• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Hey guys. So after the adventure of catching Heatran in Stark Mountain.. whats next? Fill the National Dex? I'm speaking in a general manner, I am already on a quest of catching the other Legendaries.

There are a lot more things you can do in the game besides the filling the National Pokédex. Filling the National Dex would be one of the things you can do. Contests, the Battle Tower and the Battle Frontier [Only available in Pokémon Platinum] are a few thing you can do in the game. Catching legendaries would be another thing as well. In Pokémon Platinum you can catch Articuno, Moltres and Zapdos. In my conjecture, the best thing to do is go in random cities/towns and see what you can do there.

what exactly is EV training? I hear people chatting about things "I want an Ev trained pokemon" and such and it's a bit confusing

EV training is basically when you get your pokémon stats to be a lot more higher than when you train normally. For more information on EV training, you can visit: Here.

Last edited:

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Also, what is the use of the tiny mushrooms and the big mushrooms in D/P/Pt
    are they commplety useless items?

For D/P/Pt, the tiny mushrooms and big mushrooms are basically just to sell and gain money. Unlike FRLG and RSE there was never a given purpose for them in the fourth generation games.

dark_giratina

Being of Emotion
    Years
  • Ok i have a few questions
    1)How do you keep track of the EVs u put on your pokemon
    2)How do you get the hiiden power to be a certain type(like fire or rock for instance)
    3)Where do you get the chaining app from
    4)Whats a hypotenuse:)

jjeangi

It's me...
    Years
  • Ok i have a few questions
    2)How do you get the hiiden power to be a certain type(like fire or rock for instance)

1. You count. For ever poke you kill of a certain EV, that's one EV.
    4. The long side of the right triangle. Usually calculated with the Pythagorean theorem which states: a^2 + b^2 = c^2. You would then find the square root of c^2, and thus your resultant is C, which is well, the hypotenuse. :)

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Ok i have a few questions
    2. You have to IV breed for the correct IVs; in Platinum, there's a guy in the Game Corner exchange that tells you a Pokémon's Hidden Power type.
    3. I think you get it from Professor Oak at the same time as the Poké Radar... So in Pal Park, after getting the National Dex. If not, try talking to him again in Eterna City.
    For D/P/Pt, the tiny mushrooms and big mushrooms are basically just to sell and gain money. Unlike FRLG and RSE there was never a given purpose for them in the fourth generation games.
    I think they'll probably use them in HG/SS for the move relearner, like in FR/LG... I haven't seen any traces of the Underground reappearing, and Luvdisc probably won't be findable...

Gengarkid

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2009
    Question on EV training (Pokemon Pearl)??

Ok I was EV training my Empoleon today and I gave it Power Lens (Boosts Sp. A) and it has Pokerus.

Before It gained a level its stats were (It was lv 70 at first):
    HP: 112
    A: 144
    D: 133
    Sp. A: 148
    Sp. D: 179
    Speed: 100

But, after it gained the first level it gained this much
    HP:+7
    A: +5
    D:+7
    Sp.A:+41
    Sp.D:+3
    Speed: +11

Then i was like wtf (Because i ddint know it could go up that much)

Then i battled more people and it leveled up again (to lv72)

then it gained this much:

HP: +3
    A: +3
    D: +3
    SP.A:+3
    SP.D:+3
    SPEED:+3

Is that normal when you EV train? Has that ever happened to u?

Gengarkid

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2009
    EV training????????

What are some good places to EV Sp. A training? Like what Pokemon i should battle, and what trainers.

Years
  • Gastly at the Old Chateau gives 1 sp. atk EV. Also, it's the only Pokemon there so that makes it easy.
    Also, Surfing at the resort area has Golduck almost all of the time and they give 2 sp. atk EVs.

Years
  • 1. Coincidence.
    2. Your female Pokemon/Ditto is holding an everstone, which increases the chance of its own nature being passed down by 50%.

Likely the first one based on your scenario.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2009
    [Plt] GRAH!!

