• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Python Pokemon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years

• python_pokemon_by_pedro121-d4snmax.png

About Me.
    Well, some of you may know me from RH. I'm a programmer. And I despise RPGXP / RPGVX and Game Maker. And RH is just becoming annoying at this point. I'm a chill dude, and I write on a blog. I also write SOFTWARES. :)

Intro.

Here's the gist of this game: I don't know. As of now it is being written in Python. I am mostly working on the engine right now, and it is so early in development I haven't even began to work out a story-line or plot. Anyways I'll catch you up on what has been done so far, and what the future goal is. The future goal is a game playable on the GBA, and the computer with multi-player functions! What has been done so far is a text-based engine that isn't entirely complete. For now this is in Python. Why? Python is a great prototyping language that allows you to focus on the bigger picture rather than tiny details. Once I'm satisfied with my text-based python engine, I'll work on re-writing the text-based part in C++. Once I have that done comes the fun part. Programming the graphics / sound parts, which will be based on the C++ text project, but will differ in implementations. I've seen SDL libraries on the NDS and Wii, so heck, I might even go for that, but I doubt it. One cool thing about this game, is that there are TONS of random things!
    • Maps have random amounts of trainers in random spots, but still the option is there for statically placed trainers.
    • Trainers are randomly generated based on their class.
    The game is also slightly more realistic!
    • NPC's will battle other NPC's and become stronger ( only during run-time, however. )
    • Rival battles will be based on your party.
    • Better battle system. A battle consists of 'rounds' -- each 'round' evaluates the speed of all the pokemon currently active. If A speed is 6, and B speed is 4, A has a 60%(6/(4+6)) chance of it being his turn; B has a 40% chance ( 4/(4+6) ). Whoever goes, looses one speed for that round. Then it is re-calculated. What all that means is: You can get more than one turn in a row! ( Similar to FFX if you've played it. )
    • You can sacrifice a turn for a little bit of rest. ( Restores a small amount of HP / PP )
    • Status effects will FADE over time. Eg: The damage from poison slowly gets smaller, and smaller until it's gone completely. Paralyzation's hold on your pokemon will flux from minimal, to maximum, to minimal again. Sleep is more realistic, and you actually regain a little bit of health / pp from it.
    • You CAN have multiple status inflictions at the same time.
    • Any and every item can be bought ( well. Any items that aren't KEY items, anyways )
    • Doors will actually be locked from time to time!
    • The pokemon center will not be instant. The ER is free, but it only restores up to half of your Pokemon's stats, and cures status-inflictions. The main area will not be free. ( You only get into the ER by loosing a battle, btw ). When using the pokemon center, you have to withdraw a new party from your PC or you can pay to rent a few pokemon while yours recover.
    • You don't carry silly outdated paper money! Your trainer-card is wired strait into your bank account! You can go into debt with this, but bare in mind interest does accumulate, and eventually you will no longer be able to buy things until you pay your interest and debts, if you let it get to that point.
    • Badges are now special types of emblems. All emblems belong on your trainer card.
    • YOU have a class( Ace Trainer, Beauty, Cool Trainer, etc )
    • YOU have to eat to maintain YOUR OWN health ( maybe. I'm debating on this one )

Media.

Downloads.

If you'd like I can always upload the most current source ( not ready for a svn repository just yet ) and you can see for yourself what things look like from my end. Just send me a VM, and I'll do an upload. However, I only do one upload per day. :l So please check to see if I have uploaded recently before asking! (:

SVN Repository.

For those interested, you can grab the most recent updates by svn.
    ( READ-ONLY ):
    > svn checkout [B]http://fm-py-pk.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/[/B] fm-py-pk-read-only
    For linux users, install svn:
    > sudo apt-get install svn
    For Windows users, install svn.

Apply.

You want to help? GREAT! (:
    Here's a team I need as of now:
    • Ideas person. ( Please, keep things realistic and reasonable... :l )
    • Beta-tester
    • Co-programmer, perhaps?
    LATER, the team I will need:
    • Scripter
    • Mapper
    • Graphics Manager
    • Co-Storyline writer.
    • Beta-testers.

