• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    Is there a way to check whether you're inside/in a cave/route/city from a script/available asm routine?

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2018
    Hi. I hope this is the right thread to post this.

I tried to change some TMs in Emerald following frog's tutorial (I can't post links yet) and everything works fine, but as I change a Pok?mon's TM compatibility through G3HS, the following one will have their Pok?dex entry replaced by "\x" (it also happens when I change a name or ability, maybe even evolutionary methods).

Is there a way to fix or prevent this or an alternative tool to change TM compatibility? I had started to write the entries myself, but I'm afraid some other data will get replaced if I fix them all like this.

Last edited:

colonelsalt

Guaranteed to raise the smile
    Years
    Is there a reliable way to find particular sprites/images in unlZ-GBA? I changed the intro sprite for Professor Oak many months ago and stupidly forgot to note the repointed offset.

Now, after trying my hand at Black Charizard's 239-color title screen tutorial, I've found that changing the title screen palette changes Oak's palette as well, and I should like to re-insert his sprite to remedy this-- except I can't find it anymore. The player and rival sprites appear more or less in their normal unlZ-GBA indices, but the Professor Oak sprite is nowhere to be found.

Is there a way to solve this without having to carefully look through every single image in the ROM?

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2016
    What is the general consensus opinion on using tiles already found in the game? I'm editing Professor Oak's lab in Fire Red to a post-office and, as you might've guessed, there aren't a lot of tiles to go with a post office.

So really, all the tiles for boxes and tables are already in the game. Would it be amateurish (which is exactly what I am, but I digress) to just redo Oak's lab with the same tiles or should I just find more updated versions of the tiles in the game?

Years
    What is the general consensus opinion on using tiles already found in the game? I'm editing Professor Oak's lab in Fire Red to a post-office and, as you might've guessed, there aren't a lot of tiles to go with a post office.

So really, all the tiles for boxes and tables are already in the game. Would it be amateurish (which is exactly what I am, but I digress) to just redo Oak's lab with the same tiles or should I just find more updated versions of the tiles in the game?
    No, there are a ton of hacks that use the same tiles as vanilla. And even if you wanted new ones, you'd be hard pressed to find indoor ones that look good, so it'd be fine.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I'm making a firered hack, and I want to make it so you get a hoenn starter, and your rival gets another pokemon (like mareep) but it looks weird, because he is choosing between the same poke balls as you.

basiccly I want the professor to hand him the pokemon, instead of him going to the table.

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2016
    No, there are a ton of hacks that use the same tiles as vanilla. And even if you wanted new ones, you'd be hard pressed to find indoor ones that look good, so it'd be fine.
    Thank you very much. That takes a lot of pressure off of my shoulders.

So now an actual question on scripting; Is it impossible for a script to be on the same place as a warp? For example, when the player enters a house he's automatically moved somewhere inside the house?

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Thank you very much. That takes a lot of pressure off of my shoulders.

So now an actual question on scripting; Is it impossible for a script to be on the same place as a warp? For example, when the player enters a house he's automatically moved somewhere inside the house?

Assuming you're talking about activating a script as soon as you enter the house, yes, it's called a level script. Here's a guide to make one.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2015
    Hi,

I'm looking to hide the level of battling Pokemon in FR/LG - i.e. a wild Pidgey attacks and I don't see its level or gender for that matter, it could be a question mark, whatever, without actually changing the level or gender of the encounters. I'd also like to hide the # of HP my pokemon has. I'm not technically proficient by any means, so the simpler the fix, the better.

If it's already been posted, sorry, I haven't the time to search the entire forum!

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
    Years
    I'm making a firered hack, and I want to make it so you get a hoenn starter, and your rival gets another pokemon (like mareep) but it looks weird, because he is choosing between the same poke balls as you.

basiccly I want the professor to hand him the pokemon, instead of him going to the table.

If I understand your question correctly, you'd just need a simple givepokemon script.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2017
    Are there any tutorials out there for making your own GBA cartridges for a hack? Not trying to sell these lol, making them more so for the novelty.

Probably obvious but I'm not talking about flash carts in case anyone was going to suggest it. I just want to turn on the GBA and instantly start playing, no menus.

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
    Years
    How do I properly refresh the map after using setmaptile? I've tried using the "special" and it never works; I always have to leave the map then go back in order for the tile(s) to have changed.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    How do I properly refresh the map after using setmaptile? I've tried using the "special" and it never works; I always have to leave the map then go back in order for the tile(s) to have changed.

Put this code...
    Code:
    special 0x8E
    ...right after your setmaptile codes.

If you're using a level script, then you should use Script Type #1, which is "setmaptile" script.

Cam

dum camel
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2022
    Does anyone know where i can get Unnamed Trainer Editor?

The links on the thread are dead, and im not going to install VB 2010 just so i can compile the source off the creator's github once.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2018
    I'm trying to make a 6th gen-lite Emerald hack and am adding 71 moves from later games. Nothing too fancy (no Elemental Pledges or Terrain moves with particularly complicated scripting), just moves that might logically exist in the 3rd gen game (like Night Slash or Draco Meteor, with effects that more or less exist already).

Is there a way to add additional TMs? A quick look at Bulbapedia shows that Emerald's save structure allows for up to 64 TM and HM slots in the bag, and of course 58 are in the base game, leaving 6 free slots for new TMs. How much work does it take to add more? If the answer is "a whole lot," then would it be more practical to add them as move tutor moves instead?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back