• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red/Blue remakes on 3DS

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    It would have to be a yellow remake, and even then I'd be sceptical, just because ever since Yellow Game Freak have steered clear of the anime (remember, the anime is based on the games rather than the other way around).

I'm not so sure of that, considering that the most recent games included a pretty obvious reference to an anime episode. There are also several other anime references listed here (be warned that spin-off games are mixed in, but the list is mostly main series games). While GF hasn't made a direct anime tribute since Yellow, they haven't exactly ignored it, either.

Prime case is FRLG where instead of the Orange Islands Game Freak made up their own Sevii Islands.

And, the games were probably worse for it. The Sevii Islands had none of the personality and uniqueness that Orange had.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'm not so sure of that, considering that the most recent games included a pretty obvious reference to an anime episode. There are also several other anime references listed here (be warned that spin-off games are mixed in, but the list is mostly main series games). While GF hasn't made a direct anime tribute since Yellow, they haven't exactly ignored it, either.

And, the games were probably worse for it. The Sevii Islands had none of the personality and uniqueness that Orange had.
    Maybe I should have clarified that they haven't made references on the level of Yellow then... because those are significantly different to actively using areas from the anime, the latter which was clearly avoided in FRLG despite the obvious fit it would have provided. (There's a couple anime references in Pokemon XD I believe, but that's Genius Sonority and again pretty much on the same level as the Alain thing.) My point was that since Yellow, nothing of that sort (characters, plot events e.g. getting all starters and starting with Pikachu, or areas) from the anime have shown up to anywhere near that extent. That's significantly different. Given the opportunity in FRLG and the continued lack of any such areas in HGSS and the very recent ORAS (which threw in original sidestory in say Sea Mauville that is completely unique to the anime afaik), I feel confident that Game Freak don't have any intention of borrowing full areas from the anime for other remakes or games.

(And a lot of those listed on bulba are kinda iffy. Clair using a Gyarados included - Lance used one too, and it's not red like in the anime. They have an obvious tie and Gyarados is dragon-like, and I honestly can't say that sounds like an actual reference. Or the cinnabar one. 'GSC said Cinnabar was destroy by a volcano. There's a volcano in the anime!' is... really drawing a long bow there. Pokemon Puzzle League meanwhile is unapologetically based on the anime. And a large list are Smash Bros, which is another category in itself.)

Being ignorant of the anime I can't say if it would have been worse. I wasn't the greatest fan of the Sevii Islands but I'm not sure the Orange Island would have been necessarily better.

Guest123123

I'm more than fine with remakes because I like seeing earlier regions with updated mechanics, graphics, and music. But remakes of remakes...I feel like it'd be too much. If they did that, there might be more remakes than games with new adventures coming out.

In order for me to want it, there would have to significant changes that set it apart from RBY and FRLG other than the above mentioned updates, because FRLG did that for its time. Especially since Kanto is my second least favorite region. The only big change I can think of that would make me want the game(s) would be a brand new adventure in Kanto (which wouldn't really be a Red/Blue remake anyway), which I've seen suggested occasionally.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Maybe I should have clarified that they haven't made references on the level of Yellow then... because those are significantly different to actively using areas from the anime, the latter which was clearly avoided in FRLG despite the obvious fit it would have provided. (There's a couple anime references in Pokemon XD I believe, but that's Genius Sonority and again pretty much on the same level as the Alain thing.) My point was that since Yellow, nothing of that sort (characters, plot events e.g. getting all starters and starting with Pikachu, or areas) from the anime have shown up to anywhere near that extent. That's significantly different. Given the opportunity in FRLG and the continued lack of any such areas in HGSS and the very recent ORAS (which threw in original sidestory in say Sea Mauville that is completely unique to the anime afaik), I feel confident that Game Freak don't have any intention of borrowing full areas from the anime for other remakes or games.

