• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2023
    I don't know about Ruby, but in Emerald special 0x1F3 activates the national pokedex, so it's probably similar in Ruby with special number being different. I'm also suggesting you switch Ruby to Emerald or Fire Red as they're far more documented and everything Ruby does, Emerald does as well(in some cases , it does it better).

It's a little late to switch now.
    Ruby is weird and uses writebytetooffset instead of a special to activate the national dex.
    I just figured out my script did work, you just have to hit select in game when viewing the pokedex to switch it over to national mode.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2016
    Don't know if people still use it, but UNlz has all of the sprites & many other images. Yes there is a size limit(I think it's 64x64 like the poke sprites), but I believe you can edit the size limit in a hex editor.
    ok then il do my best about it but i stil dont know how to change your trainder in game on emerald i got the sprites of cynthia but still i dont know how to use them

The Walrus

it's a me, jesse
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2019
    Which palette slot are safe to replace in FR tilesets without damaging all other tilesets? Thanks!
    I don't know the #s right now, but I'm pretty sure the pals that are all black(or black with another color for transparency) are safe to edit/replace. I'm actually in need of trying this myself, so if I find anything else I will let you know. I'll just PM you (if I remember lol)

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Which palette slot are safe to replace in FR tilesets without damaging all other tilesets? Thanks!

It's different for every tileset, but generally any palette that is mostly a single color (that is, "blank") will generally be unused and safe to replace. You'll have to do a bit of trial-and-error to ensure a palette is unused, but it shouldn't be too difficult to see when one is probably unused.

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate
    Years
    I don't know the #s right now, but I'm pretty sure the pals that are all black(or black with another color for transparency) are safe to edit/replace. I'm actually in need of trying this myself, so if I find anything else I will let you know. I'll just PM you (if I remember lol)

It's different for every tileset, but generally any palette that is mostly a single color (that is, "blank") will generally be unused and safe to replace. You'll have to do a bit of trial-and-error to ensure a palette is unused, but it shouldn't be too difficult to see when one is probably unused.

Thanks a lot!

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    Two questions, Fire Red base.
    Am I limited to what I find in trainer editor lists (using Hopeless Trainer Editor) for adding new trainers? If not, how do I make/add new trainers without a trainer editor?
    Second question; how many new maps can I make in A-Map?

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Two questions, Fire Red base.
    Am I limited to what I find in trainer editor lists (using Hopeless Trainer Editor) for adding new trainers? If not, how do I make/add new trainers without a trainer editor?
    Second question; how many new maps can I make in A-Map?

1. Yes, there is no way to add more trainers beyond what is already in the game at this time.
    2. You can pretty much make as many maps as you'll need. I believe the theoretical maximum number of maps is 255 banks with 255 maps each (over 60,000), though certainly nobody has ever tried making that many. Just use the bank editor to create space for new maps or replace existing ones.

Years
    1. Yes, there is no way to add more trainers beyond what is already in the game at this time.

You actually can add more trainers, you'd just have to find some new flags for it.(i.e in the saveblock1 there are two sets of seen pokedex flags that serve no purpose, so they could be used). And then, you'd have to modify the clear/set/check trainerflag routines, so when the trainer ID is higher than default, they'll use new flags.

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    Thanks for answering my questions.
    I now have an issue with a new trainer battle dialogue.
    The first time I made it, everything went smoothly. I tried adding a new pokemon to the new trainer with Hopeless Trainer Editor and it froze every time.
    I then deleted the trainer and remade it with the same script but a different offset.
    Then I tried doing it with A-Trainer, which works for the most part. The problem is that the dialogue is all mixed up, as seen in this album; https://imgur.com/a/Op9qP
    Here's my script
    Quick Questions & Answers

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
    Thanks for answering my questions.
    I now have an issue with a new trainer battle dialogue.
    The first time I made it, everything went smoothly. I tried adding a new pokemon to the new trainer with Hopeless Trainer Editor and it froze every time.
    I then deleted the trainer and remade it with the same script but a different offset.
    Then I tried doing it with A-Trainer, which works for the most part. The problem is that the dialogue is all mixed up, as seen in this album; https://imgur.com/a/Op9qP
    Here's my script
    Quick Questions & Answers
    Have you written that over an existing script rather than starting afresh? To me that looks like there isn't enough free space for those messages you've written. Try inserting the script in free space (800000+?).

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    I'm not sure, I've been trying to keep track of my offsets. Maybe I should start fresh again (I'm not very far into it) and this time keep meticulous track of things. But I did go back through, debug religiously, compile, and save and now the messages work but concerned this will bite me down the road.

