• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Red vs. Lance

G-Virus

The B.O.W. King
Years
  • I thought Red was the hardest of them all. The only reason I was able to beat him is because of the lvl.100 Houndoom I had. I would challenge him again, but he jumped off the clifff after I beat him bad you can't :l.

Years
  • I had more of a problem with Lance actually. At the time, I didn't have a great team against dragon types. (Especially his three Dragonite.) So that made it a tough battle.

§acred†Beo!

F.A.T.E.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    Red was tough, but I have yet to beat Lance the second time around. I just don't have a team set up to go against Dragon types.

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    Red was harder. His balanced team required more strategy than Lance and he had a tendency to recover his Pokemon more with Full Restores, which was irritating.

I thought Red was the hardest of them all. The only reason I was able to beat him is because of the lvl.100 Houndoom I had. I would challenge him again, but he jumped off the clifff after I beat him bad you can't :l.

Erm, you do realise that you can rechallenge Red every time you rebeat the Elite Four?

cipE

Breaking
    Years
  • When I first read the thread title, I thought you meant who
    would win against eachother.

Well.. the harder one against me was Red. He had a larger
    variety of Pokemon that was harder against my small team.
    Lance just takes a couple of ice and eletric attacks.

galex23

Is Effing Awesome!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2022
    its weird cause all of reds pokemon were lvl 80+ and all of mine were 70- yet i beat him easily. The only one i had trouble with was his snorlax

tsutaajafan95

#1 Tsutaaja fan
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2010
    I found red to be harder since i couldn't bring my whole team with me to make room for my Hm slaves. lance was pretty difficult due to his dragons but i sweeped him easily with my kyogre.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Well I'm pretty sure Ash since I lost to him about 5 times... I beat lance the first time since his weakness is really just Ice and electric was x4 effective against gyarados!

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
  • Red was a little harder for me as all my Poke's were under level 65 when I fought him plus the majority of my team was weak to Ice moves and that Lapras was a pain. It took me 2 tries to beat him!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Red. Always Red.

Ah, it depends on if we want to include Lance's Rematch. I've had a problem with Lance in his rematch, while I just went to fight Red on a whim and actually won with level 60ish Pokemon. But of course, this could be because I refused to have my Feraligatr die. :U

Kazbat028

The Only Guy With a Girlfriend
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    I swept Lance with my EV trained Starmie. Red was WAY more fun and challenging, even when Starmie was lvl. 90.

Primal Ownage

~Pure Ownage~
    Years
  • Lance has more of a "easy to beat" team, but the pokemon are pretty rare and have good moves. But Red has the upper hand because he trained his pokemon well with care, and probably has them EV trained as well.
    I'll go with Red.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I got kicked off Mt. Silver the first time I found Red, but after that it was not so hard. Mewtwo just made it so much easier.

In any case, Red>Lance. Fact. Lance, while more charismatic, is simply not Red. Maybe it's just because he's the playable character from the first installment, but I kinda got this impression that he was a superior to your character. "I already did what you did, before you did". That kinda thing. Blue's little vendetta helped it along. Although, the image of Red on the other side of a stone bridge in a cavern out-awesomes him on top of a mountain in the snow. If it was defrosted and maybe storming or something it would have been better.

Xaldyn

Viridian's Pokemon Master
    Years
  • Both of them were very tough. But I found Lance more challenging. In a fight between the two, Red would win. But Lance Vs Me was much harder than Red Vs Me. Mainly Because of Lance's RIDICULOUSLY high leveled dragon types. (Assuming you meant Lance # 2.) And Lance's pokemon were weak to types I didn't have. So it was tougher than nails...Red on the other hand wasn't so hard. Mainly because of his variety of pokemon types. It gives him realistic weaknesses, unlike Lance. Oh, and I want to brag because I saw people whining about their levels of pokemon. At the end of my game my entire team was no higher than lv 65. And I only used my 14 rare candies AFTER I beat Red. It's all a matter of revives and waiting until the opponent runs out of moves. It's a cheap trick, and it takes a while, but it works. Considering how expensive and how hard it is, it doesn't matter to me how cheap it is. lol And Red's Pikachu was the easiest part btw. It Volt Tackled itself to death numerous times. It was funny. (I beat this game like 4 times. I know I'm a nerd don't remind me) lol

PokeLawry

Pokemon Master!
    Years
  • RED! First time i beat him (After alot of times trying) My ds was on RED, Ready to die. and i was scared. but i beat him, finally. His Pikachu was amazing, so amazing that i had to get an action replay and steal it. BUT! I Never use it, blah. My Pikachu is better anyway. ;)

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    So far, Red.

I challenged Red with my Pokémon levels 50-52 (I keep their levels as close as possible together). I took out his Pikachu, Venusaur and Charizard, but got killed by his Aerodactyl :/

Lance was an absolute struggle, as my Pokémon were the same level (50-52, a few had leveled a little bit due to the elite four), but he still had some Pokémon like twenty levels higher than mine. The only reason I won was because my Snorlax managed to hang on through his main Dragonite's Draco Meteor, so it just got weaker and weaker, so I managed to spam Dragon Dance on my Kingdra to take down the last two.

My team btw is Snorlax, Scyther, Kingdra, Houndoom, Rhydon and Lucario.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • I find Red harder to battle because of his higher leveled Pokemons. Lance was also difficult to defeat, especially during the rematch, but he fell short to Red's array of different types. It took me multiple tries to beat each one, and I had fun too. It's been a while since anyone has made me rethink my strategy and try again.

Back