Well, that's because the anime just isn't as popular as it was in 1999. But, the earlier seasons are still pretty nostalgic and iconic for a lot of older fans and are even part of "Gen 1" for them, for better or worse.

Lance used one too, and it's not red like in the anime.

That's because Lance had a Gyarados in the games from Day One, while Clair didn't get hers until HGSS (after she had appeared on the anime). Plus, Lance actually does own a blue Gyarados in the anime (an obvious reference the one he uses in the games).

Or the cinnabar one. 'GSC said Cinnabar was destroy by a volcano. There's a volcano in the anime!' is... really drawing a long bow there.

There was no evidence of a volcano being on Cinnabar Island in RBY. It was only in the anime that we actually saw a volcano there for the first time.

Being ignorant of the anime I can't say if it would have been worse. I wasn't the greatest fan of the Sevii Islands but I'm not sure the Orange Island would have been necessarily better.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Orange_Archipelago

The Orange Islands actually have their own League. That, alone, makes them better.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2021
    I don't see a Kanto remake coming out any time soon, unless it gets shoehorned into X/Y2 or something like that.
    It has been included in four straight generations, in remakes in the case of III and IV. The likely targeted fanbase (which are mostly genwunners, look at the numbers) would revolt anyway like they did with FR/LG. DPPt is now becoming the fan favorite, like how RSE was at the time when they got their remakes. And so on.
    I see more reason why they would remake Gen IV next, and then any subsequent gens along the line if Pokemon manages to live that long, than they would remake Gen I again. An all-generation game (if possible) is probably going to be Gamefreak's last project if it is to happen at all.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Well, that's because the anime just isn't as popular as it was in 1999. But, the earlier seasons are still pretty nostalgic and iconic for a lot of older fans and are even part of "Gen 1" for them, for better or worse.

That's because Lance had a Gyarados in the games from Day One, while Clair didn't get hers until HGSS (after she had appeared on the anime). Plus, Lance actually does own a blue Gyarados in the anime (an obvious reference the one he uses in the games).

There was no evidence of a volcano being on Cinnabar Island in RBY. It was only in the anime that we actually saw a volcano there for the first time.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Orange_Archipelago

The Orange Islands actually have their own League. That, alone, makes them better.
    Nor in the remakes did a volcano appear (nor GSC...) meanwhile HgSs showed a cooled dome. Given HGSS' depiction I assume that Cinnabar's volcano isn't the stereotypical volcano but more of like volcanos that one just think about as a mountain (btw I think Mt. Moon is based on a mountain that is also a volcano). Actually those tend to be some of the most deadliest as they just explode (think of Mt. St. Helens) and given the destruction of Cinnabar...so they should at least show the mountain.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Nor in the remakes did a volcano appear (nor GSC...) meanwhile HgSs showed a cooled dome. Given HGSS' depiction I assume that Cinnabar's volcano isn't the stereotypical volcano but more of like volcanos that one just think about as a mountain (btw I think Mt. Moon is based on a mountain that is also a volcano). Actually those tend to be some of the most deadliest as they just explode (think of Mt. St. Helens) and given the destruction of Cinnabar...so they should at least show the mountain.

Well, in GSC, we did see a mountain (with a water-filled crater on top) on Cinnabar, which would presumably be the volcano. HGSS, obviously, had better graphics and more space, so we got a more detailed and obvious volcano there.

A new remake should have some sort of mountain or volcano on Cinnabar. Thanks to the Gen 2 games, we know that one is supposed to be there, so why make it suddenly vanish in Gen 1 remakes?

And, in addition, I think the volcano should be explorable. Maybe, they could stick a Legendary or something deep in it?

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    The only things i want in a Red/Blue remake, and the only things i believe Red/Blue remake will ever need to be enjoyable and still feel fresh, but not distorting of what makes it a remake of the original. After all, the goal is still to introduce new fans and old to the original experience Red/Blue had:

more companionship with your starter Pokemon. Since their on the cover of the games, they should be highlighted more. Just like in Pokemon Yellow, being able to walk with you, see its mood, and perhaps a very small amount of features that help make Pokemon more dynamic.

