• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    Is it possible to change the pokemon sold at Route 4 pokemon center in Fire Red? If so I'd appreciate a link to the relevant documentation.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Is it possible to change the pokemon sold at Route 4 pokemon center in Fire Red? If so I'd appreciate a link to the relevant documentation.
    I think you just need a script editor. That's the Magikarp, right? Decompile it, and you'll see that you won't need a dedicated tutorial.

Years
    ^ I can't say anything for the expansion, but to add more Pokemon you can use this tutorial. It's pretty time-consuming, but it works. Alternatively, G3HS has an Expand Pokedex tool, but I've heard that it can cause some bugs.

Is there any way to make Shedinja's slot not have 1 HP?

Try changing those bytes:
    In Emerald: 08068DF4 to 00 00 00 00
    In Fire Red: 0803E564 to 00 00 00 00

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen yesterday
    ^ This allowed Shedinja's maximum HP to be higher, but when the game actually loads one it still has 1 HP. I received one from Professor Oak in the tutorial to test, and it had 1/35 HP. The same happens in the wild. Is there anything else that could help fix this?

Years
    ^ This allowed Shedinja's maximum HP to be higher, but when the game actually loads one it still has 1 HP. I received one from Professor Oak in the tutorial to test, and it had 1/35 HP. The same happens in the wild. Is there anything else that could help fix this?

My bad, there are two checks, one for max hp stat and the other for current HP stat. So, to make Shedinja have normal stats, change bytes at:
    Emerald:
    08068DF4 to 00 00 00 00
    08068FCC to 00 00 00 00
    Fire Red:
    0803E564 to 00 00 00 00
    0803E73C to 00 00 00 00

Sensual

This should be good.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2018
    Let's say I was working on a very ambitious project (32x32 OWs, expanded OW count, expanded OW palettes, larger maps, more scripts, etc). How likely would it be that I would run out of free space down the road?

I'm not working on any such project, but I'm curious to know just how much we can pack into a ROM without expanding it. If anybody could give me a gauge, it would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Let's say I was working on a very ambitious project (32x32 OWs, expanded OW count, expanded OW palettes, larger maps, more scripts, etc). How likely would it be that I would run out of free space down the road?

I'm not working on any such project, but I'm curious to know just how much we can pack into a ROM without expanding it. If anybody could give me a gauge, it would be much appreciated.

Depends on the ROM base really. With Emerald it should be obvious that you'd need to expand rather early on but with FireRed or Ruby you have a lot more to work with. With careful management of free space, you can fit a lot of stuff into the ROM. Speaking from personal experience, you can fit a ton of scripts into a relatively small space (especially if they are more generic scripts), and maps don't really take up all that much space either. As for OWs, well, they're pretty small too because they're only 32 x 32 pixels and 4 bpp is a pretty efficient way to save them, and a normal uncompressed palette only takes 32 bytes so you can insert hundreds of those before you notice a difference. The real space user is graphics and music data. Graphics can be enormous (by comparison), and while compression definitely makes them smaller, when you start inserting a lot you'll notice how much space is taken very quickly. For example, inserting sprites for all 700+ Pokemon takes a lot of space. Songs themselves don't take up some space, usually only a few hundred bytes per track at most (unless you decide to insert some ridiculously long song), but voicegroups and sound samples tend to take up a lot of space that quickly adds up.

Now, taken all together, if you manage your free space well, you can add a lot of what you want without having to expand the ROM at all. I remember replacing all sprites for the 386 Pokemon on FireRed once and it took around 0x20000 bytes (from around 0x800000 to 0x820000) (very rough estimate). So that's just an example of how much space can be taken up by graphics. So, that might seem like a lot but you can also consider that you still have from 0x830000 through 0x8FFFFF for free space left after, and that's not even considering areas such as 0x900000 to 0xAFFFFF. So really, you have a lot more space to work with than you think if you aren't using Emerald.

Sensual

This should be good.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2018
    Depends on the ROM base really. With Emerald it should be obvious that you'd need to expand rather early on but with FireRed or Ruby you have a lot more to work with. With careful management of free space, you can fit a lot of stuff into the ROM. Speaking from personal experience, you can fit a ton of scripts into a relatively small space (especially if they are more generic scripts), and maps don't really take up all that much space either. As for OWs, well, they're pretty small too because they're only 32 x 32 pixels and 4 bpp is a pretty efficient way to save them, and a normal uncompressed palette only takes 32 bytes so you can insert hundreds of those before you notice a difference. The real space user is graphics and music data. Graphics can be enormous (by comparison), and while compression definitely makes them smaller, when you start inserting a lot you'll notice how much space is taken very quickly. For example, inserting sprites for all 700+ Pokemon takes a lot of space. Songs themselves don't take up some space, usually only a few hundred bytes per track at most (unless you decide to insert some ridiculously long song), but voicegroups and sound samples tend to take up a lot of space that quickly adds up.

