• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Pro: Moving Pokemon, Kana/Kanji Feature, DW adds more abilities for competitive players, Plasma being the most "plot" based team so far, reusable TMs, N is a Nuzlocker (well kinda), The only Gen that I like all three starters since Kanto, Female Non-Military Electric Gym Leader, You can choose which order to fight the E4, The Music (exept for Adeku's), Lucky Egg is easy to get, Tabbune = Easy Grinding, The only HM needed is Cut

Con: Every Gym is easily Counter-Picked, No refightable Gym Leaders, Adeku's theme, Geechisu's speeches take forever when your in a rush, The method to evolve Chobomaki and Kaburumo, The Only TM needed is CUT

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Not at all too harsh (the Pokemon fandom likes complaining that new Pokemon don't look 'right' since the 2nd gen) but most GSC games have their internal battery dead preventing saving. ;p

I always forget about that; though I have every version of those, not one has gone dead like that. But, still, if not a physical cart, they could get an emulator.

But, I'm like, totally, not advocating ROM usage.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Pro: White forest, it looks so cool, it's looks like a real big tree forest :) Oh and the new Grass/Steel type Pokemon I've been wanting one of those for some time!

locoroco

Ginga Densetsu Weed ANIME PWNS
    Years
  • Pros: They fixed d&n, the graphics are pretty cool, you dont need hm's, the dream world is very cool and wifi.

Cons: I hate the story -_- a complete dissapointment. The pokemon are also pretty bad (offtopic). The pokegear and the graphics, they were too lazy to make 3d models of the pokemon they look sooo wrong in battle. They could have done a lot better but they rushed the game and that was a downfall im really dissapointed.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    @locoroco actually you need one HM to complete the game, Cut. Without it you can't proceed the game after the 1st Gym

Years
  • Pro: The game has a difficulty where I can't just blow through things as easily. It makes you more alert.

Con: The game has a difficulty where I can't just blow through things as easily. I just want to breed and use the pokeshifter!

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Whoa...I was about to say...no Safari Zone, either?! WTF is going on? That would've been madness. Apparently, the White Forest is very similar and essentially serves the same function...though it's limited to one version. :cer_no: *sighs* But in past games, there was something special about going on a solo excursion sans Pokemon hauling around rocks, bait, and PokeBlocks. Plus, you gotta sneak up on the target Pokemon like a ninja! :bandit:

BW_Prerelease_Zoroark_battle_eng.png

In other notes, I dislike that "Claw Sharpen" got renamed as "Hone Claws". The only time I've heard the word "hone" used is with honing skills and honing in on something, not honing something like claws... :\ But apparently, it can mean "sharpening", so I guess it roughly fits. But still, Claw Sharpen even fits the current 12-character limit for a move's name! If we can have Blaze and Turboblaze as abilities, I don't see why we couldn't have Sharpen alongside Claw Sharpen... :( I'm liking the renaming of Trickery to Foul Play, though.

And finally, a pro for BW: I love that the Battle Text Box is now a semi-transparent black box. Adds a new feel to the battle screen, and still maintains the "black/white" theme of the games. Plus, it makes battles seem even more like serious business. :)

...Except now I'm bugged by the font of the letters and numbers (the level numbers, not the HP numbers) in the HP Bar Box (which isn't even a "box" anymore!). And the HP Bar shrunk... Personally, I really liked the HP Bar Box featured in Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Versions. I've gotten very used to the HP Bar Box in RSE, and DP just enhanced and beautified it to a very pleasant design. :cer_love: But I guess as Pokemon progresses, the HP Bar Box grows as well... :\

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
  • Bleh

I was not so good on the designs. Human items as designs? Come on, I would accept nature items but human? What I do like is the fact the main characters on the game actually grew or are older than 10 year old characters. I like the NY setting though.

EagleVision1999

Commander
    Years
  • Hmmm...I avoided to look at the new Pokémon as much as I can because I want to be surprised dureing playing. I like the ones I did see though.
    I generally prefer Pokémon modelled after animals and natural things instead of man made things because I can't see why a natural living creature would be shaped like a product. But it depends...I did like Chimecho for example, so I'm gonna wait 'till I play the game to decide wether I dislike them or not.