I'm currently stuck at a few things on my Pokemon Platinum.
    I really hope I can get some advice and hints from all you gorgeous people!

The first would be defeating Team Galactics leader, Cyrus.
    My strongest current pokemon I have with me are:
    Umbreon, Froslass, Ponyta, Steelix && Luxray.

All my attempts at defeating him have failed though...

The second would be, what is the best technique/pokeballs to use
    to capture the three lake creatures: Mesprit, Azelf, Uxie.

And lastly, how do I get my hands on an Azure Flute? ^_^;;;

Thanks to all those who read and responed.
    You're wonderful!

Imagine.

Escaping Beyond Hope
    Years
    • Age 27
    • GBR
    • Seen Oct 28, 2015
    Hmm.. well for starters you should be using a basic EV Training guide found here (CLICK). Yes this is pretty normal for me. I EV Train my pokemon to level 18 and they have exactly 252Spreads. You should use an EV check AR code for tons of help and saves you the trouble of the effort ribbon.

Kagura

..what?
    Years

• The first would be defeating Team Galactics leader, Cyrus.
    My strongest current pokemon I have with me are:
    Umbreon, Froslass, Ponyta, Steelix && Luxray.

The thing I always do is make sure my Pokemon are at least 3-5 levels higher than my opponents. You can try moves that lower a specific stat of theirs, or have the type advantage against them. Additionally, you can induce status moves on them. Paralysis halves their speed, and theres a chance they can't act on their turn. Poison hurts them each turn, and so does Burn. Just keep trying, if not, keep training. Good luck!

The second would be, what is the best technique/pokeballs to use
    to capture the three lake creatures: Mesprit, Azelf, Uxie.

The best chances you have against them is either chancing it with a Quick Ball at the beginning of the battle, or use Dusk Balls, which work great at Caves/Night time. If those fail to work, get Azelf and Uxie down in the red, and try a status move like Paralysis or Sleep, never Poison or Confuse them though.

As for Mespirit, its like the 3 dogs of Johto. You can either use a Master Ball, or try a speedy Pokemon with Mean Look (I think) so it cannot escape from battle, since it will. Then use the Azelf/Uxie method. If not, then every chance you meet Mespirit, wear down its health, it may take awhile though. Use Ultra balls if its not at Nighttime.

And lastly, how do I get my hands on an Azure Flute? ^_^;;;
    You have to do it via Mystery Gift. Its a rare occasion though, or an Event. I am not totally sure on this one, you might want to want for more answers.

Thanks to all those who read and responed.
    Anytime, however next time, please use the stick for Quicky Questions and Answers if you can. :)

Last edited:

Imagine.

Escaping Beyond Hope
    Years
    • Age 27
    • GBR
    • Seen Oct 28, 2015
    Hey, Excel. I think you should use Dusk Balls for the capturing of Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf. I think it would be wise to buy at least 50. For quick cash you can VS seeker spam the rich boy near Sunyshore City beach. Azure Flute can only be found by using a hacking and it wouldn't be nice to have a hacked game. But if you really want one you should go on here to purchase an AR. To defeat Cyrus, using hyper potions and super potions would be wise and just stalling him out. Hope i've helped you pal.
    You can always super train your pokémon, just by raising your pokémon a few more levels.

groudonlover

Mateus readies Hellfire...
    Years
  • Which of the Cyrus battles are you on?
    The Celestic Ruins battle or the Spear Pillar one?

And 50 Dusk balls isn't enough, you should try getting 99(i always have 99 in my bag, sort of standard equipment!)
    A Crobat is a good Pokémon to use Mean Look with, since it's one of the speediest Pokémons in the world, and all of it's 3 stages can learn Mean Look.
    All of the Lake Trio Pokés have 3 in Catch Rate, which means at full health with no statuses, you would have a 3% chance of capturing it in a regular Pokéball, and even at low health with Dusk Balls at night + Sleep it'll be a hard catch!

Back