• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen R/S/E Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

syphilis

lul spread the love.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2012
    you could try normal. it'd be the most challenging for the first 3 gyms....

Psychic Update:

-started with treecko
    -caught a ralts (noob)
    -grinded it to an unreasonable level so it would evolve.
    -beat roxanne very easily
    -sailed to dewford
    -caught an abra (noob)
    -trained abra until level 16 using the exp. share
    -beat brawly.
    -sailed to slateport
    -beat those team magma guys
    -beat up may.
    -trained a lot before the third gym to evolve kirlia
    -beat wattson's first two pokemon with kadabra, then beat magneton with gardevoir
    -smashed some rocks
    -caught a solrock (noob)
    -witnessed a theft.
    -beat up the team magma leader (maxie?)
    -caught a spoink (noob)
    -beat flannery with an awful strategy.
    -EV trained spoink in a casual manner
    -spoink evolved in the normal gym.
    -beat norman lacking all strategic thought.

Team:
    noob lvl 32
    R/S/E Monotype Challenge

Confusion
    Thief
    Psychic
    Calm Mind

noob lvl 34
    R/S/E Monotype Challenge

Shock Wave
    Role Play
    Recover
    Psybeam

noob lvl 31
    R/S/E Monotype Challenge

Rock Throw
    Cosmic Power
    Confusion
    Tackle

noob lvl 33
    R/S/E Monotype Challenge

Psybeam
    Confuse Ray
    Magic Coat
    Psych Up

they're all noobs.

[Rock Lee]

Kusanagi Swordsman~
    Years
    you could try normal. it'd be the most challenging for the first 3 gyms....

Psychic Update:

-started with treecko
    -caught a ralts (noob)
    -grinded it to an unreasonable level so it would evolve.
    -beat roxanne very easily
    -sailed to dewford
    -caught an abra (noob)
    -trained abra until level 16 using the exp. share
    -beat brawly.
    -sailed to slateport
    -beat those team magma guys
    -beat up may.
    -trained a lot before the third gym to evolve kirlia
    -beat wattson's first two pokemon with kadabra, then beat magneton with gardevoir
    -smashed some rocks
    -caught a solrock (noob)
    -witnessed a theft.
    -beat up the team magma leader (maxie?)
    -caught a spoink (noob)
    -beat flannery with an awful strategy.
    -EV trained spoink in a casual manner
    -spoink evolved in the normal gym.
    -beat norman lacking all strategic thought.

Team:
    noob lvl 32
    R/S/E Monotype Challenge

Confusion
    Thief
    Psychic
    Calm Mind

noob lvl 34
    R/S/E Monotype Challenge

Shock Wave
    Role Play
    Recover
    Psybeam

noob lvl 31
    R/S/E Monotype Challenge

Rock Throw
    Cosmic Power
    Confusion
    Tackle

noob lvl 33
    R/S/E Monotype Challenge

Psybeam
    Confuse Ray
    Magic Coat
    Psych Up

they're all noobs.

Wow. Epic Update of Doom. X_X Guess I don't have to worry about Psychics since you'll be done in no time and I'll be able to do them next. I could just do some other type and come back to Psychics another time... This is what'll most likely happen.

Anyway, I've been slacking on playing, and I'm so close to being done, I want to finish before tomorrow. This way, I'll be done with Steel-Types today and finally finish Poison-Types tomorrow. Also, this will let me do as I wished and finish the Poison-Type run exactly one year after I started it.

Anyway, guys, I'm horribly sick right now, but I'll see if I can persevere and finish today.

EDIT: Okay, so I'm better now. I meant to post the final update for both my Poison-Type and Steel-Type runs on the 14th, like I'd hoped, but... Last week, the week the 14th was on, was the final week of school for the fall semester for me, so, of course, I had finals to prepare for. Thanks to unecessary sickness, that of which I'm still feeling the effects of (though I'm mostly cured), and studying, I couldn't find time for completing it on the day I'd wished. However, I did try. It was late the night of December 14th when I attempted to finish both runs. I finished one and was preparing how I would post the final update when... Pokecorner was down. "Just my luck," I thought. So, a mixture of SO many things compiled into one product: I didn't get to finish my runs on the 14th. Oh, well.

