• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronburnsyou

Hi, I'm not a pokemon.
Years
  • Howdy.

I'm a bit new to hex editing, and I'm wondering if it's possible to add moves to a pokemon's level-up moveset in Pokemon Crystal. At this point I'm able to change the move and level it's learned by editing already-existing moves, but I want to know if it's possible to add new ones all together (and if so, how I would go about doing that).

Last edited:

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
  • Alright, removing the flag causes the person to disappear when activating them after the battle only to reappear immediately, which is why I thought I needed a flag to begin with (I had this trouble when I first started doing pokeball item scripts.)
    Setting a flag makes them disappear, but only when activating them after battle. The only trainerbattle parameters it allows me to do are trainerbattle 0x0 0x009 0x1, so when you say try 0x1 I assume you mean trainerbattle 0x1, which it won't allow me to do.
    I studied Diego's tutorial a little more last night, and I'm wondering if I shouldn't be using the gym battle as a template, as the trainers I want to disappear are sort of special events like gym leaders would be.

I think you are more or less misunderstanding trainerbattle. If you want to have a person who disapears right after the battle. It should look something like this.

Spoiler:

I think you can also use trainerbattle 0x1 with this as well.

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    I think you are more or less misunderstanding trainerbattle. If you want to have a person who disapears right after the battle. It should look something like this.

Spoiler:

I think you can also use trainerbattle 0x1 with this as well.
    Still getting the same effect. I'm trying to figure out what I'm not doing, what I've overlooked. Unknowns are set to 3 across the board, and hidesprite works with sprite pokemon encounters I've done and overworld items. Guess I'll look over Diego's tutorial again and see what I missed.

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
  • Still getting the same effect. I'm trying to figure out what I'm not doing, what I've overlooked. Unknowns are set to 3 across the board, and hidesprite works with sprite pokemon encounters I've done and overworld items. Guess I'll look over Diego's tutorial again and see what I missed.

You used the script that I posted above and got the same effect as you did initially?

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2016
    Hi Folks,
    This is my first post, but I've used numerous tips and tutorials from this site in my rom hacking so far, so thank you all for that. There's a problem though, that I've encountered that I can't see to google the answer for.
    Rom I'm Hacking: Fire Red

Problem: I have new Fakemon Evolutions of first gen pokemon, some functioning by happiness, some by evo stones. I can't say if the happiness evos aren't working, but I know for a fact stone evo's aren't. I have hacked the game such that I can evolve pretty much any other pokemon in the game regardless of GEN, Ex: Teddiursa -> Ursaring using the Misc. Editor, so it's probably not Dex related, as that's the answer I generally find when I google this.

Ex. I changed the game so that Growlithe evolves by level and Arcanine Evolves into Fakemon Volcanine by Fire Stone, but When I use the stone the game goes into the use item animation, and then goes "huh?" and stops.

I have other Pokemon that evolve via happiness (Starmie into Starone) and I can't tell if that function is wrong too because I haven't beat the elite four and unlocked Daisy Oak's happiness checking function. I just know that none of those pokemon have evolved either, which could be part of the same problem.

Why is this happening?

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    You used the script that I posted above and got the same effect as you did initially?
    Yes. However, I am going to attempt to try it one more time tonight with a clean rom to test. I'll report results.

CapnCrunch

Captain
    Years
  • Im making a simple Hack of Fire Red so im not doing anything major. But I ran across a huge bug when crossing from Rt 14 to Rt 15. The game crashes as soon as you change maps. The only thing i changed about either of them was removing the Cut Tree so you dont need Cut to access that area in Rt 15. Im not too sure why its doing this, if anyone has any suggestions, thatd be great.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Im making a simple Hack of Fire Red so im not doing anything major. But I ran across a huge bug when crossing from Rt 14 to Rt 15. The game crashes as soon as you change maps. The only thing i changed about either of them was removing the Cut Tree so you dont need Cut to access that area in Rt 15. Im not too sure why its doing this, if anyone has any suggestions, thatd be great.

Try giving every NPC in there the [No Movement] movement with A-Map and see what happens.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    This worked!! Thank you a bunch :D

We can probably safely assume that one of the NPCs in the map had the [Look Down] movement before, which causes the crash. To prevent this from happening again, you should avoid using the [Look Down] movement that's right above the [Hidden] movement.
    Quick Questions & Answers

CapnCrunch

Captain
    Years
  • We can probably safely assume that one of the NPCs in the map had the [Look Down] movement before, which causes the crash. To prevent this from happening again, you should avoid using the [Look Down] movement that's right above the [Hidden] movement.

How does this cause the crash exactly? Plenty of default trainers in fire red and even items have the look down movement. Is it because i removed a person event (Cut tree)?

Years
    • Seen today

CapnCrunch

Captain
    Years
  • Another question:
    I made an area where you could find jirachi. I used PKSV ui's script generator to make a script and i added it using the correct flag in A-Map. The battle works perfectly, and if you kill it or run away, the sprite disapears like it should. But if you catch the jirachi, it will let you battle again and again. Any ideas what i can add to the script or change? Im fairly new to scripting although i understand what most of it means.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen today
    Another question:
    I made an area where you could find jirachi. I used PKSV ui's script generator to make a script and i added it using the correct flag in A-Map. The battle works perfectly, and if you kill it or run away, the sprite disapears like it should. But if you catch the jirachi, it will let you battle again and again. Any ideas what i can add to the script or change? Im fairly new to scripting although i understand what most of it means.

Spoiler:

According to this, Special 0xB4 returns 0x7 if the pokemon is caught, so replace that 5 with 0x7.
    But there is a more efficient way of doing this.
    compare LASTRESULT 4
    if == jump 0x8162561
    compare LASTRESULT 5
    if == jump 0x8162561
    These two jump to the same location. You could make a if > jump 0x8162561 (I'm not sure of the syntax for PKSV though, so check) and it will catch the two results and put them to the same spot.

CapnCrunch

Captain
    Years
  • Special 0xB4 returns 0x7 if the pokemon is caught, so replace that 5 with 0x7.

Im sorry, but replace what 5? The compare LASTRESULT 5?

EDIT: This worked! Only issue is after you catch it, it says "the wild mewtwo fled..." lol Not the biggest issue in the world but it works

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back