Surfing Pikachu game. Through some form of event, a Pikachu with the surf ability should be added in.

More references to Pokemon Gold/Silver....perhaps an episode where you reach Mt silver and suddenly battle Gold (of course with a time gap).

If it absolutely needs it, i suppose day/night feature wont hurt. However, i do believe that if their going to put that feature to use, they should add some mini events for it. (i still don't want to see a reshuffled Pokemon roster for each game just for the sake of having nocturnal/diurnal Pokemon, that's not what Pokemon Red/Blue were about).

Above all else, an expansion on Mew/Mewtwo story, and of course an expansion/side quest for the legendary birds of Kanto. Eusine seems to be from Kanto, so why not incorporate him in?

THINGS I DONT WANT TO SEE:
    Customization i feel is absolutely unnecessary even for a modern Pokemon game, especially when its about a character who has had a set design and has grown iconic in the Pokemon community. if customization had to be done, i would say that it would be limited to different baseball caps, and shirts.

I don't want to see Mega Evolutions, or any specific game mechanics introduced in current gen....and let me clarify this especially, I don't want to see these things within the single player experience of the game. Obviously the game has to be capable of current gen mechanics in order to battle with friends and others, and it makes no sense to make a whole new network just for the remake. However, i don't want those things to be incorporated into the canon of the story (like what Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire did). it doesn't need to be done.

I don't want to see redesigned Kanto, Generation 1 kanto looked beautiful and have always imagined what it would look like in 3D. again, whats the point of a remake if they redesign completely just because it appears more modern?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well, in GSC, we did see a mountain (with a water-filled crater on top) on Cinnabar, which would presumably be the volcano. HGSS, obviously, had better graphics and more space, so we got a more detailed and obvious volcano there.

A new remake should have some sort of mountain or volcano on Cinnabar. Thanks to the Gen 2 games, we know that one is supposed to be there, so why make it suddenly vanish in Gen 1 remakes?

And, in addition, I think the volcano should be explorable. Maybe, they could stick a Legendary or something deep in it?

I think Cinnabar Island is actually the volcano's summit, and the crater we see in GSC and their remakes is just new rock formed by the lava that the volcano sent out during its eruption.

If they let us explore it in the time of Gen I, we may need Dive to access its interior.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2021
    The only things i want in a Red/Blue remake, and the only things i believe Red/Blue remake will ever need to be enjoyable and still feel fresh, but not distorting of what makes it a remake of the original. After all, the goal is still to introduce new fans and old to the original experience Red/Blue had:

more companionship with your starter Pokemon. Since their on the cover of the games, they should be highlighted more. Just like in Pokemon Yellow, being able to walk with you, see its mood, and perhaps a very small amount of features that help make Pokemon more dynamic.

Surfing Pikachu game. Through some form of event, a Pikachu with the surf ability should be added in.

More references to Pokemon Gold/Silver....perhaps an episode where you reach Mt silver and suddenly battle Gold (of course with a time gap).

If it absolutely needs it, i suppose day/night feature wont hurt. However, i do believe that if their going to put that feature to use, they should add some mini events for it. (i still don't want to see a reshuffled Pokemon roster for each game just for the sake of having nocturnal/diurnal Pokemon, that's not what Pokemon Red/Blue were about).

Above all else, an expansion on Mew/Mewtwo story, and of course an expansion/side quest for the legendary birds of Kanto. Eusine seems to be from Kanto, so why not incorporate him in?

Customization i feel is absolutely unnecessary even for a modern Pokemon game, especially when its about a character who has had a set design and has grown iconic in the Pokemon community. if customization had to be done, i would say that it would be limited to different baseball caps, and shirts.

