• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick! Suggest a JRPG

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • You have someone in front of you who is completely new to the JRPG games. (not me, just a hypothetical person!)

What JRPG game(s) would you suggest, and why? As in, try to avoid lists, and try to provide some good reasoning behind your answer. Remember, this is but a recommendation from you, to others! Also, think about how the game would appeal for gamers, and why would it be even worth playing to begin with~

Again, this is just a discussion topic, so, go wild! C:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Hm...well, there are a couple I can think of, but I'll try to avoid a list.

Persona 4 and Persona 4 Golden are very easy to recommend. Other than the localization doing a good job of making the Westerner feel at home while still reminding them that they're in Japan, the game is a wonderful mesh of genres that doesn't overwhelm the player with any specific one, and it's because of this mesh that's neither too complicated nor too lite that it becomes an accessible piece among those not interested in the genre or new to it. It's a well-designed game with great characters and a good story, as well as music that can both be abrasively J-poppy (and whether that abrasion is a bad thing depends on the player) and contrarily varied.

Inazuma Eleven is another one, and the reason for this is pretty simple. As I always say, "Inazuma Eleven is the Soccer game for the non-Soccer fan" (Or the Sports game for the non-Sports fan). Substitute "Soccer" for "Football" if you feel the need, but if the phrase applies to you, you probably don't care anyways. Granted, it's great for those who enjoy soccer, too (hence why Latin/South America is hooked on it). Apart from the game having juvenile charm sprinkled with various amounts of grit, Inazuma Eleven is a strange mesh between the RPG and Sports genres. It being strange in that the fusion of these two works so well that it's eerie, and even moreso in that neither of the two genres ever overtake each other. Inazuma Eleven is ridiculous enough to attract the odd onlooker that happens to see a TV spot or some gameplay. At the same time, it functions as an RPG would, with items, levels, and character progression about. And, of course, the core gameplay is that of a sports game that draws elements from various RPG subsets, making it quite the accessible title and great for an RPG newcomer.

Finally, since this definitely isn't a list, The World Ends With You. This game isn't easy, and it may not be the most straightforward, but I don't think that that stops it from being an accessible title. TWEWY is probably like no game I could name nor any game I could find. It's one of the most unique titles I've ever played, and also one of my favorites. But the reason that this RPG works for a newcomer is because...well, it's one of the most unique titles I've ever played. The music sprawls several genres, with the OST successfully painting the picture of Shibuya (or society), showing the diverse tastes and ideas of those who dwell in it. The themes in the game start off almost clichéd, with a whiny "nobody understands me" protagonist named Neku, but as it progresses, both Neku and the game's initial natures, seem intentionally simplified and troped as the two expand into more complex and likable entities rather quickly. These two things make the game very easy to access for pretty much anyone, without clinging any specific crowd and calling out only to those who have lives- worlds- of their own to play it. It's gameplay is hard to explain since it's so varied and tied to a particular player's preference (which ties into one of the game's major themes), but it's because of the variety that the gameplay brings that everyone is on an equal playing field. Everyone starts on the same level. All this in mind, I think it's pretty easy to see why this game is accessible for a newcomer.

---

So yeah, those are my three picks for what I would recommend to a JRPG newcomer. I would also recommend that they not tie themselves the Japan, only. Same for Western RPG fans. After all, JRPG and WRPG are only really terms to segregate the type of RPG by location, and I've never been fond of that.

So those are my picks. Definitely not a list, just three walls of text. 'Cause everybody likes walls of text, right?

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Final Fantasy X- Because it's FF. But yes one reason is simply because it's Final Fantasy, one of the most well known series of JRPG's. But X specifically because it was the first version on the PS2 so it has decent graphics on the original game, and the HD remaster made them better, it has a great storyline, great music, pretty great voices, and it really just gets you into the game all around. It's not a simple game, but it's not impossibly difficult (until you get to the Dark Aeons and Penance and all of the monster arena crap.) And it was really my first JRPG, so it's great for beginners.

And for now that's all I can think of, since X would be the first game I would suggest to anyone from the FF series.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I would recommend Bravely Default. I think it's a game that perfectly represents the genre. Portability is also great, and it's on a popular console so it's easy to get ahold of, assuming this person is strict on having physical copies and not emulating things.