Credits.

Here's a list of awesome people! Thanks for your help guys! :)
    • Pedro - Support Images
    • Veekun - Sprite Collage of all the Pokemon -- even generation 5! Also, his database has been a HUGE help.
    • Knizz - Help and support in coding
    • Agent Geo - The very first Beta tester!
    • Kyledove - Tiles. See his "Fresh Beginnings" maps. :)

SVN Repository
    For those interested, you can grab the most recent updates by svn.
    ( READ-ONLY ):
    > svn checkout [B]http://fm-py-pk.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/[/B] fm-py-pk-read-only
    For linux users, install svn:
    > sudo apt-get install svn
    For Windows users, install svn.

Last edited:

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • I really like the sound of this, besides perhaps the new battle system.
    That's just me though, and in-game it wouldn't be so bad as it would online. Probably fun even.

I particularly like the persistent features, like the trainers whom battle each other when you aren't around, and the randomly generated classes. Stuff like that is where I feel the Pokémon series should be taking itself.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    I did flick through the thread, however is this intended to be a public resource of sorts or is this a solo project game you are working on? If it's the latter you'll need to repost it in the Beginner's Showcase with a storyline and other required features mentioned in the rules. However if you intend on this being a new engine for people to work with, it should be posted in the Tutorials & Resources once you have a release. I just need you to clarify this for me.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
    Years
  • Ah, I see. My apologies!
    Well, both. It is open source, and I am currently designing the engine.
    Once the engine is complete, I will then work on an actual game, which will be separate from the engine source.
    I hope this helps? :\

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2023
    Sounds like an interesting project. My game is also being developed in Python, it definitely is very awesome. Good luck!

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • Cool dude I dont like python but I do like what you've done with it.. I'd like to see how far you get with this...

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2013
    Pretty nice stuff you already have, I'm also a programmer and making a game in Java. I'm currently using Python as scripting language for it :p

Good luck with your project :)

Ho-oh 112

Advance Scripter
    Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2014
    You beat me to this.... So I'm making a Text-Rpg engine instead.

Ho-oh 112

Advance Scripter
    Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2014
    I can help with some minor scripts, also shouldn't you be compiling save data/maps/ect? (I'm guessing your not doing that currently from the view only svn...

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
    Years
  • Hum? I do have a sample map out right now, but thats' about it.
    And I also work with knizz quite frequently.
    @Ho-oh 112 - May I see some of your python code samples?

@pokemonpokemonpokemon59 -- I'll be sure to remember you once I reach that stage! Thanks! :)

Update.

Map Editor.

The map editor is now pretty much complete.

* Ignore that bug where the map got all glitchy at the end. I fixed it about 5 minutes after uploading the video. XD

Controls:
    escape- if a map is loaded, the editor is closed and you are returned to the editor
    Menu:
    up/down - moves cursor on the menu
    enter - select item​
    Editor:
    r - enter resize-mode
    left-click: set tile ( as long as the cursor is inside the map)
    right-click: select tile( if the cursor is inside the map)
    left-click: select tile ( if the cursor is in the palette of tiles on the right side)
    up/down/left/right key: pan the map -- this may be replaced with mouse kinetics. push the mouse wheel in your web browser to see what I mean.
    resize mode:
    u - decrease height
    j - increase height
    l - increase width
    k - decrease width
    enter - accept changes​

Last edited:

Ho-oh 112

Advance Scripter
    Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2014
    Right, here is a sample:

Code:
    from turtle import *
    def up():
        print("You pressed Up!")
    def down():
        print("You pressed Down!")
    def left():
        print("You pressed Left!")
    def right():
        print("You pressed Right!")
    def main():
        onkey(up, "Up")
        listen()
        onkey(down, "Down")
        listen()
        onkey(left, "Left")
        listen()
        onkey(right, "Right")
        listen()

main()
    mainloop()

not the best, but it's something also I do have rgss/php/lua/HTML/javascript knowledge and script in them well I've only started python a few weeks ago
    (just a few days before this thread was posted) in anycase, I can also convert arrays into strings/vice versa and then compile/decompile them using a custom-made compiler I'm working on...