Max Elixir

PP Max
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    looking for some advice on how I would go about editing the Red Gyarados event in Crystal, specifically the species of the encounter.

i don't really need it explained to me like i'm five, i just have no idea where to go to edit that or how to find that information out for myself.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
    I'm not sure, I've been trying to keep track of my offsets. Maybe I should start fresh again (I'm not very far into it) and this time keep meticulous track of things. But I did go back through, debug religiously, compile, and save and now the messages work but concerned this will bite me down the road.

You have more than enough space in the ROM to repoint all these scripts you're editing, add more new scripts ect.
    It's not going to come and bite you, but I think organisation would definitely aid you in keeping track of certain things. Anyways, I don't think you should concern yourself with running out of space for scripts, or having to worry how many bytes was written where.

I don't think you should restart, unless there's a big change that'll happen if you do. In general it's not worth restarting and wasting the time. Best of luck.

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    You have more than enough space in the ROM to repoint all these scripts you're editing, add more new scripts ect.
    It's not going to come and bite you, but I think organisation would definitely aid you in keeping track of certain things. Anyways, I don't think you should concern yourself with running out of space for scripts, or having to worry how many bytes was written where.

I don't think you should restart, unless there's a big change that'll happen if you do. In general it's not worth restarting and wasting the time. Best of luck.

Thanks again, FBI.
    Another set of questions I came up with-I'm trying to change NPC dialogue. Opening their script in XSE with A-Map, highlighting their dialogue lines, pressing ctrl+T, typing what I want, and then debugging and compiling the script before saving. Sometimes this works, sometimes I get the same problem as before with weird dialogue box glitches.
    So when I'm replacing NPC dialogue, should I just delete the dialogue script altogether and then replace it with a new one with what I want them to say?
    And another thing-does deleting events have a negative effect? Such as if there is a cut tree native to a map and I don't want to use it or incorporate it at all and delete it, will that cause problems down the line?

Years
    Thanks again, FBI.
    Another set of questions I came up with-I'm trying to change NPC dialogue. Opening their script in XSE with A-Map, highlighting their dialogue lines, pressing ctrl+T, typing what I want, and then debugging and compiling the script before saving. Sometimes this works, sometimes I get the same problem as before with weird dialogue box glitches.
    So when I'm replacing NPC dialogue, should I just delete the dialogue script altogether and then replace it with a new one with what I want them to say?
    And another thing-does deleting events have a negative effect? Such as if there is a cut tree native to a map and I don't want to use it or incorporate it at all and delete it, will that cause problems down the line?

In replacing all sorts of data, be it text, scripts, trainer's pokemon or whatever else, the rule is to do it ONLY IF new data is the same size or smaller than what you're trying to replace.
    For example, if the text is :"KAPPA" and you'd like to replace it with: "CAT", then nothing wrong happens. However if you'll try to replace it with "KAPPA21" then you'd be overwriting data after that text and that's never good. So if new text is longer, create it with #org and replace the pointer to it to the new one.
    As for deleting events on map, I'm not sure. I usually replace all events and sometimes create more. You could always give unwanted events, movement type 'hidden', so they're invisible.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
    Thanks again, FBI.
    Yep. That's what I'd do.

Alternatively, you can just change the text pointer (which in the case of a decompiled script would be in the format "0x8YYYYYY", so you'd change this 'YYYYYY" into some other address you identify using a free space finder or some equivalent.

No, it'd not have any affect rather than deleting the tree from the map.

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Ohio
    • Seen May 12, 2019
    Ok something is going wrong with my code. For some reason it is always defaulting to the "pushedno" option regardless of if I clicked yes or no in the message box. I followed some tutorial and used their same code, but the tutorial's code isn't working either, and I can't find another tutorial. Does anyone know what's going wrong?

Code:
    #dynamic 0x740000
    #org @main
    lock
    faceplayer
    checkflag 0x1002
    if 0x1 jump @questdone
    message @domyquest
    callstd MSG_YESNO
    if 0x1 jump @pushedyes
    jump @pushedno

#org @domyquest
    = Can you tell her to call me?

#org @questdone
    message @thankyou
    callstd MSG_NORMAL
    release
    end

#org @puShedyes
    setflag 0x1003
    message @yes
    callstd MSG_NORMAL
    release
    end

#org @pushedno
    message @no
    callstd MSG_NORMAL
    release
    end

#org @yes
    = Thank you so much!

#org @no
    = Aww, I hope you reconsider.

#org @thankyou
    = Thank you for telling her to call me!

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen today
    Try adding in a "compare LASTRESULT 0x1" between callstd MSG_YESNO and if 0x1 jump @pushedyes.

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Ohio
    • Seen May 12, 2019
    Ok so adding that in made the "Yes" option work, but now when I click the "No" option random characters would start appearing and the message wouldn't show. I can't post a link to a picture because I don't have enough posts, though.

Any other ideas for fixing the code?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back