• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry

Pokémon Trainer
Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2018
    As far as I know, this is undocumented and I found no tools to assist. Does anyone know if it is possible and/or if there are tools for increasing the number of colors in gameboy roms (R/B/Y)? I know that certain circumstances made it possible to play them in color, but I was looking for a way to increase the number of colors to, say, 16, 32, 64, or as many as I desired.

Years
  • I'm trying to create a FireRed hack that crosses the game with Sonic the Hedgehog (go ahead and laugh, this has been a dream project of mine for nearly ten years now), and I'm having problems getting all the tools together. For instance, the only tool I know of to change the text within the game is Advance Text... which doesn't work on my computer. I get an error about 'comctl32.ocx' missing. I've actually tried to hunt down this file in the past, and when I finally found it, another error popped up about another component missing that was related tot he first. Is there any fix for this error for Windows 7, or is there an alternate tool, or do I need to learn how to edit via hexadecimal?

Years
  • I'm trying to create a FireRed hack that crosses the game with Sonic the Hedgehog (go ahead and laugh, this has been a dream project of mine for nearly ten years now), and I'm having problems getting all the tools together. For instance, the only tool I know of to change the text within the game is Advance Text... which doesn't work on my computer. I get an error about 'comctl32.ocx' missing. I've actually tried to hunt down this file in the past, and when I finally found it, another error popped up about another component missing that was related tot he first. Is there any fix for this error for Windows 7, or is there an alternate tool, or do I need to learn how to edit via hexadecimal?

I personally wouldn't use Advanced Text, but here goes: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=341312, after that, read this: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7713277&postcount=25693, and actually you need this, if you don't know how to script: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=185188, and you need XSE: https://www.mediafire.com/?8qe70zzp45bjf91, and Advanced Map 1.9.2 https://www.mediafire.com/?6o0c14m8naadlf0 That's about it.

edit: Does anyone know how to insert trainer sprites in Emerald?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2019
    Hi, does anyone know which variable(s) is Battle Points in Pokemon Emerald?
    I wanted to add some pokemons as reward for spending points.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I want to translate in English the Pokémon names in a Japanese hack, without the five-character limit. Is there a way to do that?
    Thanks

Sorry, no. 5-char limit is hardcoded. You're gonna have to shorten the names by removing some letters. Nothing else you can do beside recreating the hack on an English rom, which will be like 2000 times the work and time.

Its very weird guys!
    But Does anyone here know what the hell is happening in my rom?
    In G3HS and G3T, the evolution is fine, but when I test it in V-boy and My-boy, Pokemon at first stage doeant evolve, I even checked the pointers where evolution method is located and its fine als, I cheked the evolution table, and it is also fine. I also repointed it but same thing happened.

Im using Firered

Is the pokemon being evolved into in the Kanto Dex? If not, do you have to Nat dex with you? Or is it a new evolution method? Or a new stone? Perhaps something went wrong when inserting one of these. Try starting again or re-tracing your steps. Make back-ups.

Hi, does anyone know which variable(s) is Battle Points in Pokemon Emerald?
    I wanted to add some pokemons as reward for spending points.

Have you checked the scripts related to the selling of BP? There might be a 'Compare' in there somewhere, and then a giveitem command after that. To make something like that, look at the original script and recreate it, but modifying it to fit your purpose. So instead of 'giveitem' its 'givepokemon'. You'll also need to add a nickname option, and checking party size.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2021
    And also Why does this happen?
    Quick Questions & Answers

The game adds the reflection to the bottom layer of that tile, and it sometimes affects nearby tiles too.
    Check the behaviour byte of that water border tile in the block editor and remove the reflection. If you want to keep it, play around with the layers and/or move the house a bit.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
  • The game adds the reflection to the bottom layer of that tile, and it sometimes affects nearby tiles too.
    Check the behaviour byte of that water border tile in the block editor and remove the reflection. If you want to keep it, play around with the layers and/or move the house a bit.

Yea I got it working, but thanks for the reply.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    Hi there I am completely new here and am just wondering how do you get to play a game here? You are probably thinking what an idiot I am but I have never made an account here before. Thanks for listening

ZapdosMan

The Principality
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2016
    hey guyz, I am hacking Emerald and I want to know I can edit the starting map in the game(No truck), I mean when the game starts and after the Professors intro, I want my player to spawn in a map. How to do that?

Years
  • Hi there I am completely new here and am just wondering how do you get to play a game here? You are probably thinking what an idiot I am but I have never made an account here before. Thanks for listening

First of all welcome to PC zzreddy187! But about your question. If you want to play a rom hack what you first want to do is to get yourself some roms (Firered and Emerald are the two main games usually hacked here). Now I can't link you to any site with roms so I'm sorry but you'll have to get them yourself. Now after you've found a rom, find a hack you want to play, download a patch for it if they've released one, and patch the corresponding rom with it. I hope this has been decently answered considering I'm awful at explaining things and if you have any questions just VM or PM me. :)

ZapdosMan

The Principality
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2016
    Guyz i am having a HUGE problem with my scripting.
    Its with the warp script, I am hacking emerald and i want to talk to someone who warps me to the inside entrance of Birch's lab.
    I use this script

Spoiler:

and in the game when i talk to that person, the warp song comes and the screen goes black and freezes :(
    Please help! And also the script changes to this

Spoiler:

Derlo

Tired....
    Years
  • anyone know where the data of the behavious of movements in fr?
    found the table [083a7068] with some routines that check if the tile is configured to the correct number. (Ex: check if the tile this set to 0x2a thus the speed of the player decreases when you step on the tile of the stairs.)
    this table is just after the data, which where changed correctly, make possible the movement diagonally.

daniilS

busy trying to do stuff not done yet
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2024
    anyone know where the data of the behavious of movements in fr?
    found the table [083a7068] with some routines that check if the tile is configured to the correct number. (Ex: check if the tile this set to 0x2a thus the speed of the player decreases when you step on the tile of the stairs.)
    this table is just after the data, which where changed correctly, make possible the movement diagonally.

You mean the behaviour bytes? They're checked individually in various routines iirc. At least they were when I checked ledges.

Neko Mizu

Kawaii
    Years
  • I want a guy to be blocking his garden in Viridian City, and will only move if you have a certain amount of something, say badges. How would I do this?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2015
    Hello, I am really a n00b in hacking, specially when talking about code and stuff, but I want to do a hack for my girlfriend. It's not a huge hack, though. Just want to put like every pokemon available, change some text, add 2 new pokémon and put a "wild trainer". It's almost done actually, the only things missing are the 2 new pokémon (which I don't know how to do) and the "wild trainer" (which IDK if is possible to do).
    I'm using White 2 as base. So far I managed to put every pokémon in the wild and changing the texts, but all with software (Pokemon Rom Changer and PPTXT).
    So, I want to know how do I put new pokemon (fakemon) in White 2 and if it is possible to add a "wild trainer" (which is a regular trainer, but you find him/her on the grass, not with a NPC, so you can actually fight him multiples times without using codes and stuff, don't know if it's possible, though). Some other way would to be able to fight regular trainers multiple times, without using codes, if someone know how to do that would help too.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I'm beginning to get down the basics of romhacking but there's one thing I haven't been able to figure out or find information on anywhere.

Say I wanted to add Toxic Spikes to the game. I know how to add a move to the game, etc. However, Toxic Spikes is a field effect. I assume I could implement Toxic Spikes relatively easily by slightly modifying the code that handles how the Spikes field effect works.

My question is, how and where is Spikes implemented? I'm sorry if I'm just searching really ineffectually, but I can't find anything about this anywhere.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back