BD is a nice return to old style JRPG games like the older Final Fantasy games and JRPGs for the SNES, such as Lufia. I personally found all the main characters to be very compelling and likable. They're all very different from each other and it's nice to see such an odd group mesh the way they do. They end up becoming very close. Characters in mind, the voice acting is also great and I'm speaking for the English voices. Yeah. Good English voices! Haha.

The asterisk system is a ton of fun to play with and I like that characters aren't limited to being one or two things. Everything is open to them. Though there are a few leans that some characters take, I don't think it's major enough to point you in a certain direction. For example, you could make Edea a Black Mage if you really wanted, even if she might be slightly better at being a Monk.

The music is also worth a mention...but I think I'd save that for your ears.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • It must be Persona.
    And probably Persona 3 Portable. It utilizes all important JRPG traits. Turn based battle system, dungeon crawling, costumes (xD).
    I chose P3P because you can download it with Japanese voice which is another important JRPG trait.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • It must be Persona.
    And probably Persona 3 Portable. It utilizes all important JRPG traits. Turn based battle system, dungeon crawling, costumes (xD).
    I chose P3P because you can download it with Japanese voice which is another important JRPG trait.
    But remember, this is important traits for a JRPG newcomer. I doubt Japanese voice tracks are a priority for them (especially since half of its cast is pretty solid. And then there's Fuuka, who we don't talk about).

And also, I don't want to rant about this (and I won't, this'll be brief), but there seems to be some misconception that JRPG = Turn-Based RPG (this isn't in reference to Satoshi, just in general). A lot of times I see people refer to the latter as the former, when in truth it's only one subset. One that also applies to WRPGs. JRPG just stands for "Japanese Role-Playing Game", which implies literally nothing other than the fact that the game is Japanese and a Roleplaying Game. It doesn't imply Turn Based Battles. It doesn't imply cutesy characters. It doesn't imply kids trying to save the world. All it implies (or entails, rather) is that the game is Japanese. And if I really wanted to introduce someone to the genre, I'd probably really have to consider whether their first game should be a TBRPG or not, because it seems to be poison despite the fact that the days of non-RPG Maker Turn-Based RPG saturation are years passed.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • But remember, this is important traits for a JRPG newcomer. I doubt Japanese voice tracks are a priority for them (especially since half of its cast is pretty solid. And then there's Fuuka, who we don't talk about).
    It's JRPG, it must have Japanese track :P

And also, I don't want to rant about this (and I won't, this'll be brief), but there seems to be some misconception that JRPG = Turn-Based RPG (this isn't in reference to Satoshi, just in general). A lot of times I see people refer to the latter as the former, when in truth it's only one subset. One that also applies to WRPGs. JRPG just stands for "Japanese Role-Playing Game", which implies literally nothing other than the fact that the game is Japanese and a Roleplaying Game. It doesn't imply Turn Based Battles. It doesn't imply cutesy characters. It doesn't imply kids trying to save the world. All it implies (or entails, rather) is that the game is Japanese. And if I really wanted to introduce someone to the genre, I'd probably really have to consider whether their first game should be a TBRPG or not, because it seems to be poison despite the fact that the days of non-RPG Maker Turn-Based RPG saturation are years passed.
    The point is majority. Majority of JRPGs are Turn Based.
    Obviously there are SRGPs and open battles but in most cases you find JRPG with turn based system.

And cute characters are also a must :P
    Like... let's talk about Dark Souls, it is JRPG by definition of the term but at first glance, you wouldn't categorize it as JRPG because it's missing cute characters and anime graphics.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years

• It's JRPG, it must have Japanese track :P

Obviously there are SRGPs and open battles but in most cases you find JRPG with turn based system.

