• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Re-Typing Pokemon - Which Pokemon Should be Re-Typed?

Years
  • Banette should be Ghost/Dark. It makes sense to me, since it's a discarded doll that came to life to find the kid that threw it away. That's some straight-up malice right there. Plus, it sticks pins in its body to cast stronger curses. Well, technically, all ghosts do that when they use Curse, I guess...

Also, Cofagrigus could be a Ghost/Steel type. Most of its body is a coffin, anyway.

I wasn't thinking of any competitive impact when I thought of them.

Or Ghost/Rock, since it would likely be a stone sarcophagus. That would be cool.

Expect a ton of normal types to go fairy. Clefairy -> Jigglypuff -> Chansey -> Togepi -> Snubbull -> Skitty -> Buneary should be/are locks for Fairy type.

Misdreavus/Mismagius as fairies is pretty intriguing too.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Or Ghost/Rock, since it would likely be a stone sarcophagus. That would be cool. . .

Stone, koffi~

Egyptians covered their coffins in gold my friend. Which is why bandits raided their tombs and such. I believe that most of them were to be made out of primarily carved wood and covered in gold. It could vary from location, but I believe that steel makes more sense.

on topic:
    Retyped moves. I'm not sure if anyone's actually given any thought about this, but several moves might change. Considering bite changed to dark when dark was introduced, I think it's safe to assume certain move's will be typed to fairy. Metronome perhaps? Moonlight?

Also, I would like selfdestruct and explosion to always be super effective. It always irked me that ghosts, rock and steel types would be relatively unfazed. Selfdestruct is an explosive. Ever hear of blast mining? Dynamite is used for fishing (redneck style) and blasting stumps. Bombs can destroy everything and to say that dragon claw is able to do damage to a ghost but scratch can't, even though it's coming from the same pokemon. . . It's really the ultimate sacrifice, and I'd like it to pay off a bit more. At least change it from normal to fire, or to the pokemon type that is using it. That would make more sense to me, koff~

Years
  • Fairy Re-Types:
    Cleffa/Clefairy/Clefable: Pure Fairy or at least Normal/Fairy - I won't for the life of me understand it if only Jigglypuff gets the re-type.
    Happiny/Chansey/Blissey: Normal/Fairy or pure Fairy
    Togetic/Togekiss: Fairy/Flying
    Bellossom: Grass/Fairy
    Snubbull/Granbull: Normal/Fairy or pure Fairy
    Celebi: Fairy/Grass - It just screams "FAIRY!" to me.
    Volbeat, Illumise: Bug/Fairy - They look fairy-ish to me.
    Chimecho: Psychic/Fairy - Why not have some diversity for the Fairy types? Chimecho could be a cute little fairy-bell. X3
    Luvdisc: Water/Fairy
    Jirachi: Fairy/Psychic
    Vespiquen: Bug/Fairy
    Misdreavus/Mismagius - Ghost/Fairy
    Finneon/Lumineon - Water/Fairy
    Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf - Psychic/Fairy - They don't strike me as particularly fairy-like for some reason, but I can still see it.
    Cresselia - Psychic/Fairy
    Lilligant - Grass/Fairy
    Alomomola: Water/Fairy
    Audino: Normal/Fairy or pure Fairy - I'm biased and don't want Audino to become Fairy-type since I want both it and a Sylveon on my team. xP

Other Re-Types:
    Charizard: Fire/Dragon
    Blastoise: Water/Steel
    Psyduck/Golduck: Water/Psychic - Seriously, why aren't they? I always forget that they aren't.
    Dratini/Dragonair: Dragon/Water - They live in the water, so it makes sense to me.
    Stantler: Normal/Psychic - I always forget that Stantler isn't part Psychic-type.
    Lugia: Water/Flying - I thought for years it was as such, when I finally found out it was Psychic/Flying, my mind was blown. (Same thing happened when I found out that Suicune is Water-type and not Ice-type.)
    Darkrai - Dark/Ghost - It looks like a ghost to me.

I still haven't memorized all the strengths and weaknesses of each type, and dual-types only make it more complicated for me. Also, I don't pay any attention to stats and have no interest in competitive play, so I don't know how these re-typings would actually impact these Pokemon. I realize most of these Pokemon have already been mentioned, so I'm sorry for the redundancy.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    I'm surprised only one other person has (possibly, didn't outright say it) suggested it but Staraptor should be Flying/Fighting, if you ask me.

That thing just has Fighting written all over it in permanent marker, appropriate look and all.

Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2013
    Stone, koffi~

Egyptians covered their coffins in gold my friend. Which is why bandits raided their tombs and such. I believe that most of them were to be made out of primarily carved wood and covered in gold. It could vary from location, but I believe that steel makes more sense.

Coincidentally, gold is a type of metal, so maybe Ghost/Steel?
    It could even have a new ability playing on how unreactive gold is.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Stantler: Normal/Psychic - I always forget that Stantler isn't part Psychic-type.

