• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neko Mizu

Kawaii
    Years
    It is possible, and it's not easy if it's a completely different set of Pokemon. Map editors wouldn't support it either, and you'd probably write some of your own custom code for the encounter Pokemon selection. Overall it's a little bit of work if you know what you're doing, else it's quite hard :D

I've been successful at over-riding the encounter to become another Pokemon, this would be similar, except you'd read a tile behaviour byte or something depending on how you plan on doing it. But no, there aren't any guides for this kinda thing :(

Okay, guess I will leave it to when I am not a complete noob at rom hacking.

Skaraborne

The sharpest 'mon in the thread
    Years
    Does anyone know how to insert female Pokémon sprites with G3HS? I've been using Chaos Rush's sprite resource and Pokémon with gender differences appear underneath each other here. If you know another sprite editor which can insert females please let me know too.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
    Does anyone know how to insert female Pokémon sprites with G3HS? I've been using Chaos Rush's sprite resource and Pokémon with gender differences appear underneath each other here. If you know another sprite editor which can insert females please let me know too.

Thats not really a thing in gen 3, so there would be no tool to insert it.

Also does anyone have the offset for emerald trainer backsprites?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
    Also does anyone have the offset for emerald trainer backsprites?

You can find Brendan's backsprites at 0xD66480, 0xD66C80, 0xD67480 and 0xD67C80. May's are at 0xD68480, 0xD68C80, 0xD69480 and 0xD69C80. As you can see, they are all at regular intervals of 0x800 bytes and aren't compressed. If you follow this pattern of adding 0x800 to each sprite you can find other backsprites such as the FRLG heroes and Steven.

Joexv

Years
    You can find Brendan's backsprites at 0xD66480, 0xD66C80, 0xD67480 and 0xD67C80. May's are at 0xD68480, 0xD68C80, 0xD69480 and 0xD69C80. As you can see, they are all at regular intervals of 0x800 bytes and aren't compressed. If you follow this pattern of adding 0x800 to each sprite you can find other backsprites such as the FRLG heroes and Steven.

Alright thanks! You wouldnt happen to have the pallet offsets either by any chance.:3

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
    Alright thanks! You wouldnt happen to have the pallet offsets either by any chance.:3

Sure, Brendan's palette is located at 0xD61A35 and May's is at 0xD61D5D. They have a single 00 byte after every four colours so you will have to edit them by hand in a hex editor rather than using a tool like APE or NSE as they won't load properly in those.

Lance32497

LanceKoijer of Pokemon_Addicts
    Years
    Here's the problem I encountered in Expanding Mon using G3HS and Evolve pokemon even without National Dex,
    When they evolve, their level changes, its either the level increases or decreases
    does anyone know how to fix that?

Joexv

Years
    Here's the problem I encountered in Expanding Mon using G3HS and Evolve pokemon even without National Dex,
    When they evolve, their level changes, its either the level increases or decreases
    does anyone know how to fix that?

That would be because of an exp curve change. Make sure that the pokemon and its evolution has the same exp rate.

Skaraborne

Years
    Does anyone know if you can insert overworld sprites bigger than 32x32 into Pokémon FireRed? I'm implementing gen IV Pokémon into my game, but the Creation Trio overworld sprites are 32x40, 39x39, 45x38 and 45x35. Please help me out!

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
    Does anyone know if you can insert overworld sprites bigger than 32x32 into Pokémon FireRed? I'm implementing gen IV Pokémon into my game, but the Creation Trio overworld sprites are 32x40, 39x39, 45x38 and 45x35. Please help me out!

Yes, you can see that some default OWs are already bigger than 32x32 such as the Sevii Island ferries and the S.S Anne (which is a whopping 128x64). NSE Classic has the ability to instantly make a 64x64 OW so I suggest using that if you want it. Anything bigger will need to be edited via hand with a hex editor.

Skaraborne

Years
    Yes, you can see that some default OWs are already bigger than 32x32 such as the Sevii Island ferries and the S.S Anne (which is a whopping 128x64). NSE Classic has the ability to instantly make a 64x64 OW so I suggest using that if you want it. Anything bigger will need to be edited via hand with a hex editor.

Thanks! I was going to remove Sevii Islands and the S.S. Anne anyway, so that helps me out. I'll send you a screenshot when the map's finished if you like.

Joexv

Years
    Quick question.*heh heh*

Does anybody have the offest for the raw file of the press start image for emerald? And the pallet offset?
    I feel like I used to have these but I can't find them anymore.