Like... let's talk about Dark Souls, it is JRPG by definition of the term but at first glance, you wouldn't categorize it as JRPG because it's missing cute characters and anime graphics.
    A JRPG is just a Japanese Role Playing Game. The only real requirement is that it be a Role Playing Game from Japan. While they're often characterized by their art styles, various themes, and styles, they aren't exclu

And sure, there were a lot of turn-based in the past, but lately a lot of TBRPGs have been either American or European which, even if they are anime-styled, don't classify as JRPGs. But I can easily pick a number of JRPGS that have come out in the past 10 years that aren't turn based. Dark Souls, Inazuma Eleven, Eternal Sonata, and of the Tales games, Dragon's Dogma, Rune Factory, Final Fantasy XII/XIII Trilogy, The World Ends With You, etc. And if we're counting Turn Based SRPGs, the Fire Emblem titles, Valkyria Chronicles, so on and so forth. Heck, in the past couple of years, there's been an odd drought of TBRPGs. Which is a good thing, I'd say; there's certainly a lot of genre fatigue there for a lot of people. I often hear of people basically having given them up or taken a break from them because they dominated the NES/SNES/PSX RPG era (and, because of that, there was something of a lack of variety since, at the time, TBRPGs could get away with being samey. That didn't really change until the mid-late 2000s, though).

But it would be very difficult to introduce just anyone to the genre if cute characters, anime-styled graphics, and a Japanese voice track were prerequisites. It seems a lot like you'd be pidgeonholing them into a very hard to fill niche that excludes JRPGs in the a very exclusive group, which shouldn't be the case.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    If I was gonna suggest a JRPG to someone, I'd probably recommend the Tales series to them, probably Symphonia and Vesperia specifically. The series tends to have solid stories, characters, and battle system, and last a good long while and have decent replay value. The Xenosaga trilogy is pretty good too (not so much the 2nd one), if they had a PS2/PS3 with backwards compatibility.

And I'd recommend PSO as well....so someone else can sell their soul to Dark Falz and spend an eternity together with me trying to hunt Sealed J-Swords and defeat Olga Flow on Ultimate mode.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I'd say Radiant Historia. It's well designed, has beautiful graphics, awesome music, is one of the few RPGs that handle the time travelling theme really well (up to a point where many people consider it to be the true successor of Chrono Trigger), the plot is pretty deep, the battle system is fun, the characters really likable, ...

The only downside really is, that it wasn't released internationally, so importing might be the only way to get your hands on this game (at least for me it was).

Yukari

It's JRPG, it must have Japanese track :P

A JRPG is just a Japanese Role Playing Game. The only real requirement is that it be a Role Playing Game from Japan. While they're often characterized by their art styles, various themes, and styles, they aren't exclu

And sure, there were a lot of turn-based in the past, but lately a lot of TBRPGs have been either American or European which, even if they are anime-styled, don't classify as JRPGs. But I can easily pick a number of JRPGS that have come out in the past 10 years that aren't turn based. Dark Souls, Inazuma Eleven, Eternal Sonata, and of the Tales games, Dragon's Dogma, Rune Factory, Final Fantasy XII/XIII Trilogy, The World Ends With You, etc. And if we're counting Turn Based SRPGs, the Fire Emblem titles, Valkyria Chronicles, so on and so forth. Heck, in the past couple of years, there's been an odd drought of TBRPGs. Which is a good thing, I'd say; there's certainly a lot of genre fatigue there for a lot of people. I often hear of people basically having given them up or taken a break from them because they dominated the NES/SNES/PSX RPG era (and, because of that, there was something of a lack of variety since, at the time, TBRPGs could get away with being samey. That didn't really change until the mid-late 2000s, though).

But it would be very difficult to introduce just anyone to the genre if cute characters, anime-styled graphics, and a Japanese voice track were prerequisites. It seems a lot like you'd be pidgeonholing them into a very hard to fill niche that excludes JRPGs in the a very exclusive group, which shouldn't be the case.