I would leave Stantler the way it currently is. I wouldn't make it part psychic-type. Having psychic as its secondary type would just add additional weaknesses to it, and to be honest, it doesn't really look like a psychic Pokémon to me.

I would turn Suicune into a water- and fairy-type. It does look kind of like a fairy, doesn't it? If Suicune's getting a secondary type, then Entei and Raikou should have a second type as well. Entei could partially be a dark-type, maybe, since it does look a little intimidating. As for Raikou, its secondary type could probably be fighting. Either that, or they could make it part rock-type so that it can gain immunity over electric-type attacks.

Jimmyray

Bish Bash Bosh
    Years
  • Well, I have to admit that you've got a strong point there but still. I don't feel like Light-type would have been the right way to go as it would have clearly been counter part for Dark-type then. And what we've seen so far Fairy-type was to be introduced to balance all those Dragon-type pokémon who are way too overpowered. And so far light isn't anyhow mythological to me atleast. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Light-type but at this moment there really aren't many Light-type looking pokémon even in games. Most that would fall under that category would propably be Electric- and Fire-type pokémon, maybe some Dark-type even (for example Umbreon and Espeon who are daylight pokémon and can use Moonlight etc.) and a couple of Bug-type pokémon too.

And about Ice-type, I wasn't really keen on that either for that obvious reason that it's basicly water in a different form. But still, Ice-type doesn't only count water that's frozen or turned into snow, there's also the temperature aspect as there are freezing winds and stuff like that which Ice-type pokémon can use.

Well, for a Kangaroo I have to admit that Kangaskhan is way menacing and scary but maybe going Dark-type wouldn't be the right choice still. It still needs a power boost though through a new evolution or retyping.

At this point retyping Ursaring to Normal/Dark-type would basicly just make it almost like a counter part to Pangoro. I hate myself for saying this but Light-type would have been pretty fitting for Ursaring.

...and about bears, what do you think about Beartic? I think they should really do something about it, maybe give it an evolution and retype it to something else than just Ice-type because now it's got way too many weaknesses in my opinion.

Mr.Mime doesn't really look like Psychic-type either to me but I assume retyping it to pure Normal-type would just make it even more useless than what it is now. If they gave it an evolution then I could see it going Psychic/Fairy.

It's just that I feel like adding Fighting-type to Pinsir would basicly make it even more comparable to Heracross which annoys me a lot already. I don't feel like Heracross should be partly Fighting-type either as it has no real traits of a fighter in it. It's just a freaking beetle to me. But I do feel that Pinsir needs some love and quickly because it's a great offensive pokémon who just suffers from being monotype.

Steel-type just came out strongly to me but honestly I find Huntail going Water/Poison-type much more better. It has that sting looking tail for example and those teeth, plus it would totally help it as in competitive aspect.

Okay, maybe Manectric wasn't the best example but still, I just don't see at this point going to Dark-type. I don't say it would be anyhow bad that it would get retyped to Electric/Dark-type, It would actually help it a lot and make it really useful and fearsome in competitive aspect. Personally I just want to keep it as Electric-type atleast for now.

Oh and Luxray seeing through walls has nothing to do with Dark-type. It's been stated that it can utilize x-ray vision in it's eyes to see through walls and as you might know x-ray vision is basicly radiation that is fueled by electricity for example.

Here's some pokémon that came in mind that could need some love and might need to retyped:
    Psyduck/Golduck: Water/Psychic
    Drowzee/Hypno: As odd as it sounds, I could see them getting retyped to Psychic/Fighting for example.
    Cubone/Marowak: Either give them an evolution or change them to Ground/Dark-type. After all they tend to reside in caves mostly so it would be fitting for them.
    Jynx: Well, maybe it doesn't need to be retyped necessarily but it need some love too. Maybe an evolution that would look more or less like Nicki Minaj perhaps?
    Mew: Psychic/Fairy
    Sentret/Furret: Oh God, I love these two so it just kills me that they are... well, useless. Retype them to Normal/Ground for example and I'd be thrilled!
    Bellossom: Actually, it really doesn't look all that fairy-ish to me to begin with but somehow I wish they retype it to be Grass/Fairy. It would help it a lot.
    Dunsparce: Seriously guys, this pokémon has so much potential in it but they've completely forgot it. Retype it, evolve it, just give it some love!
    Octillery: Water/Poison - it's on an octopus for Christ's sake, they tend to use poison to catch their prey.
    Stantler: I know it's a reindeer and it can use pheromones to create illusions and it lives near people which is why I could see it going multiple ways as Normal/Grass, Normal/Psychic or even Normal/Ice.
    Celebi: Definitely Grass/Fairy even though it would be really weak to Fire-type then. It just looks really fairy-ish to me plus retyping it Grass/Fairy would totally make it stand out and bring it back from the shadows.
    Slaking: Make it like, Normal/Fighting and give it another ability so it would be more useful than what it is now. It has huge potential in it and now it's ability basicly ruins it completely.

