• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 22, 2018
    Some tools, such as Hopeless Trainer Editor and G3HS, display a series of automatically selected pointers to chose from when one applies certain changes (for example editing a Trainer to give them six Pokémon instead of one, thus requiring more space than the original). Now, where do these pointers come from? In the beginning I thought they were those which contain enough free space to contain the new data without corrupting the game, but I see something bad happens every time I use them

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Some tools, such as Hopeless Trainer Editor and G3HS, display a series of automatically selected pointers to chose from when one applies certain changes (for example editing a Trainer to give them six Pokémon instead of one, thus requiring more space than the original). Now, where do these pointers come from? In the beginning I thought they were those which contain enough free space to contain the new data without corrupting the game, but I see something bad happens every time I use them

What you're seeing should be valid offsets to free space within the ROM. What do you mean something bad happens?

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2018
    What you're seeing should be valid offsets to free space within the ROM. What do you mean something bad happens?

Thanks for answering. I forgot to specify I'm using Emerald, by the way.
    The game freezes whenever I reach some point. It changes any time I try to edit the ROM. The first time it was whenever I wanted a Pokémon to forget a move, the second whenever Wally sent out Zigzagoon to catch Ralts and the third whenever the first Youngster on Route 102 (I edited him) tried to have his Bulbasaur use Leech Seed on one of my Pokémon.

Since this always happens when I select one of those pointers, I was wondering if by doing so I mistakenly deleted some existing data, since automatic stuff is very comfortable to use but not always reliable.

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2016
    Hi there, I'm pretty new to scripting and I have a kind of general/simple question. My apologies if I'm overlooking something very basic here, but when it comes to editing a script in AdvanceMap, how do you take an existing script with a specific offset and edit it without having to directly alter the post-compiled script? I have tried making a new script with the same offset within the ROM with the modifications, but that didn't appear to work. I know it's a very generic kind of issue, but I can't imagine making a new script taking up new memory every single time I want to make significant edits to a script. I feel like that would be the perfect formula for running out of space. If anyone could clarify it, I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks!

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Hi there, I'm pretty new to scripting and I have a kind of general/simple question. My apologies if I'm overlooking something very basic here, but when it comes to editing a script in AdvanceMap, how do you take an existing script with a specific offset and edit it without having to directly alter the post-compiled script? I have tried making a new script with the same offset within the ROM with the modifications, but that didn't appear to work. I know it's a very generic kind of issue, but I can't imagine making a new script taking up new memory every single time I want to make significant edits to a script. I feel like that would be the perfect formula for running out of space. If anyone could clarify it, I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks!

If you are adding to a script in any way, adding commands or a single letter to a string of text, you need to repoint it. If your change does not alter the number of bytes in total then you do not need to repoint.

To repoint it, open it in your scripting program and delete the existing offset and use a dynamic. You do not need to change all offsets, only the ones that you have increased the size of.

Make sens? :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2023
    Is it possible with standard scripting to check a value in the memory and run a script if it's less than, greater than, etc. to a set?

I have a DNS installed and know where to find the byte where the hour is stored. I was thinking about having an OW battle where it only happens at Night, like how Drifloon acts in DPP (albeit it only appears on Fridays). I figure this is either an easy command that I somehow missed or would be some sort of ASM (in which case I'll have to take my question to the other thread).

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Is it possible with standard scripting to check a value in the memory and run a script if it's less than, greater than, etc. to a set?

I have a DNS installed and know where to find the byte where the hour is stored. I was thinking about having an OW battle where it only happens at Night, like how Drifloon acts in DPP (albeit it only appears on Fridays). I figure this is either an easy command that I somehow missed or would be some sort of ASM (in which case I'll have to take my question to the other thread).

I'm 99% certain that you can use copyfarbyte and compare in conjunction with the DNS system. I would have thought this is mentioned somewhere in the patch's documentation or their discussion thread?

colonelsalt

Guaranteed to raise the smile
    Years
  • Is there a known way to change which palette is used during the flying animation in FireRed?

The original animation, of course, uses palette #0, which is Red's normal palette, but I'd like to avoid having to change the actual values contained in that.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2023
    I'm 99% certain that you can use copyfarbyte and compare in conjunction with the DNS system. I would have thought this is mentioned somewhere in the patch's documentation or their discussion thread?

So we're thinking

comparefarbytetobyte 0x03005542 0x10
    if 0x2 @night
    comparefarbytetobyte 0x3005542 0x06
    if 0x0 @night
    goto @day

would work? That should trigger it before 6am and after 6pm, right?

Edit: My apologizes, I thought I had posted this in the scripting help thread. My fault. I'll start posting there if this isn't the solution.

Edit 2: It worked! Although I got my times mixed up (0x10 would be 4pm, not 6pm. Derp.) Thanks!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2016
    If you are adding to a script in any way, adding commands or a single letter to a string of text, you need to repoint it. If your change does not alter the number of bytes in total then you do not need to repoint.

To repoint it, open it in your scripting program and delete the existing offset and use a dynamic. You do not need to change all offsets, only the ones that you have increased the size of.

Make sens? :)

Ah, that makes sense. So when I want to repoint the script, I'm just changing its offset to an available one, correct? If that's the case, would doing this many times consume a lot of available space on the ROM? Thanks again

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Ah, that makes sense. So when I want to repoint the script, I'm just changing its offset to an available one, correct? If that's the case, would doing this many times consume a lot of available space on the ROM? Thanks again

Most scripts take up only a handful of bytes; the problem of filling up a ROM just isn't an issue :). If you're making frequent changes to fix a script you could always delete the old bytes (fill them with FF) as you go.

But yeah you should be good! :)

Years
  • Has anyone looked into or managed to change the PC Box wallpapers [Emerald, preferably]?
    I have come across the unique items for custom box wallpapers (the sick kid in Rustboro) for Emerald in unLZ although that's not really sufficient.

It seems to be one thing that keeps crossing my mind that I've never seen mentioned before.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • Anyone know how the Mach or Acro Bike is called in Emerald? Danny says it is ASM but I think it is a script ... tried opening the item's Field Usage but it is just mumbo jumbo and when I do a callasm to th field usage offset, doesn't work for me.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2021
    Does anyone know how FR handles the "cloudy" weather, aka darkening the screen? I would like to increase that since it's not really that dark.

colonelsalt

Guaranteed to raise the smile
    Years
  • Is there a way to remove options from the start menu in FireRed? I should like to make it so the Trainer card option is unavailable.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    2 questions:
    If anyone can help me with #1 than #2 won't be nesscasary, but anyways:

#1: can anyone help make the title screen, and remove the button explanation from firered? I'd like it to be a magikarp and say "Pokemon Qwertle Version"

#2 If I have to do it myself than I was watching a video and the person was using cyclone, but I can't seem to find that anywhere. anyone have a download link or an alternative?

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
    Years
  • Is there a way to remove options from the start menu in FireRed? I should like to make it so the Trainer card option is unavailable.

FBI has done this. Check out this post. It's about changing the Fly system, but one of the things that's done to make it work is removing "EXIT" from the Start menu. Scroll down to "Hacking the Start Menu".

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back