And now, I present to you the epic conclusion to this story; the final update:

---------- Update ----------

R/S/E Monotype Challenge

----------------------

- Descended into the lower levels of the Cave of Origin.
    - Witnessed the legendary Kyogre at the bottom of the cave.
    - Battled with Kyogre, eventually capturing him and claiming his power.
    - Returned to the surface, the world back to normal.
    - Talked with Steven outside the Sootopolis Gym.
    - Challenged the Sootopolis City Gym, PinoAB7 carrying me onto victory; I defeated Wallace and obtained the Rain Badge.
    - Climbed the waterfall that guards Ever Grande City.
    - Ventured into Victory Road, the final stretch.
    - Just before I made my way out of Victory Road, Wally challenged me; I defeated him quite nicely.
    - Made it to the Pokemon League.
    - Did a LOT of grinding / leveling up, preparing for the Elite Four.
    - Ran a few more errands, getting a few items in the process.
    - Assembled my team's final movesets.
    - Grinded / Trained a little bit more.
    - Used some last minute items, namely Rare Candies.
    - Bought over $200,000 in items, including Full Restores and Revives.

Currently: Prepared and ready to take on the Elite Four.

---------- Update ----------

R/S/E Monotype Challenge

-------------------------

R/S/E Monotype Challenge
    Defeated quite easily. Nothing too difficult, just did lots of type-matching.
    R/S/E Monotype Challenge
    It went okay. I didn't have any type matching to do, so I just muscled my way through her pokemon.

R/S/E Monotype Challenge
    A lot easier than I'd originally thought. PinoAB7 and RX were the stars here.

R/S/E Monotype Challenge
    Here's where K.O proved his- ...er, I mean, her, worth. She took out three of his pokemon, RX cleaning up with Ice Beam. This one went very smoothly.

R/S/E Monotype Challenge

---------- The Champion of Hoenn ----------

R/S/E Monotype Challenge
    Wasn't much to this flying carbon-copy of Pyro Lee. Pino put 'em in his place with a quick Thunderbolt.

R/S/E Monotype Challenge
    Quite possibly the most anticipated match-up of this entire monotype challenge, if you ask me, or close to it: RX vs. Steven's Aggron. I was hoping two Brick Breaks would be enough, and this held true, but he scared me with Earthquake. I thought, for sure, "I'm doomed," but RX pulled out and struck again, delivering the finishing blow to this iron-clad beast.

R/S/E Monotype Challenge
    Actually quite a difficult battle only because of Water Pulse. I kept RX in and decided to heal him just to be safe, and he went down quite a bit from one Water Pulse. I used Brick Break, but it proved ineffective, and he ate another Water Pulse. I pulled him out in favor of K.O, hoping to Earthquake a time or two without getting 2HKO'd. Sure enough, on switch-in, Water Pulse takes half of K.O's life AND gets the confusion. I said good-bye to K.O at this point, but she got through the confusion and Earthquaked, but it didn't do as much as I'd hoped. I pull in Pyro Lee in favor of avoiding super-effective hits from Water Pulse. I felt extremely dumb and uneducated when Armaldo fell after one Steel Wing.