Japanese Role-Playing games aren't categorized by Anime Style Graphic or by the fact that they're from Japan, but by the cultural influence in the games. Western Role-playing games are influnced by the western culture in the same sense. So it has nothing to do with Art style or Gameplay or anything like that. And just because a Role-Playing game is Japanese doesn't make it a Japanese RPG. For example; I don't think that Dark Souls is a Jrpg. Sure it's from Japan, but it doesn't have any of the JRPG elements. Lets look to Persona 3 as an example. Persona 3 has a rather linear plot forcing the player down a preset path with no way to escape that, whereas Dark Souls has an open world, and lacks the emphasis on story present in Persona 3, or other JRPGs in general. Though there are JRPGs with an Open World like Dark Souls. In addition, Dark Souls has a huge emphasis on gameplay not present in JRPGs. And it incorporates Action Adventure game elements into the gameplay. There are plenty of Real Time JRPs like The last Story, Xenoblade Chronicles and the others mentioned, but not quite like Dark Souls. Games like Persona 3 and 4, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Warrior all have linear plots and lack the emphasis on exploration that is present in Western RPGs like Ultima, The Elder Scrolls, and Baldur's Gate. But Japanese and Western Role Playing games aren't the only types of games. There are Action and Strategy RPGs which are in a category all their own. What sets these apart are the gameplay, Strategy is obviously the focus in Strategy Rpgs, While combat is central in Action RPGs. But not all games fall into any one of these categories, some are totally in their own category.

Of course I could be wrong, but that's my perspective.

But to stay on topic I would suggest Final Fantasy 7. It may have aged rather poorly but is still fun to play. The game has an excellent story and fun gameplay. Though it was innovative the combat system has been copied in many other JRPGs, but it makes for a good introduction to the Genre.

Another good one is Persona 3, I haven't play 4, but the is an excellent game. It combines simulation game elements with the Shin Megami Tensi turn based style gameplay. And it helps introduce the weird Japanese culture to a westerner.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Japanese Role-Playing games aren't categorized by Anime Style Graphic or by the fact that they're from Japan, but by the cultural influence in the games. Western Role-playing games are influnced by the western culture in the same sense. So it has nothing to do with Art style or Gameplay or anything like that. And just because a Role-Playing game is Japanese doesn't make it a Japanese RPG. For example; I don't think that Dark Souls is a Jrpg. Sure it's from Japan, but it doesn't have any of the JRPG elements.

Lets look to Persona 3 as an example. Persona 3 has a rather linear plot forcing the player down a preset path with no way to escape that, whereas Dark Souls has an open world, and lacks the emphasis on story present in Persona 3, or other JRPGs in general. Though there are JRPGs with an Open World like Dark Souls. In addition, Dark Souls has a huge emphasis on gameplay not present in JRPGs. And it incorporates Action Adventure game elements into the gameplay.

There are plenty of Real Time JRPs like The last Story, Xenoblade Chronicles and the others mentioned, but not quite like Dark Souls. Games like Persona 3 and 4, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Warrior all have linear plots and lack the emphasis on exploration that is present in Western RPGs like Ultima, The Elder Scrolls, and Baldur's Gate. But Japanese and Western Role Playing games aren't the only types of games. There are Action and Strategy RPGs which are in a category all their own. What sets these apart are the gameplay, Strategy is obviously the focus in Strategy Rpgs, While combat is central in Action RPGs. But not all games fall into any one of these categories, some are totally in their own category.

Of course I could be wrong, but that's my perspective.
    Well this is where I would go into games that I wouldn't introduce to a newcomer.

Etrian Odyssey is a JRPG. It's Japanese, and if you wanna get niche, it has cute anime-styled characters and is even Turn Based. But it's basically the Dark Souls of Dungeon Crawlers - practically no story. Nope, you're just plopped down in this world where you have to go through a dungeon (or dungeons). Exploration and mapmaking are key and, in fact, I'd say it's less story oriented than Dark Souls because, unlike EO, Dark Souls puts a huge emphasis on putting its lore in the world, rather than necessarily making the player follow it. It's a nice bit of world building. -But that's not why I wouldn't introduce it to a newcomer. The reason for that is because it's hard. Very hard.

Riding on that train, any one of the early Shin Megami Tensei games. SMT's always been a unique series, generally focusing on the realistic side of both Japan and those that roam it. This counts for any of the games, SMT, Persona (depending on which one), Devil Survivor, etc. But one thing that is important to note, that makes it difficult to say, by what you've said, makes a JRPG what it is, is that the early SMT games (or heck, most of them, even the subsets. Persona 3's probably the black sheep in this (not necessarily for better or for worse), but the other Persona games, 1, 2, and 4 still qualify). Other than generally being a nonlinear game, for most of them, you could say they were somewhere else and change very little and they would work somewhere else. The people act as people would act in situations their in, and they do take place in Japan, but they don't force Japan on you. Because there's no need. It's about Japanese people doing Japanese things, but not in the sense that the more anime-centric games do. Characters pretty much only react as one would expect them to when hit with an insult that, realistically, would cut someone down. They react to fear as one would when faced with an unknown, so on and so forth. Again, not why I wouldn't recommend it. These games are even harder than EO, especially when you get to Nocturne.

