• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Here is something I have been wondering about.

If I EV trained one of my monsters early on, and now they are at level 50, will they have the same stats as if I kept training them to 100 and then they were bumped down back to 50 (say for battle tower or something of that sort)?

I am wondering because I heard somewhere that even when you are done EV training the effects won't fully kick in until it is trained up completely.

EVs are conserved.
    That is, it would be like you had given it 510 EVs at level 1 (by some stroke of impossibility) and began to raise it to 50.

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
    Years
    Can a Pokemon change abilities when it evolves into its next stage? For example, can a Intimidate Growlithe evolve into a Flash Fire Arcanine? This is what happened to me, can someone please help?

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Can a Pokemon change abilities when it evolves into its next stage? For example, can a Intimidate Growlithe evolve into a Flash Fire Arcanine? This is what happened to me, can someone please help?

During normal evolution, a Pokemon's ability will not change, with a few exceptions.

The following are the cases when a Pokemon's ability will change:

1. Both the pre-evolved and evolved forms have two distinct lines of abilities. The Pokemon will follow the line and will not deviate.
    For example, Shinx, Luxio, and Luxray have line A (Intimidate) or line B (Rivalry). Intimidate Shinx will only become Intimidate Luxio; Rivalry Shinx will only become Rivalry Luxio.​

2. Both the pre-evolved and evolved forms have two distinct lines of abilities, but one or both changes upon evolution.
    For example, Yanma and Yanmega have line A (Speed Boost) and line B (Compoundeyes > Tinted Lens). Only Yanma with Compoundeyes evolve into Tinted Lens Yanmega.
    -- Similarly, only Porygon2 with Trace evolve into Adaptability Porygon-Z and only Rock Head Rhydon evolve into Solid Rock Rhyperior.​

3. The pre-evolved form has one ability, but the evolution has two. You have a 50% chance to get either ability. I can't recall an example.

4. The evolved form has one ability, which is different than what the pre-evolved form has. The Pokemon will obviously get the new ability, regardless of how many abilities the pre-evolved form has.
    Duskull has Levitate, but Dusclops has Pressure. Duskull loses Levitate upon evolving.
    Snorunt has both Inner Focus and Ice Body, but Froslass only has Snow Cloak. Snorunt loses its ability upon evolving.​

5. A Pokemon is migrated from GBA to DS, its species gained a new ability in DPPt, the Pokemon is not fully evolved, and its evolution has two abilities. You have a chance to learn the new ability.
    An example is Clefairy: in RSEFRLG, Clefairy only had Cute Charm, but in DPPt, it also has Magic Guard. When transferring over the Pokemon, it will have Cute Charm, but when you evolve it, it may learn Magic Guard (depending on a hidden personality value). However, if the Clefairy was caught in DPPt and had Cute Charm, it will only have Cute Charm; likewise, Magic Guard Clefairy will always become Magic Guard Clefable.

There is no way to alter this change; if you want a Cute Charm DS Clefable, but your Cute Charm GBA Clefairy evolves into Magic Guard DS Clefable then it will always evolve into Magic Guard DS Clefable. You can get around this by evolving the Pokemon in the GBA BEFORE migrating, since a Pokemon will not change ability unless it evolves.

Some Pokemon who learned new abilities in DPPt and cannot evolve will not change abilities no matter what. For example, Miltank only had Thick Fat in GBA, but in DS, it learned Scrappy. It can't obtain Scrappy as its ability if it is migrated.​

Last edited:

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Has it been official yet? Is Garchomp and Uber or an OU? Because Serebii is saying it is not and Smogon and all these other random sites are saying Garchomp is an Uber.

Garchimacera has been Uber for a long time now.
    The reasoning behind it is that the bastard is simply too powerful.

Years
    What happens to the Mystery Gift if you delete a game?

I want to get a new game, but I have a mystery gift that I absolutely do not want to get rid of, so, my question is this... what will happen if I delete my game. Will the mystery gift vanish just like everything else or will it survive?

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    In case you wish to follow up on this, I'll merge it with the Quick Questions and Answers thread. Please be sure to ask any further questions in that thread. ^^

Merges with Quick Questions & Answers thread~

Milke

Chill it an' spill it.
    Years
    It IS possible to do all of the Platinum Battle Facilities on WiFi, right?

Because I'm getting a nagging feeling that the lady in pink is waiting for a LOCAL WIRELESS person and not over WiFi. How do I go online at, say, the Battle Hall?

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    It IS possible to do all of the Platinum Battle Facilities on WiFi, right?

Because I'm getting a nagging feeling that the lady in pink is waiting for a LOCAL WIRELESS person and not over WiFi. How do I go online at, say, the Battle Hall?

That would be because the attendant in the actual Battle Facilities is for local wireless. To play at the Battle Frontier over Wi-Fi, you actually need to enter the usual Wi-Fi room in the Pokemon Center basement, then select the option from the screen nearby.

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2015
    About Transfering From D/P to Platinum

is it easy to transfer your D/P pokemon to your platinum game? for example, if I wanna use charmander as my starter instead of Chimchar, I could trade it from D/P with no evolution problems in Platinum. I know this might sound kinda noobish, but I'm planning on buying platinum soon and it would be cool if I could transfer all my breed pokemon to the game.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Transferring Pokemon from Diamond or Pearl over to Platinum is no more or less difficult than any trade. No, there are no problems trading any Pokemon to Platinum early on, aside from any restrictions left by not having any badges.

Years
    There is no exit to the cave, it's just a bunch of dead ends. In case you're wondering where to take Mira, just take her back to entrance where you came from.

Also, it should be noted that there's a secret entrance to the cave hidden by cycling road that takes you to a different part of the cave where you can catch Gible. You'll need Strength. Just in case you didn't know.

Back