R/S/E Monotype Challenge
    Good God, this took awhile. I decided to keep Pyro in to avoid Earthquakes and took advantage of this time to heal up my team. Meanwhile, he was attempting to dent Pyro with Ancientpower, but with lackluster results. He set up dual screens (Light Screen and Reflect) which just made my life harder. After fully healing my team, I pull in K.O, but she gets Earthquaked on sight, OHKOing her. After realizing the same would happen to Pino AND RX, I decide I'm going to have to wear him down slowly with Pyro Lee. After chipping away one bar with Steel Wing (about 1/9 of his health per use), Steven denies my efforts with a Full Restore. A repeat performance by Pyro Lee... AND STEVEN USES ANOTHER FULL RESTORE. So, after chipping away THREE bars of life from Claydol, he FINALLY FRICKIN' FALLS. Ugh... *cries in a corner*

R/S/E Monotype Challenge
    Kept Pyro in again at half health, tried an attack, and decided I wasn't about to chipkill again. I switched RX in and used the most effective attack, Ice Beam. I got a lucky freeze. It only lasted one turn, but it was a free beam. I traded beams with Giga Drains until Steven decided to use a Full Restore on 'em. I continued trading with him until he switched out, which took me by suprise. He switched out with Metagross here, but when he came back, the trading game continued until I finally dropped him.

R/S/E Monotype Challenge
    Metagross, Steven's ultimate pokemon, suprised me. With RX out, I figured I'd just go on the attack, but he quickly destroyed that idea with Earthquake. I pull out Pyro Lee as a result and see that there was little I could do against him. However, I managed to be able to survive anything he threw at me with lots of room to spare. I took advantage of this and healed my team up completely. I saw my only option was what I dreaded having to resort to... chipkill. Yes... I chipped him to death. With Aerial Ace. I'm going to rock in a corner now.

So, I went home a champion: the new Champion of Hoenn. I can say this was a lot of fun, and I can say I'm proud of my team and our victory. After the second round, I've offically finished the challenge. This brought new light to an already great game. I'm really happy I completed the challenge.

R/S/E Monotype Challenge

========== R/S Monotype Challenge: Steel ==========
    ~ Complete! ~

----- Final Team -----

R/S/E Monotype Challenge
    RX, Lv. 55, Male
    Careful Nature, Sturdy @ King's Rock
    - Return
    - Metal Claw
    - Ice Beam
    - Brick Break

R/S/E Monotype Challenge
    K.O, Lv. 53, Female
    Sassy Nature, Rock Head @ Mystic Water
    - Dragon Claw
    - Surf
    - Earthquake
    - Flamethrower

R/S/E Monotype Challenge
    Pyro Lee, Lv. 53, Male
    Hardy Nature, Sturdy @ Lax Incense
    - Aerial Ace
    - Metal Sound
    - Steel Wing
    - Agility

R/S/E Monotype Challenge
    PinoAB7, Lv. 55, N/A
    Quirky Nature, Magnet Pull @ Magnet
    - Thunderbolt
    - Facade
    - Tri Attack
    - Thunder Wave

-------------------
    [[HM slaves]]
    R/S/E Monotype Challenge
    Hayao, Lv. 27, Male
    - Surf
    - Dive
    - Waterfall
    - Rock Smash

R/S/E Monotype Challenge
    Noguchi, Lv. 26, Male
    - Fly
    - Rock Smash
    - Strength
    - Cut

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2020
    I'd like to try a Ghost monotype challenge, will be pretty fun having to use shedinja(s) on Roxanne

Name: Vuallum
    Game: Emerald
    Type: Ghost

Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2012
    Name: FaWa
    Game: Emerald.
    Type: Poison(Was going to do Sapphire Rock Emu but decided playing Emerald would be better :D)

Missing out on a couple favorites...But I'm still psyched! I'll get started right now.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2012
    I've finally found how much I love this game...Even though it took a lot of level grinding to do anything. Poison is tough in the beginning (You'll see how this went down in the rest of this post) But I feel it offers a lot of rewards later on.

The First Gym Badge
    -I started with Mudkip and immediately caught a Wurmple who luckily ended up as a Dustox (Horokeu). After going through all of the story stuff, I made it to Rustboro...And my frustration began.
    -Roxanne's Nospass not only resisted my attacks, but also was amazingly strong for my poor Dustox. I had to grind Dustox to level 20 before I won.

