what you all mean.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Cons: Fire/Fighting starter AGAIN, uncreative names AGAIN, triple battles and rotations battles, game differences are really lame AS ALWAYS, no more "low health beep" (you never know you miss something until it's gone), too many legendarys AGAIN and probably a lot more

Well there is still a beat but it's more upbeat and cool sounding than the "Low health beep"
    I like it that they made Tm's reusable this gen, now I don't have to struggle with buying a new one each time I use one.

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
  • I started playing Pokemon White a few days ago, (*cough*ROM*cough*) and I have to say, the game is amazing~ <33 Wonder graphics, the 3D is great~ Awesome Pokemon, always something interesting around the corner to be caught! This is the only time I have no room for HM slaves! XD And thank god there is an easy way to train low level Pokemon! This is Pokemon at it's best in my opinion!

However, now I have to get to the cons...
    But there is only 1.
    The. Game. Is. EASY.
    Too easy.
    By this I mean the Gyms... THERE IS SOMETHING DIRECTLY TO COUNTER IT NEARBY.
    CAUTION, THIS IS A HUGE SPOILER. (Doesn't know how to hide)
    Spoiler:

Don't you remember in the old days where you had to try a bit? Like how Falkner closed off a route to prevent you from getting a Pokemon that countered his team... Or how Sabrina's Gym had no exploitable weakness and all of her Pokemon were very high levels.

I mean there were a few helps to Gyms back then... Like Lt. Surges. Digglett cave right next to his city. Dugtrio, anyone? Or Roxanne in Rustboro city. Your starter kicked her Pokemons' asses, no matter which one ya chose.

A little bit of a break is good, but having this much? It's just too much, Gamefreak. :c I wish there was a challenge setting on Pokemon. No tutorial, not helpfully placed Wild Pokemon all the time, like the good ol' days.

Oh, and one more thing... Antidotes used to have a use. Poison used to be so deadly... They made me afraid of Weedle. 4th gen introduced that if they reached 1 hp, the Poison cleared. Kinda helpful if I had no Antidotes, I'd just run around until it was gone. And now, it doesn't even damage you outside of battle!! I got poisoned during the bug gym and was like, "OH SHI- I BETTER GET TO THE POKECENTER", but then shortly found out it did NOTHING. Now poison types are just a minor nuisance.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    The most common complaint about these games is that the Pokemon don't look like Pokemon, whatever that is supposed to mean. To say that is meaningless before someone defines what constitutes a Pokemon.

Besides, in reality, we do not a Pokemon is. A Pokemon is a creature in the video game series, Pokemon. Do the more recent Pokemon (whose identities are in question) fit this definition? Yes, they do.

Despite this, I do understand what the people are talking about. It's been that way since Ruby and Sapphire - the Pokemon are becoming more intricate, less simplistic. People enjoyed the old style - so, they feel that, since it was changed, that it must be for the worse.

This mindset is somewhat understandable - the original 251 were what most of today's Pokemon fans got hooked on, some even the original 151. But, yes, that's all it comes down to - people being reactionary.

This aversion to change is not the same as disliking some of the Pokemon, or even most of them, it is just about not giving them a chance because they are different that what you liked a decade ago.

You could also be one of the handful of people who actually sat down, and took the time to think about it, and decided all the new Pokemon are garbage - that you hate the direction the series is going in. If you are, I can do nothing to dissuade this.

For both the reactionary folks and those that genuinely dislike the new direction, I have a question. Why are you still here? If you dislike it, there's no reason to be here, on Pokemon websites anymore. Drag out your Game Boy Color out of the closet and play Gold version, or Red version, or whatever it was that you played for the first time. You could, I suppose, even make your own set of forums dedicated to just the first two generations of Pokemon. There is absolutely no reason for you to go on the sections for new games and rant about how awful they are.

Pokemon has changed. That isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I do apologize if that was a tad harsh.

Years
  • One of the con's for me is also all the "They don't even look like Pokemon anymore!" stuff going around, Pokemon look a tad different each gen to begin with...
    Now for one of the con in game is that they didn't give Magmar Drought but they did to Ninetails...

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Don't you remember in the old days where you had to try a bit? Like how Falkner closed off a route to prevent you from getting a Pokemon that countered his team... Or how Sabrina's Gym had no exploitable weakness and all of her Pokemon were very high levels.
    I'd disagree as in GSC with Falkner you could catch a Geodude later on or trade a bellsprout for an Onix, and Sabrina's pokes were weak to bug-type attacks back in the day (that one is rather valid though given the lack of bug-type moves and the overpowered-ness of psychic types back then). But tbh there has nearly always been a case of a Pokemon or few nearby that you could catch to help with a gym. But this doesn't really affect your playthrough - it's up to you to use them or not (bar maybe for the 1st gym given the rather low choice of Pokemon available anyways... =/), so really you can make the Pokemon games as challenging as you want (try a monotype runthrough for instance, or a nuzlocke challenge!).
    Drag out your Game Boy Color out of the closet and play Gold version, or Red version, or whatever it was that you played for the first time.
    Not at all too harsh (the Pokemon fandom likes complaining that new Pokemon don't look 'right' since the 2nd gen) but most GSC games have their internal battery dead preventing saving. ;p
    Cons: Fire/Fighting starter AGAIN, uncreative names AGAIN, triple battles and rotations battles, game differences are really lame AS ALWAYS, no more "low health beep" (you never know you miss something until it's gone), too many legendarys AGAIN and probably a lot more
    Beside the corrections to the lack of a beep when you're at low health posts, triple and rotation battles do not occur during the playthrough unless you talk to specific people in towns and agree to have such a battle with them, so it's not that valid a complaint - it's just an optional way to battle, really. Also the Japanese names are generally just as punny and 'uncreative' as the english names and have been since the beginning.

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
  • I'd disagree as in GSC with Falkner you could catch a Geodude later on or trade a bellsprout for an Onix, and Sabrina's pokes were weak to bug-type attacks back in the day (that one is rather valid though given the lack of bug-type moves and the overpowered-ness of psychic types back then). But tbh there has nearly always been a case of a Pokemon or few nearby that you could catch to help with a gym. But this doesn't really affect your playthrough - it's up to you to use them or not (bar maybe for the 1st gym given the rather low choice of Pokemon available anyways... =/), so really you can make the Pokemon games as challenging as you want (try a monotype runthrough for instance, or a nuzlocke challenge!).

Yeah, but who wants a Geodude or Onix? XD Laaaaame if you ask me. But he literally says you can't catch a Pokemon because it is strong against his team. And cmon, Mareep is an awesome Pokemon, it killed me that I had to wait. D:

Years
  • Pro: Being able to have your own house where you can put furniture where you want it as well as being able to visit your friends houses in the dream world!

Back