• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2019
    In A-trainer I can't change pokemon their moveset for many trainers. Is there a reason for this or am I missing something?

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2024
    I recently encountered many issues...
    First, in Advance Map (1.92) I inserted some tiles and whenever I open Advance Map it looks fine but in the game the Palettes are messed up badly.
    Second, I am getting an error when I enter a location in the ROM in Visual Boy Advance, something along the lines of BIOS Error.
    Third, After these BIOS errors started to occur I noticed that some of the maps that this occurs on got wiped... like the map just got set to black tiles....

EDIT: Error says: Unsupported BIOS function c7 called from 020023fc. A BIOS file is needed in order to get correct behaviour. (Yes in the error Behavior is not spelled correctly)

Last edited:

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
    Ah ok, that makes a lot more sense and after a little researching I see that the IRAM begins at 3000000 so that makes sense. I don't suppose there is any way to access the RAMs hex?

I usually use visual-boy M, but iirc there was a better version of vba that has more debugging features like setting breakpoints and stuff.

BadgerLordZeus

Spooniest of Bards
    Years
    So, I've expanded a Fire Red rom to 32mb, and I was wondering, is it possible to point to something beyond the offset 0xFFFFFF? For instance, if I wanted to point to an image or a pokemon cry beyond 0xFFFFFF.

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
    Years
    So, I've expanded a Fire Red rom to 32mb, and I was wondering, is it possible to point to something beyond the offset 0xFFFFFF? For instance, if I wanted to point to an image or a pokemon cry beyond 0xFFFFFF.

put 09 instead of 08 to the pointer then followed by the number e.g. 0x1000002 would be 02000009 (in reverse hex)

Exodrake

The Manliest Chick that Ever Manlied
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2016
    where is the title screen cry (charizard in a vanilla game) located in firered? i know it's probably one or two lousy bytes i just don't know the offset of.

Criminon

Forever Spriting
    Years
    So I'm trying to script Rival battles, and I've noticed it has to specifically be certain trainer #s to get it to say your Rival's name. Is there a table somewhere saying which ones Rival battles?

I want my rival to always have the best moves possible, which means you need to repoint, but when you do, it breaks his name and it reverts back to "TERRY" which obviously isn't what anyone wants.

Any help is more than appreciated!

Years
    I'm using JPAN's hacked engine to make use special 0x81(walking script), and I need to edit RAM data in order to implement it correctly. Does anyone know how to edit RAM data?

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2024
    I recently encountered many issues...
    First, in Advance Map (1.92) I inserted some tiles and whenever I open Advance Map it looks fine but in the game the Palettes are messed up badly.
    Second, I am getting an error when I enter a location in the ROM in Visual Boy Advance, something along the lines of BIOS Error.
    Third, After these BIOS errors started to occur I noticed that some of the maps that this occurs on got wiped... like the map just got set to black tiles....

EDIT: Error says: Unsupported BIOS function c7 called from 020023fc. A BIOS file is needed in order to get correct behaviour. (Yes in the error Behavior is not spelled correctly)

Sorry to bring this up again but I cannot continue to create my ROM hack without these questions answered. I do not feel like starting over again.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Sorry to bring this up again but I cannot continue to create my ROM hack without these questions answered. I do not feel like starting over again.

Don't quote me on this, but I think VBA just uses an emulated fake BIOS file instead of a real one. Go into Options > Emulator > BIOS Files, then you can load an actual GBA BIOS.

For the problems specifically with your hack, it doesn't sound like anything that would be easy to fix. Restarting might be required, unfortunately.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years

If you were a good boy and saved back ups and those previous back ups show the bugs as not there, then you can easily fix your problems using my HxDen tut on how to fix any bug in your hack. I've ran into quite a few game-ending bugs but with the many back ups I create, I just find one that it works in, compare the two roms, copy the bytes in sections until the new rom works and then delete the rom and rinse and repeat in a smaller section of bytes until I isolate the problem to a few bytes, maybe a pointer, or sometimes it's 1 out of a googol bytes :P
    Here's my tut: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=336092

Mystelex

I'm using JPAN's Hacked engine for FireRed and I have made a map -
    Quick Questions & Answers

But whenever I enter the map , the screen turns black or the game resets !
    Is this because there are too may NPCs on the map , or what ?

( I have also tried to make 2 other maps like this one , but I always get the same result...)

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
    Mainly for Gyro Ball and Electro Ball implementation...

How can I go about decompiling the battle script for Flail using BSP (or is that possible)?
    If not, can someone please tell me how to script Flail?

i need to learn how to not sound so rude...

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    Could someone link me to a few Emerald tutorials? I need:

-Item insertion on the map
    -Sprite insertion onto the map, and triggering a battle with the sprite
    -Scripts for giving the player an item
    If a video, no obnoxious music playing. I prefer something I can read. I apologize if I'm asking for something already detailed on the beginner's lounge forums that I've missed.

I don't know if I should specify, but all I'm trying to do is add pokemon sprites to the map that you can walk up to and challenge, capture or defeat, and the sprite disappears from the map completely. Also want to add item balls and NPCs who give key items.

Years
    Could someone link me to a few Emerald tutorials? I need:

-Item insertion on the map
    -Sprite insertion onto the map, and triggering a battle with the sprite
    -Scripts for giving the player an item
    If a video, no obnoxious music playing. I prefer something I can read. I apologize if I'm asking for something already detailed on the beginner's lounge forums that I've missed.

I don't know if I should specify, but all I'm trying to do is add pokemon sprites to the map that you can walk up to and challenge, capture or defeat, and the sprite disappears from the map completely. Also want to add item balls and NPCs who give key items.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=161616
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=164276
    Both of those are needed for scripts and inserting events properly if you're just beginning.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back