The Second Gym Badge
    -This was MUCH easier. 1HKO'd 90% of the Pokes in that gym, and I resisted fighting!
    -Went through the cave and proceeded to go through the story. This was the time I really realized how much I loved this game- and how long it's been since I've played it.

The Third Gym Badge
    -Caught Oddish (Ren Tao) and Gulpin (nomnomnom)
    -Trained the two of them until they evolved.
    -That. Magneton. Resisted. EVERY ATTACK I HAD. But after a ton of training, I was able to faint it. The other three were incredibly easy, but Magneton makes this gym the hardest yet. (Yes; Even harder then Roxanne.)

Current Party:

R/S/E Monotype Challenge

Dustox (Horokeu) (Lv. 27)
    -Gust
    -Psybeam
    -MoonLight
    -Protect

Horokeu is actually pretty good so far. He's the only access to phsycic moves I'll have in a while.

R/S/E Monotype Challenge

Gloom (Ren Tao) (Lv. 27)
    -PoisonPowder
    -Sleep Powder
    -Acid
    -Absorb

Not the hardest of hitters but still can cause poison and sleep. I am in great need of stronger attacking options here (Although he did take out Manectrec)

R/S/E Monotype Challenge

Swalot (nomnomnom) (Lv. 29)
    -Body Slam
    -Yawn
    -Encore
    -Shock Wave

No poison type moves (Deleted Sludge for Shock Wave) But is arguably the best on the team. Body Slam is really hard hitting for this early, Yawn and Encore are moves I use for my COMPETITIVE team including Swalot. Shock Wave is for coverage.

Note: A good friend of mine is doing a Dark monotype (Not logging though) and we will be battling after the 4th, 6th, and 8th gyms, and with our end parties. I will post those battles here. He skipped Mighteyena and only has a Lv. 31 Saybley (Around the same point I'm at. He had a MUCH easier time to get there though haha)

King!

better
    Years
    Imma do flying on emerald. I was gonna do fighting when I realized that you can't get mditite in emerald so yeahhhhh

Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2012
    The Fourth Gym Badge
    -I was EXTREMELY disappointed when I found Roselia wasn't available in Emerald. I skipped Koffing and Muk (They would ruin the awesome streak my team is having) and went straight for Route 114- And caught the almighty Seviper. I like it's moveset, so I think once I train it enough I'll be good to go :D. Im getting Tentacool at the next chance, and then my team shall be complete! (Unless I decide to go for Muk- which I doubt will happen.)
    -The 4th gym was difficult, but not impossible. I took care of Numel with Seviper and Slugma with Gloom. Camerupt was a hard one but Swalot took care of him. Then that god damn Torkoal came out. This was my second try on it, and I learned that it would be better to take a stalling approach. I poisoned him, and proceeded to stall with Protect and Moonlight on Dustox, and then Gulpin's great defensive stats. I came out on top! (Thank god...)
    -Now it's off to face my dad! I'll train up Seviper some more by then...Possibly get everyone to Lv. 32.

Current Party:

R/S/E Monotype Challenge

Dustox (Horokeu) (Lv. 30)
    -Gust
    -Psybeam
    -MoonLight
    -Protect

Not any real changes- Just leveling.

R/S/E Monotype Challenge

Gloom (Ren Tao) (Lv. 30)
    -PoisonPowder
    -Sleep Powder
    -Acid
    -Absorb

Again, no changes. But I'm still waiting to get Giga Drain D:

R/S/E Monotype Challenge

Swalot (nomnomnom) (Lv. 31)
    -Body Slam
    -Toxic
    -Encore
    -Shock Wave

Swapped Yawn for Toxic. He's pretty good, and I'm sure he'll help in the E4.

R/S/E Monotype Challenge

Seviper (Loci) (Lv. 26)
    -Wrap
    -Screech
    -Bite
    -Poison Tail

I really love his moveset. Screech is always good, Wrap is ok, and Bite/PT do wonders in terms of coverage. He's just a little underleveled.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back