• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Years
    I have a question regarding power items. When a Pokémon is holding one of these, it still has to fight a Pokémon that gives the correct kind of EVs to have an effect, right? For example, if a Pokémon holding a power weight fights a Magikarp, it will still get 1 Speed EV, not 4 Attack EVs, correct?
    I'm pretty sure it always add 4 EVs of whatever the item gives.
    I think I'm having a(nother) stupid moment...
    but, according to Bulbapedia, legendary Pokemon reappear where they're usually found a week after originally fainting them in battle, but they don't reappear if you capture them. A few weeks ago I'm pretty sure I *fled* from Azelf, saw it go back into its cavern, and now it's not there. How do I get it to come back? >_>
    A few sources have said that I need to re defeat the Elite Four for them to reappear, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious here.
    It's reasonable to assume that defeating the Elite Four will trigger an event that will facilitate their return. But did you check the day after when Azelf returned? Did you check exactly a week after that? It might just be like Drifloon's case.
    Question reguarding SID's; To find my own, I need to have caught my own shiny pokemon and get it's IV's right? Can I use the event Pichachu to find my SID? And if not, is there any other way to find it? :L

Thanks in advance
    From a quick search, it seems the only way to obtain these secret IDs is to use a cheat code of sorts. But if you can find a calculator somewhere, I'm sure any Pokemon you've caught/hatched yourself would work. I don't think an event Pikachu would work in this case if the trainer ID on that Pokemon is different, since the secret ID is a part of your Trainer ID.
    But you can take my words with a grain of salt if you'd like. I'm not an expert on this or anything.

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    how do i get the gts to display 7 trainers rather than 5?

Last edited:

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    It's reasonable to assume that defeating the Elite Four will trigger an event that will facilitate their return. But did you check the day after when Azelf returned? Did you check exactly a week after that? It might just be like Drifloon's case.
    Well, I caught Uxie on March 27th, and I know that I went right to Azelf after I caught Uxie, which means it would have been two weeks (and a day) ago. I sort of assumed that when they reappear a week later they'd just chill there until I decided to go back and bother them some more. I'll try re-defeating the Elite Four and see if that does anything.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2010
    I'm an old time red and blue veteran who bought platinum with the hopes of finally being able to play Pokemon online with other players. I raced through the game, EV trained my Pokemon the entire way, and now that I've reached the end I am STILL unsure how to play people online. I was very disappointed to find out that you are not playing real people in the wifi battle tower; only their pokemon. (you're so damn cheap Nintendo! What the heck is the point of that?). Do you need to get friend codes to play online? If so, how do you get them? Is there a community out there more focused on the competitive aspects of Pokemon? Do all my pokemon need to be lvl 100? Does anyone play lvl 50 caps on wifi? If I'm looking for PvP, do I need to buy either Heartgold or Soulsilver? Is there a ranking system?

Basically my question can be summed up like this: I bought Platinum to enjoy the competitive side of Pokemon online. Have I wasted my money and time? Did Nintendo fail the online portion of this game like they have others? (*cough*, *cough*, Brawl)

Also, how do you progress past the Battle Frontier? That is where I am now in the game and I am unsure what to do next. Do I need to beat all the towers or something?

edit: One last thing. How do you change the appearance of your character in online interactions?

Where do I train lvl 55/56 Empoleon?!
    Staravia lvl 42.
    my gawd, i got to the elite 4, and i'm getting cleaned on the 2nd elite.
    PLEASE HALP!

I'm new here and no expert, but I think you need to have a team of Pokemon around the same level, instead of just two. I fell into that same problem when I first played through red and blue. I beat the whole game using only Ivysaur!!! 0.o, granted I was pretty young lol. Anyway, the point is you should have a few more pokemon of different types, at higher levels, if you don't want to struggle with the elite four. Here's an example of my team. Again, keep in mind I'm not an expert.

Infernape, lvl 62 (fire,fighting)-jolteon, lvl 53 (lighting)- Alakazam, lvl 55 (psychic)-gyrados, lvl 51 (water, dragon)- Staraptor, lvl 48 (flying)- giratina, lvl 52 (ghost, dragon).

I just finished the elite four. This is the team I used. Notice that the weakest one I have is stronger than your second strongest. You have some training to do!

