• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Cooltrainer Nick♂

Almost ready to battle again!
    Years
    Here's a good question.. ;D
    How come Ryhorn makes the same noise as Charizard?
    And Poliwag makes the same noise as Ditto?
    And Caterpie makes the same noise as Goldeen? [i think..]

xD

Johnny590

It's cute how you think I care
    Years
    If you're playing a ROM, you should transfer it to some sort of Flashcart, such as an R4DS or similar, that way you can activate WiFi.

If you don't have a Flashcart, you could try using a Save File Editor(Pokésav works great!), and i think NO$GBA has Action Replay built in right?
    If it has, then you can cheat yourself a Magmortar and some Evo-stones :)
    If using Pokésav, you can just open the Magmar in the Pokémon Modifier, and change it's Species to a Magmortar :)
    I did that on my R4 to get my Machoke to a Machamp

I found three evolutionary stones hidden in the Solaceon ruins. :D But I'm not gonna evolve Eevee into a Vaporeon until I find a decent water TM or until I find another water type. xD

I found out about pokésav by myself, and it is tempting, but I want to pass Platinum legit. :P

Even though using it for just one pokemon or items isn't wrong, right? xD

Also, I don't know how to use it, and I don't want to mess up what I have so far.

I'm gonna go to the emulation section and ask for help when it comes to my No$Gba.

Back to the questions, what is a good learnset for Torterra in game?

Earthquake, Leaf Storm, Synthesis, Crunch <---Is this a good one?

Last edited:
    Years
    There was the Nintendo World Darkrai back in June 2008. Also, the Toys 'R Us Darkrai in May 2008. In Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia, you could download a mission that would allow you to do a mission after beating the game and reaching lv. 10. It was available from December 2008 through Jan 2009. Since these are all over now, there is currently no legal way to obtain a Darkrai now other than by trading from someone who legally has it.

Years
    what do pokemon natures do?

for example: you have a buizel with a serious nature, a bidoof thats timid, or a starly thats rash (you guys get where im goin?)

exactly, what is this suppose to do for me in the game?

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
    Lol, it boosts one stat of a pokémon by 10%, but lowers another stat by 10%. For example, a Timid nature gives +10% to speed, but -10% to attack. This is helpful since pokémon that need speed but don't need attack can use a Timid nature, and get a boost in a stat they need without lowering a stat they need.

If you need to know more info, or which nature does what, you can find it here.

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2009
    Also of note, for the main story of the game, Natures can be ignored just fine. Natures also affect the flavor the Pokémon likes and dislike. These flavors go in homologue with the stats they get boosts of: Spicy = Attack, Tough = Defense, Smart = Sp.Def, Sweet = Speed, Dry = Sp.Atk.

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
    Years
    I know in some RPG's various characters have strengths or hinderances in certain stats. Perhaps in Pokemon, rather that just have those, they decided to make it a bit more fun by assigning a pair of strength/hinderance to a certain personality trait.

Also, may I point out that the text below the nature (i.e. "Mischievous" or "A little quick tempered") indicates which stat the Pokemon's highest IV, or "individual value" is in. Each Pokemon has an IV of 0 to 30 per stat, which boosts a stat by that number. The IV is fixed at the Pokemon's birth or time of capture, and there's no way to change it. The number of the IV's, and which stat has the highest IV, determines what the text says. I think there are guides somewhere on which texts correspond with which values, but I can't provide any such relationships offhand... I know "Mischievous" means the Pokemon's highest IV is in Special Attack, but that's about it...

Some Pokemon like to use these nature values to help them nickname their Pokemon. For example, I have a Roserade named William--the "will" part of his name makes sense because he has a Hardy nature and is "Strong-willed". I also have an Absol with a Serious nature, and his nickname is Sirius. XD Of course, sometimes this naming thing gets annoying--for example, I have a Gallade and want to give him a heroic-sounding name, but that goes against his Naughty nature and the fact that he "Often dozes off"... >_<

Years
    I know in some RPG's various characters have strengths or hinderances in certain stats. Perhaps in Pokemon, rather that just have those, they decided to make it a bit more fun by assigning a pair of strength/hinderance to a certain personality trait.

Also, may I point out that the text below the nature (i.e. "Mischievous" or "A little quick tempered") indicates which stat the Pokemon's highest IV, or "individual value" is in. Each Pokemon has an IV of 0 to 30 per stat, which boosts a stat by that number. The IV is fixed at the Pokemon's birth or time of capture, and there's no way to change it. The number of the IV's, and which stat has the highest IV, determines what the text says. I think there are guides somewhere on which texts correspond with which values, but I can't provide any such relationships offhand... I know "Mischievous" means the Pokemon's highest IV is in Special Attack, but that's about it...

Some Pokemon like to use these nature values to help them nickname their Pokemon. For example, I have a Roserade named William--the "will" part of his name makes sense because he has a Hardy nature and is "Strong-willed". I also have an Absol with a Serious nature, and his nickname is Sirius. XD Of course, sometimes this naming thing gets annoying--for example, I have a Gallade and want to give him a heroic-sounding name, but that goes against his Naughty nature and the fact that he "Often dozes off"... >_<
    So, to sum up everything you just said, some traits increase certain stats while other decrease them... right?

Mages4ever

Looking for a Challenge!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2012
    Simply Put.
    Natures increase and decrease a stat by 10%.
    Each nature increases and decreases one stat.
    There are 5 Natures that do nothing, because they increase and decrease the same stat by 10%.

Mages4ever

Looking for a Challenge!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2012
    West Sea is Pink and White, East Sea is Blue and Green.
    As for distinction of the areas, not really sure. Just try it out?

MechaTrickster

Another person in the world
    Years
    super rod pokemon help.

Anyone know any guides or pages that list obtainable pokemon with the super rod and their locations? Yes I tryed google too many wheres the super rod questions.

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2013
    Transferring pokemon from gen III to gen IIII

Whats up everybody. So I just found my old fire red and ruby versions and they have a lot of pokemon I want to play with on platinum.

I'm about 3 gym leaders through platinum so I don't know if I'm to the point yet, but is there a way to transfer my old pokemon with one NDS?

Thanks!

Inferno1

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    nope lol u have to finish the elite four and complete the sinnoh dex and then you get a new place called pal park and then u can transfer pokemon

MurdaRisk

Ninja Assassin
    Years
    Not sure where to post this but i have 2 event pokemon that i question if they are legit and i was wondering if you guys could help me out in determine if they are not legit. Everything looks ok with both pokes except for the ID no. and date. First one is Alamos Darkrai Its ID no is 10308 and the date captured was oct 31 2008. The last one is a TRU Shaymin its id no is 02089 and its captured date was Mar 27 2009.
    Thanks for the help

Back