• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    I have made a mistake the moves passed down were not egg moves, but they weren't level up moves either. Baby murkrow hatched with a jap ditto ( trying for shiny). It knew dark pulse the Tm I do not know if this is unheard of but it happened, it also hatched learning fly so an egg moved was not passed down but others were. I did not and do not see how as Ditto can not learn shadow ball thus breaking another rule of breeding, but my game says what it says sorry for any insuing confusion on my part .

Edit: just took a look at Murkrow on of the moves is a level up move sorry about that (wing attack)

Last edited:

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    I have made a mistake the moves passed down were not egg moves, but they weren't level up moves either. Baby murkrow hatched with a jap ditto ( trying for shiny). It knew dark pulse the Tm I do not know if this is unheard of but it happened, it also hatched learning fly so an egg moved was not passed down but others were. I did not and do not see how as Ditto can not learn shadow ball thus breaking another rule of breeding, but my game says what it says sorry for any insuing confusion on my part .
    TMs/HMs are passed down the same way egg moves are. Assuming the Murkrow/Honchkrow you used to breed with the Japanese Ditto knew those moves and was a male, then the offspring would hatch with Dark Pulse/Fly/Shadow Ball.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    ^as said my bad I used dented logic ( the ditto is always the mother thus if a female is in there with it it would be forced to become the male I misread some things andd have since apologized for my misleading post )

anyway moving on to a different question is there any site or guide that would tell me what the "judge's" little sayings are in platinum IV wise

Ru-Kun

bleh...
    Years
    Yes. Not limited to Zigzagoon/Linoone and occurs some of the time. Seems to happen to Pokemon of one ability in GBA titles that gained a second in DS games. My GBA Ursaring Guts became a Quick Feet in DS... Wish my Scizor from XD Scyther got Technician...

Thanks, I guess my master plan is under way now......

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    Can someone give me an in-depth explantation of egg moves? I just don't get it -.-
    Strictly egg moves isn't really that complicated.

Let's say I want a Chikorita that knows Vine Whip. I have a level 30 male Carnivine that knows Vine Whip. Male VW Carnivine + Female Chikorita (or its evolutions) = Chikorita with Vine Whip.
    This works because Carnivine is in the Plant Egg Group. Chikorita is in both Monster and Plant. The parents must be in the same egg group in order for them to breed and pass on egg moves.

Now if I only have a female Carnivine that knows Vine Whip and only male Chikoritas, then I have to do more breeding on the side to get it to work. I'd have to breed Carnivine with a Ditto until I got a male one, then level that male Carnivine up to 11 to learn Vine Whip. I'd also have to breed Chikorita until I got a female Chikorita.
    This stands true because it is impossible for the mother (female) of the group to pass on egg moves. Only the father (male) can do so. The mother determines the species. Female VW Carnivine + Male Chikorita = Carnivines.

Chain breeding gets a little more complicated.

A while ago I wanted to breed a female Snorunt that knows Spikes. There aren't any immediate members in Snorunt's egg groups (Fairy/Mineral) that learn Spikes from leveling up. However, Roselia (Fairy/Plant) can learn Spikes by breeding with a Cacnea (Plant/Humanshape). Cacnea learns Spikes at level 33, or I could go find a male one in the wild that knows Spikes.

Male Cacnea/Cacturne with Spikes + Female Roselia = Male Roselia with Spikes
    Male Roselia with Spikes + Female Snorunt = Female Snorunt with Spikes

That's a really short chain in terms of egg move breeding though. Some of them can take a lot longer. Once you add in the time it takes to breed for the right gender, especially those with an uneven ratio of male to female, it can take some time. RNG makes it easier to breed the right gender though.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    alright If I have a butterfree in the first slot of my party and its fainted will I still have the field effect from its Compound eyes ability

Years
    kso.

because im such a nerd =D i have studied .. but i still need to know the difference between males and females in battle if any... reading an earlier post(@ shookie Thank you =D in the thread i learned the egg thing... but back in the day for pearl my buddy said he only uses males because they have higher attack stats :S i dont know if this is true but i would like to know.

and im not sure if i want my ttar to have

thunder
    fire blast
    surf
    and stone edge or blizzard

any ideas?

Last edited:

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    Your buddy's system is pretty flawed, there's no difference stat-wise between male/female Pokémon of the same species. A male Torchic has the same base stats as a female Torchic.

The only differences between genders are their role in breeding, and, in some species, cosmetics and/or what they evolve into.

Since Generation I had no genders this was true due to a whole complex system that went on behind the scenes. Unless your friend is playing exclusively first Gen games, though, then he's mistaken.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Is there a Pokemon that can learn Substitute, Belly Drum, and Baton Pass? Preferably level up. I'm sure there's something. I'm gonna Sketch them to Smeargle in a double battle or something. I'd like to not have to level up a bunch of different Pokemon just for those moves. :( Linoone comes to mind here, though. But I don't think he gets Baton Pass.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Hmm. Well, what can learn those level up? I already know Shroomish or Parasect can get Spore, that's why I didn't mention it. I already know who can learn Baton Pass and Belly Drum, but any clue for Substitute? I feel like I've used the TM already, but I'm not sure.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    Clefairy, Lickitung, Chansey, Kangaskhan, Snorlax, Lapras, Sentret, Togepi, Marill, Zigzagoon, Skitty, Plusle, Minun, Spoink and Absol can all learn by breeding, too.

Technically speaking if the Pokémon you have with Substitute is male, it can breed that onto other Pokes as well.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    2000 coins? Awesome sauce. I already got my Belly Drummer, Baton Passer is leveling up, and I'm trying to catch my Spore Pokemon right now. Thank you very much, guys! :)

Clefairy, Lickitung, Chansey, Kangaskhan, Snorlax, Lapras, Sentret, Togepi, Marill, Zigzagoon, Skitty, Plusle, Minun, Spoink and Absol can all learn by breeding, too.

Oh my. I barely have the patience to level up. I couldn't breed them for it. XD

Years
    Your buddy's system is pretty flawed, there's no difference stat-wise between male/female Pokémon of the same species. A male Torchic has the same base stats as a female Torchic.

The only differences between genders are their role in breeding, and, in some species, cosmetics and/or what they evolve into.

Since Generation I had no genders this was true due to a whole complex system that went on behind the scenes. Unless your friend is playing exclusively first Gen games, though, then he's mistaken.

thank you i've been trying to find the answer on the internet for days now... to add to my notes :$ another question for you since you seem to be the go to person for breeding.. can you breed any move onto any pokemon as long as they are compatable pokemon?

Years
    If the offspring is able to learn the move via level up, TM/HM, or Egg move, then yes. Otherwise no.

thanks

on another note >>;

can anyone explain characteristics to me? i saw this big confusing table about them some where but forgot to fave the page and couldnt write it all down

also i bred a male rattata with a female the male had endeavor as its third move should the hatched rattata not have endeavor..? cuz it has tackle and tail whip.. :S

Last edited:
    Back