I DO recommend those to you guys, though. They're both fantastic games.

There are others that I can pull out if needed- even some on the WRPG side to give some parallel, but I don't want to overload this post with text anymore than I have.

But the misconception that I see here is that you seem to think that JRPG and WRPG are genres in themselves. There is no such thing as a game that is just an RPG. It doesn't exist. It's not like Action games or First Person Shooters, where you can just slap a label on it and you have an accurate description. RPGs are different, they can only be described by their subsets. Persona? Turn-Based RPG. Rune Factory? Action RPG. and of course there are fun ones like Project X Zone, which is a TBSARPG (Turn-Based Strategy Action Role Playing Game). But the point is, a Role-Playing Game is only a parent to many, many, MANY other genres. FPSRPG, TBRPG, RRPG...it's kinda like MMO. MMO, by itself, doesn't make sense, and MMORPG, by itself, does not make sense- well, the latter does because most MMORPGs are created in a post-Everquest/WoW mindset that makes its description accurate, but by itself, assuming they diversify, it makes no sense. Same with RPGs.

All of that is why I push for JRPGs and WRPGs to be recognized for what they are- their titles were made with that in mind. After all, if it were about cultural influence, it'd be pretty hard to qualify a lot of games as Japanese or Western RPGs. A lot of JRPGs take cues from anime (as do various WRPGs, and there's no such thing as an Anime RPG, nor do you call Mass Effect a Space RPG), and a lot of WRPGs take cues from various things (This WRPG, for example). They can be similar, and often you see one take notes from the other and even converge (something I'm fighting for). I don't hate many things, but I do hate Japanese/Western segregation. Someone might say that they need to be separate for originality, but niche will always exist. JRPG and WRPG are just descriptive parent genres that, like RPGs, can't stand on their own. Nor do I think they should exists. They would just be considered RPGs and go from there.

Last edited:

Yukari

All of that is why I push for JRPGs and WRPGs to be recognized for what they are- they're titles were made with that in mind. After all, if it were about cultural influence, it'd be pretty hard to qualify a lot of games as Japanese or Western RPGs. A lot of JRPGs take cues from anime (as do various WRPGs, and there's no such thing as an Anime RPG, nor do you call Mass Effect a Space RPG), and a lot of WRPGs take cues from various things (This WRPG, for example). They can be similar, and often you see one take notes from the other and even converge (something I'm fighting for). I don't hate many things, but I do hate Japanese/Western segregation. Someone might say that they need to be separate for originality, but niche will always exist. JRPG and WRPG are just descriptive parent genres that, like RPGs, can't stand on their own. Nor do I think they should exists. They would just be considered RPGs and go from there.
    I honestly agree with this. But for better or worse they are considered genres themselves.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Go buy yourself a PS2, and just roll with whatever you can get. Final Fantasy XII, KH2, Radiata Stories, Valkyrie Profile 2:Silmeria, Dragon Quest 8, Suikoden 3, the list goes on and on. If you want something that's easier to buy, then maybe a 3DS? You got the entire DS library, and the 3DS has some decent stuff too. But yeah, infinite space, the 4 Dragon Quests, avalon code, radiant historia, much like the PS2 it goes on and on.

So yeah, I wouldn't suggest a game, as much as a console.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Seems we can't even agree on the basic requirements for JRPGs... interesting =D

Well... let's all agree on Atelier, okay? =D
    I find it more worrisome than interesting. Mainly because if you think that, then others may think those things too, despite the name. And if others think that JRPGs are a niche in themselves, that not only makes much of the Japanese market blocked off to much of the Western audiences, but it also segregates even further. I can't say that makes me a happy duck, I prefer a world where neither term exists and we just have RPGs with niches in between than...this.