Found it. The pallet is at 0xde03c8 if anyone wants it. Still trying to get the raw, down to 2 possible offsets though.

Last edited:
    Years
    I have some quick questions, but please answer joexv's first since he posted before I did.

I want to change the type effectiveness of Poison vs Steel so that Poison is now only x1/2 effective to or possibly neutral against Steel (duh, certain acids can dissolve steel). If I do this, and Steel is no longer immune to poison, will Steel types still be immune to the poison status condition, just like how poison types are immune to that status condition? I am assuming that the game stores this information somewhere outside the type effectiveness table.

Also, if I want to make poison neutral to steel, should I remove the 3 bytes 03 08 00 from the type effectiveness table so that the game assumes that it is neutral? How would I remove these, would I just overwrite them with 00 00 00 and hope the game skips through that section, or would it be a better idea to overwrite it with 03 08 0A, where 0A is 10 in decimal (the x1 multiplier for neutral)?
    Edit: I was dumb. overwriting the 03 08 00 with 00 00 00 would tell the game that normal doesn't affect normal since 00=normal for the first and second bytes, 00=no damage for the last byte. Should I use 03 08 0A like I thought of beforehand?

Last edited:

Joexv

Years
    I have some quick questions, but please answer joexv's first since he posted before I did.

I want to change the type effectiveness of Poison vs Steel so that Poison is now only x1/2 effective to or possibly neutral against Steel (duh, certain acids can dissolve steel). If I do this, and Steel is no longer immune to poison, will Steel types still be immune to the poison status condition, just like how poison types are immune to that status condition? I am assuming that the game stores this information somewhere outside the type effectiveness table.

Also, if I want to make poison neutral to steel, should I remove the 3 bytes 03 08 00 from the type effectiveness table so that the game assumes that it is neutral? How would I remove these, would I just overwrite them with 00 00 00 and hope the game skips through that section, or would it be a better idea to overwrite it with 03 08 0A, where 0A is 10 in decimal (the x1 multiplier for neutral)?
    Edit: I was dumb. overwriting the 03 08 00 with 00 00 00 would tell the game that normal doesn't affect normal since 00=normal for the first and second bytes, 00=no damage for the last byte. Should I use 03 08 0A like I thought of beforehand?
    Lol thats not really how this thread works, but thanks. Anyways I cn sorta maybe answer your question.
    Use a type effectiveness editor like THIS one, change steel and poison around to how you want it. You may have to do so testing to see if it actually removed the immunity to poison though.

EDIT: Ok so after a little bit of quick testing just changing the weakness wont change if pokemon are immune to ailments.

Last edited:

TheRabbit

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    Anyone know if an ASM routine has been developed that would make it so learned HM moves don't take up one of the four move slots?

The ???

The one true question mark
    Years
    Hey all, just when I thought everything was working fine with my new rom, it isnt.
    I'm trying to hack Fire Red version.
    I applied JPAN's and MrDS's patches in it in the given order as they seemed very helpful in creating the advanced rom.
    Now, I expanded the Pokedex by adding 313 New pokemons and in total 700 Dex Entries.

To make this tool work in Advanced Map 1.92, I followed GoGo's post and edited it for new no. of pokemons.
    But it still won't open the rom, it says :
    Invalid Rom

So I edited the .gba using Hex editor and changed MrDS to BPRE, then it opens in the A-Map but it gives this error 2 times:
    Quick Questions & Answers

But STAYS open.. I randomly checked Route 1's wild pokemons and was happy to see NEW pokemons being available.

After that I closed it, changed .gba back to MrDS and tried to play normally in my VBA.
    However, There's no one in my home! and when I exit my house, I get stuck and it looks like this :

Quick Questions & Answers

I CAN move (the game isn't frozen), but its like there are invisible boundries all around me.

I think I'm doing EVERYTHING correctly. However, there's STILL these issues!
    Please help! I want to cry :(

EDIT :

Now I can confirm that the Game becomes like that RIGHT AFTER I apply both the patches! HELP!

EDIT 2 :

CONFIRMED THAT IT HAPPENS RIGHT AFTER I APPLY THE JPANS PATCH V1.1 !!!!

EDIT 3 :

I STARTED FRESHLY WITHOUT USING JPANS PATCH AND NOW IT WORKS FINE!
    Even the A-MAP 1.92 error doesn't appear!
    Thought I'd still like to ask why does the bug appear?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back