Last edited:
    Years
    I'm an old time red and blue veteran who bought platinum with the hopes of finally being able to play Pokemon online with other players. I raced through the game, EV trained my Pokemon the entire way, and now that I've reached the end I am STILL unsure how to play people online. I was very disappointed to find out that you are not playing real people in the wifi battle tower; only their pokemon. (you're so damn cheap Nintendo! What the heck is the point of that?). Do you need to get friend codes to play online? If so, how do you get them? Is there a community out there more focused on the competitive aspects of Pokemon? Do all my pokemon need to be lvl 100? Does anyone play lvl 50 caps on wifi? If I'm looking for PvP, do I need to buy either Heartgold or Soulsilver? Is there a ranking system?

Basically my question can be summed up like this: I bought Platinum to enjoy the competitive side of Pokemon online. Have I wasted my money and time? Did Nintendo fail the online portion of this game like they have others? (*cough*, *cough*, Brawl)

Also, how do you progress past the Battle Frontier? That is where I am now in the game and I am unsure what to do next. Do I need to beat all the towers or something?

edit: One last thing. How do you change the appearance of your character in online interactions?

1. Yes you need FCs. Just ask various people on this forum for them. Alternatively, Net Battle and Shoddy Battle for computer simulation purposes and playing people online.
    2. Smogon is the most associated place when serious competitive battling comes to mind.
    3. No need to have all lv. 100s; wi-fi lets you have lv. 100s for the battle if you choose.
    4. You can ask if people want to play lv. 50 or not. When there's already lv. 100 though, there's not really a point.
    5. You can battle on wi-fi even from Diamond and Pearl.
    6. There is A ranking system. It's just for silly stuff like Pokemon caught, eggs hatched, etc.
    7. Your money and time is well invested in those priorities.
    8. The wi-fi is decent enough. Nowhere near as horrible as Brawl rest assured.
    9. There's nothing really past the Battle Frontier; that's the last thing to do in-game, really.
    10. Go to the Oreburgh Pokemon Center and talk to one of the guys there.

Hopefully this clarifies some things.

Years
    I know 255 is the max amount one stat can have (im talking about evs), but my pokemon has 248.

He has pokerus and the brace thing (the one that gives +4 to attack evs), so if i kill one machop and get 10 evs will 3 be wasted and unusable, or will it just not use the last 3 for anything?

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2010
    I was wondering if someone could help me. Just by looking at the stats, would you say my pokemon is hacked?

Attack: 183 Defense:168 Sp.Atk:108 Sp.Def:148 Speed:116

Thats just one of the pokemon. Its a Torterra. PM me with answers please.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Where do I train lvl 55/56 Empoleon?!
    Staravia lvl 42.
    my gawd, i got to the elite 4, and i'm getting cleaned on the 2nd elite.
    PLEASE HALP!

What the--!? You trained only two Pokemon and they're so weak? o_o

@ABOVE, might want to tell us a little more?

Although its speed looks mighty high... Tell me, does it have a Quiet nature? If it does, it should be okay...

Tree_x

Breeder
    Years
    What the--!? You trained only two Pokemon and they're so weak? o_o

@ABOVE, might want to tell us what level it is...?

Wtf.......how on gods green earth did you get that far with 2 pokes...Anyways might wanna raise like 4 more to there 60s

I was wondering if someone could help me. Just by looking at the stats, would you say my pokemon is hacked?

Attack: 183 Defense:168 Sp.Atk:108 Sp.Def:148 Speed:116

Thats just one of the pokemon. Its a Torterra. PM me with answers please.

it is impossible to know without the the level and with awful stats like that who cares..

Years
    @Jordan: So if I have a caught/hatched Pokemon, regardless of if its Shiny or not, I can use a calculator to find my SID?

Also, am I allowed to ask someone to find it for me here? (Not HERE, here. I mean on another sub-forum or something.)

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2023
    Hey
    The name rater won't let me nickname my shiny pokemon can someone tell me why please

chillxd

メインモシ
    Years
    Quick question, since I'm new to chaining with the Pokeradar and Trainer Counter.

Question is, if my Poketch suddenly loses count for no reason, would the chain still be present?

Coz I chained 47 Starly last night (I was just trying the chain thing,) trying to reach chain 50 before resetting for shinies.

Then at chain 48, after pwning the wild Starly from Pokeradar, the chain on my Poketch app broke. I know that the Poketch app suddenly "loses count" of your chain.

I wonder if the chain I had was still present in-game, just not in the Trainer Counter? Or do I have to start over when this happens? D:

Back