• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Reck's Sprite Expo

Reck

?????
Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    It appears that you still can revive threads, at least that part of the rules hasn't changed in a while. I currently like the style your tiles are/were in, so if it were up to me I'd say continue with that. Also welcome back!

Thanks! I'm probably going to continue on that style; however, I'm going to take my old tiles down and redo/modify a few of them before I put them all up again.

I would also like to say that I just added a new pokecenter and pokemart. They're based off of the old ones, but they have been edited, and, in my opinion, look better. What do you guys think?

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Hey I need some opinions here. I just made this house, and I'm curious if you like the outline, pallet, etc. So let me know what you think of it, please.
    259x5s0.png

Last edited:

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Well... I just updated the first post...
    Here's whats new:
    fedl03.png

anyone care to comment on it?

SL1MSHADY

WATCH THE THRONE
    Years
  • fedl03.png

I really like it, but make sure to make the tiles on top of the factory lighter than the sides. Also, make sure to have some purpose to your buildings; for example, the building with the long staircase can't really fit in with other tiles and looks awkward with other building tiles. This also goes for the first house. Try to make them have a purpose, but I love how stylistic you get with the designs on them.
    Your saturation is very interesting because it doesn't fit well with other people's tilesets, but works really well with each other.

34g56jk.png

Try to make your shadows a little darker; they look weird to me. Also, if you want, try to differentiate. Don't make Pallet Town the same old square! Try to add your own spin to it. After all, you're the one making the tiles, make what you want.

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    fedl03.png

I really like it, but make sure to make the tiles on top of the factory lighter than the sides. Also, make sure to have some purpose to your buildings; for example, the building with the long staircase can't really fit in with other tiles and looks awkward with other building tiles. This also goes for the first house. Try to make them have a purpose, but I love how stylistic you get with the designs on them.
    Your saturation is very interesting because it doesn't fit well with other people's tilesets, but works really well with each other.

34g56jk.png

Try to make your shadows a little darker; they look weird to me. Also, if you want, try to differentiate. Don't make Pallet Town the same old square! Try to add your own spin to it. After all, you're the one making the tiles, make what you want.

Finally a comment! Thanks for the crits man. I suppose I could do what you did to the crits I left in your thread and just blow them off (jkjk) but I'll actually give a few explainations for things.

As for the designs I've been trying to have a more contemporary style with my houses and have been simply running out of ideas and motivation because no one bothers to comment anymore. Also I believe your referencing the blue on the lab/factory correct? Those would be windows and sadly can only be made so realistic with a pallet of 3 colors. And the saturation worked with tiles made by several pixel artists back whenever this section was still active. (like a year or so ago.. Good times, lol)

As for the pallet town stuff, that's a project I ended when I came back recently and that image is merely a prototype, which was improved on and put in the first post, but removed when I remodeled. Also, I've removed shadows on the ground all together because they're hard to implement correctly into a game.

And you're right these are my tiles, but I adjust them as people deem fit otherwise no one would use them. Again, thanks for the post.

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    After a while of reviewing my tiles, I saw some very minute errors here and there, and decided to fix them up a bit. Also, I deleted a few tiles which I no longer thought were up to par. I have also made a few more tiles which can be viewed below and in the first post. Comments would greatly appreciated.

24msy07.png

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I have yet another update! This time I've added some more detail here and there, and I have upped the saturation a notable amount on a few things. I also have a few more buildings. Check the first post.

Here's quick look at the update:
    17fv5y.png

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Does everyone really not care about my tile work? If no one needs/enjoys them, I may as well stop, eh?

Well... Here's a preview of the update. It has added detail along with a few new items. Look at the first post for everything.
    vn2x04.png

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    Ah Reck, you never fail to disappoint me, your tiles are still all works of art. Like said before, the tiles are indeed a bit bland, but that's what makes them yours. They all flow together so well, and we can't always have bright tiles can we?

The new mountains though have something that concern me. I guess it's the pattern on top. Compared to other patterns on mountains, yours allows for some bland bits. But that's something I'm being really picky about, they are still good! The shading on everything is good, though I feel that the glass roof on the building in this set:
    24msy07.png

just doesn't look right to me. It still looks like part of the wall, not the roof. I dunno how to make that look right though.

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Ah Reck, you never fail to disappoint me, your tiles are still all works of art. Like said before, the tiles are indeed a bit bland, but that's what makes them yours. They all flow together so well, and we can't always have bright tiles can we?

The new mountains though have something that concern me. I guess it's the pattern on top. Compared to other patterns on mountains, yours allows for some bland bits. But that's something I'm being really picky about, they are still good! The shading on everything is good, though I feel that the glass roof on the building in this set:
    24msy07.png

just doesn't look right to me. It still looks like part of the wall, not the roof. I dunno how to make that look right though.

Thanks! As for the pallets lack of brightness, I've gradually been increasing the saturation here and there. Maybe some day it'll actually be really bright, I don't know haha.

Also, I'll look into the mountain tile whenever I get some time, I just need to add some more texture probably, and I agree that the glass roof is... weird, to say the least. I'm not really sure how to fix it or if its even possible to do so. I'm just gonna have to play around with some colors I guess.

Thanks for the comment by the way. :)

Also, does anyone have any ideas as to what I should make next? I'm at a loss.

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Well, I have decided to try my luck at some fakemon/pokeized things, and it has resulted in these:
    71qntv.png

Ones based on a tonberry and another on a floating eye. They were very fun to make, and I know that they are by no means great. Actually, I think they are quite bad. Any one care to comment on them?

Last edited:

TrackerXNinjaX

Traveling Artist
    Years
  • Not sure why no one is posting here=/. You are an amazing Tiler and I can appreciate this work. If I need tiles, which I will, I'll use these lol.

Back