I don't want to see Mega Evolutions, or any specific game mechanics introduced in current gen....and let me clarify this especially, I don't want to see these things within the single player experience of the game. Obviously the game has to be capable of current gen mechanics in order to battle with friends and others, and it makes no sense to make a whole new network just for the remake. However, i don't want those things to be incorporated into the canon of the story (like what Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire did). it doesn't need to be done.

I don't want to see redesigned Kanto, Generation 1 kanto looked beautiful and have always imagined what it would look like in 3D. again, whats the point of a remake if they redesign completely just because it appears more modern?

I don't think you get quite what a remake is supposed to be. A remake is supposed to modernize the game (including mechanics) as well as fix the flaws and introduce more things. What you described here sounds more like a port with updated graphics, which will be criticized by the fanbase more harshly than ORAS for not being a proper remake and the removal of features from previous generations, the latter of which is what the Gen VI games are also heavily criticized for. That, and the genwunners will still hate it like they did with FR/LG regardless.

Look at Metroid: Zero Mission (if you haven't played it, do so if you like Metroid). MZM not only updated the graphics to modern standards and redesigned everything to make it feel like a completely new game while retaining many of the basic design concepts of the original Metroid (which is very loose at times), but it also fixed whatever flaws the original had and it added plenty of new features and content, mostly to bring it up to modern standards. This new content ranged from series staples that appeared later on in the series like Speed Boost and Super Missiles to expanding many existing areas and the addition of entirely new areas.

Last edited:

lando

Hoenn's Champ
    Years
  • I'm honestly so tired of Kanto. If I see another Kanto game or game with Kanto in it I will rip my eyes from sockets. Like really do we really need to keep revisiting this region. I want something new I'm so tired of Kanto this Kanto that. Granted I'm a Hoennbaby I was in love with ORAS but I still want something new like Pokemon Z, Pokemon Delta Z, or Pokemon Delta Emerld Z.

Years
  • The only things i want in a Red/Blue remake, and the only things i believe Red/Blue remake will ever need to be enjoyable and still feel fresh, but not distorting of what makes it a remake of the original. After all, the goal is still to introduce new fans and old to the original experience Red/Blue had:

I would say GF agrees with you when it comes to the designs seeing how none of the three sets of generational remakes we've seen thus far change the region much...I even read someone on here call ORAS Hoenn as copy and Paste of RS Hoenn...

It would be nice though to see some changes like new areas to give it a fresh feel (Hoenn sadly lacked that). They could introduce the Mega story post game. Also a Kanto remake could explain why a Pokemon like Mewtwo which was man-made would have a Mega stone (unless the theory of how Mega stones were created is wrong). It could be that Mewtwonite are a mutation of Mewnite stones. Or perhaps Mega Stones were created from the DNA inside of Mew (which is connected with the rest) which would wouldn't be contradicted by ORAS as Super-ancient mons like Groudon and Kyogre lack Megas and the third super-ancient Pokemon, Rayquaza's Mega is so different from the rest.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I don't think you get quite what a remake is supposed to be.
    Considering I've played dozens of remakes....i have a pretty strong understanding of the levels of remake there are. ORAS is the only remake, that goes out of its way to not be.

A remake is supposed to modernize the game (including mechanics) as well as fix the flaws and introduce more things.
    Modernize the game would be graphically, mechanically, i already mentioned that they should add those lements for the sake of PvP. But not for the main aspect of the gameplay.
    What you described here sounds more like a port with updated graphics,
    I dont think pokemon fans know what a port is....or at least you're making them look like that.
    A port is literally taking the same game (with no major changes whatsoever -- including graphics) and putting it on a new system. For example: Mega Man Xtreme on e-shop is literally the exact same game that it was from when it came out in GBC cartridge. That is a Port.