What I dislike is that one can re-use TMs. It makes things kinda easy. I also dislike that they chose to translate the region name in the other versions. Now it doesn't fit in with the other ones.
    I don't like that the only way to transfer old Pokémon into Black and White is similar to the Pal Park. I'd prefer it if they had something similar to the time machine in S/G/C .It being a one way street will make me hesistat to transfer my favorites, unless the new game turns out to be a new favorite for me.

Besides this I don't know much yet, so I'll wait.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Whoa...I was about to say...no Safari Zone, either?! WTF is going on? That would've been madness. Apparently, the White Forest is very similar and essentially serves the same function...though it's limited to one version. :cer_no: *sighs* But in past games, there was something special about going on a solo excursion sans Pokemon hauling around rocks, bait, and PokeBlocks. Plus, you gotta sneak up on the target Pokemon like a ninja! :bandit:

BW_Prerelease_Zoroark_battle_eng.png

In other notes, I dislike that "Claw Sharpen" got renamed as "Hone Claws". The only time I've heard the word "hone" used is with honing skills and honing in on something, not honing something like claws... :\ But apparently, it can mean "sharpening", so I guess it roughly fits. But still, Claw Sharpen even fits the current 12-character limit for a move's name! If we can have Blaze and Turboblaze as abilities, I don't see why we couldn't have Sharpen alongside Claw Sharpen... :( I'm liking the renaming of Trickery to Foul Play, though.

And finally, a pro for BW: I love that the Battle Text Box is now a semi-transparent black box. Adds a new feel to the battle screen, and still maintains the "black/white" theme of the games. Plus, it makes battles seem even more like serious business. :)

...Except now I'm bugged by the font of the letters and numbers (the level numbers, not the HP numbers) in the HP Bar Box (which isn't even a "box" anymore!). And the HP Bar shrunk... Personally, I really liked the HP Bar Box featured in Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Versions. I've gotten very used to the HP Bar Box in RSE, and DP just enhanced and beautified it to a very pleasant design. :cer_love: But I guess as Pokemon progresses, the HP Bar Box grows as well... :\

Since this is a Pro's and Con's thread I shouldn't have to spoiler this next bit of information but anyway n.n;
    Spoiler:

Pro; Black City looks amazing. And the new E4 layout, along with Victory road and the bridges.

Con; It's in Japanese Not much of an Post-E4 story D; I would of like some more Team Plasma.

Raichupacabra

Villain
    Years
  • Pros:
    All the new Pokemon (Smugleaf, Pignite, and Wotter.)
    All the new features
    Its a challenge
    Animated sprites
    Good story

Cons:
    No cons. (I have never played Pt/HG/SS so I don't have to female dog about every feature that didn't make it.)

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    @locoroco actually you need one HM to complete the game, Cut. Without it you can't proceed the game after the 1st Gym

This is good news, I hate having to bring a HM Slave with me all the time. Now I can just use a Minezumi for this one job and be done with it until after I beat the elite four.

I like the idea of having the HMs mostly for after game stuff.

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
    Years
  • Pros:
    -Really good Pokemon for me.
    -Keeps a Pokemon feeling,even though it's got many changes.
    -GTS Negotiation, you can get many foreign Pokemon before the second gym!
    -Good Storyline
    -Amazing music in some points
    Cons:
    -The Game ends too quickly,after defeating E4 i feel there's nothing to do. >_<
    -The levels are crazy after E4.
    -There are some very annoying moments in the game which just eat your time.
    -Pokemon festivals >_<
    -Too easy. I beat the game very quickly,and Leaders have weak Pokemon.
    -Ridiculous evolution levels (I understand 40 but 60? Really?)

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • Pros: Great storyline, awesome new type combos

Cons: WAY to many standalone pokemon. All of those standalone pokemon could have had their own evos or pre evos if there wasn't so many. There are 14 standalone pokemon. 7 of those could've been a pre evo or evo for something.

Gl!tch

AFK
    Years
  • What would you have liked to see in Black and White

What would you have liked to have seen done in Black and White, that just never happened?

Personally, I was hoping for some more Eevee evolutions. As silly as it was every gen, I had finally got used to the idea.

Ghost type eevee D:

What do you guys think?

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I would have like to see a few features, (a couple introduced in HG/SS) Pokéathlon (as mentioned in the previous post) the follow me feature (Pokémon following you) Eeveelutions, maybe a rock & ground type, also the VS. Seeker as it's a hell of a lot harder to train without that thing and Gym rematches, but having said all them they're features that could be introduced in the 3rd game.

Back