• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Red & Blue

zirico

M.C.F.C
    Years
    I'm laughing at all of you right now. You REALLY think they are going to change his name to Green? Green is the girl in FRLG, and Gary is the Anime counterpart, and they have never used Anime names before.

END OF STORY.

NO, Leaf is the girl from FRLG and Green/Blue/Gary are the same person or couterpart.

Eggie Poo Poo

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    Years
    NO, Leaf is the girl from FRLG and Green/Blue/Gary are the same person or couterpart.

Okay, I'll give you that. But why in god's name would Nintendo ever get the urge to change it to Green? Blue was his name, hence it will be Blue now. I can 100% confirm it for you without a single image or video.

Greene1516

Scratching the surface...
    Years
    I don't think its noobish as you dont see people named after colours very often, and the succes of the anime might tempt them to changed his name to Gary. I wouldn't like it but it could happen.

No it couldn't. Even in Yellow, the game based after the Anime, Gary was still called Blue.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
    Why green, whether they're game counter parts or not, we know they're meant to be Gary and Ash, so why all this weird name change stuff, I never got it, his name should be Gary, red should be Ash...

Captain Riolu

Ace Detective
    Years
    Why green, whether they're game counter parts or not, we know they're meant to be Gary and Ash, so why all this weird name change stuff, I never got it, his name should be Gary, red should be Ash...
    As stated before, Gary and Ash are anime names. The only game with references to the anime was Yellow, and that's that. The names got changed TO Gary and Ash. So their names weren't "meant" to be Gary and Ash, that's like saying you're "meant" to only be able to beat Sabrina with a Haunter by making her laugh.

zirico

M.C.F.C
    Years
    No it couldn't. Even in Yellow, the game based after the Anime, Gary was still called Blue.

Read my post you fool, I was saying that it's not necaserily noobish to think that he could be called Gary, I know it won't hapen and I don' want it to happen but there is a 0.001% chance that it would happen.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Either way, the Gym Leader of the Viridian Gym will be RED's former rival, because that is what he was in the original GSC. I don't see why people are questioning that.

As for whether or not he will be named BLUE, I dunno. The Japanese first gen games were called Red/Green, the American first gen games were Red/Blue. The remakes on both sides went back to Red/Green. So I'd say there's a 3/4 chance of him being named GREEN, and a 1/4 chance of him being named BLUE.

/This.

It is no doubt that Red's former rival will be back. There shouldn't be anyone more suitable throughout the game to take the position in Viridian City's gym besides the fact of a returning Giovanni. Which in this case, possibilities remain slim.

However, seeing as though the remakes of RBGY were the same for both the US and Japan as well as other countries [FireRed and LeafGreen], then there is a higher possibility of the new leader being named Green over Blue. Although it isn't to be proven as yet, there is still a possible chance.

With Pokémon, there is always a possible chance.

CrashmanX

Mechamon
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Mar 22, 2016
    Ok, if I'm not mistaken (which in this case I doubt I am) the anime is based of the games (i know this for fact) so I doubt they'll use the anime names, next the original characters were like this: Red was the Hero, Green USED to be the Rival (But in english became Blue) and Green was a Female version of said characters (Although you keep calling here Leaf which I've never heard till now). IMO they will Make his name Either Green or Blue, more than likely blue since thats what the Americans know him by but there is still a chance of him being called Green. Red of course will most likely stay red, I wonder though If you will meet Green (WOMAN) in the game at all though since you didnt in the first?

zirico

M.C.F.C
    Years
    Ok, if I'm not mistaken (which in this case I doubt I am) the anime is based of the games (i know this for fact) so I doubt they'll use the anime names, next the original characters were like this: Red was the Hero, Green USED to be the Rival (But in english became Blue) and Green was a Female version of said characters (Although you keep calling here Leaf which I've never heard till now). IMO they will Make his name Either Green or Blue, more than likely blue since thats what the Americans know him by but there is still a chance of him being called Green. Red of course will most likely stay red, I wonder though If you will meet Green (WOMAN) in the game at all though since you didnt in the first?

He will be called Green, and mybe Blue in the UK and US versions. End of story.

CrashmanX

Mechamon
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Mar 22, 2016
    He will be called Green, and mybe Blue in the UK and US versions. End of story.

You know this for fact? No, then I suggest you be open minded. There is still room for speculation just because you ASSUME he will be green doesnt mean anything, look at FR/LG there was no auto name for the Rival to be blue in the english one, maybe they'll change it, maybe they wont. Let me ask you this though, if NofA translated everything exactly the same, why would they change that to Green? Wouldnt it take less effort for them to leave it as green?

iwuzhere9

Ye Olde Doofus
    Years
    You know this for fact? No, then I suggest you be open minded. There is still room for speculation just because you ASSUME he will be green doesnt mean anything, look at FR/LG there was no auto name for the Rival to be blue in the english one, maybe they'll change it, maybe they wont. Let me ask you this though, if NofA translated everything exactly the same, why would they change that to Green? Wouldnt it take less effort for them to leave it as green?

It might take less effort to leave it as Green, but seeing as how it would be unfamiliar to players in the US (and other other areas where your rival in R/B and the Viridian Gym Leader in G/S/C was named Blue) they will likely keep it that way to keep fans on that same nostalgia track instead of confusing them.
    Also, seeing as how its been translated from one language to another, it may not be that much less work after all o.o

iwuzhere9

Ye Olde Doofus
    Years
    I honestly don't think the last gym leader in Kanto will be named Blue. The translator will most likely go by the names used in FireRed and LeafGreen. HeartGold and SoulSilver are sequels to FireRed and LeafGreen whereas GSC were sequels to RBY. Not everything is going to go by the originals. New players who didn't play the originals, but played FrLg would be confused if his name was Blue because there wasn't an OceanBlue version. (Notice how the houses in Pallet look very similar to FRLG's Pallet Town.) Now, I suggest we let the translators deal with this oh-so-major, life-altering dilemma, where names are soooo important to video game characters. haha
    Well, while I see and understand your point entirely, this discussion exists to not only debate what we THINK it MIGHT be, but also to keep us unhealthily hyped for this game. XP

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
    Years
    It seems likely, and it would be nice if the confusion of whether Green is the guy or girl would just go away because of the weirdness of the dub. Plus the little kids who never played RBYGGSC and only had FrLg might be confused if he was named Blue and wonder where the name came from.

Back