As an RPG for a newcomer? That, I couldn't say. I've only ever played Atelier Annie, and that's supposedly not like the others. I would recommend that one, though. It's a nice and cheap little commerce RPG that's pretty and pretty accessible. Kinda like a rich man's Recettear, though I would probably recommend Recettear instead, since it manages to be as niche as it wants and still somehow be accessible to those not fans of the genre.

...On that note, anyone know which preferably cheap main Atelier title I should start with?

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Gee, I hope by recommending a JRPG that happened to be turn based, I didn't add fuel to the fire. :P Bravely Default is just something I think takes something old and makes it new. It's an easy game to pick up and get into, not only for gameplay but because it's on a popular handheld console, and I mean, that's what this is about, right? Getting someone on the right for into the world of JRPGs? If they're already a gamer and play other genres, I'm sure they'd already knows there are plenty of variations within those genres and that the same would apply to JRPGs, or all RPGs for that matter.

Years
  • I'm no expert, but I would recommend either the Dragonquest or Tales series.

Dragonquest is a very easy to understand and access RPG that defines the classic take of a JRPG. It's traditional to a fault. Alot of things found in Dragonquest will be staples of many of the JRPG's you will play when you explore the genre more. In most cases, the games are also very charming and have art by the guy that did Dragonball! For someone new to the genre, I would wholeheartedly suggest DragonQuest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King for either Ps2 or Mobile. It's the most well rounded of the Dragonquest titles and avoids some of the harder to follow mechanics like creating your own party members. Great Story, A large, fun to explore hubworld, Amazing Music (ps2 version), a steller battle system and the game is full of charm and humor while still being somewhat serious at times. It's a great time all around. If you just starting out, I wouldn't recommend Dragonquest III or IX as they rely heavily on building your own party. In IX's case, half of the game is ment to be more of a multiplayer experience and can be hard to get into if you playing alone. At least in my experience.

If traditional mechanics arn't your style of play, then I would recommend any of the Tales titles. They take a more action oriented combat system that requires more input by the player and is far faster paced. They also include interesting mechanics like a cooking system, and inter-party conversations as you explore the field. I'm not as well versed with The Tales Series, but I'd imagine you can start with almost any of them. I know Tales of Symphony is highly regarded, and can be found on both the Ps3 and Gamecube. The Ps3 also includes the games sequel.

Personally though, The RPG that got me into RPG's was Final Fantasy IX for Ps1. It's another RPG that's very traditional to a fault.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • ...On that note, anyone know which preferably cheap main Atelier title I should start with?
    Hm... hard to say... I would suggest either Atelier Rorona (Arland trilogy) or Atelier Ayesha (Dusk trilogy) but Arland trilogy are games with a pretty tough time management while Dusk trilogy are better in terms of time management but may be kinda weird for newcomers...
    Also depends on consoles you own.

Yukari

Seems we can't even agree on the basic requirements for JRPGs... interesting =D

Quick! Suggest a JRPG
    I find it more worrisome than interesting. Mainly because if you think that, then others may think those things too, despite the name. And if others think that JRPGs are a niche in themselves, that not only makes much of the Japanese market blocked off to much of the Western audiences, but it also segregates even further. I can't say that makes me a happy duck, I prefer a world where neither term exists and we just have RPGs with niches in between than...this.

Quick! Suggest a JRPG

If you think that this is bad, someone on IGN said that "If it has Anime style graphics and sexually exploited female characters then it's a Jrpg." Sad really. But for quite some time there has been debate about what JRPGs are. Some point to the final fantasy model as a JRPG, some think of the linearity and the Narrative. But with either of these there are problems as there are JRPGs that aren't like either of these models. JRPGs are considered a genre in of themselves, but almost nobody agrees as to what is a JRPG is.
    Quick! Suggest a JRPG

Gee, I hope by recommending a JRPG that happened to be turn based, I didn't add fuel to the fire.
    Quick! Suggest a JRPG
    Bravely Default is just something I think takes something old and makes it new. It's an easy game to pick up and get into, not only for gameplay but because it's on a popular handheld console, and I mean, that's what this is about, right? Getting someone on the right for into the world of JRPGs? If they're already a gamer and play other genres, I'm sure they'd already knows there are plenty of variations within those genres and that the same would apply to JRPGs, or all RPGs for that matter.

Are you referring to that big debate as to what are JRPG is?

Back