• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanB500

Former Pokemon League Champion
    Years
    i am trying to get a script to work if anyone can help me

Spoiler:

i am still having trouble with this if anyone has an answer i would appreciate it

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    i am still having trouble with this if anyone has an answer i would appreciate it

What happens exactly when you try to initiate the script?

EDIT:
    I am not sure, but do you even need the bolded part?
    Code:
    checkflag 0x999
    [B]compare LASTRESULT 1[/B]
    if 0x1 goto @done

Last edited:

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024

Code:
    '---------------
    #dynamic 0x740000

#org @start
    lock
    faceplayer
    checkflag 0x999
    compare LASTRESULT 1
    if 0x1 goto @done
    msgbox @[COLOR="red"]q[/COLOR]uestion 0x5
    compare 0x800D 1
    if 0x1 goto @Opened
    compare 0x800D 0
    if 0x1 goto @Sealed 
    release
    end

#org @Opened
    msgbox @yep 0x6 
    checksound
    cry 0x196 0x2
    waitcry
    playsong 0x480 0x0
    setwildbattle 0x96 0x46 0x0
    setflag 0x999
    release
    end

#org @Sealed
    msgbox @nope 0x6
    release
    end

#org @question
    =A Pokémon is sealed within a Pokéball /pDo you want to release it?

#org @nope
    = You leaft the Pokéball alone... for now

#org @yep
    = You opened the Pokéball..../pThe Pokémon inside attacked!

#org @done
    [COLOR="red"]msgbox @msgdone 0x6
    release
    end

#org @msgdone
    =[/COLOR] The Pokéball is empty

Fixes are in red.

Years
    Last edited by a moderator:

JordanB500

Years
    just adding to what destinedjagold said, safe flags are from 200 to 2FF, and you don't need to use compare lastresult after checkflag

i just put 999 because i didnt know which ones are in use or were good to use

ty and destinedjagold for the help and i didnt know that you have to put a dowildbattle after the setwildbattle however i cannot get the playsong to work whenever i use dowildbattle it just uses the wild battle music

also

"a Pokémon is sealed within a Pokéball /pDo you want to release it?" and

"You opened the Pokéball.../pThe Pokémon inside attacked!"

appear incorrectly ive tried /p /n /l and it doesnt work for some reason if you can help me with that i believe thats all i need(that and the music)

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
    Whoch Pokedex Order Editor are you using? If you're using Sebbe(sp)'s one it can be buggy, I had to manually edit all my entries in the PGE Pokedex Editor to fix it - i'd restart and use that one! =)

I have a couple of questions of my own...

I'm hacking FR, does anybody happen to know the palette offset for this screen, or know how I could find it?

Quick Questions & Answers

Also, I'm interested in editing the "Old Man Catches Weedle" event. I know how to change the old man's back-sprite in NSE, but I'd like to change the Weedle for another Pokemon. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

A really easy way to edit what the old man is catching is to install jpans hacked engine onto your rom. He added a special that will allow you to have him catch any Pokemon. https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=194241
    Spoiler:

Why do these things get added to the script? The highlighted text and the text below the battle text

View attachment 73590

OK so the level script for that event is at 0x16A205.
    The reason that those weird script lines are apearing is because you are overwriting other scripts and they are showing up in the current one, all you need to do to avoid that is to add a new dynamic offset for the starting script. So if you wanted to edit the marts script it would looklike this(changes in red):
    Spoiler:
    In doing so would allow you to edit as much of the script as you would like.

i just put 999 because i didnt know which ones are in use or were good to use

ty and destinedjagold for the help and i didnt know that you have to put a dowildbattle after the setwildbattle however i cannot get the playsong to work whenever i use dowildbattle it just uses the wild battle music

also

"a Pokémon is sealed within a Pokéball /pDo you want to release it?" and

"You opened the Pokéball.../pThe Pokémon inside attacked!"

appear incorrectly ive tried /p /n /l and it doesnt work for some reason if you can help me with that i believe thats all i need(that and the music)
    A little trick for text strings is to use XSE's built in text editor. Click Crtl-T and it will open it for you, and when using that you won't have to worry about having to add in the \n\p\l (and btw its supposed to be a backward slash not forward, that may have been your problem)

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen May 23, 2024
    Question about inserting cries.

I've expanded my Pokedex to 30 species more, and I'm really stumped here as to how to get cries pointed. Nearly every tool I'm looking at either doesn't support an expanded 'Dex (or doesn't seem to support Fairy-type very well in the case of GBAPGE), or requires me to deal with finicky options.

Sappy seems like the best way to go for actually getting the cries inserted into the ROM, so there seems to be no problem. But where do I go from there?

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2019
    Question about inserting cries.

I've expanded my Pokedex to 30 species more, and I'm really stumped here as to how to get cries pointed. Nearly every tool I'm looking at either doesn't support an expanded 'Dex (or doesn't seem to support Fairy-type very well in the case of GBAPGE), or requires me to deal with finicky options.

Sappy seems like the best way to go for actually getting the cries inserted into the ROM, so there seems to be no problem. But where do I go from there?
    You could hex edit? lol. If you go to your cry table (which I think G3HS expands for you?), you'll see something like this: 20 3C 00 00 XX XX XX 08 FF 00 FF 00 repeated a loooot of times. XX XX XX 08 is basically your pointer to where the cry is at. Does that help?

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2014
    Look, I'm sorry but I really need some help here. None of the standard Pokemon hacking tools seem to work on my PC for some reason. My PC seems to think all of the Advanced tools have trojans or are viruses except for Advanced map. I installed PoketScript and PkmAdvanced but the scripts don't compile correctly. And every time I try to run XSE I get Error 13 "Mismatch". I'm running Windows 8 btw.