EDIT: lol, forgot about Java...

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • Right, here is a sample:

Code:
    from turtle import *
    def up():
        print("You pressed Up!")
    def down():
        print("You pressed Down!")
    def left():
        print("You pressed Left!")
    def right():
        print("You pressed Right!")
    def main():
        onkey(up, "Up")
        listen()
        onkey(down, "Down")
        listen()
        onkey(left, "Left")
        listen()
        onkey(right, "Right")
        listen()

main()
    mainloop()
    not the best, but it's something also I do have rgss/php/lua/HTML/javascript knowledge and script in them well I've only started python a few weeks ago
    (just a few days before this thread was posted) in anycase, I can also convert arrays into strings/vice versa and then compile/decompile them using a custom-made compiler I'm working on...

EDIT: lol, forgot about Java...
    @Metal
    I like the new map editor and options you've added. Very nice.

@ Ho-oh
    That doesn't really prove anything, that could have been copied and pasted from somewhere. With all you extensive knowledge why aren't you learning a language like C or C++? Because Python is not widely used in the game development industry. Infact the only games made with Python worth mentioning are Battlefield2 and 1942 and Civ IV. However with your current knowledge you could be making money making websites if your as good as you say you are. I honestly dont believe you.

Ho-oh 112

Advance Scripter
    Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2014
    @ Ho-oh
    That doesn't really prove anything, that could have been copied and pasted from somewhere. With all you extensive knowledge why aren't you learning a language like C or C++? Because Python is not widely used in the game development industry. Infact the only games made with Python worth mentioning are Battlefield2 and 1942 and Civ IV. However with your current knowledge you could be making money making websites if your as good as you say you are. I honestly dont believe you.

Yeah I could but don't feel like it BECAUSE I'M HORRIBLE WITH GRAPHICS, I can't even make a simple .png file that looks almost close to horrible.... So doing that isn't worth it....

with my HTML knowledge I could make a simple text-only based website but I'm too lazy to start my own project from scratch and I'd prefer working as a co-programer/minor scripter rather than taking a whole project of which I might abandon fast.... (like the poke-essentials online I wanted to make....)

So that answers both, as of my Scripting knowledge I got bored and read those books from my basement. (except RGSS which I learned from rpgmaker XP)

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
    Years
  • Would you mind pasting the contents of 'turtle.py' ? Or is that a module I just don't know about?

I'm looking to see if you understand core concepts of OOP or not. My colleague ( for lack of better wording ) is very strict ( as well as knowledgeable ) about programming. He also maintains some of the code, just not as much as I do. So if you're going to work, you should be able to write code that he's not going to change.

@KingCharizard -- Try not putting him down so harshly. You're points are entirely valid, but it's not best to make assumptions. You can't judge a book by it's cover, and there's nothing more risky than a mind left un-opened. You'll do well to remember that.

-- Thanks for the feedback, guys! Right now I'm re-adjusting my map-rendering code because the code I had written was bad OOP. Therefor, I ran into problems with the design-flow when I introduced my map editor. I have fixed it -- mostly. I'm encountering some issues with positioning, but otherwise things are all well. :)
    I'll go ahead and commit for now. :o

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2023
    Infact the only games made with Python worth mentioning are Battlefield2 and 1942 and Civ IV. However with your current knowledge you could be making money making websites if your as good as you say you are. I honestly dont believe you.
    Actually Eve Online uses Python and they are pretty big.

Also looking at the source code it's a decent start. However, It'll need more organization as things grow.

Last edited:

Ho-oh 112

Advance Scripter
    Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2014
    Would you mind pasting the contents of 'turtle.py' ? Or is that a module I just don't know about?

Turtle comes with Python 3.2 (I'll paste them if they arn't in the lib folder)
    In anycase Turtle allows easy graphics drawing.

EDIT: For me it's located here: Python Root/Lib/turtledemo/
    IF You are talking about the turtle.py it's in: Python Root/Lib/turtle.py

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back