• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Real voices in games

Arumus

Insert user title here..
Years
  • Who else here is dieing to actually see a Pokémon RPG where you actually hear the Pokémon voices and not the cries? Pokémon that can't say their names like Dragonite and Charizard we don't mind. But, I still hope to hear that odd Pika or whatever. It's such a simple thing to do, I hoped they would of done it for DP, guess not.

True Justice

Shichibukai: Bartholomew Kuma
    Years
  • They really should have an RPG with the Pokemon's voice rather than cry. They have Pikachu say it's name before it attacks in all 3 Super Smash Bros. Same goes for Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard. I wouldn't say it's simple since the voices (except for Pikachu) tend to change over time. But it is a good idea.

Kryssi

I think I'm decomposing!
    Years
  • Yeah, this would be a pretty cool idea. I still vote there should be a SNAP idea for the Wii. It may be a bit too big for a Wii disk, but an RPG would be cool.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • I don't really care much for the Pokémon saying their names in the anime nor do I care for it in the Super Smash Bros. series. In fact, I much prefer the Pokémon make their little sounds.
    It seems like it's more natural to hear them make sounds than to state their name. Seriously, what animal goes around stating it's name?
    Pokémon are supposed to represent animals and behave very similar to them, so why wouldn't they just make slight verbal noises to express themselves as well?
    (Then again... Animals usually can't breathe fire or release a bolt of electricity from the sky either...)

I was always under the impression that Pokémon stated their names in the anime to make it easier for the children to learn the names quickly. If Pikachu is constantly going around stating its name, chances are one is going to remember it sooner or later. ^.^

Just my opinions on the matter.

Zennerick

The Researcher
    Years
  • I don't really care much for the Pokémon saying their names in the anime nor do I care for it in the Super Smash Bros. series. In fact, I much prefer the Pokémon make their little sounds.
    It seems like it's more natural to hear them make sounds than to state their name. Seriously, what animal goes around stating it's name?
    Pokémon are supposed to represent animals and behave very similar to them, so why wouldn't they just make slight verbal noises to express themselves as well?
    (Then again... Animals usually can't breathe fire or release a bolt of electricity from the sky either...)

I was always under the impression that Pokémon stated their names in the anime to make it easier for the children to learn the names quickly. If Pikachu is constantly going around stating its name, chances are one is going to remember it sooner or later. ^.^

Just my opinions on the matter.

The point is that in the TV shows, the Pokemon don't roar/growl/etc. (At least not that much).
    It would make more sense if the game went along with the TV show a little more (and the TV show to go along with the game).

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • They did do it once in Yellow with Pikachu's name and it took them a month to get it to fit and I believe GameFreak swore to never do that again. But they did say Pikachu's voice came out good.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • I don't think that's actually why they did that in the anime. I think that's just a reasoning someone came up with who doesn't like the way they say their names. Point is, the pokemon saying their names is part of the reason I like so many pokemon I'd otherwise not really care at all about (Piplup, Pikachu, Pachirisu, Roserade, Nuzleaf, and more)

But remember, it's not all of them that say their names. There are LOTS (Charizard, Onix, Steelix, Drifloon, Drifblim, etc. etc.) who just make noises. Which I am completely fine with. (I personally love the sound Drifloon makes).

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I dont really want to hear real voices but several variations of the established cries would be cool.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    I find the current sounds annoying, I don't know how long I could cope with the names being shouted at me.

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
  • they should have their voices in an RPG but when/if they use roar or something they shud have their original cries, because I don't remember the last time someone shouting PIKA! scared anyone.

Freestyle Farfetch'd

I'm Magneto
    Years
  • I've always found it totally daft how Pokemon ever said their own names in the first place. Why? Why the hell? Seriously, if their voiceboxes were able to produce enough sylables to say their own names, surely, they'd be able to say other words too.

I'm in favour of the current cries, and I think the voices would tick me off pretty quickly in games. The cries on the other hand, sometimes sound pretty cool, and offten, in a rather sad manner, I go to the pokedex, tap the repeat button, and hit play. Hah.

What I would be in favour of is having the cry sounding slightly different each time. Maybe just subtly. I know there's already variation depending on how much HP your Pokemon has, but hey, a little more would be cool.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • I've actually thought of this idea before. I think it'd be really cool, though it'd probably take up a LOT of space in the game. x__x;;; But I really liked it when they did it in Yellow. It was so awesome to hear Pikachu when it did it's different emotion thingies! :D

-Neko

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Proper voices for Pokémon and other characters in the games would be pretty deadly. To be honest, I think that making the shrieking sound that's meant to be a cry reiterate throughout all of the games was the most repetitive thing in them, even beating the unoriginality of the third and fourth generation Pokémon. If it's going to happen, it will be for a game on the Wii or another console seeing as it would take up lots of space on the normal DS game cartridge.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • So they have the cries of beasts. The name-saying is an adaptation for the Anime to make learning the 151 names easier for children.

Says who? This has never actually been stated, it's just a completely baseless theory created by people who think pokemon saying their names is stupid.

I like it as it is now, the electronic cries. Not that I would mind if they really changed the cries into them screaming their species' name. But it would just blow the concept of the games out of the window.

How exactly would pokemon saying their names in the game "blow the concept of the games out of the window"? The concept of the game is to capture all the pokemon and conquer the pokemon league. In other words, to be the greatest pokemon trainer. How does pokemon saying their names do ANYTHING to disrupt that purpose?

I've actually thought of this idea before. I think it'd be really cool, though it'd probably take up a LOT of space in the game. x__x;;; But I really liked it when they did it in Yellow. It was so awesome to hear Pikachu when it did it's different emotion thingies! :D

-Neko

I don't think it would take very much more space than the cries they already have. Just a 1 second audio clip for each, as it is now.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • I am in favor for the way it already is. Different cries for the game Pokemon make the Pokemon world much more complex and interesting, and it is always intriguing to find out what a Pokemon's in-game cry sounds like rather than just hearing the ever-so-expected anime cry. I'm just waiting for a game in which the Hero can actually say something instead of the game making decisions for them.

Freestyle Farfetch'd

I'm Magneto
    Years
  • I actually don't think space would be much of a problem now-a-days. Currently, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl only use the 64mb DS card, where the maximum size is 128mb. So, there's ample room for the voices to be included, there'd even be enough space for several different voices for each Pokemon. Compressed with mp3, each voice sample would only measure around 200-400kb, I'd wager. Maybe even less. So storage space isn't the issue, it's whether we'd actually want this or not.

Back