Can anyone please help me? I can't really do anything with just Advanced Map.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2019
    I have a couple of questions of my own...

I'm hacking FR, does anybody happen to know the palette offset for this screen, or know how I could find it?

Quick Questions & Answers

You could use VBA's Palette Viewer and search for the palettes in a hex editor. Hope that helps.

Look, I'm sorry but I really need some help here. None of the standard Pokemon hacking tools seem to work on my PC for some reason. My PC seems to think all of the Advanced tools have trojans or are viruses except for Advanced map. I installed PoketScript and PkmAdvanced but the scripts don't compile correctly. And every time I try to run XSE I get Error 13 "Mismatch". I'm running Windows 8 btw.

Hmm that's weird. My tools are all running fine on Windows 8.1. IIRC antiviruses have a whitelist for non-malicious programs, so you could use that? Also for your XSE problem, try this: https://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows
    Idk if it'll work though. Also don't use PoketScript. That's seriously outdated.

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2014
    Doesn't really matter since I can't get either of them to run. Do I need to set up anything to run XSE? Or should I just be able to click XSE.exe and run it right then and there?

Years
    Hello :) I'm currently making a G/S/C remake and I really need some tiles for the interior of Sprout Tower. I don't care if they are from G/S/C or HG/SS. I just really need the tiles. I have someone who does tiles I just need the tiles be it a link or a picture I really appreciate the help :D

Years
    A really easy way to edit what the old man is catching is to install jpans hacked engine onto your rom. He added a special that will allow you to have him catch any Pokemon. https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=194241
    Spoiler:

OK so the level script for that event is at 0x16A205.
    The reason that those weird script lines are apearing is because you are overwriting other scripts and they are showing up in the current one, all you need to do to avoid that is to add a new dynamic offset for the starting script. So if you wanted to edit the marts script it would looklike this(changes in red):
    Spoiler:
    In doing so would allow you to edit as much of the script as you would like.

A little trick for text strings is to use XSE's built in text editor. Click Crtl-T and it will open it for you, and when using that you won't have to worry about having to add in the \n\p\l (and btw its supposed to be a backward slash not forward, that may have been your problem)

I don't know what you're talking about for my thing. I'm not overwriting other scripts. And that has nothing to do with the shop.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen May 23, 2024
    You could hex edit? lol. If you go to your cry table (which I think G3HS expands for you?), you'll see something like this: 20 3C 00 00 XX XX XX 08 FF 00 FF 00 repeated a loooot of times. XX XX XX 08 is basically your pointer to where the cry is at. Does that help?

Actually that helps a loooooot. Thank you, I see how it works now!

Joexv

Years
    I don't know what you're talking about for my thing. I'm not overwriting other scripts. And that has nothing to do with the shop.

You may not be intentionaly overwriting other scripts, it will happen almost everytime you add to a preexisting script. Heres an example:
    just a basic script
    Spoiler:

Now that script has been put into a small amount of freespace into your rom. There is almost always another script before AND after your script. And because of that adding anything to the script will cause it to overlap the next script causing those odd lines at the ends of your code.
    ie: adding something simple like special 0x0 would cause it to glitch out.
    Spoiler:
    Hopefully this makes a little more sense. Oh ant btw that offset i gave you is the Viridian City mart script that gives you Oaks Parcel.(gotten from a clean fire red rom)

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2019
    Ok, since it seems like you don't know what a level script is, https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=304296
    That should help, I hope. Also, you find level scripts by looking in the header tab, fyi.
    Also, if Gamefreak's default scripts are getting screwed up like that, you probably did overwrite something. That happens when you don't dynamically repoint scripts when you're changing them. (By that I mean pointing a script to a new offset). You should probably make a new script for the rival, it's not that hard.
    EDIT: nvm, got ninja'd

Last edited:
    Years
    You may not be intentionaly overwriting other scripts, it will happen almost everytime you add to a preexisting script. Heres an example:
    just a basic script
    Spoiler:

Now that script has been put into a small amount of freespace into your rom. There is almost always another script before AND after your script. And because of that adding anything to the script will cause it to overlap the next script causing those odd lines at the ends of your code.
    ie: adding something simple like special 0x0 would cause it to glitch out.
    Spoiler:
    Hopefully this makes a little more sense. Oh ant btw that offset i gave you is the Viridian City mart script that gives you Oaks Parcel.(gotten from a clean fire red rom)

So why exactly is it not giving me free space then? The people on these sites act like I'm a complete idiot. I'm not a complete idiot. I know what free space finder is

Joexv

Years
    So why exactly is it not giving me free space then? The people on these sites act like I'm a complete idiot. I'm not a complete idiot. I know what free space finder is

Well you dont need FSF if your making scripts. Just use dynamic 0ffsets instead of static. so use @start instead of a normal offset for you code. Then you should have no problems.

Oh and I hath a question. Is it possible to store all of the players pokemon into the game as to allow you to have more than one party? Kinda of a battle tower like system, just without the battle tower.

JordanB500

Years

the "Error 13 "Mismatch" is just telling you something is wrong with the script you are using ill give you an example

if you want to use a givepokemon command it requires 6 different sets of numbers the first is the pokemon (in hex) the second one is the level (in hex) and the third is an item for the pokemon to hold (also in hex) the three following it are just fillers if you remove them you will get a type mismatch

if you have an anti-virus thats blocking your tools you should try and change the settings on your anti virus and add an exception to the tools you use so they arent blocked

also if anyone knows how do you change the music in a wild pokemon battle with dowildbattle

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back