Now, taken all together, if you manage your free space well, you can add a lot of what you want without having to expand the ROM at all. I remember replacing all sprites for the 386 Pokemon on FireRed once and it took around 0x20000 bytes (from around 0x800000 to 0x820000) (very rough estimate). So that's just an example of how much space can be taken up by graphics. So, that might seem like a lot but you can also consider that you still have from 0x830000 through 0x8FFFFF for free space left after, and that's not even considering areas such as 0x900000 to 0xAFFFFF. So really, you have a lot more space to work with than you think if you aren't using Emerald.

Ok, cool. That's very good to know. I'd just been reading about people expanding to 32MB ROMs and wondered what would warrant doing so. Thanks for the in-depth response, Lost.

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
    To expand the overworld palette table in FireRed, is it as simple as expanding the table at 0x3A5158, or is anything else involved? And will NTME recognize the newly added palette slots (as long as I edit the ini)? I'm just making sure because I feel like it isn't as simple as that, being that the small amount of overworld palettes in FireRed was the most annoying thing imaginable and such an easy fix couldn't be that simple lol.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2023
    For some reason when inserting gen IV and V pokemon icons they look messed up, but the gen VI ones from mrdollsteak look fine. Does any1 have working icons for gen 4/5 64x32?

Years
    Still no word on why my later script wont start? After the first trainer battle the script just stops and i can move around

Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    Still no word on why my later script wont start? After the first trainer battle the script just stops and i can move around

Spoiler:
    Try changing all those waitmovements to "waitmovement 0x0" exactly and let us know what happens. Also, in the case of having several applymovements in a row, you only need one waitmovement at the end of them.

The Walrus

it's a me, jesse
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2019
    So, if I ever get around to hacking again, one of my ideas is for a somewhat branching storyline. Really not much difference than speech options and different trainer battles and events. Anyway, I planned on using a system of flags. Now with all of these flags being set I could theoretically run out of them(not likely, but hey, who knows). So, I never really got into using variables, and I'm not 100% sure how they're used. My question is, would there be any options that would work better than a flag system?

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Ohio
    • Seen May 12, 2019
    Is there any simple way of editing the world map in Pokemon Fire Red? I can't for the life of me figure this out, and it's something I need to get figured out for school. If someone could point me in the direction of a reliable guide for this I'd love you forever. All I need to do is change the image of the world map, not the any of the data or anything like that, I already have that part figured that out.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Is there any simple way of editing the world map in Pokemon Fire Red? I can't for the life of me figure this out, and it's something I need to get figured out for school. If someone could point me in the direction of a reliable guide for this I'd love you forever. All I need to do is change the image of the world map, not the any of the data or anything like that, I already have that part figured that out.

Here's a tutorial for the world map. If you're changing that, you should also consider this tutorial to change the Pokedex's map and this one to change the catch areas.

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    Route 22 is deleted.
    I've been adding several new maps, first with 0.0 and 0.5 (because I didn't know what I was doing) and then into the 43 bank.
    Did I screw up somewhere? Because when I try to get into Route 22 in A-Map it tells me invalid pointer to map footer.

edit: I'm starting over on my project utilizing what I've learned about hacking and what I'm wanting to do. I have a couple more questions now:
    How many maps can an unexpanded Fire Red rom hold?
    Should I apply the 32mb base anyways?
    What to apply first-32mb or MrDollSteaks?
    What can I do to prevent a map from deleting itself in the future?
    Also, my now-current process will be to edit a map, edit the wild pokemon, edit the trainers, edit the scripts, and then add whatever new scripts/warps I need. Is this the best and/or safest way to go about this?
    Thanks everyone for the help so far and the help I'm sure to need in the future.
    edit 2:
    I tried patching MrDollSteaks base onto a base that adds a set of maps for Johto in Fire Red and came up with the invalid pointer to map footer issue with Pallet Town. A base with only MDS patch works fine, as does one with only the Johto maps patched in. I've been googling the issue for an hour and come up with no solutions. Does this have something to do with resizing the maps? Does it have something to do with adding too many maps? I guess I'll just restart in the morning and hope for the best if no answers.

Last edited:

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
    Two quick questions about AdvanceMap.

1. How do I move the wild pokemon data from one map to another? One had wild pokemon when I don't want it to and one doesn't have any but I want it to. TRather than switching entire maps around, how do I swap the data?

2. I expanded and remapped Altering Cave but now the map thinks it is an indoors map (no running, trainer battles have the indoor background). What do I have to change so it becomes a cave map so I can run and have proper battle backgrounds?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Two quick questions about AdvanceMap.
    2. I expanded and remapped Altering Cave but now the map thinks it is an indoors map (no running, trainer battles have the indoor background). What do I have to change so it becomes a cave map so I can run and have proper battle backgrounds?

Under the Header tab, there is a section titled "Map Options". Go to the drop-down labeled "Type" and change it from "Inside" to "Underground".

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    Quick question for anybody that's willing to answer. I would like to turn the usual selection of HMs into TMs. Would this be as simple as a byte change or is ASM required?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back