An example of a "remake" is Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy III were remade for the DS in 3D. they expanded the story with some cutscenes, and added a few game mechanics to balance out the game. BUt they didn't "add" anything that the current Final Fantasies had. And they didn't need to. because the games were fine the way they were back then.

which will be criticized by the fanbase more harshly than ORAS for not being a proper remake and the removal of features from previous generations, the latter of which is what the Gen VI games are also heavily criticized for. That, and the genwunners will still hate it like they did with FR/LG regardless.

I can see why people hate ORAS....they went halfway....they changed the story, then call it an alternate universe, yet they wanted to still make it feel some-what like the original so they didn't add ALL the mechanics of the current Gen. so if it was an alternate universe of RSE, why even bother to not go all the way?

That's why it was criticized, but if it was a genuine, full remake of the original, that only modernized the graphics and modernized the mechanics (to the level that will only allow PvP between X&Y), AND they fully admitted this when they announced ORAS, then Fans wouldn't have expected so many new mechanics on a remake.

But they didn't, we saw something that was clearly nothing near the original, only in name....

Look at Metroid: Zero Mission (if you haven't played it, do so if you like Metroid). MZM not only updated the graphics and redesigned everything to make it feel like a completely new game while retaining the basic design of the original Metroid (which is very loose at times). But it also fixed whatever flaws the original had and it added plenty of new features and content; ranging from series staples that appeared later on in the series like Speed Boost and Super Missiles to expanding many existing areas and the addition of entirely new areas.
    Metroid Zero mission is actually criticized at times because it affects the story of Super Metroid, and Metroid Fusion as well. Getting those items such as Speed Boost and Grip jumping completely contradicts Super Metroid when Samus Aran learns these abilities through the animals of that land. Not only that but Metroid Fusion even references these creatures and how they unlocked her full potential.

Metroid Zero Mission is fun, but then again they remade a game that was nothing but gameplay and nothing about story...So remaking a game like that means nothing (except for the fans that enjoyed the story continuation from then on).

but they didn't need to remake Metroid Zero Mission the way they did. For example: They could've remade Metroid, Metroid II: Return of Samus, and Super Metroid as one continuous story. But they chose to remake Metroid only.

I would say GF agrees with you when it comes to the designs seeing how none of the three sets of generational remakes we've seen thus far change the region much...I even read someone on here call ORAS Hoenn as copy and Paste of RS Hoenn...

It would be nice though to see some changes like new areas to give it a fresh feel (Hoenn sadly lacked that). They could introduce the Mega story post game. Also a Kanto remake could explain why a Pokemon like Mewtwo which was man-made would have a Mega stone (unless the theory of how Mega stones were created is wrong). It could be that Mewtwonite are a mutation of Mewnite stones. Or perhaps Mega Stones were created from the DNA inside of Mew (which is connected with the rest) which would wouldn't be contradicted by ORAS as Super-ancient mons like Groudon and Kyogre lack Megas and the third super-ancient Pokemon, Rayquaza's Mega is so different from the rest.
    i would not like the aesthetics to change drastically......if fans can't appreciate what the original introduce...then don't buy remakes, or when you see remakes, don't get anticipated by them if you know their not remakes.

i could care less about the mega evolution story....it would've been nice if mega evolutions were properly introduced in X&Y rather than make a substory where its introduced in ORAS.

i value story a lot....i don't value retcons. And i don't want red/blue to be retconned.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I think Cinnabar Island is actually the volcano's summit, and the crater we see in GSC and their remakes is just new rock formed by the lava that the volcano sent out during its eruption.

If they let us explore it in the time of Gen I, we may need Dive to access its interior.

Then, put Dive in the game, then, and actually depict the island as a giant underwater volcano. I just want to see a volcano of some sort on the island.

Years
  • Considering I've played dozens of remakes....i have a pretty strong understanding of the levels of remake there are. ORAS is the only remake, that goes out of its way to not be.

Modernize the game would be graphically, mechanically, i already mentioned that they should add those lements for the sake of PvP. But not for the main aspect of the gameplay.

