• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen R/B/Y: Mewtwo and the Master Ball Rumor

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
  • When I was first playing these games, I was young. Thus, I believed silly rumors. I had heard a rumor that it was impossible to catch Mewtwo without the Master Ball. Thus, I always saved it for him. But, when I got into the technical details of the games, I realized Mewtwo is no harder to catch than the Legendary Birds. How about you guys? Did you guys ever hear this rumor, and did you believe it?

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Those are the same people who think pressing a button increases the chance of a capture. They are unaware that both the capture rate is at 3 and that that "method" is farfetched(no pun intended). Little kids believe a lot of stuff, like when we all started out back in 98 playing Red/Blue me and my friends used to believe stuff.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I never used to think this, my brother and I used to actually think it was easier to catch legendaries in Poké Balls rather than Ultra Balls for some reason. I suppose seeing that you can't trade the Master Ball with Pokémon Stadium, you may as well use it on what is probably the most frustrating Pokémon to catch.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • I heard of this rumour and I think everyone did and believed it at some point because what else would you use the Masterball for?

I always found him easier than the Legendary Birds. For some reason every time I use Ice Beam on him with Articuno he freezes and one Pokeball was all you needed on frozen Pokemon back then.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • I never actually knew that Mewtwo was no harder to catch than the Legendary Birds :O
    And no, I haven't heard of such rumors because I've seen people catch Mewtwo with Ultra Balls before (although I always use Master Balls on it, being too lazy to reserve it for the Roaming Legends). But I guess I'll try doing something else: I'll try catching all the legends in FRLG with an Ultra Ball and save my Master Ball for Magikarp.

Years
  • I did hear about the one about pushing the buttons help with capturing the Pokemon and Im sad to say I believed it lol I use to go crazy pushing the buttons! lol

Guest123_x1

When I first heard that, I thought it was really necessary to catch Mewtwo with the Master Ball. Then I read on Bulbapedia that Mewtwo, the Kanto legendary birds, and most other one-of-a-kind legendary Pokémon have the same catch rate, 3 (0.4%), the lowest possible. This means all Pokémon with that low a catch rate are just as equally hard to catch.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I didn't hear this rumor, though I do think I saved my Master Ball for him, because I was afraid to even fight it haha. The only rumor I remember regarding Mewtwo was that he was wandering around Cinnabar Mansion, so I remember walking around there a lot, looking for him. And I'd be like "I swear I just saw him float by!" Stupid me. :(

Nepse

Dragonite<3
    Years
  • Personally, I found it easier to catch it with a Poké Ball then a Great Ball/Ultra Ball... So no; never heard it, and if I did I wouldn't believe it (even tough I was 4 the first time:))

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Those are the same people who think pressing a button increases the chance of a capture.
    Waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait... that didn't work? You mean all those times I was pressing B and Up was just a waste of time? Wow, you really do learn something new every day.

But, no. I never heard of this particular rumour. The only RBY one I heard - and subsequently didn't believe - was the Mew glitch. I guess I assumed Mewtwo would have been really hard to capture (and probably did end up using the Master Ball all those years ago).

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Heard it before, didn't believe in it. Caught my first Mewtwo on a Pokeball.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2012
    Haha, on my first play of Blue Version, I threw my Master Ball at a Ditto because I hadn't seen one and I freaked out when it changed into my Venusaur.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • Those are the same people who think pressing a button increases the chance of a capture. They are unaware that both the capture rate is at 3 and that that "method" is farfetched(no pun intended).

I so much believed that pressing the B button gave to a Pokéball the same effect than a Master Ball when I was younger, that now I still do that stupid thing when I catch a Pokémon, by reflex :pink_tongue:

And to answer to the thread, no, I never heard anything about this rumour...
    But I heard a lot of other rumours. For example, if you let a Magikarp in the DayCare until it reaches the level 100, the guy would give you a "Pikablu". It's for that reason that when GSC wasn't released in Europa yet, me and some friends were believing that Marill was this famous Pikablu and that the rumour wasn't a lie :pink_smile:
    There was also many rumours about ways to get Mew, so many that I don't even remember them ^^'

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    lol. Back then, I used to do that "turn a PokéBall into a master ball" thing that didn't really exist, where you throw the PokéBall at the Pokémon, press and hold B, release it, and then hold A+B... or something like that. It didn't work most of the time. I convinced myself that it was just because I pressed it at the wrong time. XD

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    God I believed this rumor. I even had a friend tell me that he could break OUT of the Masterball, so i would always try to Spore him to sleep and then through it when he had like, one hit point left. Gosh, I was naive.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • Those are the same people who think pressing a button increases the chance of a capture. They are unaware that both the capture rate is at 3 and that that "method" is farfetched(no pun intended). Little kids believe a lot of stuff, like when we all started out back in 98 playing Red/Blue me and my friends used to believe stuff.
    It's true that all of them have 3 as the catch rate.
    But it's no way related to "A button thing". Has anyone proved that it doesn't do a thing?

I often keep pressing A button myself while trying to catch a pokemon although I believe it won't help. However, nothing would have prevented the game makers to make a code for checking whether A button is pressed at certain time when the pokemon is for example about to go inside the ball.

"If pressed"
    --> Increase the byte that determines whether the pokemon will stay inside or not

Years
  • I caught Mewtwo in heart gold without the Master ball. I mean, i got, lucky, but I don't think you need the master ball to catch it.
    Although, you're talking about r/b/y, which I am not familiar with, but I would think that it would be odd if you had to catch it with a Master.

Back