I'd have to disagree that there aren't enough Pokemon to be Light type. The ones I listed initially are just a handful that had light potential, particularly things that are relatively useless to use as they are currently like Lumineon, Sunflora & Ampharos, plus a lot of the fairies could easily be Light type, Clefairy of the moon, Gardevoir, even Sylveon before Fairy type was announced. I also don't think it would have been strange (if light type was real) for it to be effective against dragons. Not all of the match up resistances and what not that Fairy has been given are particularly logical or obvious. For example, what have fairies got to do with steel? In mythology dragons could be slayed by humans, so perhaps Normal or Fighting type should be effective against dragon if we're always going by those kind of rules. Like you say, Fairy was mainly brought in to neutralise all the overpowered dragons, so I think light could have just done exactly the same.

I could live with poison on Huntail, and I still think giving Kangaskhan and Ursaring dark (with the actual situation of the typings) would be a good boost for them, especially Kangaskhan as it's so neglected at the moment. As I said before though, perhaps the mega evolution will be enough to give it a bit more popularity this time round. You're right, Mr. Mime should never go to Normal, it would be pointless, but I think adding Fairy to the Psychic would be good just because him (and Mime. Jr) give of that slightly feminine, mimicky, mythological or magical vibe.

Beartic's design is quite bad I think. I would have preferred to see it geared towards a cute but powerful polar bear as opposed a small headed polar bear dribbling ice...

As for Luxray, yes it's a tricky one whether it should or it shouldn't, I think if it did it should only be Luxray and not Luxio or Shinx. I think it's design is crying out for a Dark sub type though, and I mean some of the fan art is very geared towards dark. And I'm not really sure what you mean about seeing through walls. You're saying it's radiation created by electricity, but I'm sure it's not actually a possible thing in real life for any animal? And also I don't recall Luxray ever being said to have 'x-ray' vision specifically, just that it has that ability to find prey by seeing through walls (correct me if I'm wrong). That's why I'm saying it's a dark trait, because it's unnatural and kind of creepy, and suggests it has a supernatural ability to some extent.

As for your suggestions

Definitely agree with you on Psyduck like in my first post

Drowzee and Hypno - Perhaps. I mean I would refer you back to your argument against Pinsir becoming Fighting type, I wouldn't say the Hypno or Drowzee look anywhere as near built for fighting as Pinsir does, but if you look at the facts it does have access to a few fighting moves and the elemental punches, so maybe, but I doubt they would do it, although Hypno does have kind of bulky limbs.

Cubone & Marowak - I would have no objection to this. Wearing your mothers dead skull as a mask is very dark indeed.

Jynx - for me it's kind of one of those that has fans and haters, I wouldn't touch it. It has definitely developed some interesting concept art for an evolution/mega evolution.

Re-Typing Pokemon - Which Pokemon Should be Re-Typed?

Please don't touch Mew, it's too much of a classic oldie to change!

Sentret/Furret - Not for me. It's kind of that token Normal rodent you get at the beginning of every game, although I suppose we have seen sub types been given for them before (Bibarel). I don't think ground though as I couldn't see Furret dishing out an Earthquake... it wouldn't really have much beyond Dig & Mud Slap.

Bellossom - I agree could become part Fairy. Another example of something that could have been ideal for Light type though!

Octillery - would be interesting as it's not very popular. I think I had one on about my 4th run through of Pearl not too long ago and it was actually quite good in-game.

Dunsparce - Definitely needs love, a mega evolution would be nice, but I do think it does a great job of that being token useless pokemon in the Johto region.

Stantler - Normal/Psychic would be ideal to spice this thing up a bit, I never really got how Girafarig got the Psychic/Normal typing and this thing didn't. It doesn't have the movepool to support an Ice sub type as it can't learn a single Ice type move though, and if it was given grass it would just be another Sawsbuck.

Celebi - I completely agree with you but I don't think they'd touch it as it's had movies built around it and other commercial attention etc.

Slaking - I disagree purely because it's Norman's trademark pokemon who is the Normal type gym leader in Hoenn. But with that said Whitney has a Clefairy, which I'm sure will now become Fairy type, although it was not her main Pokemon. Also we still need some good Normal types now that the Fairy type is being brandished and the only ones I can think of from the top of my head are Slaking, Granbull, Stoutland & the Porygon's.

Last edited:

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Coincidentally, gold is a type of metal, so maybe Ghost/Steel?
    It could even have a new ability playing on how unreactive gold is.

Actually, I was agreeing with Calamitastrophe (hope I spelled that right) when he said ghost/steel, koff~

And gold is not 'unreactive' (non-responsive would be the word here), by far. It's used in electronics due to it's capacity to conduct electricity, koffi~

Back