I dont think pokemon fans know what a port is....or at least you're making them look like that.
    A port is literally taking the same game (with no major changes whatsoever -- including graphics) and putting it on a new system. For example: Mega Man Xtreme on e-shop is literally the exact same game that it was from when it came out in GBC cartridge. That is a Port.

An example of a "remake" is Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy III were remade for the DS in 3D. they expanded the story with some cutscenes, and added a few game mechanics to balance out the game. BUt they didn't "add" anything that the current Final Fantasies had. And they didn't need to. because the games were fine the way they were back then.

I can see why people hate ORAS....they went halfway....they changed the story, then call it an alternate universe, yet they wanted to still make it feel some-what like the original so they didn't add ALL the mechanics of the current Gen. so if it was an alternate universe of RSE, why even bother to not go all the way?

That's why it was criticized, but if it was a genuine, full remake of the original, that only modernized the graphics and modernized the mechanics (to the level that will only allow PvP between X&Y), AND they fully admitted this when they announced ORAS, then Fans wouldn't have expected so many new mechanics on a remake.

But they didn't, we saw something that was clearly nothing near the original, only in name....

Metroid Zero mission is actually criticized at times because it affects the story of Super Metroid, and Metroid Fusion as well. Getting those items such as Speed Boost and Grip jumping completely contradicts Super Metroid when Samus Aran learns these abilities through the animals of that land. Not only that but Metroid Fusion even references these creatures and how they unlocked her full potential.

Metroid Zero Mission is fun, but then again they remade a game that was nothing but gameplay and nothing about story...So remaking a game like that means nothing (except for the fans that enjoyed the story continuation from then on).

but they didn't need to remake Metroid Zero Mission the way they did. For example: They could've remade Metroid, Metroid II: Return of Samus, and Super Metroid as one continuous story. But they chose to remake Metroid only.

i would not like the aesthetics to change drastically......if fans can't appreciate what the original introduce...then don't buy remakes, or when you see remakes, don't get anticipated by them if you know their not remakes.

i could care less about the mega evolution story....it would've been nice if mega evolutions were properly introduced in X&Y rather than make a substory where its introduced in ORAS.

i value story a lot....i don't value retcons. And i don't want red/blue to be retconned.
    Technically RB were already retconned...by ORAS which practically made it known that the remake world is not the same as the originals (in total there should be three main lines RGBY-GSC then RSEFrLg-DPPHgSs-BW-B2W2, and then XY-OrAs). Also don't forget that Magneton being part steel contradicts GSC being the discovery of Steel types.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Technically RB were already retconned...by ORAS which practically made it known that the remake world is not the same as the originals (in total there should be three main lines RGBY-GSC then RSEFrLg-DPPHgSs-BW-B2W2, and then XY-OrAs). Also don't forget that Magneton being part steel contradicts GSC being the discovery of Steel types.

Exactly. This, alone, is a big reason why Gen 1 needs another remake. Neither RBY or FRLG exist in the current timeline.

Years
  • It'll have to be this Gen though as a Gen VII Gen I remake would retcon the current timeline...interestingly so would a Gen VII (another) gen II remake in addition to DP, and BW remake (and in a way so would B2W2 but that one can get away with it). Considering Gen VI looks like it only two more games left...and both are likely Kalos games Gen I remakes for this Gen are low. So Gen VII should start a new timeline that takes place at the same time as the Kanto saga like Gen III is with FrLg. Eitherway a Kanto re-remake isn't going to part of the current timeline that ORAS showed (and XY established) as it'll retcon a whole gen... (sadly Hoenn will be left behind while Kalos's remake would fit right in (unless if another Gen VII-remake scenerio occurs). Unless if Emerald is remade next gen alongside Gen I Kanto (Yellow or Blue...if Blue it should be AquamarineBlue to fit with a DeltaEmerald) to fix things with the regions + timeline).

