• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Years
  • I have two questions concerning Pokemon Platinum

First, How do I go about erasing a saved game? I hit Up, Select, B and it did not erase the previously saved game
    Did you try doing that while on the Giratina screen at the beginning? Just saving over it is the only other option, I believe.
    Also, This question is about WiFi.
    My Router used WPA2-PSK as the security and the DS says to enter the WEP key,
    Does my router HAVE to be using WEP security or can I still use WPA2-PSK security?
    Thanks in Advanced!
    Only the DSi can use WPA2-PSK security, or a regular/Lite with a USB connector I believe (not sure on the second one).

Syrex

[b][i][COLOR=black][font=Rock Salt][glow=green]Hen
    Years
  • Ah. Thank you. I got the game to erase... Now I just hope if I use the usb cord that I can use wifi...

Edit:
    How about I configure my DS if I can use the USB cord?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I just got the new AR for the DSi and I'm trying to use the 90 of all TMs code. It says to press UP+L+R but idk when.

Zacceh

Another day in the life of...
    Years
  • Since I can't find it - EV Explanation Please?

Here's what I actually understand about EV training thus far:

EV stands for effort values. They're values obtained through gaining experience from defeating Pokemon. Example: Per Zubat defeated (without Power Items, Brace, or PKRUS), you gain 1 effort point.

There is a max of 510 EVs across the board (totaled up from HP, Attack, Defense, Sp. Attack, Sp. Defense, Speed), and a max of 255 per each stat.

Here's where I begin to get confused: I hear that per 4 Effort Points gained in a single skill -- I'll use HP as my example, since that's what I'm currently working on -- you add 1 more point. So say:

You defeat 4 Bidoofs for a total of 4 Effort Points in HP
    After the 4th Point is accumulated, you add one more. From 4 Bidoofs, you've gained 5 Effort Points in HP. Is this correct?

So with PokéRus, you defeat 16 Bidoofs for a total of 32 HP EV's without factoring in the 5th Effort Point per 4.
    32/4 = 8
    Add the factored 8 into the subtotal (correct terminology?) of 32 for 40

So from the 16 Bidoofs, you've accumulated 40 EV's in HP.

If there is an error in this, let me know. I'm working on training my Ralts into a Gallade... This is the only time I've ever bothered to EV Train a Pokémon, and I wanna make sure I'm getting it right before I get too terribly frustrated and just quit.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • Oh no, you don't actually add an extra HP EV for every 4 EVs gained.
    For every 4 HP EVs you gain from fighting Bidoofs, that means 1 extra point towards your pokemon's actual HP stat.

So like, you know when you level up you see all your stats go up?
    When it says in a box;
    HP +3
    Attack +2
    Defense +3
    etc etc...
    That extra 1 point towards your HP that you gained from 4 HP EVs will show up there.

For every 4 EVs = 1 point towards that stat being trained in.

Also; EV trained stats do not show results immediately, unless they're being EV trained past level 30 or-so.
    So don't fret if it seems like your pokemon isn't gaining it's EVs, they're just being spread out through levels.

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    You should be able to use it the second you turn on your game, and the TMs should appear...

Naw it's telling me I have to press UP+L+R I did that at the top of the TM pocket and nothing happened.

While I'm on the subject does anyone know a code to make my party Pokémon have all perfect IVs.

Zacceh

Years
  • Oh. So we'll say:

1 Bidoof defeated for 1 HP EV
    24 Exp. Gained
    Pidgey leveled up to level 2!

So from that defeated Bidoof, Pidgey is now 1/4 of the way to having more HP.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • In a way, yes;
    EVs aren't a necessity. Without EV training the HP of your pokemon will still grow.

You just have 1 HP EV on that pidgey now. When you gain 3 more, you will get an extra +1 in HP in one of your future levels.

Sine your pokemon can gain a max of 255 EVs in one stat, say that you trained that pidgey to have it's HP maxed with 255 EVs.
    That means when it's level 100, it will have gained an extra 63.75 HP. (255/4 = 63.75)

Your pokemon has a base level of HP that it will automatically gain.
    EVs, IVs, and natures work in conjunction with the base stat and effect the stats growth, for better or for worse based on how you breed it/train it.

Zacceh

Years
  • My next question:

IV Breeding... How does this go over? Because it turns out that the Ralts that now has 236 HP EVs has 0 HP IVs (luckily however, it has 30 Attack IVs :)) So I need a better-IV'd Ralts for EV training.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • When a Pokemon is breed it is given random IVs, then:

- One random IV is overridden by one of the parent's IV for that stat.
    - One random IV (other than HP) is overridden by one of the parent's IV for that stat.
    - One random IV (other than HP or Defense) is overridden by one of the parent's IV for that stat.

So you end up with 3-5 completely random IVs and 1-3 IVs being inherited.

Years
  • Just to make a quick point - "No-one wants hacked Pokemon" I want hacked Pokemon, especially the hard to get ones & shineys.

I tryed for 8 hours to get a shiny Red Gyrados,, without success so in the end i bought a hacked one off ebay, & i was just as chuffed to get it when it came via GTS - I dont want to waste 20% of my waking life searching for computer sprites, & neither should you all. Also I would have liked to trade for one, but no-one in this community are prepared to trade you anything rare unless youve got some Japanese event super rare or something, to offer in return . Am i right ???
    So yes im in the market for hacked shinys if members want to offer them, cos i just want to play with them & battle, not hunt for them for hours on end - Rant over.

Question - Who else felt deflated when after spending 6 months to get all 493 pokes in the Nat.Dex. You went to see Prof. Oaks expecting to get a special item as a reward, & all he says is well done (bugger off with nowt). You'd have thought Nintendo would have given some special item or unlocked something in the game to recognise all that effort ???

groudonlover

Mateus readies Hellfire...
    Years
  • No one wants hacked pokés since there is no effort in getting them and they are banned from all official tournaments. Also, hacked shineys if you've taken an already existing Poké and made it shiny, no one is complaining. However, giving a Poké ultra-high stats and illegal moves is considered cheating, and is nooooot good.

Also, since completing the NDex requires you to have all the GBA games, Nintendo wouldn't want to lock something up on that you have all of them since it would create unecessary jealousy and encourage hacking, something Nintendo is trying to discourage.

Syrex

[b][i][COLOR=black][font=Rock Salt][glow=green]Hen
    Years
  • Does Pokemon Platinum run off it's own time or DS time?

Because I'm trying to catch rotom and I wated until my pokemon time was 8:05 but it was still daylight out... so, which time should I wait til in-game until I can catch rotom?

Back