I sort of hope that the two games left is proven wrong and GF will simply remake all the gens this Gen. GF does want to slow down the rate of new mons. Perhaps the next pair will be Kanto-Johto remakes followed by DP remakes which then are followed by Grey and Grey2 as Gen V remakes then Z to finish things off. GF did say they wanted to end this Gen differently a simple third version after Gen I-V remakes would be a surprise...
    Unlikely but then again Nintendo did recently mention they have a remake strategy when it comes to their properties (look at all the remakes...Xenoblade 3D, MM3D (shortly after OoT3D came out), ORAS, etc.) and would look to remaking more games.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    How do you know that Gen 7 won't be part of the same timeline? Gen 4 didn't retcon the timeline from Gen 3, and Gen 5 didn't retcon the timeline from Gen 4, after all. The only Gens that established new timelines were Gens 3 and 6.

Gen 1 remakes can easily fit into Gen 7 and still be part of the same timeline as ORAS. We don't know anything about what Gen 7's main games will be and when they'll take place, after all.

Years
  • How do you know that Gen 7 won't be part of the same timeline? Gen 4 didn't retcon the timeline from Gen 3, and Gen 5 didn't retcon the timeline from Gen 4, after all. The only Gens that established new timelines were Gens 3 and 6.

Gen 1 remakes can easily fit into Gen 7 and still be part of the same timeline as ORAS. We don't know anything about what Gen 7's main games will be and when they'll take place, after all.
    Because the Gen 7 Pokemon's existence itself will retcon the Pokemon known in Gen VI if it (or a game in Gen VII) takes place prior to XY like how RS(E) retconed the Pokemon known by Gen II's time with FrLg cementing the retcon with Gen III mons appearing when they shouldn't have been known. Meanwhile Gen II built on Gen I's known Pokemon as it was in the future, like wise Gens IV and V built on the known Pokemon from Gen III as the gens were after one another in the timeline (XY itself does this, and likely prior to ORAS Gen VI originally going to be part of said timeline). It'll be fine if a Gen 7 game took place after XY but as soon as one introduces something in between ORAS and XY, or even during like Gen I (and to some extent B2W2) remakes would and allow it to have Gen VII mons it'll retcon the known mons established by the time XY take place, more so than Megas do.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Because the Gen 7 Pokemon's existence itself will retcon the Pokemon known in Gen VI if it (or a game in Gen VII) takes place prior to XY like how RS(E) retconed the Pokemon known by Gen II's time with FrLg cementing the retcon with Gen III mons appearing when they shouldn't have been known. Meanwhile Gen II built on Gen I's known Pokemon as it was in the future, like wise Gens IV and V built on the known Pokemon from Gen III as the gens were after one another in the timeline (XY itself does this, and likely prior to ORAS Gen VI originally going to be part of said timeline). It'll be fine if a Gen 7 game took place after XY but as soon as one introduces something in between ORAS and XY, or even during like Gen I (and to some extent B2W2) remakes would and allow it to have Gen VII mons it'll retcon the known mons established by the time XY take place, more so than Megas do.

Reposting my visitor message to you...

Man, Gen 6 really did a number on the games' timeline, didn't it?

In a sense, they already wrote themselves in a corner when they chose to set XY during B2W2 and didn't completely hit the reset button like they did way back with the original RSE.

I'm sure GF already knew that remaking RSE would require another "reboot" of sorts, since the games take place before GSC/HGSS on the timeline and were, themselves, the original reboot. But, on the other hand, I don't think GF was entirely sure on how to do this.

The easy way out would've been to just hit the reset button with XY and set it during the same time as Gens 1 and 3, but then, they ran the risk of alienating more people, especially when you consider how soon XY came out after B2W2. That was obviously something GF was trying to avoid.

In short, GF didn't plan this new timeline out. At all. :sideways:

(And, that's not even considering the fact that they may have already screwed things up by introducing new Megas in ORAS and not patching them to exist in XY.)

Back